2015-2016 New York University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ismet

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Whaat no NYU love yet??

Working on pre-writing NYU's secondaries and wanted to see if any current students (or anyone) wanted to shed some light on this question:

If applicable, please comment on significant fluctuations in your academic record which are not explained elsewhere on your application.

I know a lot of people have similar issues to transitioning from high school -> college, but anyway, I got a lot of B's and a couple B-'s in my science courses freshmen/sophomore year (prolly averaging like a 3.3, 3.4). Is this worth commenting on? Junior/Senior year I finally figured it out a got better grades. Does this count as significant fluctuation?

Or to look at it another way, is there any downside to writing about it anyway?

Don't worry. There's a bunch of people like me watching the thread. Just haven't had a reason to post haha

Members don't see this ad :)
In any case that's almost definitely not significant enough to write about

Reactions: 1 user
Whaat no NYU love yet??

Working on pre-writing NYU's secondaries and wanted to see if any current students (or anyone) wanted to shed some light on this question:

If applicable, please comment on significant fluctuations in your academic record which are not explained elsewhere on your application.

I know a lot of people have similar issues to transitioning from high school -> college, but anyway, I got a lot of B's and a couple B-'s in my science courses freshmen/sophomore year (prolly averaging like a 3.3, 3.4). Is this worth commenting on? Junior/Senior year I finally figured it out a got better grades. Does this count as significant fluctuation?

Or to look at it another way, is there any downside to writing about it anyway?
no

What is a significant fluctiation? is it like a 3.7/3.8->3.2/3.3 (or vice versa) or a 3.4/3.5 ->2.5/2.6 (and vice versa)
I'm not qualified to tell you that but if it's a couple b's I don't think it needs an explanation

Oh just re read your post. I think you should ask someone about it (not premeds)

What is a significant fluctiation? is it like a 3.7/3.8->3.2/3.3 (or vice versa) or a 3.4/3.5 ->2.5/2.6 (and vice versa)
I'd personally feel that something <3.0 is worthy of explanation of there's a real reason, meaning it's not "oh I just derped before I knew how to study." If that's the case, I wouldn't bother.

^^ yea make sure your excuse is legit...idk if transitioning to college counts

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd personally feel that something <3.0 is worthy of explanation of there's a real reason, meaning it's not "oh I just derped before I knew how to study." If that's the case, I wouldn't bother.
Of course. My slight dip in GPA is due to me transferring from a top 50 school to a top 20 school (one known for having lower grades too). In addition, I had many more on campus activities/lab work while studying than my first 2 years. I feel like that could all be figured out from the rest of my application. Plus its not like I got Cs/Ds. just a tad few more Bs than As. Although I did get a C+ in a non bcpm course... was 5 credits too. That really killed me.

Kinda the same trouble for me...except my grades started decent (freshman sGPA 3.75), and over my 2nd and 3rd years dropped (current sGPA 3.5). Basically getting B's and A-'s, instead of B+'s and A's. My cGPA didn't change much. Should I mention anything about my sGPA, or is it best to just leave it? @Oranges2 @The Real SVB

Kinda the same trouble for me...except my grades started decent (freshman sGPA 3.75), and over my 2nd and 3rd years dropped (current sGPA 3.5). Basically getting B's and A-'s, instead of B+'s and A's. My cGPA didn't change much. Should I mention anything about my sGPA, or is it best to just leave it? @Oranges2 @The Real SVB
Again, what would you say? That you had a tough semester and didn't study properly? Unnecessary.

Hmm, I agree with @The Real SVB, not much to explain there

Hmmm seems like last year the NYU secondary was sent out pretty early (July 1st) but this year they're slacking :rolleyes:

+1 just got it.

1) If applicable, please comment on significant fluctuations in your academic record which are not explained elsewhere on your application.

2) If you have taken any time off from your studies, either during or after college, please describe what you have done during this time and your reasons for doing so.

The following questions are designed to assess ways in which you embody our institution’s core values. Please limit each answer to a maximum of 2500 characters.

3) The Admissions Committee uses a holistic approach to evaluate a wide range of student qualities and life experiences that are complementary to demonstrated academic excellence, strong interpersonal skills and leadership potential.

What unique qualities or experiences do you possess that would contribute specifically to the NYU School of Medicine community?

4) The ultimate goal of our institution is to produce a population of physicians with a collective desire to improve health of all segments of our society through the outstanding patient care, research and education. In this context, where do you see your future medical career (academic medicine, research, public health, primary care, business/law, etc.) and why? Your answer need not be restricted to one category. If your plans require that you complete a dual degree program, please elaborate here.

5) Please answer only one of the following three questions:

1. The most meaningful achievements are often non-academic in nature. Describe the personal accomplishment that makes you most proud. Why is this important to you?
  2. Conflicts arise daily from differences in perspectives, priorities, worldviews and traditions. How do you define respect? Describe a situation in which you found it challenging to remain respectful while facing differences?
  3. Describe a situation in which working with a colleague, family member or friend has been challenging. How did you resolve, if at all, the situation as a team and what did you gain from the experience that will benefit you as a future health care provider?

They really go all out, don't they. In recent years there's been a trend from NYUSOM to try and be a top tier (see: UPenn, WashU, Harvard, Johns Hopkins, etc.) med school and I don't know if it's actually happening, though they sure like to give off the appearance that they are. I mean, just 3 years ago their mean (or median, I don't remember) MCAT was around 31, and last year it was a 37.

