2015-2016 New York Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was also accepted about a month ago and did not receive an email for the Facebook group. Could someone post a link?
So fb group link anyone? Please?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone who was accepted on Monday get their packet in the mail yet? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Super tough but withdrawing my acceptance. Good luck everyone waiting, hope it goes to one of you!

Anyone who was accepted on Monday get their packet in the mail yet? Thanks!

Mine came today, have to open it when I get home. I'm only upstate though so I don't know how long it would take to get any farther.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Mine came today, have to open it when I get home. I'm only upstate though so I don't know how long it would take to get any farther.

Got mine today you.

Does anybody know anything about off campus housing (near campus) and their costs? So far everything I have seen is really expensive (1500+ for a 1bdr). Does financial aid cover that? (I'm clueless to how this works)

Accepted!!

Interview: 10/20
Waitlist: 11/25
Accepted: 5/9 at 12:39pm

Sent 4 updates since being waitlisted in November.

Reactions: 4 users
Really tough decision because I loved NYMC but I have decided to withdraw my acceptance.

For those on the WL, how many updates have you guys sent? I've sent one, and wonder if that's enough; then again I've not really done anything new.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those on the WL, how many updates have you guys sent? I've sent one, and wonder if that's enough; then again I've not really done anything new.

I've sent two within the past week and a half. One was a LOI and the other was a rec letter from my current employer. Not exactly updates on what I've been doing, but more so general updates to my application.

Last edited:
Accepted this afternoon and I will be attending!! Interviewed late March and waitlisted early April. Sent one letter of intent/update around two weeks ago. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted off the WL today: Canadian, interviewed in December and waitlisted in February, sent in two emails, called last week to ask if they are moving people off the WL. Hope this helps!!!

Hey all. Do you think we need to snail mail the signed offer of acceptance if we already e-mailed it? Thanks!

Just withdrew my acceptance. Loved everything about NYMC. Hope it goes to one of you!

Can any current students comment on:
A. The Internet speed (speedtest results much appreciated)
B. Travel b/w NYC and NYMC.
C. The impact of having grades on the amount of help students give each other.
Thanks a lot!

Congrats to you guys getting off the WL...hoping the movement continues.

The impact of having grades on the amount of help students give each other.

I am not a current student but am pretty sure that the grading is honors/ pass/ fail.

I'm pretty sure it's H/HP/P/F, right?

Thanks, I couldn't remember the honors breakdown.

*googles*

https://www.nymc.edu/media/schools-...rseandClerkshipGradingPolicyfortheNYMCSOM.pdf

The distribution of grades for each basic science course in Years I and 2 shall be approximately: Honors and High Pass: up to 30%, Pass - 70% or more. These guidelines will be reviewed annually by the ECC using cumulative data for each basic science course. These parameters do not apply to other nonbasic science courses in the Year I and 2 programs

Yeah. It's Def H/HP/P/F. I was wondering whether that hurts camaraderie.
Also, after speaking with my student hosts, they informed me it's pretty difficult to get H/HP. They had a recent exam when I interviewed where to get honors, you needed 100%.

However, they also stated that students share a lot of resources with one another, especially M2 to M1. They said that some of the students were pretty competitive, but there are a good amount of students that just want to pass and get good experience outside of the grades during M1/M2.

1. Anyone know when we should expect the housing application?
2. How long did it take for you all to get financial packages after acceptance the admissions offer?
3. Those of you who emailed in your signed offers of acceptance, did you also mail it? (sorry for asking again)
Thanks a lot!

Accepted last week but will be withdrawing! Good luck to everyone still waiting!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Can any current students comment on:
A. The Internet speed (speedtest results much appreciated)
B. Travel b/w NYC and NYMC.
C. The impact of having grades on the amount of help students give each other.
Thanks a lot!

Hey so the internet speed is good. I live in grassland one and our apartment has our own internet router. Just make sure you set it up once you get here- with your own user name and password- because your own apartments internet moves a lot faster then the general NYMC internet. MEC - main building where you have classes - internet is good too and I study there without a problem. You can't connect to netflix in the MEC but thats more helpful then hurtful I've found lol.

