2016-2017 Jefferson Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
does anyone know if the committee meets this week? previous Jeff threads show otherwise for the week after the last interview day.
They definitely meet next week the 19th, and I think they might meet today as well. But I'm less sure of that....

Members don't see this ad.

They definitely meet next week the 19th, and I think they might meet today as well. But I'm less sure of that....
Is this for waitlist movement or just for the last few interview dates?

Is this for waitlist movement or just for the last few interview dates?
Probably just for the last few interview days, because I interviewed two weeks ago and haven't heard anything yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know if the committee meets this week? previous Jeff threads show otherwise for the week after the last interview day.

I interviewed last week and they said they were not meeting this week

Reactions: 1 user
thanks for the info! one more week to go...

Reactions: 1 users
Also a bunch of upper classmen (including me) are advertising places on the Facebook group and JeffList, which is a Facebook market group.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using SDN mobile
Ah. Thank you. I have found no shortage of apartments, struggling to find houses. Thanks for your help :)

Ah. Thank you. I have found no shortage of apartments, struggling to find houses. Thanks for your help :)
Any particular reason you're looking for a house? They're a little bit harder to come by, though I myself lived in a house for the first two years (with three other upper years) before the owner decided to sell.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any particular reason you're looking for a house? They're a little bit harder to come by, though I myself lived in a house for the first two years (with three other upper years) before the owner decided to sell.
Not really other than I thought they might be cheaper rent per bedroom. I've looked at apartments but not houses, just looking to make an informed decision.

For houses, Zillow will likely yield the best results for you. 19107 is the zip code around Jefferson, though the surrounding areas are definitely walkable as well.
Is SEPTA safe after dark? In particular taking the Market-Frankford line between ~30th and ~11th? Im thinking of living out near University City for personal reasons and I like to study in the library until relatively late.

Is SEPTA safe after dark? In particular taking the Market-Frankford line between ~30th and ~11th? Im thinking of living out near University City for personal reasons and I like to study in the library until relatively late.
I've never felt unsafe

This site is pretty good for finding apartments in Philly as well: HotPads - Apartments and houses for rent | HotPads
If you can, it's best to come to the city and actually tour your apartment before signing a lease. Make sure you're comfortable with what you're getting yourself into. If you're coming from far away, living on campus for the first year in Barringer or Orlowitz (not Martin) isn't a bad idea.

Jefferson also has medical fraternities (3 male and 1 coed) that are very affordable, close to campus, and offer a fun living experience. They are not officially sanctioned by the university, but the houses themselves are actually pretty nice. If it's something that might interest you, the fraternities offer house tours and host a party for the incoming class during second look.

Are there places most student's tend to live? Like popular apartment complexes?

Are there places most student's tend to live? Like popular apartment complexes?
Honestly there are a lot of complexes so not one specifically has a super high concentration of Jeff students. Really anything in the area tends to attract students.

Is second look day only for students? No guests allowed?

Accepted off of the HPWL today!

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Hi! Does anyone know if/where we can find a list of student hosts for second look weekend?

Was also accepted here off the HPWL a few days ago and will be attending. I had a great experience during my interview day and the close proximity to my SO who also goes to school in Philly made this a no-brainer for me.

Reactions: 3 users
I know the first night of second look is formal, what is the dress for Friday? if anyone knows, thanks!

I know the first night of second look is formal, what is the dress for Friday? if anyone knows, thanks!
How formal is the first night? Like cocktail dress or business casual? I haven't gotten much info about it yet since I was recently accepted. :)

How formal is the first night? Like cocktail dress or business casual? I haven't gotten much info about it yet since I was recently accepted. :)
Accepted in mid-March and also haven't gotten any info beyond the date and RSVP form, FWIW.

Accepted in mid-March and also haven't gotten any info beyond the date and RSVP form, FWIW.
Good to know! If I don't hear anything by Tuesday I will call and ask what the dress code is and pass it along!

Probably going to withdraw my acceptance next week. To withdraw do we just email admissions? Also, does anyone know how long it takes to get a refund check for the deposit? Thanks.

Congrats!!!! I'm so happy for you :) I feel a strange sense of pride after hanging out with you for so long on our other thread
Thank you! Yeah it feels nice after the debacle that the UNC thread was haha

For those of you who were accepted off the hpwl, how were you notified?

when you send the 100$ to reserve your seat, is it refundable if you withdraw before April 30th?

When do classes start? I am looking at the calendar but it is not yet updated for 2017-2018. Also, anyone going to second look, would you be able to post a summary here? I cannot attend because of work but want to know what they say about the new curriculum/any changes.

When do classes start? I am looking at the calendar but it is not yet updated for 2017-2018. Also, anyone going to second look, would you be able to post a summary here? I cannot attend because of work but want to know what they say about the new curriculum/any changes.
It's probably going to be July 31st.

@Doctor Strange how many of your classmates have cars/how terrible is parking? is having a car helpful during the clinical years?

anyone else trying to be nonchalant about tomorrow's decisions and failing...?

Reactions: 3 users
@Doctor Strange how many of your classmates have cars/how terrible is parking? is having a car helpful during the clinical years?
Not many of them have cars. Parking is pretty terrible unless you rent a garage spot. They are helpful during clinical years as it gives you more options as to which affiliates you can rank.

Admitted Students - Thomas Jefferson University

Has a lot of good info including that orientation starts July 24th