2016-2017 New York Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is there a page for NYMC students looking for off-campus roommates and apartments? I know there is the accepted students page but maybe another one?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does NYMC offer merit scholarships? Has anyone had luck contacting the school about this?

Does NYMC offer merit scholarships? Has anyone had luck contacting the school about this?

I actually just got an email today saying I got a scholarship, not for a ton, but I'll take what I can get haha

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
I actually just got an email today saying I got a scholarship, not for a ton, but I'll take what I can get haha

Congrats! I got an email a few weeks ago with an offer too and I definitely didn't expect it, so it's great haha. I wonder how long before we know about need based grants

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone have specific suggestions on off-campus housing? Apartment complexes or areas that are animal friendly and a significant other might stay sane in?

Does anyone have specific suggestions on off-campus housing? Apartment complexes or areas that are animal friendly and a significant other might stay sane in?
Hi Slip! I just signed a lease on Saturday for a 2 bedroom pet-friendly apartment in Mamaroneck, NY. It's only a 20-minute drive to campus and the area is beautiful. It was the best price I could find for those two things...PM me if you want me details :)

A question for current students:

I'm planning a bachelor party and realize I likely can't attend. To keep the dream alive, is it more realistic to be out of town on a Monday or a Friday during the first semester? Just wondering if mandatory labs, etc. are usually on the same days.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Slip! I just signed a lease on Saturday for a 2 bedroom pet-friendly apartment in Mamaroneck, NY. It's only a 20-minute drive to campus and the area is beautiful. It was the best price I could find for those two things...PM me if you want me details :)

How were you able to find another NYMC student as a roommate (if you did at all). Having trouble connecting with others looking for off campus

How were you able to find another NYMC student as a roommate (if you did at all). Having trouble connecting with others looking for off campus
I didn't find another NYMC student as a roommate...I'll be living with my SO. I've noticed that the requests for roommates on the FB page are surprisingly quiet! I'm not sure what's going on there...best of luck though!!

Reactions: 1 user
I didn't find another NYMC student as a roommate...I'll be living with my SO. I've noticed that the requests for roommates on the FB page are surprisingly quiet! I'm not sure what's going on there...best of luck though!!
I'm guessing it's because people are waiting for the housing application to open up and once that gets settled, those who decide to live off-campus will reach out...I'm looking at apartment complexes in Elmsford and White Plains, both 10 minute drives to campus! I'm also hearing of nice condos and homes in Tarrytown/Sleepy Hallow.

@theriddlerxd The roommate search will probably pick up once people are settled on where to live. Facebook page is your best bet, don't panic yet there's still a good amount of time left!

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Hey all,

I just withdrew my acceptance. Hope to see someone on the waitlist get it soon!

Reactions: 3 users
Hi I'm new here :) I was accepted off the W/L a few weeks ago and am planning on attending in the fall, and I was wondering how we join the facebook group? I have sent a request but have had no luck. If anyone has any information to help, it would be very much appreciated! Looking forward to meeting you all :)

Hi I'm new here :) I was accepted off the W/L a few weeks ago and am planning on attending in the fall, and I was wondering how we join the facebook group? I have sent a request but have had no luck. If anyone has any information to help, it would be very much appreciated! Looking forward to meeting you all :)

I messaged one of the current students to add me and got in shortly after!

Just received my first acceptance, I will be declining all my other waitlists and lock into NYMC my top choice! :D Is there a facebook page for all incoming students?

Reactions: 9 users
Anyone know when we can expect to see a deposit return for those accepted but withdrew?

Does anyone know how to apply for on campus housing?

Does anyone know how to apply for on campus housing?

You should have gotten an email about applying, if not, go to the school website's housing page and there should be a link on the left hand side to download and fill out an application. It does require a $200 non-refundable fee though

Congratulations! @Home_Run_Ball yes there is a group, you should be added automatically although when I got in I had to message an admin

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Got off the waitlist at another school, so I withdrew my acceptance here! Best of luck to you all

Reactions: 3 users
Got accepted off the waitlist this morning!! I had given up this cycle but this is an amazing surprise!!

Reactions: 9 users
Anyone know if there was an ATM on campus or the nearest bank/what bank most students use? I dont remember if i was mentioned during second look day and cant find anything on their website

Found out today Greenlands II doesn't have an elevator...are there people to help out/to hire to bring things up during move in? I'm probably moving in by myself and I don't know if I can bring all my stuff up myself.

Found out today Greenlands II doesn't have an elevator...are there people to help out/to hire to bring things up during move in? I'm probably moving in by myself and I don't know if I can bring all my stuff up myself.
yikes. how many floors is it?

@MCAT1007 The tallest residence buildings (Grasslands) are 4 floors I think. There will be students around to help move in, but no elevators.

@robojobo Regarding banks, there a ton of Chase and Bank of America, and if I'm not mistaken the ATM on campus is a Bank of America. I searched the website but couldn't get confirmation. Might be a good question for Facebook group

Does anyone know around when we might hear back on if we are able to get need based aid? I called a while back and they said they still did not distribute it. Couldn't find it on last years thread :(

@Penguin94 Last year it was given out for the second semester retroactively. Unsure what this year holds. If you're concerned, send an email or call the financial aid office.

Has anyone tried finding off-campus housing? I seem to have missed the on-campus part :(

Has anyone tried finding off-campus housing? I seem to have missed the on-campus part :(
People are posting in the accepted student FB group. Also, search on FB "NYMC buy/sell & Sublets"

People (Including myself) are looking at places in tarrytown and White plains!