I have a car and drive to Harlem, Brooklyn, and Long Island all the time. Harlem is only 30min away. My friend without a car takes Metro North to city and hasn't had any trouble either, you just need a ride to the train station.

We are Honors, High Pass, Pass, Fail. I haven't found a problem with it. You'll see that people here are very help and will post their notes on your classes Facebook page. The classes before you will tell you study methods and point things you should focus on for exams. Older classes also share their notes on Facebook page which is nice.

A lot of people have study groups. Once you get here you'll see that its a ton of material and the only way to tackle it all well is help each other. Pre-med is over, you made it congrats now it's time to work together. Step 1 is the most important thing anyway and the only person in control of your grade on that is yourself sooooo I don't see the need to be competitive. (Just my opinion) There is also a tutoring system here so second and third year student that got atleast honors or high pass in the class the year before can help you clarify concepts. Tutoring is 2 hours per week, but I've personally used the service and have gone over that closer to test time and it wasn't a problem. Also the faculty are crazy nice use them! Rule of thumb is after 15minutes on a concept if you still don't get it go ask for help.

Sorry for the typos and grammar, I'm in bit of a rush. If you have Facebook please join the 2016 admitted students page. A bunch of my classmates are in the group and we are more than happy to answer all your questions.

Reactions: 5 users
Hey so the internet speed is good. I live in grassland one and our apartment has our own internet router. Just make sure you set it up once you get here- with your own user name and password- because your own apartments internet moves a lot faster then the general NYMC internet. MEC - main building where you have classes - internet is good too and I study there without a problem. You can't connect to netflix in the MEC but thats more helpful then hurtful I've found lol.

I have a car and drive to Harlem, Brooklyn, and Long Island all the time. Harlem is only 30min away. My friend without a car takes Metro North to city and hasn't had any trouble either, you just need a ride to the train station.

We are Honors, High Pass, Pass, Fail. I haven't found a problem with it. You'll see that people here are very help and will post their notes on your classes Facebook page. The classes before you will tell you study methods and point things you should focus on for exams. Older classes also share their notes on Facebook page which is nice.

A lot of people have study groups. Once you get here you'll see that its a ton of material and the only way to tackle it all well is help each other. Pre-med is over, you made it congrats now it's time to work together. Step 1 is the most important thing anyway and the only person in control of your grade on that is yourself sooooo I don't see the need to be competitive. (Just my opinion) There is also a tutoring system here so second and third year student that got atleast honors or high pass in the class the year before can help you clarify concepts. Tutoring is 2 hours per week, but I've personally used the service and have gone over that closer to test time and it wasn't a problem. Also the faculty are crazy nice use them! Rule of thumb is after 15minutes on a concept if you still don't get it go ask for help.

Sorry for the typos and grammar, I'm in bit of a rush. If you have Facebook please join the 2016 admitted students page. A bunch of my classmates are in the group and we are more than happy to answer all your questions.
Thanks a lot. Already did. Feels safer to ask stuff here though

P.S. Are there ethernet ports in each room? I plan on living in Grasslands I also. Speedtest results much appreciated. Thanks so much!

Thanks a lot. Already did. Feels safer to ask stuff here though

P.S. Are there ethernet ports in each room? I plan on living in Grasslands I also. Speedtest results much appreciated. Thanks so much!

Hey so I asked Walter - our super on campus- he said it depends on who has the router. So in my case, in my apartment my room has the router so I have the ethernet port, but my suite mate does not. The router is already installed when you move in so I believe its luck of the draw. I've never had to use the ethernet port. Once we set up our own wireless network the internet has worked great. Hope that answered your question.

This is a good question to ask on the Facebook page if you want more info bc I know students on the IT committee are there and can give you a more in-depth answer.

Hey so I asked Walter - our super on campus- he said it depends on who has the router. So in my case, in my apartment my room has the router so I have the ethernet port, but my suite mate does not. The router is already installed when you move in so I believe its luck of the draw. I've never had to use the ethernet port. Once we set up our own wireless network the internet has worked great. Hope that answered your question.

