2016-2017 New York University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Their ranking dropped by 1 position. They were ranked #11 last year and #12 this year. I don't think that is big enough of a drop to worry about. The dean has been working hard to increase their ranking, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Besides, NYU has a great reputation, so I doubt it will drop much more. I would actually expect it to stay around #10.
Their ranking has been constantly increasing the past few years though
This is the first year it stopped rising so it's at least indicative that the rankings have plateaued
But one if the largest reasons for this increase was from the FEMA lump sum granted for hurricane Sandy
I wouldn't be surprised if that the grant's effect on the ranking wore off and dropped the school back down to 30

With that being said, NYU is still an excellent school and I'd attend it even if the ranking dropped below 30

Members don't see this ad.

Is there any other accepted student that is concerned/disappointed about the USnews ranking this year? I applied hoping that NYU would become top 10 but they seem to have went down a bit. I'm worried that their ranking would drop throughout my 4 years.
This has been said many times before and I'll say it again. The only people who really care about USNews rankings are pre-meds. PDs already know the reputation of the school, and that's what should matter. There was a time when Stanford wasnt ranked top 10 but everyone knew it was still one of the best schools in the nation. Technically Mt. Sinai isn't a top20 school anymore, but PDs still know that it's a great school of that caliber. If you're trying to choose between schools, make the choice based on something tangible.

Reactions: 2 users
This has been said many times before and I'll say it again. The only people who really care about USNews rankings are pre-meds. PDs already know the reputation of the school, and that's what should matter. There was a time when Stanford wasnt ranked top 10 but everyone knew it was still one of the best schools in the nation. Technically Mt. Sinai isn't a top20 school anymore, but PDs still know that it's a great school of that caliber. If you're trying to choose between schools, make the choice based on something tangible.

Your logic is correct and I completely agree with you. But by this logic, NYU has never been a top 20 school in the past, and it will never be considered one by residency directors.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah because of it's unstable rankings, I think you'd have to really love NYU to come here rather than it's prestige

Yeah because of it's unstable rankings, I think you'd have to really love NYU to come here rather than it's prestige
I think that's important and should be said in reference to every institution; you should love the school more than you love its prestige.

Reactions: 1 user
I think that's important and should be said in reference to every institution; you should love the school more than you love its prestige.

Fair enough, but many people chase prestige exclusively. So when NYU goes back down to rank 30, they'll hate themselves for going here. So a word of advice from us all- don't come here just for the prestige.

I'm wondering this as well. Didn't someone mention this was the week we'd hear back?
I called this afternoon and the lady I spoke to said she didn't think they were awarded yet, but that it would be via phone call.

Reactions: 1 users
Is there any other accepted student that is concerned/disappointed about the USnews ranking this year? I applied hoping that NYU would become top 10 but they seem to have went down a bit. I'm worried that their ranking would drop throughout my 4 years.

NYU is not a top 10 school, and to be honest shouldn't be, but that doesn't really matter and it shouldn't. (but honestly, in reality though we definite top-ness by research and opportunities, which to be honest NYU is neither lacking in nor overly abundant in, so take the rankings with whatever grain of salt you may). Cornell is ranked #18 or whatever but it's honestly much better than what its ranking is, just as a reference, to prove the arbitrariness of this. Can you definitively say that NYU is better than Cornell? I don't think anyone can. But people can say personal things make NYU a better fit for them. And that's entirely valid. But this is just to say that US News rankings are stupid and are just a measure of random metrics. Stanford going from #10 to #2 in a year just proves that. (They strongarm'ed US News to include research funding per faculty as part of their metric in 2012, which is why they rose astronomically). Does this newfound elite rankings status neglect the fact that Stanford just has great research and a big endowment but poor clinical opportunities and a weird academic environment? Yes. But it's still a great school.

Follow your heart. If you love a school, go there. If you would thrive there, if you're proud of it, if you're excited by it, if it has opportunities that will make you excited, etc. Regardless of whether it's overrated or underrated, over-ranked or under-ranked.

Where do we send an update letter to? Or where do we send a letter of intent to?

Members don't see this ad :)
I wrote a LOI back in February... i hope it works :(
has anyone on the WL heard anything back since January?

I wrote a LOI back in February... i hope it works :(
has anyone on the WL heard anything back since January?
I hope it works out for you too.

In terms of waitlist movement, it's been quiet on the Western Front (at least for me anyway). I think the general consensus is that we won't be hearing anything until after April 30, at which point NYU will probably send out a congratulatory tweet of some sort.

Thanks for the input regarding the ranking everybody! I'll definitely consider this critically when choosing a school. I'll admit, when I first applied, I was enticed by the constantly increasing rank of NYU. But now that I have multiple schools to choose from and see that the rank of this school has stagnated (even slightly dropped), I've really started to consider that there is more to a school than it's current rank.
At the end of the day, it'll be hard to completely disregard the ranking and a part of me will definitely hurt if I came here and NYU dropped back to ~30 over a few years.
I'll keep thinking about this carefully over the next month.

