2016-2017 New York Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just accepted by email!!!! I'm so freaking stoked.
Interviewed Early Feb.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 12 users
I was put on hold November 9th so I'm wondering if they're going in order. So far I've seen people come off hold in October. Does anyone know if any November holds have been contacted yet?
I think I saw some November holds being taken off a few pages back. I was put on hold in early November, and I still have silence.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed 2/28. Accepted today (3/22)! Also, a big congratulations to everyone accepted. :highfive:

Reactions: 7 users
Interviewed 2/28. Accepted today (3/22)! Also, a big congratulations to everyone accepted. :highfive:
Congrats, that's awesome news!! I interviewed the week after you, so hopefully I'll hear back soon.

Reactions: 2 users
For those who have been accepted and intend to attend, what factors have led you to choose this school over other schools youve been accepted to?

Just accepted by email!!!! I'm so freaking stoked.
Interviewed Early Feb.

Me too! Interviewed 02/07. Just curious, what was everyone's favorite/ least favorite part of this school?

Reactions: 3 users
Time really flies. I remember being in your shoes this time last year!

Congrats to all those who have been accepted and for those that weren't don't give up. Take a look at how you can improve your application for the upcoming cycle including CASPer. What I found really helpful for CASPer were the practice tests from APE.

SDN is going to be raffling them away for free in early april as part of admissions prep week: **SDN ADMISSIONS PREP WEEK RAFFLE** FREE Advisor Prep® Full Length CASPer SIM™ Practice Tests

Congrats, that's awesome news!! I interviewed the week after you, so hopefully I'll hear back soon.
Do you think that your interview day will be in a new batch of acceptances (e.g. of all March interviewees) in a few weeks, or that one could even hear next week?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think that your interview day will be in a new batch of acceptances (e.g. of all March interviewees) in a few weeks, or that one could even hear next week?
I'm expecting I'll hear back with a new batch of decisions, probably in 3-4 weeks, but I'm still hopeful that we'll hear back sooner.

Reactions: 1 user
Guys, I have been accepted here and to some other schools andtrying to make a decision has been tough. I really liked the program/people here, but was wondering if any M1s or M2s are lurking here , why did you choose the school? If any M3 is here , how are rotations, do you have an active role in each rotation, where are you placed?

Is there a deadline to submit the deposit? Also, when do accepted students typically hear back about their financial awards?

Does anyone recommend things to do in Valhalla the day before the interview? I got an early flight & I want to explore.

Does anyone recommend things to do in Valhalla the day before the interview? I got an early flight & I want to explore.

The white plains mall is a pretty good size to walk around. Valhalla itself doesn't have too much from what I know, but Westchester is a cool county to explore - plus NYC isn't too far of a trip, especially if you're not from the east coast it's worth the train ride in

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Any suggestions on whether to buy a car before or after moving? I'm from the west coast.

II for this Thursday the 30th. Will be declining the offer -- hope one of you guys gets it!
For those interested, I was put on hold on 11/3.

Reactions: 4 users

Tarrytown! Great food and nice walking, there's a beautiful river walk and you can see Manhattan.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 users
Any suggestions on whether to buy a car before or after moving? I'm from the west coast.

I'd say if you can buy it and ship it you should for convenience. It will be hard to juggle buying a car with learning to do med school. If you don't get one and ship it it's no big deal, you'll find one here eventually.

Finally got the expected (yet oddly formatted) rejection email. Goodbye NYMC thread! Best of luck to those of you still waiting to hear back:horns:

Does anyone know when the last interview date here is??

I heard it was 4/6? Maybe that wasn't the correct info

I think so too, the admissions people mentioned that there were only 2 more interview dates after today

Hey guys!

M2 here, I saw a few people asking for a pro's/con's list, so I'll give my 2cents:

Pros:
- Small campus/strong community feel. You will see your friends, classmates, and professors everyday. You can walk into a professors office anytime and the clinicians at the medical center next door are very receptive to students who would like to shadow/perform research during their preclinical years. 2nd year is primarily taught by clinicians so you will have the opportunity to meet them throughout the year as well.

- Beautiful campus and great location. Housing is available on campus so you can have a 5 min walk to campus or the medical center next door. If you enjoy the outdoors you have amazing hiking, running trails, skiing/snowboarding, biking, and rock climbing (very popular at our school!) nearby. If you enjoy the city, White Plains (lots of bars/restaurants) is 7-10 min away, and NYC is 40 min away.

