2016-2017 Loyola University Chicago (Stritch) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You received an invite without adding them to your school list on AMCAS?

Exactly. I had never even heard of this school. I need to call tomorrow to ask if they still want me to send an application through AMCAS or if there is a way to just do the application. Perhaps the email is a good sign that they might offer me a scholarship if I get accepted? Can anyone comment on scholarship opportunities at this school?

I think I'll apply. The fee is going to be waived anyway..

Members don't see this ad.

Exactly. I had never even heard of this school. I need to call tomorrow to ask if they still want me to send an application through AMCAS or if there is a way to just do the application. Perhaps the email is a good sign that they might offer me a scholarship if I get accepted? Can anyone comment on scholarship opportunities at this school?

I got the same email... Added them to the primary on AMCAS, they will waive the application fee for the supplemental!

I think if you consider yourself a disadvantaged student, there was an option to send schools your info so they can send you emails letting you know about their programs especially if they are a school that is known to have a particular interest in those that are disadvantaged.

My primary hasn't been verified yet and I only put one school on my list so far until I receive my MCAT scores back. So I wonder if I will receive an email after I am verified.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know this has been discussed to death, but what your thoughts about addressing a low MCAT score as an "academic misstep" for the last question?

There is no excuse because I honestly did the best that I could. Instead of re-taking, I worked two clinical jobs (more than full-time) that involved serving underserved populations. Having these experiences were really important to me before matriculating.

On the other hand, I don't want to draw unnecessary attention to my score...

I got the same email... Added them to the primary on AMCAS, they will waive the application fee for the supplemental!

I got the same email as well. Because I'm applying on a budget, I had to eliminate a bunch of schools that weren't on the east coast (and this was one of them), just because I thought I had a better chance with regional schools. I don't know how much regional bias there is with private schools. Since the secondary fee will be waived, I would definitely be interested in applying. This is a great school. I honestly don't know what admissions would think of my application minus the MCAT, so I'm trying to see if I can speak to someone first.

I know this has been discussed to death, but what your thoughts about addressing a low MCAT score as an "academic misstep" for the last question?

There is no excuse because I honestly did the best that I could. Instead of re-taking, I worked two clinical jobs (more than full-time) that involved serving underserved populations. Having these experiences were really important to me before matriculating.

On the other hand, I don't want to draw unnecessary attention to my score...
In my opinion its better to leave the MCAT score alone and hope the other things in your application overshadow it. I don't have the best score but I also don't have a great GPA, so I wrote about my upward trend and how I overcame my 2 low semesters but I never mentioned the MCAT since there really isn't an excuse for it except it's hard and I hate CARS

How is everyone interpreting the formatting instructions that Loyola sent out with the secondary?
It says "We ask that you please limit your responses to a maximum of 2 paragraphs per question, or at most 500 words."

Does this mean that no response can be more than two paragraphs, or is 500 words the major concern. Would it be a good idea to submit a <500 word essay that contained 3-4 paragraphs? It seems that spacing out the essay responses would be better stylistically, but I'm hesitant because there is mention of a two paragraph maximum.

Hey i got this email as well which definitely played a major role in me applying. I did get a moderate scholarship upon being accepted, but I do not think it had anything to do with the email. But they work fast if you follow the email's instructions. I got it in september, submitted my app, and with week or 2 I got an II! Hope that helps, good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
How is everyone interpreting the formatting instructions that Loyola sent out with the secondary?
It says "We ask that you please limit your responses to a maximum of 2 paragraphs per question, or at most 500 words."

Does this mean that no response can be more than two paragraphs, or is 500 words the major concern. Would it be a good idea to submit a <500 word essay that contained 3-4 paragraphs? It seems that spacing out the essay responses would be better stylistically, but I'm hesitant because there is mention of a two paragraph maximum.

I went with the 500 word limit; it doesn't really make sense to limit the response by number of paragraphs.

Reactions: 3 users
For the question about-
"Please use this space to bring the information in your AMCAS application up-to-date. Please indicate additional grades earned, alterations in your proposed coursework or graduation date, address changes, additions to your list of activities, and anything else you feel we should know. If you have not been enrolled in coursework, please let us know what you have been doing since coursework ended. "

Is this geared towards those who have already graduated and have been out of school for a while? As a rising senior, I already have my summer program/plans in my AMCAS application as well as my proposed coursework. Do they want me to elaborate on my summer plans or can I just leave this blank?

For the question about-
"Please use this space to bring the information in your AMCAS application up-to-date. Please indicate additional grades earned, alterations in your proposed coursework or graduation date, address changes, additions to your list of activities, and anything else you feel we should know. If you have not been enrolled in coursework, please let us know what you have been doing since coursework ended. "

Is this geared towards those who have already graduated and have been out of school for a while? As a rising senior, I already have my summer program/plans in my AMCAS application as well as my proposed coursework. Do they want me to elaborate on my summer plans or can I just leave this blank?

I just wrote "My AMCAS application is up to date."

Reactions: 1 users
Hey everyone, may seem like an obvious question, but I wanted to hear your thoughts. They require two letters from science faculty and one from non-science. I have three faculty letters (1 from biology, 1 from biophyisics and research experience, and another from math) with another letter from a director of volunteer services at a local hospital. Will this exclude them from them taking a look at me?

Hey everyone, may seem like an obvious question, but I wanted to hear your thoughts. They require two letters from science faculty and one from non-science. I have three faculty letters (1 from biology, 1 from biophyisics and research experience, and another from math) with another letter from a director of volunteer services at a local hospital. Will this exclude them from them taking a look at me?

You have two science faculty and if the research was not hard-science based then you can count that as non-science faculty. If not..you can call and ask how strict they are about non-science because even the math professor might be fine!

Does their requirement explicitly say "non science FACULTY"?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually emailed the admissions office about this, since I am in a similar position as you with mostly science faculty/research letter writers.

I framed it that I had been out of school for a few years and would they accept a letter from a boss or research mentor in place of the non-science faculty.

The adcom replied that if I couldn't meet their exact requirements, " you can substitute letters and disclose your substitution(s) and the reason for it on your supplemental. Please be advised that even if you are substituting letters, it is strongly encouraged to have at minimum one science professor letter who can speak to your abilities in science coursework."

So I think as long as you have their science faculty recommendations, you're okay.

Received secondary today and submitted. Good luck everyone :luck:

Secondary submitted! Good luck everyone!!

Were your guys' essays all 500 words? Mine are a bit shorter...

Submitted secondary...looking forward to hearing back from this school...definitely at the top of my list. Good luck everyone!

FYI, my status changed this morning to:
"Your file is currently undergoing a review by our committee. Thank you for applying to Loyola University Chicago-Stritch School of Medicine."

Anyone else have this too? Is this just what gets put up after you submit?

Reactions: 2 users
"Your file is currently undergoing a review by our committee. Thank you for applying to Loyola University Chicago-Stritch School of Medicine."

That's what I've got too

Does anyone know Stritch's mission statement?
Am I totally missing it in the secondary or on their website..?

Does anyone know Stritch's mission statement?
Am I totally missing it in the secondary or on their website..?

From MSAR:

Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine (SSOM) is committed to scholarship and the education of medical professionals and biomedical scientists. Our school, including its faculty, trainees and staff are called to go beyond facts, experimentation, and treatment of disease to prepare people to lead extraordinary lives and treat the human spirit in an environment that encourages innovation, embraces diversity, respects life, and values human dignity.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

1) I also went with 500 words instead of 2 paragraph answers, hope this is ok... The paragraphs would be too overwhelming, in my opinion.

2) I added all of my LORs several days ago and Loyola still says they have not been received. How long does the transfer from AMCAS typically take?

Secondary Submitted.

My essays are definitely going to be shorter than 500 words. The fact is I already have essays about community service, diversity, and adversity that I am proud of, and I do not feel the need to add words to them just for the sake of it.

Can someone please post questions 10 and 11 of the secondary application? I just submitted mine and when I printed it out, I can only see until 9-B. Followed by the photo and LORs. Slightly freaking out that I did not complete the whole thing though I thought I did!

Can someone please post questions 10 and 11 of the secondary application? I just submitted mine and when I printed it out, I can only see until 9-B. Followed by the photo and LORs. Slightly freaking out that I did not complete the whole thing though I thought I did!

I am working on mine right now, and I do not see and question 10 or 11. Just 9B and then the submission page.

I am working on mine right now, and I do not see and question 10 or 11. Just 9B and then the submission page.
Thank you so much for replying! Maybe I was just subconsciously thinking of slurpees. Have a good day

Anyone else who has already subbmitted doesn't see their photo on the "Upload Photo" section? It also says no file chosen. It shows up when you click Print Application so I'm assuming it went through?