This is a good question to ask on the Facebook page if you want more info bc I know students on the IT committee are there and can give you a more in-depth answer.

Thanks a lot.

1. Anyone know when we should expect the housing application?
2. How long did it take for you all to get financial packages after acceptance the admissions offer?
3. Those of you who emailed in your signed offers of acceptance, did you also mail it? (sorry for asking again)
Thanks a lot!

Also wondering this.

Anyone know when orientation is?

Packet said first week of August but that's all I got

I haven't received a packet yet, but my friend who is also going to NYMC and went to accepted students day says that classes begin August 1st. An academic calendar would really be nice right about now though, I'd like to finish planning my summer! :hardy:

for those of you that have submitted financial aid paperwork, did you print out the confirmation page for the entrance counseling and submit it with the rest of the paperwork or nah? muchas gracias in advance!

for those of you that have submitted financial aid paperwork, did you print out the confirmation page for the entrance counseling and submit it with the rest of the paperwork or nah? muchas gracias in advance!
I didn't because I think it submits online.

I didn't because I think it submits online.
Thanks!

I haven't received a packet yet, but my friend who is also going to NYMC and went to accepted students day says that classes begin August 1st. An academic calendar would really be nice right about now though, I'd like to finish planning my summer! :hardy:
Just kidding, the academic calendar came out today! http://www.nymc.edu/media/schools-and-colleges/nymc/pdf/Year_1_Class_2020.pdf

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted off the waitlist this morning. OOS 32 MCAT/3.6 GPA.

Reactions: 2 users
I've noticed students on other school specific threads talking about purchasing stethoscopes and other medical supplies. Is there anything NYMC requires us to buy ahead of time? Also, should I be worried about not getting a financial aid packet yet? I submitted all the paperwork quite some time ago.

@taylorloche I haven't gotten a financial aid packet either, they said be patient and they're working on it when I called. Probably submitted my stuff a month ago.

Also, I haven't been able to find a list either but all I'm buying is a stethoscope and waiting on books. I'm sure any current students could be a big help with this.

@taylorloche I haven't gotten a financial aid packet either, they said be patient and they're working on it when I called. Probably submitted my stuff a month ago.

Also, I haven't been able to find a list either but all I'm buying is a stethoscope and waiting on books. I'm sure any current students could be a big help with this.

Thanks! That definitely makes me feel better about the financial aid.

Can someone who's already received their financial aid package or a current student please comment on how liberal NYMC is with scholarships/grants and what your total estimated cost of attendance will be? I was just accepted this morning and this info would be really helpful in making my decision. Thank you all!

ACCEPTED!!!! Got the email this morning after interviewing on March 30th and being waitlisted shortly thereafter. This is my first acceptance this cycle and I'm PUMPED!!! Looking forward to August 1st!!!!

Reactions: 5 users
So on interview day a current student mentioned that there are no classes during the second year. Does anyone know what the second year entails if there are no classes? and how many days a week you are required to be on campus? I am thinking about moving closer to NYC second year and want to know if I will have to commute every day. Also, if there is a better place to post this question, please let me know! Thanks!

So on interview day a current student mentioned that there are no classes during the second year. Does anyone know what the second year entails if there are no classes? and how many days a week you are required to be on campus? I am thinking about moving closer to NYC second year and want to know if I will have to commute every day. Also, if there is a better place to post this question, please let me know! Thanks!

From my memory per my student host/people at interview day:

1st year is broken up into systems. It would be better to be closer to campus due to anatomy lab and the more frequent mandatory meetings for M1s. However, a lot of lectures are still optional at this point, and accessible online. My host stated that it would likely be hard to live far away for M1.

2nd year is more for learning diseases and STEP prep. There are less mandatory sections, and movin farther from campus would be more doable. There ARE classes at this time.

All in all, my host said the culture on campus is pretty good, and he recommended to stay on for M1/2.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile