2015-2016 New York Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ACCEPTED!!!! Got the email this morning after interviewing on March 30th and being waitlisted shortly thereafter. This is my first acceptance this cycle and I'm PUMPED!!! Looking forward to August 1st!!!!
Congratulations ABeck1717!!!
Did you send in any update letters after receiving the waitlist notification? If you did, when did you send it in? :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys, oos student here trying to decide between the furnished and unfurnished apartment styles. Can any current students comment on which they would recommend?

Reactions: 1 user
Can any current students who are interested in or who have chosen psychiatry please comment on how well NYMC prepares its students for psych residency?

I've seen that the match list for psychiatry is amazing but am wondering how exactly NYMC matches their students to such top programs. I've done my research but haven't been able to find much information.
Any general comments are helpful and I am also wondering specifically about:

-research programs in psychiatry
-availability of psychiatry mentorship and advising for residency
-quality of clinical sites for psychiatry rotations (ie. variety of patients, direct interaction with patients)

Thank you all so much!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Check your emails-white coat ceremony cancelled for 8/5 and moved up to fall semester, date TBD

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Anyone know if/how we can opt out of the school's health insurance?
Someone posted in one of the FB groups that we will have the option later on, and they will take the money out of our financial aid package

I know nymc provides on campus housing, but if anyone is interested in renting off campus (5 min drive) please PM me for more details. Its a two bed, so we would be splitting the rent. Females preferred. Thanks!

Anyone else not invited to this "secret" Facebook group yet?

Anyone else not invited to this "secret" Facebook group yet?
I was not invited initially. I sent a message on FB to the 2 co-chairs of our orientation, and they added me later that day. Just give them the email associated with your facebook account.

I hear that classes are typically until 4 pm during the week except for a one hour lunch break. Can any current NYMC student comment on what a typical/efficient daily study schedule is? Thank you!!

Withdrawing my acceptance, hope it gets to one of you!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am applying to NYMC this year, just got the secondary. What did you all think about the CASPer test? I'm signed up to take it this Sunday at 6ET. I see online that there is a 45 min preparatory course offered through the company that made the test? Did anyone take this?

I am applying to NYMC this year, just got the secondary. What did you all think about the CASPer test? I'm signed up to take it this Sunday at 6ET. I see online that there is a 45 min preparatory course offered through the company that made the test? Did anyone take this?
I personally did not prepare at all for the CASPer test and had no problem answering the questions.

Reactions: 1 users
Can't really prepare for it. Had lots of technical issues last year, but the test itself was fine.

Take half an hour or so and just type in Word beforehand. Get your fingers loose and your speed up as much as you can before your start. You won't regret it

does anyone know if there's been any wait list movement?

does anyone know if there's been any wait list movement?

I haven't heard much, there's a waitlist thread kicking around that may be more up to date. Orientation starts Monday though, it may be wrapped up.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Can any current students comment on:
A. The Internet speed (speedtest results much appreciated)
B. Travel b/w NYC and NYMC.
C. The impact of having grades on the amount of help students give each other.
Thanks a lot!

A. Varies. The on campus apartments are around 20/5
B. Depends on what you're financial status is like. If you can afford to keep a car in manhattan + pay rent, then driving is easy as the morning commute has no traffic- alternatively many people live in Queens/Brooklyn where parking is cheap and also commute. If you're going to use MetroNorth, the closest train station is in Valhalla which is around ~5 minutes drive from campus but thats a good $10 cab/uber ride each way.
C. Its H/HP/P/F. The vast majority of the class ends up with a P even if you do well. HP is typically 88-90 raw score and H is 90+. Most exams averaged around 76-82 for my class. Overall its very class specific. My class is pretty laid back and chill + all the people that are gunning for competitive specialties keep things to themselves because at the end of the day a lot of your performance on in-house exams is more dependent on how well you can memorize hundreds of ppt slides rather than true understanding (which is what step 1, NBME exams require).

absolutely silly. most people here drive 2-wheel-drive cars. Westchester is wealthy enough to have excellent road cleaning services
Thank you. I ended up bringing my 2-wheel drive car anyway. Btw, how's the student life here? I just moved from the city and I feel like it's so depressing. I hope I don't feel like that forever, it would suck!

Thank you. I ended up bringing my 2-wheel drive car anyway. Btw, how's the student life here? I just moved from the city and I feel like it's so depressing. I hope I don't feel like that forever, it would suck!

A better description is dull. Personally, i moved from a large city when i started and felt the same way initially; however, now that i'm in NYC for clerkships, i feel that that is one of NYMC's strong suits. Very few schools have housing directly across the street from campus. Also, its quiet, safe, and theres an abundance of great study space all over the campus (something you take for granted). You'll come to notice it less, especially if you're working hard on doing well the first two years.

A better description is dull. Personally, i moved from a large city when i started and felt the same way initially; however, now that i'm in NYC for clerkships, i feel that that is one of NYMC's strong suits. Very few schools have housing directly across the street from campus. Also, its quiet, safe, and theres an abundance of great study space all over the campus (something you take for granted). You'll come to notice it less, especially if you're working hard on doing well the first two years.
Thank you!

absolutely silly. most people here drive 2-wheel-drive cars. Westchester is wealthy enough to have excellent road cleaning services[

I have spent half of my life in this area and have had multiple "spin outs" in the winter trying to drive in the" hilly" areas of Westchester. I would assume that most people that live in in "wealthy areas" like Westchester eventually venture to other areas and roads that do not have such "excellent road cleaning services". If you plan on venturing 5-15 miles north,south,or west of Westchester, in the winter, it is very helpful to have 4 wheel drive. If you plan on going to Nyack (for museums,food,culture,theater etc), Woodbury Commons or the Palisades Mall (for awesome shopping), or Manhattan or the Bronx (for nightlife) , or driving on The Bronx River Parkway, Saw Mill Parkway, Sprain Brook Parkway, 684, Cross Westchester Expressway etc., it's good to have a 4 wheel drive vehicle. I have no reason to give inaccurate or "silly" advice. No need for insults.

Last edited: