2016-2017 Jefferson Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A few questions for current Jeff students (@Doctor Strange):

1) During your 3rd and 4th years, did you feel like you were a part of the patient care team (vs. just an observer)? Another school at which I interviewed really emphasized how the 3rd/4th year students feel like an integral part of the team at their clinical sites, and I am wondering if it is similar at Jefferson.

2) Given that Wills Eye is a top notch ophtho hospital, would you say that there is an advantage to going to Jeff for someone who might be interested in ophtho? I hear this a lot for ortho at Jeff but am wondering if it is the same for ophtho.

3) Do you know if the distribution of scholarships and loans in the financial aid package remains relatively consistent throughout the four years (e.g., if I got some scholarships in my package for year 1, can I expect that it might be the same in the future years, or do they tend to give out more/less in the upper years?)

Thanks so much!
1) For the most part, yes, you definitely are treated like part of the team for most rotations. That being said, especially as a new 3rd year, you'll almost always have an intern or resident double-checking your work (i.e., both you and the intern pre-round on the patient). As you get into 4th year, you usually gain a little more independence, especially as a sub-i. I've been on some consult services as a 4th year where the fellow/resident won't pre-round on the patients that I'm following, which is nice. On some of the super-subspecialties (e.g., neurosurg, ophth, anesthesia, IR, etc.), you will like only be shadowing or doing very minor things, as most of the care for these patients is above and beyond your level of training; the rotations are mostly for exposure. As crappy as it sounds, your job as a medical student is to make your intern/resident's life easier. On medicine and surgery floors especially, med students will often be updating sign-out, making appointments, or calling social work. Bottom line, you should be following your own patients under the supervision of an intern/resident on the majority of rotations.

2) Yes. We generally match ophtho extremely well.

3) Yes, the school-based grants are constant. Any government grants (e.g., Scholarship for Disadvantaged Students) are subject to change.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
can anyone that went to 2nd look give some highlights from the event or a general feel of the school? thank you!
Campus is awesome. But is anyone else concerned about being the first class trying out this new curriculum? I like what they're trying to do but it seems like this upcoming class will kinda be the guinea pigs as they'll be working out the kinks our first two years. Makes me a little nervous about being prepared for Step

Members don't see this ad :)
Submitted my withdrawal today. Loved the school, but decided to choose based on cost. Hope it goes to one of you in limbo!

Reactions: 3 users
Campus is awesome. But is anyone else concerned about being the first class trying out this new curriculum? I like what they're trying to do but it seems like this upcoming class will kinda be the guinea pigs as they'll be working out the kinks our first two years. Makes me a little nervous about being prepared for Step
I also feel similarly. Does anyone else have any thoughts about this?

I also feel similarly. Does anyone else have any thoughts about this?
I've heard step 1 is moving more clinical (so case based learning could maybe be good?), and there's still 8 weeks of dedicated to study for step 1, so... eh... personally less worried about step 1 and more sad about the committed/scheduled mandatory stuff.

Anyone else still waiting on financial aid? Not sure what to do. Since I was accepted this month I feel like I probably won't get it by tomorrow..?

Anyone else still waiting on financial aid? Not sure what to do. Since I was accepted this month I feel like I probably won't get it by tomorrow..?
Still waiting here. I'm calling financial aid on my lunch hour to follow up (for the fourth time :( ). I'll get back to you guys!

Released my seat this morning! One of the hardest decisions I've ever made. Sending good vibes to those waiting to hear!

Reactions: 1 users

I called fin aid and was told that my package will be finalized COB today. IDK if that means I will see it updated on banner or not. As of now, banner hasn't been updated. Hopefully by tomorrow it will show!

I called fin aid and was told that my package will be finalized COB today. IDK if that means I will see it updated on banner or not. As of now, banner hasn't been updated. Hopefully by tomorrow it will show!
Just checked and mine is up!

Hey y'all! I'm not sure if this has been answered previously in the thread, but I don't really want to sort through that many posts at the moment. Does anyone know if there is a difference between the HPWL and the regular waitlist? I've seen plenty of peeps, including myself, get put on the HPWL but none on a regular waitlist.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey y'all! I'm not sure if this has been answered previously in the thread, but I don't really want to sort through that many posts at the moment. Does anyone know if there is a difference between the HPWL and the regular waitlist? I've seen plenty of peeps, including myself, get put on the HPWL but none on a regular waitlist.

there ARE two lists but perhaps they place less students on the alternate list? OR there is just less reporting by alternate list people

Yes, there is a difference. The HPWL is more likely to get an acceptance than the alternate waitlist.

I was hoping for some waitlist movement today after seeing previous years' threads...but alas the wait continues

I was hoping for some waitlist movement today after seeing previous years' threads...but alas the wait continues
April 29th was a Friday last year though! So no worries until Monday ;)

April 29th was a Friday last year though! So no worries until Monday ;)
ALTHOUGH last year, May 1st was a Sunday and some people got off HPWL that day.............I need to calm down lol

ALTHOUGH last year, May 1st was a Sunday and some people got off HPWL that day.............I need to calm down lol
Hahaha deep breaths DrLove, deep breaths. If you scroll to the bottom of the AAMC acceptance protocol it says "*If any date falls on a weekend/holiday the recommendation(s) will apply to the following business day."

Hahaha deep breaths DrLove, deep breaths. If you scroll to the bottom of the AAMC acceptance protocol it says "*If any date falls on a weekend/holiday the recommendation(s) will apply to the following business day."
Indeed it does XD, I guess I will speak to you again post-24 hours from now :)

Hey guys, is a drug test part of our pre-matriculation requirements (along with health forms and immunizations etc.)? Or do they test us before classes begin on-campus?

