2016-2017 Loyola University Chicago (Stritch) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Fortunately, Loyola is hardcore into diverse populations of students, in all contexts. Absolutely loves 'em. About 100x more than other schools. Loyola is all about diversity and whatnot. Partly altruism, but also largely because of the great PR. Take that as you may. Supportive environment wasn't a main factor I used when trying to choose between schools, but I can tell you that you'd be hard-pressed to find a school with the extensive support system of Loyola, and it's been awesome. We're kinda known for that. So: not unwise at all. Go for it.

LGBT myself. Don't let their Catholic affiliation throw you off; trust me, the Jesuits are awesome (went to a Jesuit undergrad). Like GoodWillShunting said, they really do embrace all kinds of diversity, including different faiths/non-faiths.

Be yourself!!! Since that is a big part of your life, talk about it! And if they don't appreciate it (which I HIGHLY doubt), they won't accept you. Their loss. You would not want to go to a school like that anyways! But like the others said, I have only heard good things about this school and how they appreciate diversity. Jesuit schools (like Creighton and Stritch) are not necessarily all-in Christian. Some people on the other threads state that you can stay away from the religious life even if you go to these schools.

Wow, I didn't expect this much encouragement! Thanks everyone, I appreciate your input :).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Oh ok, so there is no Status tab/section on its portal like most other schools?

Yes, that is correct. If you click on the supplemental application link, the status is shown there.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, that is correct. If you click on the supplemental application link, the status is shown there.

Sorry not trying to derail the thread, but 34 primaries and 5 II already!?!

Sorry not trying to derail the thread, but 34 primaries and 5 II already!?!

Yeah. Trust me, I'm more surprised than you are. All I can say is that pre-writing secondaries is a life saver. I would probably only have submitted like 5 by now.

Reactions: 1 users
For the prompt about bringing your application up-to-date and letting them know what you have been doing since coursework ended, do I need to elaborate on my summer activities? Or does that question apply more to nontrads?

Sent from my LGMS631 using SDN mobile

For the prompt about bringing your application up-to-date and letting them know what you have been doing since coursework ended, do I need to elaborate on my summer activities? Or does that question apply more to nontrads?

Sent from my LGMS631 using SDN mobile

Generally anything that isn't on AMCAS that you've been doing. It's more of a chance to contribute stuff to your app that you haven't before, or at least demonstrate that you didn't give up on life after school.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm an incoming M1 to Loyola in the fall. If any of you have any questions regarding the application cycle, PM me!

I'm a current M1 at Loyola (soon to be M2...eyp!!). Feel free to PM/tag me if you have any questions!

Also an incoming M1 full of knowledge :) PM me if you need anything! Good luck to everybody applying this time around!

M3 here, just finished Step 1 so I have some free time. Feel free to ask questions if you have any, this will be my 3rd year lurking around the application thread :)

Thank you guys! No questions as of this moment, but I really appreciate your help!

I'm not sure where I saw this, but does anyone know if Loyola averages MCAT scores? Officially I think they said they don't but I swear I saw somewhere on SDN someone who confirmed that they actually avg scores

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I checked their website and I see when the interview dates are, but, unless I'm missing something obvious, it doesn't give information on when they send them out? Should we assume 3 weeks prior to first interview?

Thanks! I checked their website beforehand and I see when the interview dates are, but, unless I'm missing something obvious, it doesn't give information on when they send them out? Should we assume 3 weeks prior to first interview?

Oh I didn't even think of that. I just assumed that if interviews start in September then August would sound like a reasonable month to send them out haha.

Congrats!! I submitted 7/25 so I imagine my app hasn't made it onto the top of the stack yet.

Congrats to those receiving IIs! For those that haven't yet- don't worry- it's still very early. Feel free to ask any questions, and I'd be happy to answer or direct you to someone who can!

Reactions: 2 users
II!! First one for me too! Just curious, do the dates change if they fill up fast? I haven't decided exactly which date I'm available.

II!! First one for me too! Just curious, do the dates change if they fill up fast? I haven't decided exactly which date I'm available.
Just now? I would think they'd be riding to happy hour around now...lol

Patiently waiting..

For those who have received an II, did you feel it was necessary to reply to the email. It says "Please reply promptly to this invitation" so I wasn't sure if we needed to send a reply email?

II! Does anybody know how accommodating they are for different dates? I am unable to make any of the dates they offered me. It says to call on Thursdays for questions but I don't really want to wait that long...

For those who have received an II, did you feel it was necessary to reply to the email. It says "Please reply promptly to this invitation" so I wasn't sure if we needed to send a reply email?

I think they meant to schedule the interview promptly on the portal!

Anyone else not available on those days and tried to reschedule? It's so weird that they only gave us 4 options...

Hey, I'm and OOS applicant and was just curious how much the admissions committee values applicants coming from an undergraduate Jesuit institution? I graduated from Loyola University in New Orleans. I was just going to stick to Louisiana medical schools, but I thought I'd branch out, and maybe coming from a Jesuit institution would benefit me in the process?

Hey, I'm and OOS applicant and was just curious how much the admissions committee values applicants coming from an undergraduate Jesuit institution? I graduated from Loyola University in New Orleans. I was just going to stick to Louisiana medical schools, but I thought I'd branch out, and maybe coming from a Jesuit institution would benefit me in the process?

If you can talk about it passionately, go for it. Nothing to lose.

ya i see that as a huge plus. go for it

Congratulations everyone on your IIs! Hopefully the rest of us get some good news soon.

Congrats to the II!

Really hoping for this one. Love the school, so fingers crossed. I struggled with the Jesuit essay so we will see.

Idk if anyone can answer this question but for those who are doing the student host program do you think they can pick us up for the airport or should we find a way to get to their place? I'm trying to figure out when the best time to fly in would be

Idk if anyone can answer this question but for those who are doing the student host program do you think they can pick us up for the airport or should we find a way to get to their place? I'm trying to figure out when the best time to fly in would be

You'll almost def have to get there yourself, it's not a super easy commute, probably 35 mins minimum.

I also went to a Jesuit undergrad and am hoping it helps. I am mostly responding because I love your username LOL.
yessss to Ja'mie! ahahaha that makes two things we have in common! I would think that they would value the Jesuit traditions being instilled in us for the past four years!