2016-2017 Loyola University Chicago (Stritch) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm not sure what would count as "showing dedication." I worked with people from underserved and vulnerable groups as a home health aide for two years and my former supervisor wrote me a nice LoR about how compassionate and caring I am for that, but in terms of activities strictly focused on serving others like volunteering no, not really. It's not that I don't care about people though, I've just never really enjoyed that kind of volunteer work and had to focus on getting my grades up for a large part of college to make up for a very bad semester I had freshman year. I talked about serving others in my writing and essays, though. My small amount comes from a scholarship fund I co-founded with a friend.

I'm a current student who didn't have that much volunteer experience because I worked alongside my undergrad classes as a CNA. CNA/Home health aide work is NOT a cushy glamorous job, and I think Loyola really respected that. If you are able to do that job well, you clearly care about people.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
This is what my status says:

Your file is currently undergoing a review by our committee. Thank you for applying to Loyola University Chicago-Stritch School of Medicine

Should I be expecting a decision soon? Or is this what my status is going to say for the next 6+ months?

This is what my status says:

Your file is currently undergoing a review by our committee. Thank you for applying to Loyola University Chicago-Stritch School of Medicine

Should I be expecting a decision soon? Or is this what my status is going to say for the next 6+ months?

Upcoming: You could get an interview. It could stay the same status. Or it could indicate you've been reviewed and are on interview hold.

Rejections aren't sent out until the end of the cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Upcoming: You could get an interview. It could stay the same status. Or it could indicate you've been reviewed and are on interview hold.

Haha okay thats what I thought... thanks!

Reactions: 1 user

Note: you will know if you are on pre-II hold. It will say something akin to: "Your file has been reviewed...".

Reactions: 1 users
II just now!

Interviewing this week yolo

Reactions: 3 users
Holy guacamole. 24 II's!?! Congrats! Just curious are you URM/Non-Trad?

Just had my interview today! It was very nice to meet many of you today. I must say, the facilities were unbelievably nice...the students were unbelievably nice...I'm completely sold for this school

Reactions: 6 users
Saw this under their 2016 entering class statistics....

Mean MCAT Score (New) 504
Mean MCAT Score (Old) 30

504 =/= 30?????

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm pretty sure he's Kanye West but don't quote me on that.
LOL

Um..can any med students comment on what you like about your school? (or don't like). I get the feeling loyola is rising towards my top picks

Saw this under their 2016 entering class statistics....

Mean MCAT Score (New) 504
Mean MCAT Score (Old) 30

504 =/= 30?????

It also doesn't necessarily need to be equivalent. Last year's applicants were the first batch that had the new MCAT. There weren't the same quality of study materials, etc. Yes, I understand the scores are based on percentiles, but... The new test has/had a much smaller initial sample to base percentiled scoring off of. Maybe this affected things. Maybe it didn't.

Most people probably still probably applied with the old one. This year will have a higher ratio of new MCAT and so on. I could be wrong, but I feel that perhaps we'll eventually see the scores rise again.

Also, I read on SDN somewhere that last year, the average applicants' scores with the new MCAT seemed very low compared to what the previous years/tests comparisons should call for.

Last edited:
II just now!

Interviewing this week yolo
Honestly though, we would all love to see your profile(ECs etc), do you have an MDApplicant profile, if not you should make one at least at the end of the cycle!

I'm going to write about the interview experience that I had today with Loyola :)

I got to Chicago Midway Airport a day earlier and stayed with a host who lived about 15 minutes away from the main campus (it seemed like everyone lived about that far away). They were super nice and shared some tips with me, which made me feel better about the interview in general. The next morning, everyone gathered in the main lobby in the school of medicine at 9AM. We checked in, had a small continental breakfast, and got to chat for an hour with Mr. Nabers, the Director of Admissions here, and Tammy Patterson (who was so hilarious and awesome) talked a little bit about financial aid. Then, the day got broken up from there. Some people got their 2 interviews right after the morning meeting, and the rest alternate between taking a tour of the campus and sitting in between lectures. I got to see the new translational research building, which was GORGEOUS, and the Children's Hospital, which I loved. At 12PM, we met up in the break room to eat lunch with current med students (mainly MS2's and MS1's). And after that, it's a switcheroo from the morning activities (people who interviewed got to go on tours and lectures and people who didn't would get interviewed). At the end of the day, we all met up for a brief exit survey and they served you ice cream! :laugh:

