2016-2017 Central Michigan University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does CMU waitlist or place on hold all applicants that they interview? or do they actually reject some soon after the interviews? It seems like they put everyone on hold or waitlist until they fill their class.

During the interview they said that they can reject people after an interview, although I haven't seen any post-interview rejections on this thread.

Members don't see this ad.

During the interview they said that they can reject people after an interview, although I haven't seen any post-interview rejections on this thread.
What does that mean for those of us on the waitlist? Would that mean the waitlist is full?

I interviewed in November here and haven't heard a peep from them since. Are they sending out official waitlist emails?

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed in November here and haven't heard a peep from them since. Are they sending out official waitlist emails?
They have been sending out official waitlist and hold emails. I would double check your spam folder or call the office.

Good luck to all the M4s today with match day!! :) Your hard work has paid off!

Reactions: 1 users
That probably depends on if you are seriously considering CMed vs another school. The second look day will give you a better look into the culture of the school, as well as curriculum, etc. It gives you a chance to ask questions and get to know some of the current students/profs without the stress of an interview day. I found it helpful (yet I am IS), as it confirmed for me that this was the school I wanted to attend. Yet, if expenses are too much, or the loss of that time would be difficult for you... I can understand why you might want to pass on coming. I am sure the admissions committee would also be more than happy to answer questions you might have if you are unable to attend 2nd look day.

Thanks @star.buck , I am definitely attending CMU but probably can't come to 2nd day, looks like I'll be depending on SDN and colleagues for info.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello all when I got rejected I got this email that said "If you are interested in receiving additional feedback regarding your application, please visit our website for further information and the next steps for you to take. We ask that you do not call the Admissions office concerning feedback as we will not be able to adequately and thoughtfully discuss your application at this time. Information on this process will be available on our website after March 15, 2017." Does anyone know where this process is located on the website? Thanks and congrats to all the accepted students

Application Workshop | Central Michigan University

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know when the committee will meet next to re-evaluate waitlisters?

I'm on the waitlist and I've submitted my FAFSA information to CMED because I was told to pursue financial aid while waiting for admission. I'm wondering what the next steps are? I don't see a number for the financial aid office and I'm not sure how to apply for a student loan without their help.

I met a current CMED student while I was interviewing and I wanted to get in touch with them to ask for advice. Googling didn't help -- is there any way to reach them? Asking the admissions office seems like it could be perceived as a creepy request.

I met a current CMED student while I was interviewing and I wanted to get in touch with them to ask for advice. Googling didn't help -- is there any way to reach them? Asking the admissions office seems like it could be perceived as a creepy request.
@star.buck may be able to help

@star.buck may be able to help
Not a current student but I second this! And also as long as you've filled out fasfa you should be all set! Plus when you get accepted you can always talk with the finicaly aid office they're super helpful!

Not a current student but I second this! And also as long as you've filled out fasfa you should be all set! Plus when you get accepted you can always talk with the finicaly aid office they're super helpful!

Haha... Starbuck to the rescue We are pm'ing. As it involves personal contact information. Thanks for the vote of confidence guys!

Edit: success, btw. :)

Last edited:
Deep breath ya'll. I know it's really hard waiting... but being patient is highly advisable right now. When the deadline comes for people to hold on to one acceptance (April 30?) the waitlist will move quickly and usually quite profoundly. If you're priority waitlist, hold on to your seat... very good chance you'll get a call. Even if you're waitlist, there's still a decent chance. I know it's hard... and I know you want answers now because it will determine your upcoming year... but honestly even the admissions office will likely only have a vague answer for you until after April 30.

Deep breath ya'll. I know it's really hard waiting... but being patient is highly advisable right now. When the deadline comes for people to hold on to one acceptance (April 30?) the waitlist will move quickly and usually quite profoundly. If you're priority waitlist, hold on to your seat... very good chance you'll get a call. Even if you're waitlist, there's still a decent chance. I know it's hard... and I know you want answers now because it will determine your upcoming year... but honestly even the admissions office will likely only have a vague answer for you until after April 30.
So, sadly, I am assuming there is no hope for holds...we are just silent rejections?

Don't know much about holds, other than they are kind of like saying "hang on, we need to make a decision". That's why I'd didnt mention them in the post you're referring to.
Thank you. These are trying times and a kind word is always appreciated.

