2015-2016 New York Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
just withdrew my acceptance to open up a spot for someone else! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
So current 3rd year here. Congrats to those accepted. Just wanted to answer a few questions...
I grew up in the area and chose an apartment off campus instead. Rents are wide ranging but expect to spend at least $1k a month for a studio. You're better off with roommates getting a 2 or 3 bedroom for are $1500-2500 depending on the town. I pay 1500 utilities included for a 2br with a pool, tennis courts and unlimited parking pet friendly just 15min off campus.

On campus housing is okay, it's not terrible anyway, and the community involvement aspect is huge if you stay on campus. Personally, as someone who is a little older, with pets, a long term partner, and a life outside of school, staying on campus wasn't for me.

Finaid... Well it's there. Do your fafsa, and then start the first step as outlined by Tony sozzo in his email. You can find more info on the website. After that, you'll be contacted about step 2 and eligibility for need based aid and scholarships.

The area... Valhalla thornwood and hartsdale don't really have anything at all to do. For entertainment, shopping, and food you'll find yourself going about 10-20min away to white plains, tarrytown /sleepy hollow, Nyack, and NYC when you have time. There are several train options for the city,ultimately it's cheaper drive.

You will absolutely need a car. Preceptorship and basic life needs occur off campus and this is not a walkable area. You can probably survive bumming off your friends first year, but seriously, don't be that guy. They just started charging us for parking (seriously) no idea about the on campus rate though... I think $240?

That all gives a really boring but practical outline of the campus. There is seriously a lot more to it then that. I'd be glad to answer specific questions when I can. Anything about the school, campus, lifestyle, etc. I don't work for the school or anything, I'm just bored and delaying studying.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Holy moly just got an interview here

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 5 users
congrats!! mind sharing if you were on hold or not? and what dates are still available? thanks!
Hold in January, only April 19 available. I've now been offered the last interview day at 3 schools. Not complaining but kinda feels like I rolled snake eyes a little =/

Reactions: 1 users
Hold in January, only April 19 available. I've now been offered the last interview day at 3 schools. Not complaining but kinda feels like I rolled snake eyes a little =/

thanks for the info! looks like that might be it for II's then :( the schools wouldn't interview you if they didn't see you as being a member of their class, i'm sure you'll do great :)

Reactions: 1 user
@LordxRequiem the last day is 4/21, not to burst your bubble or anything! Congrats!

Anyone interviewing Thursday 3/31 interested in meeting up on Wednesday night for coffee or food?

@LordxRequiem the last day is 4/21, not to burst your bubble or anything! Congrats!

Anyone interviewing Thursday 3/31 interested in meeting up on Wednesday night for coffee or food?

Hey I'll take it!

Can anyone speak to special or unique programs that NYMC offers?

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone else here interviewing tomorrow 3/31 that wants to get some food or coffee tonight? Send me a PM if interested, I'd love to meet up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else here interviewing tomorrow 3/31 that wants to get some food or coffee tonight? Send me a PM if interested, I'd love to meet up.

If you end up solo, I'd highly recommend the penne vodka sauce from euro pizza (or euro cafe can't remember). It's awesome and they deliver

Thanks @NotaCop I will keep it in mind!

For those interviewing and looking for food this evening, I highly recommend taking a 5min trip into tarrytown. there are a lot of good places to eat/drink. good take away bibimbap at Bibillé, taco-project is pretty solid as well. Sweet grass grill if you are into something more substantial. the greek place on the corner is good as well but may not do your breath or stomach any favors. The oath has a solid beer selection. Little b's has some great burgers and truffles on everything. taste of china is some of the best take away chinese in the county. coffee labs for good coffee, muddy water as well. There are also some good thai options in thornwood. good sushi at Wasabi in Sleepy Hollow, and good ramen at Ramenesque in thornwood. Pleasantville has your typical starbucks, as well as The black cow coffee shop.

anyway. just a suggestion. Its worth seeing a bit of the area and all of these places are only a few minutes drive from campus. If you're feeling adventurous you may venture into white plains there are a lot of restaurants on mamaroneck ave.

If you are having trouble relaxing the night before your interview there is a movie theater down Rt 9a in elmsford which may be better than just watching tv in your hotel.

You should know that you are definitely NOT interviewing for a waitlist spot, the school would not waste their time or yours. You should relax and be social with the other candidates, they may very well end up being your classmates. Relax on the MMI, its not that bad and its not a test (there really are many right answers).

best of luck everyone.