Overall, I was extremely impressed by the organization of the day. It was my first time interviewing but I DID NOT feel nervous at all! The whole time, they reassured you about how it's really just meant to get to know who you are better and whether they like you as a person or not. Each of us got paired up with 2 individual interviewers, and I felt like the pairs were made with a purpose (for example, maybe you mentioned you liked primary care, they might paired you with an MD who is in primary care) - this is just a theory!! I'm not sure if it's true but it somehow felt like it. But anyways, they were both extremely nice and they KNOW your profile! They came to the interview on time and had a really nice conversation with me, which made me so relaxed it was great! Moreover, every student I met on campus said they really loved the school and how they felt Loyola lived up to its mission - they're not just saying stuff on their website for show!

TL;DR: Loyola was great and if you got an interview here, go you! You'll have so much fun and it'll be an awesome experience! No stress!

Reactions: 19 users
does anyone know their policy regarding multiple mcats? (i.e. most recent, highest, all scores considered) couldn't find any info on their website

I'm going to write about the interview experience that I had today with Loyola :)

I got to Chicago Midway Airport a day earlier and stayed with a host who lived about 15 minutes away from the main campus (it seemed like everyone lived about that far away). They were super nice and shared some tips with me, which made me feel better about the interview in general. The next morning, everyone gathered in the main lobby in the school of medicine at 9AM. We checked in, had a small continental breakfast, and got to chat for an hour with Mr. Nabers, the Director of Admissions here, and Tammy Patterson (who was so hilarious and awesome) talked a little bit about financial aid. Then, the day got broken up from there. Some people got their 2 interviews right after the morning meeting, and the rest alternate between taking a tour of the campus and sitting in between lectures. I got to see the new translational research building, which was GORGEOUS, and the Children's Hospital, which I loved. At 12PM, we met up in the break room to eat lunch with current med students (mainly MS2's and MS1's). And after that, it's a switcheroo from the morning activities (people who interviewed got to go on tours and lectures and people who didn't would get interviewed). At the end of the day, we all met up for a brief exit survey and they served you ice cream! :laugh:

Overall, I was extremely impressed by the organization of the day. It was my first time interviewing but I DID NOT feel nervous at all! The whole time, they reassured you about how it's really just meant to get to know who you are better and whether they like you as a person or not. Each of us got paired up with 2 individual interviewers, and I felt like the pairs were made with a purpose (for example, maybe you mentioned you liked primary care, they might paired you with an MD who is in primary care) - this is just a theory!! I'm not sure if it's true but it somehow felt like it. But anyways, they were both extremely nice and they KNOW your profile! They came to the interview on time and had a really nice conversation with me, which made me so relaxed it was great! Moreover, every student I met on campus said they really loved the school and how they felt Loyola lived up to its mission - they're not just saying stuff on their website for show!

TL;DR: Loyola was great and if you got an interview here, go you! You'll have so much fun and it'll be an awesome experience! No stress!
Thank you so much for sharing your experience! It's helpful to know you were able to calm any nerves especially for your first interview. How long was each individual interview?

Thank you so much for sharing your experience! It's helpful to know you were able to calm any nerves especially for your first interview. How long was each individual interview?
np! Each was 45 minutes max. I'm not sure if others used the whole time but I used all 45 minutes

Have there been any II for applicants who were complete in the first week of August?

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone know if they are open to in the area updates? I have an interview in Chicago 9/21 and flights to Chicago from where I live right now are over $300 so I really want to avoid multiple trips!

How come when i log into sup app, there are two 00s front of my aamc ID. Is this normal? I cant change it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Anyone know if they are open to in the area updates? I have an interview in Chicago 9/21 and flights to Chicago from where I live right now are over $300 so I really want to avoid multiple trips!

Looking at past threads, it seems like Loyola is receptive to ITA emails.

Wow wow WOW

Loyolas interview day blew me away. Their students have personality and they're HAPPY

Rose to my top pick quick.

I mean..they gave us ice cream!

