2016-2017 New York University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know when they announce merit scholarships?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

TBT...we coulda had something special NYU. But you playin.

Reactions: 1 user
TBT...we coulda had something special NYU. But you playin.
ryan-gosling-im-yours.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
[QUOTaE="cresent, post: 18689613, member: 595993"]Does nyu med school give merit scholarship[/QUOTE]

Look above...

Reactions: 1 users
Does waitlist movement here only occur after April 30th?
Most likely. I doubt that aspect of their cycle will change with their switch to non-rolling admissions. From last year's thread, the first report of waitlist movement happened on May 3.

Most likely. I doubt that aspect of their cycle will change with their switch to non-rolling admissions. From last year's thread, the first report of waitlist movement happened on May 3.
Thank you! In general, does anyone know how long we'd have to decide say we get off the waitlist?? Does it vary by school?

Thank you! In general, does anyone know how long we'd have to decide say we get off the waitlist?? Does it vary by school?
I think it varies by school and how close to matriculation you find out. I think you're usually given a couple weeks to decide in May/June, then when it gets closer to matriculation you may only have a day/couple of days to decide

Sent from my SM-N900T using SDN mobile

hey guys, i don't have a Facebook so i cant join the admitted students group. am i missing out on any good info? thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys, i don't have a Facebook so i cant join the admitted students group. am i missing out on any good info? thanks!
Yeah there was a link they posted couple days ago that said you needed to like it or else they were rescinding your acceptance and giving it to me. I appreciate your sacrifices.

anyone else apply to the 3 yr MD track? wondering when we'll hear back... i think they said decisions on it would be released by 3/31. that doesn't give us much time to book a flight to interview with PDs unless we hear back really soon

anyone else apply to the 3 yr MD track? wondering when we'll hear back... i think they said decisions on it would be released by 3/31. that doesn't give us much time to book a flight to interview with PDs unless we hear back really soon
I applied to it too! They said that they would try to schedule the interview during revisit so I'm assuming that means they'll get back to us around the end of March.

Does NYU still give out the academic-based, full-ride Silverstein scholarship? And if so, is that for all four years?

For those who applied to the 3 year program, I just got an interview for it and my interview date is not during revisit. But they reimburse you for travel costs!

thanks for sharing the info. Is it a one day / one interview with the PD? I guess it may be different based on the program applied to. Did the email come from the department or admissions?

thanks for sharing the info. Is it a one day / one interview with the PD? I guess it may be different based on the program applied to. Did the email come from the department or admissions?
I got the email from the department! And it said meet with the residency leadership team so not entirely sure what that entails

The USNWR rankings for 2018 are up
Is there a reason that NYU dropped back down to 12 from 4?
Does anybody have an idea of why they were up to 4 for only one year?

https://www.usnews.com/best-graduat...rch-rankings?int=af3309&int=b3b50a&int=b14409

Sent from my Redmi Pro using SDN mobile

I'm about 99% sure NYU was never #4

ETA: not that this matters. NYU is a fantastic school. Any change in rankings that drastic is most likely due to methodology. That being said, I think they were #11 or something like that, not 4.

I'm about 99% sure NYU was never #4

ETA: not that this matters. NYU is a fantastic school. Any change in rankings that drastic is most likely due to methodology. That being said, I think they were #11 or something like that, not 4.

You're right. I have no idea where I got that number from. Looking at last year's rankings again, there were a lot of ties above NYU. If you don't skip a number when there's a tie, NYU would be ranked 7 rather than 4.

In any case, I agree with you. It's an excellent school no matter what the rankings are.

Last edited:
Anyone do the three year MD interview with a program director? Wondering how long i should expect to be there

Anyone do the three year MD interview with a program director? Wondering how long i should expect to be there

I haven't had mine yet, but when I was scheduling it I was told that it would take all day (8-5) , since it would be with a handful of different faculty members in the department, in addition to the program director. That said, not sure if this is true for all interviews or is program-specific.

I haven't had mine yet, but when I was scheduling it I was told that it would take all day (8-5) , since it would be with a handful of different faculty members in the department, in addition to the program director. That said, not sure if this is true for all interviews or is program-specific.
I think this is program specific because mine is literally only an hour long (this includes the 30 min interview)

Called in friday and they said we'd be hearing about merit rides this week.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone know how much waitlist movement NYU normally has?

Got an email about an hour ago about signing up for Albert (where the financial package will be viewable). The email also said that the financial package would get sent out soon. Is everyone else in the same boat in regard to this email?

Got an email about an hour ago about signing up for Albert (where the financial package will be viewable). The email also said that the financial package would get sent out soon. Is everyone else in the same boat in regard to this email?
Yupp got that email too!

+1

Is there any other accepted student that is concerned/disappointed about the USnews ranking this year? I applied hoping that NYU would become top 10 but they seem to have went down a bit. I'm worried that their ranking would drop throughout my 4 years.

Is there any other accepted student that is concerned/disappointed about the USnews ranking this year? I applied hoping that NYU would become top 10 but they seem to have went down a bit. I'm worried that their ranking would drop throughout my 4 years.

Yeah, the rating will likely drop. I wouldn't attend here over other top 14 schools

Yeah, the rating will likely drop. I wouldn't attend here over other top 14 schools
Their ranking dropped by 1 position. They were ranked #11 last year and #12 this year. I don't think that is big enough of a drop to worry about. The dean has been working hard to increase their ranking, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Besides, NYU has a great reputation, so I doubt it will drop much more. I would actually expect it to stay around #10.