Anyone else who has already subbmitted doesn't see their photo on the "Upload Photo" section? It also says no file chosen. It shows up when you click Print Application so I'm assuming it went through?

Yes. It's an oddity. As long as it gives you the message "photo uploaded" just after you upload, you should be golden. Sometimes it doesn't even show in the Print Application PDF.

What is the best way to abbreviate the name of this school? Not worried about the word limit obviously, but do not want to mess up my flow by writing the full name out again and again

And also, what does it mean when it asks you to "double space between paragraphs"?

Just one line between each paragraph or two lines?

And also, what does it mean when it asks you to "double space between paragraphs"?

Just one line between each paragraph or two lines?

Make each paragraph very discernible from the previous one, like this:

Blah blah blah blah blah (last sentence).

Blah blah blah blah blah (new paragraph).

Vs:

Blah blah blah blah blah
<new paragraph indent> Blah blah blah blah blah

Edit: So, I guess iPhone naturally edits this so both examples look the same. Imagine using Word and using the double spacing option between paragraphs, and single (normal) spacing within paragraphs.

Last edited:
Make each paragraph very discernible from the previous one, like this:

Blah blah blah blah blah (last sentence).

Blah blah blah blah blah (new paragraph).

Vs:

Blah blah blah blah blah
<new paragraph> Blah blah blah blah blah

So, iPhone naturally edits this so both examples look the same. Imagine using Word and using the double spacing option between paragraphs, and single (normal) spacing within paragraphs.
Thank you. That is what I normally do, just wanted to confirm.

Thank you. That is what I normally do, just wanted to confirm.

Most applicants, yourself seemingly included, follow the rules, so when they get instructions like these, it may be confusing, but it's more for 1) system formatting errors, and 2) other students who seem to write one long paragraph (not too many, but certainly present).

Most applicants, yourself seemingly included, follow the rules, so when they get instructions like these, it may be confusing, but it's more for 1) system formatting errors, and 2) other students who seem to write one long paragraph (not too many, but certainly present).
Yes. True. I also had to call to make sure that I can indeed have multiple paragraphs (below 500 words). The instructions attached to my email said either/or and then the secondary app initially states no more than 2 paragraphs only to say a maximum of 500 words. The admissions office told me to just follow the 500 word count.

Same for me. Status must have changed last night or this morning.

Same for me. Status must have changed last night or this morning.
So where are you guys seeing the status for this school? I don't see any Status tab on the side. If I go to the Supplemental Application tab , It says, "Your application has been finalized . You are no longer able to access the information online ".

So where are you guys seeing the status for this school? I don't see any Status tab on the side. If I go to the Supplemental Application tab , It says, "Your application has been finalized . You are no longer able to access the information online ".

That's what mine said a few days ago. It then changed to my file is under review, or something like that yesterday.

That's what mine said a few days ago. It then changed to my file is under review, or something like that yesterday.
Oh ok, so there is no Status tab/section on its portal like most other schools?

As Loyola is a Jesuit school, would it be unwise to mention being LGBT in one of these essays?

As Loyola is a Jesuit school, would it be unwise to mention being LGBT in one of these essays?

Fortunately, Loyola is hardcore into diverse populations of students, in all contexts. Absolutely loves 'em. About 100x more than other schools. Loyola is all about diversity and whatnot. Partly altruism, but also largely because of the great PR. Take that as you may. Supportive environment wasn't a main factor I used when trying to choose between schools, but I can tell you that you'd be hard-pressed to find a school with the extensive support system of Loyola, and it's been awesome. We're kinda known for that. So: not unwise at all. Go for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
LGBT myself. Don't let their Catholic affiliation throw you off; trust me, the Jesuits are awesome (went to a Jesuit undergrad). Like GoodWillShunting said, they really do embrace all kinds of diversity, including different faiths/non-faiths.

Be yourself!!! Since that is a big part of your life, talk about it! And if they don't appreciate it (which I HIGHLY doubt), they won't accept you. Their loss. You would not want to go to a school like that anyways! But like the others said, I have only heard good things about this school and how they appreciate diversity. Jesuit schools (like Creighton and Stritch) are not necessarily all-in Christian. Some people on the other threads state that you can stay away from the religious life even if you go to these schools.