Reactions: 13 users
4) Please use the space below to further explain anything in your application that may help us in our review of your candidacy-gaps or delays in education, academic missteps, or personal challenges not listed elsewhere, etc.

is there a consensus on whether this question is asking about our gap year/what we did since graduating college?

the instructions on letters OR on the secondary invite differ from whats on their website.
On the email it says we need 2 science and 1 non-science and if we are a graduate student, we need a graduate letter in addition to the other 3 (for a total of 4 letters).
I have a science letter from a graduate professor and then 1 science and 1 non-science for undergrad (3 letters).
Should I send in my secondary or will this be a red flag and make it not worth it?

the instructions on letters OR on the secondary invite differ from whats on their website.
On the email it says we need 2 science and 1 non-science and if we are a graduate student, we need a graduate letter in addition to the other 3 (for a total of 4 letters).
I have a science letter from a graduate professor and then 1 science and 1 non-science for undergrad (3 letters).
Should I send in my secondary or will this be a red flag and make it not worth it?

Give them a call! Especially when there's conflicting info.

I would call the admissions office for this
Give them a call! Especially when there's conflicting info.

I had called and they just said to explain it in the area of the secondary where it asks about exceptions to LOR but I hate making an excuse and feel like they never work. I just wasn't sure if it would end up being a big deal or not. I have no idea if they're 1) just gonna be completely understanding or 2) just not even consider me lol so I was looking for some insight.

I can't imagine them rejecting you just based on that stuff. Seems a bit harsh yeah?

I had called and they just said to explain it in the area of the secondary where it asks about exceptions to LOR but I hate making an excuse and feel like they never work. I just wasn't sure if it would end up being a big deal or not. I have no idea if they're 1) just gonna be completely understanding or 2) just not even consider me lol so I was looking for some insight.
I think if you have a good reason (like you have been out of school for a while) then it should not sound like an excuse. As long as your other letters are excellent and you feel like your applicant match well with Loyola, they'll recognize that. And you're right, it's a lot of money to send in a secondary but if you feel like you have a good case, why not?

Is there anyone interviewing tomorrow and staying an extra day? If so, PM me! Would love to grab a drink with fellow interviewees!

kinda put this app on the back burner and finished all my other secondaries before this one. is it worth applying still if youre after the 4-6 week time frame they state they prefer?

Just added this school. I know I am applying later than I should have and it's probably a stretch... but might as well go for it!

OOS, LM 66-67

Did you send the ITA email? If so, what was their response?

Hi everyone! Just wanted to briefly share my experience with the interview here. I came out of it completely in love. I think they do an excellent job of choosing students who are truly committed to the mission of the school. All the students seemed so genuinely happy, and it was obvious that they just loved being there. The facilities were top notch, being attached to a hospital is definitely a huge bonus. My favorite part was the interview portion. It genuinely just felt like a conversation where they really wanted to get to know me. They had obviously read my application thoroughly, and asked very specific questions. Overall: Loyola has gone to the top of my list. Anyone lucky enough to interview here, cherish the day!

Reactions: 9 users
Hi everyone! Just wanted to briefly share my experience with the interview here. I came out of it completely in love. I think they do an excellent job of choosing students who are truly committed to the mission of the school. All the students seemed so genuinely happy, and it was obvious that they just loved being there. The facilities were top notch, being attached to a hospital is definitely a huge bonus. My favorite part was the interview portion. It genuinely just felt like a conversation where they really wanted to get to know me. They had obviously read my application thoroughly, and asked very specific questions. Overall: Loyola has gone to the top of my list. Anyone lucky enough to interview here, cherish the day!

This makes me so happy especially because I'm interviewing next week and am starting to get nervous!

Did you send the ITA email? If so, what was their response?
I decided against it because it is still so early in the cycle and it would have only been around 3 weeks notice. I also applied to 4 schools in Chicago and this is the only one that I've heard will even entertain an ITA email, so it seemed silly to send it to only one when there's still a chance I'll be coming back to Chicago again.

Is anything other than the prehealth committee letter required for LOR?

does anyone know their policy regarding multiple mcats? (i.e. most recent, highest, all scores considered) couldn't find any info on their website

Hey I can speak to this! They look at your most recent scores in regards to admissions and then will ask you about why you took it multiple times. Just express what happened and how you still truly want to be here! Hope that helps and best of luck!

Hey I can speak to this! They look at your most recent scores in regards to admissions and then will ask you about why you took it multiple times. Just express what happened and how you still truly want to be here! Hope that helps and best of luck!

Thanks! I called admissions too and they said that while they look at all scores, as long as there's an upward trend then they will consider the recent score most

Any people completed early August receive any II yet?

Does anybody remember what the adcom said about thank you notes post-interview? Is it better to email the adcom, post it in an update, or send it to the admissions office?