2016-2017 Albany Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know the dress code for the second look day?
They said Casual!

But obviously don't dress like a shlep haha. First impressions and all. But don't be the person who overdresses either

Members don't see this ad.

Just withdrew, hopefully one of you on the waitlist gets that seat.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
what are you guys wearing to second look day dinner and then the next day? thanks! im thinking just blouse with dress pants and flats both days?

what are you guys wearing to second look day dinner and then the next day? thanks! im thinking just blouse with dress pants and flats both days?
I have no idea so I would like to know too!

Withdrew my acceptance. Someone should be getting my spot soon

Reactions: 4 users
So I'm looking at cost of attendance for Albany Med and I don't really understand it. Is it really estimated to be 100k plus per year?

So I'm looking at cost of attendance for Albany Med and I don't really understand it. Is it really estimated to be 100k plus per year?
Yeah it is. But most private schools are right around that figure anyway. At least housing is cheap.

Members don't see this ad :)
No. You're probably looking at the PA school page which was the mistake I made at first. It's actually around 78k according to pages 35 and 36 of the financial aid document: https://www.amc.edu/academic/underg...018-Financial-Aid-Guide-with-TOC-2-17-PDF.pdf
I don't understand why they make it so difficult to find this info, they didn't even give us a sheet with COA on interview day. Plus it's so easy for people to accidentally think the PA page is actually for the med school...

Did you land at 78k COA by taking the ~60k educational costs for "AMC I" period and multiplying the monthly living budget by 10 months? This is the only school that makes you jump through hoops just to figure out their total estimated COA:laugh:

Reactions: 1 users
Can anyone who went to the second look give some feedback on how it went

Can anyone who went to the second look give some feedback on how it went
I think it was a generally positive experience, you can tell that the students that go there really do have a tight knit community. There isn't as much of a rigorous academic/research environment as I hoped there would be so I probably will not be matriculating. However, it really is a great place and I am sure that everyone that attends will have a great time!

I don't really agree with that ^. There might not be a basic science research heavy aspect of it like some other medical schools which are also large universities and thus have a lot more money for wet lab (bench) research, but there is definitely a lot of clinical research happening. Every student I spoke to during the weekend participates in some way in clinical research. You also have to remember that the point of going to medical school is to become a physician, not a PhD so not even entirely sure how much time you have to do extensive research. As for the summer, I am pretty sure they said they will fund anything you want to do including going to a different place, in a lab to do research.
As for academic, can't see how a medical school cannot be a rigorous academic environment as the nature of the field itself is rigorous and its up to you how much you study and prepare for the step 1.

My view is that it was by far the best second look I have attended (been to 4) and that it is an amazing community and environment to spend 4 super stressful years in. I think they prepare you extremely well for the step 2 and make sure that all students develop amazing clinical skills.

I am still not fully committed just because I am on the waitlist at my top choice school (for tuition and expenses reasons) but will certainly pick AMC over my other acceptances after learning more about the program over the weekend.

Reactions: 6 users
Just curious has anyone from the 4/4 interview group heard anything? I know they said 2-3 weeks but sometimes they accept people within a week.

I don't really agree with that ^. There might not be a basic science research heavy aspect of it like some other medical schools which are also large universities and thus have a lot more money for wet lab (bench) research, but there is definitely a lot of clinical research happening. Every student I spoke to during the weekend participates in some way in clinical research. You also have to remember that the point of going to medical school is to become a physician, not a PhD so not even entirely sure how much time you have to do extensive research. As for the summer, I am pretty sure they said they will fund anything you want to do including going to a different place, in a lab to do research.
As for academic, can't see how a medical school cannot be a rigorous academic environment as the nature of the field itself is rigorous and its up to you how much you study and prepare for the step 1.

My view is that it was by far the best second look I have attended (been to 4) and that it is an amazing community and environment to spend 4 super stressful years in. I think they prepare you extremely well for the step 2 and make sure that all students develop amazing clinical skills.

I am still not fully committed just because I am on the waitlist at my top choice school (for tuition and expenses reasons) but will certainly pick AMC over my other acceptances after learning more about the program over the weekend.

I fully agree. Everyone talked about how easy it is to get into clinical research and in any capacity we want to, whether it's simply writing the papers or actually doing work.

Of course at second look day they didn't really go into too much about how hard it is. The students just finished a block and they all assume we know what we're getting into (ie rigor).

I'm in the same boat where I'm waitlisted at my first choice, but if I will be very happy at AMC if that doesn't work out.

Reactions: 2 users
I think it was a generally positive experience, you can tell that the students that go there really do have a tight knit community. There isn't as much of a rigorous academic/research environment as I hoped there would be so I probably will not be matriculating. However, it really is a great place and I am sure that everyone that attends will have a great time!
I agree. felt the same

Hey there. Does anyone know where I can find the 2017 calendar? I plan to go on a short vacation in late July and I don't want to miss orientation or registration or anything of that sort. Any idea?

Hey there. Does anyone know where I can find the 2017 calendar? I plan to go on a short vacation in late July and I don't want to miss orientation or registration or anything of that sort. Any idea?

You should have gotten an email from Assistant Dean Rebecca Keller! Orientation starts July 30th

I thought I destroyed my interview and today I was just placed on the waitlist. I'm really starting to lose hope on this cycle.

I thought I did great in the interview as well and ended up rejected so be grateful you're still in the running

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm on the UC list and planning a summer vacation right now. Can anyone who is accepted and/or has the information please provide me with summer to start of school calendar? (i.e when is orientation, first day of classes, dates of other events and mandatory/non-mandatory events) I can't seem to find anything except that orientation is July 30 and the first day of classes is August 28. Isn't that a rather large gap between them?

Thanks a ton!

I'm on the UC list and planning a summer vacation right now. Can anyone who is accepted and/or has the information please provide me with summer to start of school calendar? (i.e when is orientation, first day of classes, dates of other events and mandatory/non-mandatory events) I can't seem to find anything except that orientation is July 30 and the first day of classes is August 28. Isn't that a rather large gap between them?

Thanks a ton!
Orientation 30th-2nd, classes start on the 3rd

You should have gotten an email from Assistant Dean Rebecca Keller! Orientation starts July 30th
Oh I probably should have indicated that I'm on the waitlist. Just in case something good happens, I want to be here for it. But thanks for the info!

withdrew today - good luck to everyone on the UC list!

Reactions: 3 users
EDIT: Last year after the traffic day there were acceptances posted the following day! Not too much longer hopefully :)

Last edited:
Withdrawing as I was accepted at my first choice, but I really like this school! Best of luck to everyone

Do people who were UC'ed early after their interview (like a week after or so) have better chances of getting off the UC once May comes?

Has anyone sent a letter of interest? I think Albany said they don't accept updates unless they specifically require one, but wasn't sure if that applies to LOI (probably does though since LOI's usually include some updates...)

Officially withdrew today. Best of luck to everyone on the UC list!

Has anyone sent a letter of interest? I think Albany said they don't accept updates unless they specifically require one, but wasn't sure if that applies to LOI (probably does though since LOI's usually include some updates...)

When I was updating my application in December, they accepted my fall semester grades, but did not accept the update on my extracurriculars. That kind of gave me the vibe that they won't take LOI's, but I don't know for sure.

Trying to decide between Albany and another school. Are there any current students that can talk about student life outside of course work? Are there a lot of hiking opportunities/climbing/bars in or close to Albany? I like the program but the location seems so isolated. Also, can anyone comment on distractions while taking tests for the rolling exam times (for those who don't know, there is a "window" for taking exams, ie you will have a 5 hour window to complete a 2 hour exam, which you can come in at any time during that 5 hours to complete). I am worried about people strolling in and interrupting my train of though since I'm a little OCD.

Trying to decide between Albany and another school. Are there any current students that can talk about student life outside of course work? Are there a lot of hiking opportunities/climbing/bars in or close to Albany? I like the program but the location seems so isolated. Also, can anyone comment on distractions while taking tests for the rolling exam times (for those who don't know, there is a "window" for taking exams, ie you will have a 5 hour window to complete a 2 hour exam, which you can come in at any time during that 5 hours to complete). I am worried about people strolling in and interrupting my train of though since I'm a little OCD.
To add on to this: what are the scholarships like for non-first years? I was told that they don't offer anything to first years but they offer a lot to 2nd, 3rd, and 4th years.