Don't know much about holds, other than they are kind of like saying "hang on, we need to make a decision". That's why I'd didnt mention them in the post you're referring to.
Thanks for all you help Star.buck. What are your thoughts on OS applicants on hold? You think we are more out of luck? Or do they usually put OS apps on hold? Thanks again for your input

Thanks for all you help Star.buck. What are your thoughts on OS applicants on hold? You think we are more out of luck? Or do they usually put OS apps on hold? Thanks again for your input

Hold is vague, can't really comment on it. Cmed does favor the IS applicants, which makes sense per the school's mission. I know there are several OOS acceptances via this thread, so they are not auto-holds.

Unless you have an acceptance, my advice would be to start on plan B (which for me was always: make my app stronger, and don't lose time doing that).

Reactions: 2 users
Anybody waitlisted or on hold hear anything back lately?

I have been waitlisted since Nov and have not heard anything. Is it to early to send update letters/ letter of Intent?
I'm not sure what the benefit to waiting would be? Wouldn't you just upload it through the portal anyways?

I'm not sure what the benefit to waiting would be? Wouldn't you just upload it through the portal anyways?
I uploaded it a few weeks ago but I was reading in some forms to wait and send it in April closer to when decisions are made. Im not sure if it makes a difference or not.

I uploaded it a few weeks ago but I was reading in some forms to wait and send it in April closer to when decisions are made. Im not sure if it makes a difference or not.
n=1 but I sent mine in a few weeks ago after getting a hold in December

n=1 but I sent mine in a few weeks ago after getting a hold in December
It says we get 3 updates so I don't think there's any harm in sending on now. If you have new updates in April then you can send another one. So that might even be better.

Would you upload a letter of intent to your portal updates? I'd think sending it straight to the director of admissions would be more effective...what do you guys think? Looking to send mine tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Would you upload a letter of intent to your portal updates? I'd think sending it straight to the director of admissions would be more effective...what do you guys think? Looking to send mine tomorrow.

You could email it to the admissions email but they'll just tell you to upload through the portal.

Yeah when I called and asked they said it should be uploaded through the portal updates.

Any match data by program out yet?

100% match, to programs throughout the country, including a Harvard associated hospital, several to Cleveland Clinic, Indiana University, and elsewhere. Programs included emergency, radiology, general surgery, anesthesiology, vascular surgery, and many to internal and family medicine. We are VERY proud of our first class and what they have shown our beloved rural school can produce. I haven't seen specific numbers yet, but I'll post the link to a local article with some stats in it. Fire up chips!!!

Perfect score: All CMU med students secure residencies

• Emergency medicine – 19 percent;
• Internal medicine – 18 percent;
• Family medicine – 11 percent;
• Psychiatry – 8 percent;
• Pediatrics, anesthesiology, obstetrics/gynecology and general surgery – 24 percent; and
• The remaining 20 percent in various other specialties.

Reactions: 6 users
Do we know when the committee is meeting next?

From what I was told it seems they met sometime after the final interview day and ranked the waitlist (we don't know our rank). So they will probably be pulling people off as seats open up

Reactions: 2 users
From what I was told it seems they met sometime after the final interview day and ranked the waitlist (we don't know our rank). So they will probably be pulling people off as seats open up

Oh I see..when was the last interview date, and do you know if they change ranks around as updates come in? I just uploaded one last week.. thanks in advance!

I too am wondering if our ranks can change at all or if it's all already been decided.

Question about the letter of intent. Is the letter just a formal letter stating if accepted you will attend that school and the reasons why you would be a good addition to the med school and vice versa? Any suggestions on how to create a strong letter? Thanks in advanced.

Question about the letter of intent. Is the letter just a formal letter stating if accepted you will attend that school and the reasons why you would be a good addition to the med school and vice versa? Any suggestions on how to create a strong letter? Thanks in advanced.
Hey El Capitan10. You pretty much nailed it. Just make sure you state it clearly and concisely in the LOI that you will attend CMED if guaranteed acceptance. Things to include perhaps are - what you particularly enjoyed during your interview day, aspects of the program that peaks your interest, your personal contribution to the class, and finally, any noteworthy updates (extracurricular, research, awards, honors, achievements, etc) since your CMED interview. Just make the LOI clear, direct, concise, enthusiastic, and max of one page. It wouldn't hurt sending it via email to admissions in the next couple weeks since the deadline to officially matriculate to only one med school is coming up. I wish you all the best and good luck! Feel free to msg me if you have any other questions.

Anyone know how to decline an admissions offer? I cannot figure it out anywhere.
Side note: Hopefully someone who's waitlisted on here will get my spot!

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone know how to decline an admissions offer? I cannot figure it out anywhere.
Side note: Hopefully someone who's waitlisted on here will get my spot!

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

I just emailed the admissions email.

Edit: OOS btw

Last edited: