2016-2017 Loyola University Chicago (Stritch) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interview!!!

Complete early-mid July

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you guys think Loyola would be open to letting my choose some different dates that the ones they are offering me on the portal now? I don't mean this as a stealth brag, but I honestly do have interviews every Monday and Friday this month and they offered every Tuesday and Thursday.

II as well this afternoon, complete mid July! Really excited to visit this school!!! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know how strict Loyola is with their letters of rec?

Does anyone know how strict Loyola is with their letters of rec?

FWIW, I did not submit any letters from my undergrad institution and I got an II. I did submit 2 science and 1 non-science though.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anybody remember what the adcom said about thank you notes post-interview? Is it better to email the adcom, post it in an update, or send it to the admissions office?

If you got your interviewers email, then you can email them directly. If not, you can email the admissions office directly and they'll forward your thank-you note to your interviewer :)

Members don't see this ad :)
FWIW, I did not submit any letters from my undergrad institution and I got an II. I did submit 2 science and 1 non-science though.
Thanks! hopefully they'll consider one of my letters as science.. :xf:

This school has some crazy application/interview/matriculation numbers in the MSAR. Looks like they interview a much greater percentage of IS students, but almost everyone they interview from OOS gets in (94 of 135 matriculated, presumably more got accepted).

Do you guys think Loyola would be open to letting my choose some different dates that the ones they are offering me on the portal now? I don't mean this as a stealth brag, but I honestly do have interviews every Monday and Friday this month and they offered every Tuesday and Thursday.

Admissions only does interview on Tuesdays and Thursdays. You can contact them and see if maybe a date next month would work better for your schedule!

Did any one receive a special invite to apply, fee waived and all? Wondering if this was a common email they send to minority students. Was your application "expedited"? II?

• Your file has been initially reviewed by the Committee on Admissions. The review process is continuous from now until the conclusion of our interview season in February. If you wish to update your file, please do so within your portal. Thank you for your interest in Loyola University Chicago-Stritch School of Medicine.
Does this mean that I am on hold?

• Your file has been initially reviewed by the Committee on Admissions. The review process is continuous from now until the conclusion of our interview season in February. If you wish to update your file, please do so within your portal. Thank you for your interest in Loyola University Chicago-Stritch School of Medicine.

Yeah, you are on hold. From what I've gathered it's basically a silent rejection till March and then you'll be officially rejected. Unless, of course, you cure cancer before then. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Did any one receive a special invite to apply, fee waived and all? Wondering if this was a common email they send to minority students. Was your application "expedited"? II?
got the email file did seem to be expedited I notified that I was complete and immediately went under review. no II yet. didn't seem to be sent to all minorities when I called said it was because I signed up for minority reporting service on my mcat.

Yeah, you are on hold. From what I've gathered it's basically a silent rejection till March and then you'll be officially rejected. Unless, of course, you cure cancer before then. Good luck.

I love the good luck lol. I've been complete so we the beginning of July with no word either way haha

got the email file did seem to be expedited I notified that I was complete and immediately went under review. no II yet. didn't seem to be sent to all minorities when I called said it was because I signed up for minority reporting service on my mcat.

I did & I signed up for the minority reporting service on my MCAT. I just had my interview this week (I was complete on 7/13 & received an II on 8/8).

I submitted in late July, but never received a 'complete' email. On the portal it says my file is currently undergoing a review by the committee, so I am assuming I am complete. Did other people experience this?

When did you complete secondaries?

Hi all,

I'm at second year. Just wanted to let you all know that getting put on hold does not mean its a silent rejection. Obviously not getting put on hold is better than getting put on hold, but Loyola does re-review apps all year long, and you can get an interview after getting put on hold. I personally was put on hold and received an interview after sending an update. Good luck!

Hi all,

I'm at second year. Just wanted to let you all know that getting put on hold does not mean its a silent rejection. Obviously not getting put on hold is better than getting put on hold, but Loyola does re-review apps all year long, and you can get an interview after getting put on hold. I personally was put on hold and received an interview after sending an update. Good luck!
What sort of update did you make?

How was it? Full dets please!

It was great! (at least from my point of view) It was really relaxed - the interviewers really made it a point to have the interview be a conversation. They were focused on my extracurricular activities and who I was as a person which was awesome.

I had my 2 interviews in the morning, followed by a lunch with med students, sitting in on a med student lecture (also really interesting), a student tour, and a final wrap-up with the Dean. There were about 15 students interviewing that day, so it felt pretty intimate and they really wanted to personalize the experience. Also, the ice cream at the end of the interview day was a great touch :). I fell into love with the school even more after the day, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for an acceptance!

Reactions: 3 users
It was great! (at least from my point of view) It was really relaxed - the interviewers really made it a point to have the interview be a conversation. They were focused on my extracurricular activities and who I was as a person which was awesome.

I had my 2 interviews in the morning, followed by a lunch with med students, sitting in on a med student lecture (also really interesting), a student tour, and a final wrap-up with the Dean. There were about 15 students interviewing that day, so it felt pretty intimate and they really wanted to personalize the experience. Also, the ice cream at the end of the interview day was a great touch :). I fell into love with the school even more after the day, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for an acceptance!

That's reassuring. The info on the website reads very warm, and writing essays for secondary app was a lot of fun for me, gave me the sense they wanted to know me, and know me well- it wasn't a generic diversity question with 1 paragraph limit! Thank you for your feedback, and good luck.

Has anyone who submitted early August received an invite? Wondering what submit date the next batch of IIs will be...

That's reassuring. The info on the website reads very warm, and writing essays for secondary app was a lot of fun for me, gave me the sense they wanted to know me, and know me well- it wasn't a generic diversity question with 1 paragraph limit! Thank you for your feedback, and good luck.

I completely agree - I loved writing their secondary! And no problem - good luck to you too!

What sort of update did you make?

At the time, I was still taking classes, so I updated them on the classes I was taking as well as the grades from my summer classes. Additionally, I wrote about all the volunteer work I had started doing since turning in my secondary. I then tried to tie it all back to what my new experiences had taught me, how I thought they would contribute to me being a better physician, and how they all resonated with Loyola's mission. The update was about 3/4ths of a page single spaced, and I emailed it to admissions (although there is a spot for updates on the portal, so I suggest uploading it there if you plan on sending an update---I didn't know at the time).

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Anyone know when first wave of rejections are sent out?

I was told that for graduate students a LOR from the program must be submitted by January. Does anyone know if I can still receive an II, or not until this letter is submitted?

II! Complete early July. OOS, ORM, LizzyM <70.

For those interested, interview dates are every Tuesday/Thursday with availabilites starting tomorrow 9/15.

Last edited:
Congrats, you're having a great week!!!
Thanks! The week has been off to a good start, I'm still paranoid about my MCAT falling a tad below the 10th percentile at most of these schools that have sent me an interview so far :unsure:

Thanks! The week has been off to a good start, I'm still paranoid about my MCAT falling a tad below the 10th percentile at most of these schools that have sent me an interview so far :unsure:
If that bothered them, they wouldn't have sent you an interview invite

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats and good luck :)

has anyone heard back after being complete in late august??

I just received an II this morning, and I was complete in the first days of July. I definitely wouldn't worry no matter when you submitted