They really go all out, don't they. In recent years there's been a trend from NYUSOM to try and be a top tier
it wouldn't be the first time NYU would be trying to play catch up to the more prestigious schools ;) ;) ;)
lol jk idk, I just think NYU has the privilege of picking the best people as they feel like given the very desirable location

Thanks for the secondaries btw. Good to know that my prewrites were not in vain

Speaking of which @Lost in Translation how much space are you given in the #2 question in the secondary?

For page 1, they have me listed for MD/PhD in their info. But for their question about dual degrees, MD/PhD isn't an option. Should I select "No" for this option even though I am dual degree candidate for MD/Phd?

For page 1, they have me listed for MD/PhD in their info. But for their question about dual degrees, MD/PhD isn't an option. Should I select "No" for this option even though I am dual degree candidate for MD/Phd?
Dual degree generally does not mean the MD/PhD. It means MD/MBA, MD/MPH, MD/MPP, etc. 80% sure

Has anyone not received the secondary?

Secondary received! Best of luck to everyone.

it wouldn't be the first time NYU would be trying to play catch up to the more prestigious schools ;) ;) ;)
lol jk idk, I just think NYU has the privilege of picking the best people as they feel like given the very desirable location
Yea being in NYC contributes. NYU is not a top tier med school (it's still very good) but people with top-tier stats apply there so they can pick the best. I wish this wasn't the case, but whatever. I'm only applying because it's a formality for NYU undergrads to apply to their med school, even if NYUSOM treats their alumni rather unfavorably compared to other schools and their alumni applying to their respective med schools.

Speaking of which @Lost in Translation how much space are you given in the #2 question in the secondary?

There's no limit given.

Received and submitted! Thank you, NYU, for not changing your prompts! :biglove: Being invited to visit would be an absolute dream.

Yea being in NYC contributes. NYU is not a top tier med school (it's still very good) but people with top-tier stats apply there so they can pick the best. I wish this wasn't the case, but whatever. I'm only applying because it's a formality for NYU undergrads to apply to their med school, even if NYUSOM treats their alumni rather unfavorably compared to other schools and their alumni applying to their respective med schools.
lol classic NYU screwing its own students. What's new? :p

"DO NOT COPY AND PASTE ANY ESSAYS ONTO THE APPLICATION."

Seriously? What about from notepad or textedit? haha

"If you have taken any time off from your studies, either during or after college, please describe what you have done during this time and your reasons for doing so."

Gap year activities count here right? I'm probably just a bit over-anxious but just want to confirm haha.

"If you have taken any time off from your studies, either during or after college, please describe what you have done during this time and your reasons for doing so."

Gap year activities count here right? I'm probably just a bit over-anxious but just want to confirm haha.
I included gap year activities.

They really go all out, don't they. In recent years there's been a trend from NYUSOM to try and be a top tier (see: UPenn, WashU, Harvard, Johns Hopkins, etc.) med school and I don't know if it's actually happening, though they sure like to give off the appearance that they are. I mean, just 3 years ago their mean (or median, I don't remember) MCAT was around 31, and last year it was a 37.

Lol if NYU isn't top tier, I dunno what is. The class of 2017 has an average MCAT of 35-36. https://www.med.nyu.edu/school/admissions/about-us/student-composition
No idea where you are getting 31 from.

I think it's in the lower half of the top tier. people have different definitions for these things...not that it matters :p
Also he meant 3-4 years ago, so more like class of 2014 or 2015 stats

It wasn't 31 then either.

^Banco is taking this thread to the hooooouuuseee.

But anyways, working on the secondary. I second @phuynh94 - I would absolutely love an interview here.

EDIT: For the record I do tend to think of NYU as a "lower" top end school - usually never ranked in the top 10, yeah? Banco's right about their numbers though, they're usually top shelf as far as raw stats go.

Rankings don't matter people
We can stop now lol

Reactions: 1 users
^Banco is taking this thread to the hooooouuuseee.

But anyways, working on the secondary. I second @phuynh94 - I would absolutely love an interview here.

EDIT: For the record I do tend to think of NYU as a "lower" top end school - usually never ranked in the top 10, yeah? Banco's right about their numbers though, they're usually top shelf as far as raw stats go.
Rankings don't matter people
We can stop now lol

Yeah tier is subjective obvi, the 31 number just stood out to me.

I interviewed here last cycle and it was probably my favorite interview day, so get excited for this school! On paper this school is awesome, but in person it really blows you away.

Would talking about a low MCAT verbal score be appropriate for this question "If applicable, please comment on significant fluctuations in your academic record which are not explained elsewhere on your application."? I did well on physical and biological but poor on verbal

Would talking about a low MCAT verbal score be appropriate for this question "If applicable, please comment on significant fluctuations in your academic record which are not explained elsewhere on your application."? I did well on physical and biological but poor on verbal
MCAT is not academic record. no go from me

I still don't know what a significant fluctuation is. I went from 3.8->3.3 one year. is that significant? I got a couple of Bs and one C+ in a non-bcpm class which really killed me. Nothing really that extraordinary to cause it... I did transfer to a top 20 school from a top 50 though, one thats relatively well known for grade deflation.

I believe tertiary apps are only available to accepted students so...not until January
The tertiary tab popped up for me today and it contains stuff about residency. Is it only for the 3 yr MD?

The tertiary tab popped up for me today and it contains stuff about residency. Is it only for the 3 yr MD?

Tertiary is only for 3 year MD program.

I am correct to assume that NYU serves a lot of hispanics due to the large hispanic population in NYC right? :p