- Diverse clinical opportunities with a lot of choice in where you go. NYMC has four main clinical sites and several minor sites.
1) Westchester Medical Center - Level 1 Trauma Center, wealthy area, receives complex cases and trauma from throughout the Hudson Valley, lots of new technology.
2) Metropolitan Hospital Center - Level 2 Trauma Center, NYC public hospital. Community hospital serving the Spanish Harlem area of Manhattan. A lot of disease that correlates with the demographics of the population.
3) Brookdale University Hospital - Level 1 Trauma Center, lower socioeconomic area of Brooklyn. Lots of trauma, gunshots, etc. Students get a lot of hands on experience.
4) St. Josephs Regional Medical Center - Level II Trauma Center, Paterson NJ. Diverse array of cases. Students spend an entire year here so you have the opportunity to know the clinicians/staff very well.

- Great transition to life after undergrad. Less parties, more chilling at bars, recreational activities, intramurals (flag football, basketball, ultimate frisbee), study time, free time to hang with friends, explore the city, and have fun!

Cons:
- Tuition is expensive. Financial aid is primarily need based.
- The first two years are a bit of a transition if you are used to a big city as NYMC is located in a wealthy, suburban county north of NYC. This is something I initially struggled with, but now after spending a day in the hectic environment of NYC I love camping back home to campus.

Good luck with your applications!

Reactions: 11 users
Hey guys!

M2 here, I saw a few people asking for a pro's/con's list, so I'll give my 2cents:

Pros:
- Small campus/strong community feel. You will see your friends, classmates, and professors everyday. You can walk into a professors office anytime and the clinicians at the medical center next door are very receptive to students who would like to shadow/perform research during their preclinical years. 2nd year is primarily taught by clinicians so you will have the opportunity to meet them throughout the year as well.

- Beautiful campus and great location. Housing is available on campus so you can have a 5 min walk to campus or the medical center next door. If you enjoy the outdoors you have amazing hiking, running trails, skiing/snowboarding, biking, and rock climbing (very popular at our school!) nearby. If you enjoy the city, White Plains (lots of bars/restaurants) is 7-10 min away, and NYC is 40 min away.

- Diverse clinical opportunities with a lot of choice in where you go. NYMC has four main clinical sites and several minor sites.
1) Westchester Medical Center - Level 1 Trauma Center, wealthy area, receives complex cases and trauma from throughout the Hudson Valley, lots of new technology.
2) Metropolitan Hospital Center - Level 2 Trauma Center, NYC public hospital. Community hospital serving the Spanish Harlem area of Manhattan. A lot of disease that correlates with the demographics of the population.
3) Brookdale University Hospital - Level 1 Trauma Center, lower socioeconomic area of Brooklyn. Lots of trauma, gunshots, etc. Students get a lot of hands on experience.
4) St. Josephs Regional Medical Center - Level II Trauma Center, Paterson NJ. Diverse array of cases. Students spend an entire year here so you have the opportunity to know the clinicians/staff very well.

- Great transition to life after undergrad. Less parties, more chilling at bars, recreational activities, intramurals (flag football, basketball, ultimate frisbee), study time, free time to hang with friends, explore the city, and have fun!

Cons:
- Tuition is expensive. Financial aid is primarily need based.
- The first two years are a bit of a transition if you are used to a big city as NYMC is located in a wealthy, suburban county north of NYC. This is something I initially struggled with, but now after spending a day in the hectic environment of NYC I love camping back home to campus.

Good luck with your applications!

Thanks!! Quick question- how do we get assigned clerkship sites? lottery?

Thanks!! Quick question- how do we get assigned clerkship sites? lottery?

Yes, it's a lottery system where you are able to rank the different sites for each rotation. Overall, it works out pretty well and there's always the option to trade with your peers.

Interviewed 1/12, waitlisted on 2/21. Has anyone had any news on waitlist movement or any knowledge of when we can expect movement?

Hey Guys,

I am trying to access the 2017 match list but the website doesn't seem to be showing anything. Can any current students post this year's match list please!

Got an email today asking if I was still seriously interested in staying on the wait list.

Has anyone heard anything back about financial aid/ scholarship award? Or is it still too early? Thanks so much :)

Traffic day, this year 5/1. That's where my money is, although they don't officially say.

Any way we can receive acceptances off of the waitlist before traffic day? *impatient*

Last year's applicants who interviewed mid-late March heard back Wednesday April 6. Anyone think we might hear back tomorrow?

Fingers crossed for good news soon.

Has anyone heard anything back about financial aid/ scholarship award? Or is it still too early? Thanks so much :)

I called the financial aid office last week and the lady who answered said that they are just stamping fin aid packets as received right now, they won't make any decisions until at least next month and financial aid packages likely won't be ready until June. I was curious about this as I'm deciding between nymc and my state school. It would've been nice to know if I qualified for any institutional aid before traffic day but oh well, I'll likely be attending my state school.

I called the financial aid office last week and the lady who answered said that they are just stamping fin aid packets as received right now, they won't make any decisions until at least next month and financial aid packages likely won't be ready until June. I was curious about this as I'm deciding between nymc and my state school. It would've been nice to know if I qualified for any institutional aid before traffic day but oh well, I'll likely be attending my state school.

Thanks for the update!