Reactions: 6 users
For those interviewing and looking for food this evening, I highly recommend taking a 5min trip into tarrytown. there are a lot of good places to eat/drink. good take away bibimbap at Bibillé, taco-project is pretty solid as well. Sweet grass grill if you are into something more substantial. the greek place on the corner is good as well but may not do your breath or stomach any favors. The oath has a solid beer selection. Little b's has some great burgers and truffles on everything. taste of china is some of the best take away chinese in the county. coffee labs for good coffee, muddy water as well. There are also some good thai options in thornwood. good sushi at Wasabi in Sleepy Hollow, and good ramen at Ramenesque in thornwood. Pleasantville has your typical starbucks, as well as The black cow coffee shop.

anyway. just a suggestion. Its worth seeing a bit of the area and all of these places are only a few minutes drive from campus. If you're feeling adventurous you may venture into white plains there are a lot of restaurants on mamaroneck ave.

If you are having trouble relaxing the night before your interview there is a movie theater down Rt 9a in elmsford which may be better than just watching tv in your hotel.

You should know that you are definitely NOT interviewing for a waitlist spot, the school would not waste their time or yours. You should relax and be social with the other candidates, they may very well end up being your classmates. Relax on the MMI, its not that bad and its not a test (there really are many right answers).

best of luck everyone.

Thank you so much! Coffee will absolutely be in order.

Complete in July/August and still nothing yet :[

Reactions: 3 users

best of luck everyone.

Wish you had posted this before my interview! Nice to know the area has a lot to offer though, thanks!

Does anyone know if we will really have to wait 6-8 weeks for a post-interview decision this late in the cycle or will they accelerate the process a bit? Interviewed yesterday.

Does anyone know if we will really have to wait 6-8 weeks for a post-interview decision this late in the cycle or will they accelerate the process a bit? Interviewed yesterday.
At my interview a few weeks ago they said that it might be accelerated a bit, maybe about 4-6 weeks. I hope your interview went well!

There's no way they'd let you know after April 30

I'm debating interviewing here. Can someone help me out with some pros/cons. It's a pretty pricey flight ticket for me and the website seems a little sparse.

For those OOS accepted, are you going to second look? Debating whether or not to go since this is my only acceptance

I'm debating interviewing here. Can someone help me out with some pros/cons. It's a pretty pricey flight ticket for me and the website seems a little sparse.
Anything in particular you'd like to hear about?

For those OOS accepted, are you going to second look? Debating whether or not to go since this is my only acceptance
I'm going but only because I am weighing options and want to get a better sense of the school/students before I decide. If it's your only acceptance I'd say go only if you can afford it/if you want to meet some of your future classmates!

WL today, OOS interviewed 2-3 weeks ago. Ugh

interviewed 2 weeks ago yesterday, rejected just now via email. good luck to everyone else in the running!

I'm definitely going, always wise to revisit a school without having to force a smile for the whole day

Wait-listed as well. Will withdraw. Good luck everyone!

Does anyone know when the second look is and if it's worth attending? My interview day was pretty whirlwind since I had work the following morning and I felt like I didn't get as much of a feel for the school as I would have liked.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found the date. Unfortunately, that seems like it'll be too soon to get a reasonably priced flight. Oh well!

Last edited:
Just got an acceptance! Interviewed on 3/24. Loved NYMC on interview day and I plan on holding on to that spot :)

Wait listed, interviewed mid-March. Anyone have an idea of odds? I plan on sending a letter on intent next week.

Wait listed, interviewed mid-March. Anyone have an idea of odds? I plan on sending a letter on intent next week.
75/300 last year

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-04-06 at 1.48.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-04-06 at 1.48.14 PM.png
    76 KB · Views: 146
Did anyone else who interviewed in March (I was 3/17) not hear back today?

Last edited:
Accepted this morning! First MD acceptance!!!

Interviewed in late March, I was on hold from August to a few days before the interview.
Is there a Class of 2020 Facebook group or anything like that?

Good luck to all still interviewing or on the waitlist!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Accepted this morning! First MD acceptance!!!

Interviewed in late March, I was on hold from August to a few days before the interview.
Is there a Class of 2020 Facebook group or anything like that?

Good luck to all still interviewing or on the waitlist!!
Wow congrats!

Just received a very unexpected II! Been on hold since October, OOS, LizzyM ~68.

Reactions: 9 users