2016-2017 Duke University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You might need to clear browsing histories/cookies/cache. Using another browser usually works too.

For some reason the internet at my work is blocking Duke's secondary. This is odd, because I have sat at my desk after work hours and completed like 25 other secondaries. Oh well, I will do this one at home.

Members don't see this ad.

For some reason the internet at my work is blocking Duke's secondary. This is odd, because I have sat at my desk after work hours and completed like 25 other secondaries. Oh well, I will do this one at home.
Try incognito mode.

I'm all set, just did it from work instead of home. My job is a major pain about internet security - my bank account website doesn't even work!

Glad to have submitted that though. Definitely safe to say this is the single most difficult secondary on my plate, though I am proud of all of the answers I came up with.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any other MSTP'rs log back into the application and when you click on the dashboard after submission it changed your program designation to MD only?

i sent them the confirmation email and they approved it within an hour
How much did you end up paying with fee assistance? I got the confirmation email and my total says $85 so I'm just wondering if its correct.

Just submitted secondary today. All of my essays were pretty close to the limit. I tried to answer everything in their prompts and tell a story, so I hope they don't mind because that was the best way that I felt I could answer.

Just submitted secondary today. All of my essays were pretty close to the limit. I tried to answer everything in their prompts and tell a story, so I hope they don't mind because that was the best way that I felt I could answer.

Most of mine were like that. My "humbling" experience one was rather short.

Most of mine were like that. My "humbling" experience one was rather short.
I talked about someone in my care attempting suicide, so I sort of set up the story and then talked about the impact it had on me which brought me close.

Just submitted mine too. Sounds like I followed a similar format as you. If they are going to give you that much space should use to your advantage.This was definitely my hardest/longest secondary I have completed. I wonder how they screen applicants with such a long secondary, feel like it would take a long time.

Reactions: 1 user
From what I heard, DukeMed does not really have requisites anymore, stating that the diversity of undergrad studies is constantly increasing. If you're still in school, it wouldn't hurt to pick up a course in something you're interested in that relates to those fields, but by my understanding its not a consideration to admissions
So I don't have to take sociology and psychology classes right? I emailed them about it but heard nothing. I did quite ok on the P/S section of the new MCAT (131), and asked them if that was enough to show my knowledge in those fields... I'm poor and out of school now. So if they still absolutely require those nest cycle then :(

Did anyone receive an application complete email?

I don't think they send any emails unless you're selected for an interview. their instructions say that unless you receive an II, all correspondence and updates are through the portal. last year it seems people got declined through the portal only.

Question - did everyone else fill out the optional academic courses section? I have not taken a sociology class, and would take it over the summer if I (by some grace) got in before I matriculated, I suppose... But don't want to fill in the rest of the courses and leave sociology blank?

Also is it okay to not fill out the optional "tell us who you are" essays if I'll have covered most of what I'd like to say in the other essays, or did everyone else fill that out as well? I.e. are they actually optional?

Members don't see this ad :)
Question - did everyone else fill out the optional academic courses section? I have not taken a sociology class, and would take it over the summer if I (by some grace) got in before I matriculated, I suppose... But don't want to fill in the rest of the courses and leave sociology blank?

Also is it okay to not fill out the optional "tell us who you are" essays if I'll have covered most of what I'd like to say in the other essays, or did everyone else fill that out as well? I.e. are they actually optional?
I didn't do the " tell us who you are" as there was nothing else to be said , I had pretty much said everything about myself in the other essays .

Did people get an email after submitting the secondary? I submitted and paid the fee, but no emai.....

So I don't have to take sociology and psychology classes right? I emailed them about it but heard nothing. I did quite ok on the P/S section of the new MCAT (131), and asked them if that was enough to show my knowledge in those fields... I'm poor and out of school now. So if they still absolutely require those nest cycle then :(

They'll accept you before you take those classes, you just have to take them before you matriculate. You'd have to ask, but I'd imagine you'd be able to take them at a community college.

I'm an undergrad at duke and I think that its only recommended not required. taking them at a community college post graduation is too much effort IMO.

Is anyone else having trouble accessing the secondary site? I keep on getting

"admissions.duhs.duke.edu unexpectedly closed the connection."

even on incognito..

*Edit: fixed! The site was probably undergoing maintenance or something!

Last edited:
They'll accept you before you take those classes, you just have to take them before you matriculate. You'd have to ask, but I'd imagine you'd be able to take them at a community college.
I'm like pooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

But anyway, they told me that Duke no longer required pre-reqs :)

So only 2 people have reported IIs here? Is this how slow Duke is usually ?

So update, a poster just PMed me to say they got a II here very recently, but doesn't want to post it just because they don't want to risk their anonymity. Unfortunately it wasn't me speaking of myself in the 3rd person haha. Sounds like there is a very small stream of IIs coming out of Duke right now but the main waves haven't started yet.

So only 2 people have reported IIs here? Is this how slow Duke is usually ?

This is just my guess, but I wouldn't start worrying just yet. Since Duke has one of the more demanding secondaries, perhaps when the first group of interviews went out, there was not as many people who had completed their secondary application. Now that more people have had time to work on it, they'll probably be more people getting interview invites on the next round. Hopefully yours is coming next.☺

Reactions: 1 users
So Duke requires Calc/statistics or some other alternative...I haven't taken calc/statistics or any other math class for that matter as an undergraduate. Does this mean I can't apply or is this just a suggestion? Or even better, can I enroll in Calc this semester? ugh so many questions.

Like a few other schools, Duke has moved to a competency-based model.

https://medschool.duke.edu/educatio...ions/admissions-process/academic-expectations

You don't have to take the classes as long as you can demonstrate those competencies in other ways (research, etc.). I was worried because I hadn't taken intro psych, but it will not be a problem.

On there secondary application they actually require to put down the class you took to fill that requirements...are you telling me I can just put down research instead?

On there secondary application they actually require to put down the class you took to fill that requirements...are you telling me I can just put down research instead?

That section is optional. Since I didn't have a psych course, I left it blank. You can do the same since it is a drop down thing and you can only chose from courses on your transcript. Honestly, I don't think its that big of a problem, since they gave me an II without that course or me giving an indication that I will even take it this coming year.

II just now as well!!

OOOOmg Interview Invite!!!!!!! Dream school :)

Reactions: 4 users
My boyfriend got an II from Duke today. Which puts him up to 5 II's already, and while I don't have any rejections yet, I have no II's either from the same places :(. We submitted at basically the same time middle of July. He has a LizzyM of ~80, OOS.

Freaking out right now. It's one thing to see people on the internet getting II's, but it's so much different seeing someone close to you, then you know it's real. Been stalking these forums for the last year-plus but just made an account...

Last edited:
My boyfriend got an II from Duke today. Which puts him up to 5 II's already, and while I don't have any rejections yet, I have no II's either from the same places :(. We submitted at basically the same time middle of July. He has a LizzyM of ~80, OOS.

Freaking out right now. It's one thing to see people on the internet getting II's, but it's so much different seeing someone close to you, then you know it's real. Been stalking these forums for the last year-plus but just made an account...
I feel you.. all these guys getting II's and I feel like I'm just getting passed up lol

Reactions: 3 users
I feel you.. all these guys getting II's and I feel like I'm just getting passed up lol
Same here. I have a LizzyM of <75 and all I've gotten are two rejections. Makes me think I made a huge mistake in my applications.

I've seen a few posts asking if people are OOS. I didn't see any preferences regarding residency listed on Duke's website but is there a preference given towards NC residents?

And congrats on the people getting II's today!

I've seen a few posts asking if people are OOS. I didn't see any preferences regarding residency listed on Duke's website but is there a preference given towards NC residents?

And congrats on the people getting II's today!

I'm pretty sure SDNers have a reflex to ask that regardless of the school we're talking about lol

Reactions: 4 users
My MSAR subscription just expired and I have spent so much money on secondaries and CASper that I don't want to shell out even 25 bucks for it again... sorry for this annoying question please take pity on me haha, does anyone have any idea the percentage of students interviewed that are accepted?

My MSAR subscription just expired and I have spent so much money on secondaries and CASper that I don't want to shell out even 25 bucks for it again... sorry for this annoying question please take pity on me haha, does anyone have any idea the percentage of students interviewed that are accepted?

Info is on the Duke website since MSAR doesn't show acceptances. 180/750.

With regards to the secondary, how much did y'all vary the topics/situations you talked about? The problem is that my most significant life experience (teaching via Teach For America) is basically a perfect fit for like 4-5 of these essays, so I'm struggling with whether or not I should keep talking about that, albeit with very different examples, or think about other experiences I have, though I think those are weaker examples.

With regards to the secondary, how much did y'all vary the topics/situations you talked about? The problem is that my most significant life experience (teaching via Teach For America) is basically a perfect fit for like 4-5 of these essays, so I'm struggling with whether or not I should keep talking about that, albeit with very different examples, or think about other experiences I have, though I think those are weaker examples.

I would say if they fit and it was something you were extremely passionate go for it. Maybe leave one for something else but 4 should be fine! In my primary and secondaries I talked about one of my experiences a lot. I spent a large quantity of time doing it, and it was crucial to my development as a person and future doc. So I say go for it!