2016-2017 Albany Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got accepted!

Someone asked earlier, but I was wondering if anyone knew if there was a Facebook group for incoming students?
I haven't found one yet!

Members don't see this ad.

Just got accepted!!! Interviewed Feb 14!

Reactions: 8 users
Accepted off the UC list yesterday! First one after having to reapply! Interviewed early January and then UC'ed later in the month!

Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Any current students on here able to answer some questions for us newcomers?

Where should we look for housing?

When should we expect information about orientation and class starting?

Reactions: 1 user

I was wondering the same thing!

Tentative Dates I got from admissions: July 30/30 for Orientations/ White Coat Ceremony
Aug 3 for First Day. This is tentative, so we shall see.

Just got accepted!

Someone asked earlier, but I was wondering if anyone knew if there was a Facebook group for incoming students?
From past threads, it seems like M2's are responsible for making the groups and they're not created until April-ish

Got accepted on Tuesday off the waitlist!!! Best morning ever! :) Interviewed early January

Reactions: 2 users
in addition to MMI, do they have any traditional interview component where you get asked standard interview questions, e.g. why albany, why medicine? interviewing tomorrow

in addition to MMI, do they have any traditional interview component where you get asked standard interview questions, e.g. why albany, why medicine? interviewing tomorrow
Just MMI

Accepted today! Interviewed 3/1

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Current M1 at AMC here, feel free to message me with questions. They'll send out a list for housing at some point with landlords that are looking and all information about the apartments, etc., I found it very easy to find affordable housing. Information about orientation will come pretty much throughout the summer, but especially in later summer. My orientation started July 31st, although I don't know the exact date for yours yet.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Quick question. Can anyone tell me if they send you some sort of follow up/confirmation email a few days before the interview?

Quick question. Can anyone tell me if they send you some sort of follow up/confirmation email a few days before the interview?
They don't. I didn't receive one anyway.

I'm interviewing on Tuesday, but its suppose to be snowing quite a bit. Is the tour before the interview mostly indoor or is there a lot of walking around outside? I just want to make sure I pack/wear the appropriate attire!

I'm interviewing on Tuesday, but its suppose to be snowing quite a bit. Is the tour before the interview mostly indoor or is there a lot of walking around outside? I just want to make sure I pack/wear the appropriate attire!
I'm pretty sure it was entirely inside! Everything is connected! The school and hospital are directly connected and the new pavilion/ garage is connected by an indoor breeze way. I think but don't quote me!

Same! Just when I thought living 45 minutes away was an advantage

I've already had my interview, and everything is inside! If you stay at the Hilton Garden Inn, you can call ahead to reserve a shuttle to pick you up from the airport. They also have a walkway that is directly connected to the hospital, so you don't have to go outside.

Thank you so much guys!!! Just booked the Hilton too so I don't have to risk driving in the snow. The weather report I just watched said the storm could be nothing or record breaking :unsure:

Is there a facebook page for accepted applicants yet?

I was just notified they're cancelling tomorrow's interview due to the blizzard!

Got the e-mail for second look. It's going to be on April 10

They'll probably just have the interview the following day or two... Not the most convenient but I doubt they'll totally cancel it
It better be canceled now lol, I'm already half way home. LA-Orlando-Albany-Charlotte- LA in 24 hours. I'm too tired to be mad. I just rescheduled for the last interview date. I hope they have some sympathy for me.

Reactions: 6 users
No reimbursement unfortunately. :( I may reschedule for the last day too. So much moolah. It hurts.

Gosh. That sucks. Hopes everything works out.

It better be canceled now lol, I'm already half way home. LA-Orlando-Albany-Charlotte- LA in 24 hours. I'm too tired to be mad. I just rescheduled for the last interview date. I hope they have some sympathy for me.
When is the last interview date?

How long did it take for your deposit checks to be marked as received on your portal after you mailed it?

How long did it take for your deposit checks to be marked as received on your portal after you mailed it?
I sent mine using 2 day shipping. A few hours after the postage company notified me it was delivered, Albany marked it as received on my portal. An admissions worker did tell me it could take 24 hours post receiving the money to mark it on the portal.

Mine took like 4 days or more I called after that bc I was worried but they eventually marked it complete the day after.

I don't think you were supposed to answer that if you signed the form lol. hmmm
They say that they use MMI before the form is signed. Plus the MMI is the only part included in the NDA so if there was a traditional interview on top of the MMI, it wouldn't be covered under the NDA.

From their website:
Another critical component of the candidate evaluation process is the interview. AMC utilizes the Multiple-Mini Interview (MMI) process, which provides the College and the applicant an opportunity to learn more about each other. Via a series of short one-on-one interviews, applicants are asked to critically assess a variety of topics over an approximate 90-minute period.

does anyone know when/where the match results will be posted?

They say that they use MMI before the form is signed. Plus the MMI is the only part included in the NDA so if there was a traditional interview on top of the MMI, it wouldn't be covered under the NDA.

From their website:
Another critical component of the candidate evaluation process is the interview. AMC utilizes the Multiple-Mini Interview (MMI) process, which provides the College and the applicant an opportunity to learn more about each other. Via a series of short one-on-one interviews, applicants are asked to critically assess a variety of topics over an approximate 90-minute period.

Hey, you do what you think is cool. I'm just saying that the question you answered has been asked a few times before on this thread already and others decided not to answer because they signed the form.

Hey, you do what you think is cool. I'm just saying that the question you answered has been asked a few times before on this thread already and others decided not to answer because they signed the form.
I think the NDA is really all about preventing us from disclosing specific MMI prompts. Freak7 was just giving general info. I don't think there's any harm in that. I signed an NDA for another school. Still haven't seen the one for Albany so I can't say for sure I guess.

Reactions: 1 users
I think the NDA is really all about preventing us from disclosing specific MMI prompts. Freak7 was just giving general info. I don't think there's any harm in that. I signed an NDA for another school. Still haven't seen the one for Albany so I can't say for sure I guess.
Plus I didn't give any info not available on their website.

Plus I didn't give any info not available on their website.

One can say that by stating what questions won't be asked you are in a sense indirectly disclosing prompts. But hey, like I said, you do what you think is cool.

One can say that by stating what questions won't be asked you are in a sense indirectly disclosing prompts. But hey, like I said, you do what you think is cool.
Dude what? He said there was only an MMI. Didn't say anything about what prompts would or wouldn't be there. The fact that there's only an MMI is on the website and everywhere else. There's not some secret traditional interview that we also signed an NDA for. Pretty sure any lawyer or member of the Albany adcom would agree.