2015-2016 New York University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
there's a tab in the portal where you can submit them

Members don't see this ad.

Any idea when admissions decisions will be released?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Any idea when admissions decisions will be released?
I called on Friday. I was told by mid-February at the latest but I remember a tweet in December said second wave of decisions would be released late January.

Reactions: 2 users
congrats to those accepted! what were your stats?

When does NYU give out merit scholarships? If we didn't get one with acceptance, can we assume we're not getting one? I know they only give out 7....

I called on Friday. I was told by mid-February at the latest but I remember a tweet in December said second wave of decisions would be released late January.

Do you by any chance know if all admissions decisions will be released by then, or will they just start being released?

I called this week - they said all decisions by late jan or early feb

I apologize if this has been answered but I couldn't determine from last year's thread: Does NYU reject post-interview? Or just puts everyone not accepted into the waitlist?

+1 just got it.

1) If applicable, please comment on significant fluctuations in your academic record which are not explained elsewhere on your application.

2) If you have taken any time off from your studies, either during or after college, please describe what you have done during this time and your reasons for doing so.

The following questions are designed to assess ways in which you embody our institution’s core values. Please limit each answer to a maximum of 2500 characters.

3) The Admissions Committee uses a holistic approach to evaluate a wide range of student qualities and life experiences that are complementary to demonstrated academic excellence, strong interpersonal skills and leadership potential.

What unique qualities or experiences do you possess that would contribute specifically to the NYU School of Medicine community?

4) The ultimate goal of our institution is to produce a population of physicians with a collective desire to improve health of all segments of our society through the outstanding patient care, research and education. In this context, where do you see your future medical career (academic medicine, research, public health, primary care, business/law, etc.) and why? Your answer need not be restricted to one category. If your plans require that you complete a dual degree program, please elaborate here.

5) Please answer only one of the following three questions:

1. The most meaningful achievements are often non-academic in nature. Describe the personal accomplishment that makes you most proud. Why is this important to you?
  2. Conflicts arise daily from differences in perspectives, priorities, worldviews and traditions. How do you define respect? Describe a situation in which you found it challenging to remain respectful while facing differences?
  3. Describe a situation in which working with a colleague, family member or friend has been challenging. How did you resolve, if at all, the situation as a team and what did you gain from the experience that will benefit you as a future health care provider?

They really go all out, don't they. In recent years there's been a trend from NYUSOM to try and be a top tier (see: UPenn, WashU, Harvard, Johns Hopkins, etc.) med school and I don't know if it's actually happening, though they sure like to give off the appearance that they are. I mean, just 3 years ago their mean (or median, I don't remember) MCAT was around 31, and last year it was a 37.

are there any other questions in the NYU secondaries besides these?

Do you by any chance know if all admissions decisions will be released by then, or will they just start being released?

Based last year's thread, it seems like most acceptances will be given out on the next release ("late January"). There seemed to be a very select few who got the acceptances and everyone else got the waitlist email in the next next release ("mid February"). Just my interpretation ~

This wait is so long. It's been 2.5 months since my interview date...

Members don't see this ad :)
They said they accepted one group already and will accept another group late jan. Doesn't really depend on when you interviewed in the way you are suggesting.

Since the interview???? I thought you were supposed to get a decision between 6-8 weeks

If my twitter analysis is correct, they accepted a small amount of people on the first date. The dean mentioned on twitter that a larger round is going out in late January that would include early and late interviewees.

accepted. interviewed first week of september. yayyyyyyy

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted! Interviewed early December. wooooooooooooooo

Congrats to all other acceptees!

Another one aboard the acceptance train!!! interviewed in mid nov.

Are the acceptances sent all at once or are they staggered? Thats the question on my mind right now...

Are the acceptances sent all at once or are they staggered? Thats the question on my mind right now...

as of 40 mins or so ago. NYU twitter handle - "
We will be sending out more acceptances today and tomorrow. Please check your email to see if you have been accepted!"

Timestamps!!! The neuroticism is real, I was gonna go get a second lunch at work but now I'm glued at my computer...

Why would they torture us by releasing on two separate days? do they not remember this process and have any sympathy on us?

Why would they torture us by releasing on two separate days? do they not remember this process and have any sympathy on us?
They should accept you solely based on your amazing username. Love it! ;):happy::shy:

If they don't accept you, do they tell you? Or do they leave you hanging? I'm wondering because in the likely event I didn't get in, when do they form a wait list etc.

If they don't accept you, do they tell you? Or do they leave you hanging? I'm wondering because in the likely event I didn't get in, when do they form a wait list etc.

Based on last year's thread, waitlist notifications were sent around the same time as this batch of acceptances. I think they might have immediately preceded them actually

Based on my analysis of past threads, if they don't accept me tomorrow, I will not get any emails. I will be rejected or waitlisted "Mid February" (someone called and heard that everyone will hear back by mid-February) with movements on the WL from end of February onwards. Let's hope for that acceptance tomorrow

Welp. This just took my entire attention for tomorrow lol good luck everyone!

Accepted!!!!!

Major WTF. Really felt like this one was a certain rejection and just completely wrote it off post interview.

Interviewed late October. Received email at 4:08.

accepted!!!! this is the most excited i have ever been ever, good luck to everyone who hasn't heard back!

Does anyone know if the acceptances are in batches release based on interview date? I interviewed early Dec and so did someone else who was accepted today .... So I'm hoping they didn't release all acceptances from my day already :/ congrats to those who heard happy news!b

Does anyone know if the acceptances are in batches release based on interview date? I interviewed early Dec and so did someone else who was accepted today .... So I'm hoping they didn't release all acceptances from my day already :/ congrats to those who heard happy news!b

Their Twitter account said they would be releasing acceptances today and tomorrow. I interviewed in early Dec as well but I am not holding my hopes high.

Im confused why they would release decisions on two subsequent days. I doubt the difference between receiving a decision tomorrow and today is based on chronology. Maybe it has to do with predicting whether individuals accepted today will come based off their current acceptances.

Im confused why they would release decisions on two subsequent days. I doubt the difference between receiving a decision tomorrow and today is based on chronology. Maybe it has to do with predicting whether individuals accepted today will come based off their current acceptances.

I think they just like to inflict pain on us. How else do you explain those random admissions emails inviting us to webinars?

Reactions: 1 users
I think they just like to inflict pain on us. How else do you explain those random admissions emails inviting us to webinars?
Maybe it's just chronological. Who knows. I sure don't. That's why I spend my hours rationalizing my lack of acceptance, looking for reasons to not believe it's all arbitrary

It could be that, but I doubt anyone would immediately turn down NYU though, I would imagine they would hold on to it for a couple days at least

Or they did it by last name and split it that way lol

It could be that, but I doubt anyone would immediately turn down NYU though, I would imagine they would hold on to it for a couple days at least
They don't need to turn it down immediately for the admissions committee to anticipate their lack of attendance. I imagine with so many years of experience they probably can make pretty good predictions. So they could accept more or less people the next day preemptively.

Or it could be just a simple reason like accepting someone is a long process and it takes a couple days for the person doing the work, after they receive a list from the adcom. Or the adcom takes two days to choose everyone that they want to accept.

Has anyone heard anything today?

No news here, and no updates on the portal. I think it's probable that the release is around 4 or 4:30 EST since that's what seems to be the trend. Even with that, it's still unlikely that I'll be productive until then..

Well thanks NYU twitter, when my supervisor asks how today went as far as thesis progress goes I'm sending him a screencap of your tweet.

Reactions: 10 users
Hahaha glad to know I'm not the only one madly refreshing this page

Reactions: 7 users