Not a big deal for me, just need to know so I know whether to get it done or not at a lab before school starts. I know some schools are like that

Hey guys, is a drug test part of our pre-matriculation requirements (along with health forms and immunizations etc.)? Or do they test us before classes begin on-campus?

Not a big deal for me, just need to know so I know whether to get it done or not at a lab before school starts. I know some schools are like that
Unless they've changed it, no, you do not need a UDS before matriculating. You will need one, however, as a part of the requirements for starting pediatrics.

Unless they've changed it, no, you do not need a UDS before matriculating. You will need one, however, as a part of the requirements for starting pediatrics.
Thanks!! When does pediatrics start? 3rd year I assume?

Withdrew my acceptance here, good luck guys!

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys, when is orientation and first day of class here?

I'm currently waitlisted

My understanding is that if you are on HPWL, you are a desired member of the class! Congratulations on that. Come May, there will be HUGE movement, especially at enormous schools like SKMC. They might even be struggling to fill spots in the class. Your best bet is to communicate the fact that they are your #1 SCHOOL and that you'd totally go if you're accepted. That makes their job easier and accurately communicates your similar interest in each other. Good luck!

^this. Last year, I send an email after my HPWL that I was serious about Jefferson and would attend if accepted, and then I was accepted within a week or two. Jeff takes a lot of students from the high priority waitlist, something like 90 students. Just make sure they know that you're serious about attending, and you'll have a good shot at getting in.

When you say sending an LOI to communicate with Jefferson about how serious you are, did you just send one LOI with your updates, or did you send multiple ones? I've already sent an LOI with some updates and was wondering if I should send one again to talk about how serious I am about attending Jefferson even if there's really nothing to update in terms of achievements. Would this actually be bad?

It's embarrassing how many times I have already checked this thread today

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Can HPWL movement be on any weekday, unlike decisions until now which were mainly released on Wednesdays?

man I thought there would be calls by now :/
Keep in mind that because April 30 fell on a weekend, today (5/1) is technically the traffic day deadline. Schools likely won't know how many people they need to take off of the waitlist until tomorrow because students are still sending in withdrawals today.

Hardest decision ever but withdrew my app earlier this morning :(
Really loved Jeff, hope one of you all get the call soon

Reactions: 3 users
Can HPWL movement be on any weekday, unlike decisions until now which were mainly released on Wednesdays?
looking at previous years' threads, yes it seems like they don't follow the Wednesday pattern for waitlist acceptances.

not sure if this helps or worsens the anxiety XD

When you say sending an LOI to communicate with Jefferson about how serious you are, did you just send one LOI with your updates, or did you send multiple ones? I've already sent an LOI with some updates and was wondering if I should send one again to talk about how serious I am about attending Jefferson even if there's really nothing to update in terms of achievements. Would this actually be bad?
I don't think it matters too much either way. I believe I sent a separate LOI, but if you said it with an update, I'm sure Dr. Callahan read it and took note of it.

So no waitlist movement today? That doesn't seem like a good sign.
Today was the deadline for multiple-acceptance applicants to narrow down to one school, so I wouldn't expect anything to happen today as most had until the end of the business day to get their paperwork taken care of (as machete fred said). Any movement would likely begin starting tomorrow or the next few days, it's not an instantaneous process. Jefferson has historically had quite a lot of waitlist movement, so I highly doubt there is any bad signs as of yet.

Today was the deadline for multiple-acceptance applicants to narrow down to one school, so I wouldn't expect anything to happen today as most had until the end of the business day to get their paperwork taken care of (as machete fred said). Any movement would likely begin starting tomorrow or the next few days, it's not an instantaneous process. Jefferson has historically had quite a lot of waitlist movement, so I highly doubt there is any bad signs as of yet.

Oh ok. That's good to know

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Any movement today?

Can everyone calm down? Y'all know that it's only day 2 and knowing what day they reach out to those on HPWL is independent of their decisions to accept students, right?

How does the HPWL work, by the way? Is it a rank-based system where the applicants are accepted in order as seats open up, or does the committee meet again to reevaluate the HPWL pool?

How does the HPWL work, by the way? Is it a rank-based system where the applicants are accepted in order as seats open up, or does the committee meet again to reevaluate the HPWL pool?

I don't think they have a ranking order so most likely reevaluate the HPWL pool.

Anyone else find it odd that no one on the forum for this year has gotten off the waitlist post traffic day? Based off previous threads this seems like an anomaly. I know its still early but it makes me wonder if something is different this year.

Anyone else find it odd that no one on the forum for this year has gotten off the waitlist post traffic day? Based off previous threads this seems like an anomaly. I know its still early but it makes me wonder if something is different this year.

I get the sense that WLs are moving less/slower in recent years.

I get the sense that WLs are moving less/slower in recent years.
Well I have been seeing quite a few other schools' threads have some good movement. My guess (and it's a total guess) is that Jeff might just be doing something differently or just running a bit slower this time around. I'm not too worried; our time will come my friends.

Well I have been seeing quite a few other schools' threads have some good movement. My guess (and it's a total guess) is that Jeff might just be doing something differently or just running a bit slower this time around. I'm not too worried; our time will come my friends.

yeah like maybe they're consolidating all of the decisions like they did during the cycle, you never know *shrug*

0c7d46000f05563c6fd9da5652d0dd40.png

Reactions: 4 users