Good luck with your decisions everyone!

Just got my financial aid package. Anyone know how to tell if a scholarship is need based or merit based? And do we know if merit based scholarships went out yet?

In the Category box, does it say "Scholarship" or "Grant"?
Award name has scholarship in it, category is grant, which makes me think it's need based? I've emailed them to ask, just wanted to see if anyone else knew.

Update - yes, its need based. Fin Aid said some merit awards went out, but not all. Admissions is still in the process of awarding the merit aid.

Last edited:
Award name has scholarship in it, category is grant, which makes me think it's need based? I've emailed them to ask, just wanted to see if anyone else knew.

Update - yes, its need based. Fin Aid said some merit awards went out, but not all. Admissions is still in the process of awarding the merit aid.
I got my financial aid thing too. but when they said "some" got sent out, would it be included in the Albert system or would that be separate and included later? Like somebody mentioned a phone call, is that merit award calls?

I got my financial aid thing too. but when they said "some" got sent out, would it be included in the Albert system or would that be separate and included later? Like somebody mentioned a phone call, is that merit award calls?
I did not ask, but I believe it is by phone call. Not sure if it would be reflected in albert.

I did not ask, but I believe it is by phone call. Not sure if it would be reflected in albert.
I called and they said it would be in the Albert system around the time the decision/call would be made. And it would show as separate from the need based aid.

When you spoke to them, did they say "some" like they are still making decisions? Or that it isn't likely but possible that someone could receive merit aid still?

I'm going tomorrow to discuss my aid and I'm trying to find out what I have to work with. I apologize for pestering.

I called and they said it would be in the Albert system around the time the decision/call would be made. And it would show as separate from the need based aid.

When you spoke to them, did they say "some" like they are still making decisions? Or that it isn't likely but possible that someone could receive merit aid still?

I'm going tomorrow to discuss my aid and I'm trying to find out what I have to work with. I apologize for pestering.
No worries! Everyone is on edge, no need to apologize. They specifically said "some have been given out, some have not, admissions is still making those decisions." So although no one should expect such an amazing award considering how few there are, it is still a possibility.

How was the revisit? Did they mention anything about WL movement?

not really, it would speak to their expected yield from the initial cohort. happened at my other second looks.

anyone hear anything helpful on housing? wondering how the lottery works, what % of students use NYU housing etc. if anyone has seen the apartments and can offer some feedback on size (gym?) etc that would be really helpful too.

not really, it would speak to their expected yield from the initial cohort. happened at my other second looks.

anyone hear anything helpful on housing? wondering how the lottery works, what % of students use NYU housing etc. if anyone has seen the apartments and can offer some feedback on size (gym?) etc that would be really helpful too.
They didn't talk about housing, but based on talking to students, I got the impression that everyone that wants on campus housing gets it. It seemed like most people do live in the on-campus apartments, unless they had a SO, pets, or really wanted to live off campus. The apartments are small, but a decent size for NYC. The bedrooms were a good size (if using a twin bed). The communal space (kitchen/living room) is pretty small but doable. The gym is basic, but has multiple cardio machines and some basic weight training equipment. If you are into weightlifting, you would probably want to join a local gym as well. We might also be able to use the undergrad gym that I'm guessing would have more equipment, but I'm not sure.

Sent from my SM-N900T using SDN mobile

Anyone know how big the entering class of 2017 is? I think I remember them saying something like 120 people, is that correct?

Just gave up my spot here for an IS school. Hope it goes to one of you here. Best wishes, everyone!

I also withdrew post acceptance. Best of luck to all you hoping to get some good news in the next few days!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Withdrew post acceptance as well. Best of luck to those on WL!

Last year it was the second day after the first business day following the deadline to only hold 1 accept. aka tomorrow

Withdrew post acceptance. Good luck to everyone!

For those who withdrew after acceptance... any particular reason? I would like to hear some feedback

No news today I'm assuming? Didn't see a tweet from Dean Rivera either

Reactions: 4 users
It's always mindboggling trying to analyze each word of adcom messages.
Do you all think he means that some acceptances went out already or was it a preemptive congratulations for the accepted students this afternoon?

Do you all think he means that some acceptances went out already or was it a preemptive congratulations for the accepted students this afternoon?
Sounds preemptive

I was confused about this too? Why wouldn't they just call or email everyone at the same time? Maybe they decided some yesterday and they are deciding who else to accept this afternoon right now?

By his wording it looks like they're going out later today.

I don't know why I check this website. Living in ignorance is way more enjoyable.

Reactions: 7 users
By his wording it looks like they're going out later today.

I don't know why I check this website. Living in ignorance is way more enjoyable.
Also I swear if I get another email from financial aid or a webinar from them today I am going to absolutely freak out