2016-2017 Albany Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Trying to decide between Albany and another school. Are there any current students that can talk about student life outside of course work? Are there a lot of hiking opportunities/climbing/bars in or close to Albany? I like the program but the location seems so isolated. Also, can anyone comment on distractions while taking tests for the rolling exam times (for those who don't know, there is a "window" for taking exams, ie you will have a 5 hour window to complete a 2 hour exam, which you can come in at any time during that 5 hours to complete). I am worried about people strolling in and interrupting my train of though since I'm a little OCD.
I attended their second look and they had a part where we got to meet a number of the clubs. There was an outdoors club which does hiking/climbing/skiing/etc so there's plenty of that with all the mountains around. They also took us out and there's definitely a number of bars and food spots about 10-15 min walk from teh medical center. It sounded like students generally have time for several extra curricualr activities on top of course work, whether it be sports, volunteering, medical interest groups, etc.
Have no idea about the rolling test times, but I'd think that people would be generally courteous about not being super loud/disruptive when they walked in, but hopefully a student can shed more light on this

Reactions: 1 user
Just withdrew, good luck to everyone on the UC list!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Withdrew here yesterday, good luck to the rest of you!

Do you think we can expect UC movement starting Monday, May 1st?

withdrawing! good luck hope one of you guys gets my spot!

Reactions: 1 users
Withdrew, Good Luck guys, hope one of you get my spot.

Withdrew my acceptance. GL you guys

Okay silly question... you can stay on a waitlist while maintaining an acceptance elsewhere right?

Accepted this morning after being on UC list. Interviewed 4/4. Will be withdrawing, just wanted to let everyone know UC list movement has started! Good luck!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
for those accepted, is there a grade minimum requirement to keep the acceptance? or do you just have to pass and graduate?

Accepted this morning off the UC list! Interviewed 3/17

For those recently accepted off the waitlist, would you mind sharing your stats and is or oos? Thanks in advance! Congrats btw!!!

withdrew!!! hope someone gets my spot!

ACCEPTED OFF THE UC LIST THIS MORNING. INTERVIEWED 10/19... LONGEST WAIT OF MY LIFE.

Reactions: 10 users
ACCEPTED OFF THE UC LIST THIS MORNING. INTERVIEWED 10/19... LONGEST WAIT OF MY LIFE.
Congratulations!! So happy for you :)
Did you get a notification via email or phone call?

Congrats again!

On MSAR:

"Typically, around 200 are offered a position on the wait list. In 2016, 57 replied yes to the wait list. 9 were accepted off the waitlist."

Does this just refer to Alternate list? I can't imagine this being the case for UC. If so, does anyone know what UC numbers look like?

On MSAR:

"Typically, around 200 are offered a position on the wait list. In 2016, 57 replied yes to the wait list. 9 were accepted off the waitlist."

Does this just refer to Alternate list? I can't imagine this being the case for UC. If so, does anyone know what UC numbers look like?

Did we ever have to send an email accepting our position in the waitlist or something? If I didn't reply to the email about me being on UC, am I not on the waitlist for Albany? I don't recall reading anything asking for a reply in the UC email...

Also, what's the difference between the WL movement happening now and the movement that will supposedly happen in June?

Did we ever have to send an email accepting our position in the waitlist or something? If I didn't reply to the email about me being on UC, am I not on the waitlist for Albany? I don't recall reading anything asking for a reply in the UC email...

Also, what's the difference between the WL movement happening now and the movement that will supposedly happen in June?

I don't think the UC list email asked us to do anything. And I don't think there's really any difference I think they just keep taking people until the class is full. I am surprised though by the lack of movement thusfar. Only 3 people reported getting off the UC list here on SDN (obviously way more did IRL but if you look at other years threads there was usually 5-10 people reporting on the first week. Yes I know n=small number though).

I think sometime later in the summer, the UC list turns into a tradition waitlist in which 200 positions are offered, but only 57 accept a spot on the WL, of which 9 get accepted.

Sent from my SM-G935T using SDN mobile

any new UC movement this week?

With 115 people in the fb group, seems as if the class is almost full.

With 115 people in the fb group, seems as if the class is almost full.

The FB group is like 1/2 current M1... fb groups are never a good measure of class size

accepted from UC since November...totally unexpected. now i'm torn :shy:

Accepted off UC! (placed on November) I'm IS, and this was my top choice. For all those still waiting, keep the faith!

Hi all - I am planning to apply here this cycle, started pre-writing the secondary, and have a couple questions.
For question 2) is getting a 505 (123 cars), then getting a 517 (127 cars) on the second attempt, considered an "inconsistency" and should I explain my low 1st score?
Also, I'm having a little trouble with question 5) about the "one thing" that would help ADCOMS decide if I should be admitted. Any advice on what to write about?

Hi all - I am planning to apply here this cycle, started pre-writing the secondary, and have a couple questions.
For question 2) is getting a 505 (123 cars), then getting a 517 (127 cars) on the second attempt, considered an "inconsistency" and should I explain my low 1st score?
Also, I'm having a little trouble with question 5) about the "one thing" that would help ADCOMS decide if I should be admitted. Any advice on what to write about?
For question 5, think of it as a "What makes you unique/stand out from the rest of the applicants".

I talked about an inconsistency between my practice MCAT, actual MCAT, and my GPA. I would say go ahead and say that is an inconsistency but turn it around into a lesson learned.

If there is no where else in the secondary to answer the question "Why AMC", use question 5 to do so. That goes for every secondary that you write. If they don't specially ask, gear one of your answers as to why you chose to apply to their school, and why you're a good fit. (As if your $100 wasn't enough lol). I know from first hand experience that if you don't do this, you can actually seem disinterested in the school. Or rather, they're just another on the list of schools you applied to. (Not all schools are like that but why risk it.) Sending a post secondary email of interest doesn't hurt either. Best of luck :)

For those of you that were accepted and decided to attend AMC, what are the qualities about the school that made you feel like studying here for the next (at least) 4 years of your life was the right decision? Location, students, vibe, residency placements, etc.? Was there anything notable (in a positive way) about the school that distinguished it from other schools?

Withdrew my acceptance! Very happy to have this as my first acceptance. Best of luck to all you guys :)

Reactions: 3 users
Just got accepted off the UC list! Most likely will not be accepting so I hope someone else gets good news soon!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users