2015-2016 New York Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted today! Complete mid-August and interviewed early-Feb. Received an email and noted a status change in the portal (link). Good luck to everyone still waiting. Have hope!

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats on the acceptances! NYMC is my first choice. Looking forward to seeing match results... all the posts from all over the country are making me excited for the road ahead.

Interviewed mid December, waitlisted a few weeks ago. Has there been any movement off the waitlist yet?

Waitlisted as well. Around how many people get off the waitlist each year?

Accepted this morning via email! I interviewed in early February, and between being extremely ill for my interview and feeling as though I wasn't making good connections at any of the MMI stations figured I had absolutely no shot at the waitlist here, let alone an acceptance. I don't mean to humblebrag, but considering the fact that SDN is typically a pit of despair -- and that the odds of even getting an interview at NYMC in the first place are slim -- I just wanted to let those of you still waiting on decisions know that anything can happen! (All of this coming from a pessimistic, not-so-impressive candidate that has only been sitting on a couple of waitlists until this morning.)

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Unexpected II today after being complete in early Sept. Tons of dates available through April!

Reactions: 2 users
I was on hold since November and I received a II today, the last date available was the 21st.

Anybody have any idea if somebody who interviewed here sometime last week (may or may not be me...) has a shot at a straight up acceptance? Or are they purely on Waitlist/Reject at this point in the cycle? Based on the "you'll hear back in 6-8 weeks at the earliest" they tell us, I'm looking at last week of April/first week or two of May for a decision. Can't imagine they'll still be accepting at that point.... :/

Anybody have insight they've picked up from previous year threads, calling the office, etc. that they can offer? Thanks in advance!

Anybody have any idea if somebody who interviewed here sometime last week (may or may not be me...) has a shot at a straight up acceptance? Or are they purely on Waitlist/Reject at this point in the cycle? Based on the "you'll hear back in 6-8 weeks at the earliest" they tell us, I'm looking at last week of April/first week or two of May for a decision. Can't imagine they'll still be accepting at that point.... :/

Anybody have insight they've picked up from previous year threads, calling the office, etc. that they can offer? Thanks in advance!
I've heard from many students that you are never interviewing for a waitlist spot here. they accept people even from the last interview date, and decisions are usually made faster towards the end of the cycle. so don't lose hope yet, and good luck! :)

Reactions: 1 users
I've heard from many students that you are never interviewing for a waitlist spot here. they accept people even from the last interview date, and decisions are usually made faster towards the end of the cycle. so don't lose hope yet, and good luck! :)

Hey thanks so much! I'm optimistic now, even if it's false optimism haha. But the interview went really well for me so hey who knows. Thanks for the newfound hope!!!!!!

Do a lot of interviewing students show up for the informal breakfast with med students?

Do a lot of interviewing students show up for the informal breakfast with med students?

Can't answer your question directly but FWIW I skipped at my interview as I had already talked to a student extensively the day before. Apparently they take an attendance list though... (according to other interviewees on my day) so you may want to consider going either way. Even though they say it's entirely optional, you never know I guess.....

Typically around 1/2 of the day's interviewees show up for it. It doesn't make a difference if you go or not (admissions-wise), but it's a nice opportunity to meet current students/fellow interviewees and ask questions that only students can answer.

Congrats to those accepted and good luck to those waiting to hear back!

The M1s traditionally release a parody music video every year at Follies; figured I'd share this year's video here :)

Reactions: 3 users
Just withdrew my II.

Took a look before hand and there were 10 dates between 3/31-4/21 so it looks like they still have a bunch of invites to send out

interviewed here yesterday, absolutely loved it! very relaxed day. hoping for good news from NYMC!

Thank you @catie_jane, you were right about the availability!

Does anyone know of good hotels nearby?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

If you are looking for a room that's actually somewhat decent, I recently stayed at the Hampton Inn and enjoyed it. Lots of delivery food options (penne vodka sauce from Euro Pizza was delicious) and a diner within walking distance, included breakfast was good (eggs French toast bacon/sausage and all the usual extras) and free coffee/tea 24/7, cab to the interview was $15 flat rate from the discount company they give you in the II email and was maybe a ten minute ride. Nice big bathroom and comfy queen bed with desk and a couch area to spread out as you relax/study the day before, microwave and fridge if you want them, overall very clean. Booked mine through Orbitz with a 10% off code for $120 and was definitely worth the extra few bucks in my opinion

anyone get the email for remaining "seriously interested" on the waitlist just now?

anyone get the email for remaining "seriously interested" on the waitlist just now?
I'm sorry , I don't understand what you mean. Did you get a seriously interested email today or were you put on the waitlist today or both ?

I'm sorry , I don't understand what you mean. Did you get a seriously interested email today or were you put on the waitlist today or both ?

I was waitlisted 3 months ago but received an email today asking for a reply if I was "seriously interested" about remaining on the waitlist. Not sure if everyone who interviewed/got waitlisted earlier in the year got it!

According to MSAR 75 applicants were accepted from the waitlist last year....Good luck everyone!:luck:

Maybe they sent that to the people that were admitted to other schools , since they can see now starting march 15 th

Can any M1's comment on what most other M1's living situation is (On campus vs. Off), and whether those off campus students commute is fairly short?

Maybe they sent that to the people that were admitted to other schools , since they can see now starting march 15 th

How do you know about the March 15th thing? Ive never heard of that.

Silence here still lol - complete since July

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Can any M1's comment on what most other M1's living situation is (On campus vs. Off), and whether those off campus students commute is fairly short?

My student host estimated that 85% live on. Can't comment on that second part but from what I saw it's probably 10 mins for an apt or 5 mins for a home

My student host estimated that 85% live on. Can't comment on that second part but from what I saw it's probably 10 mins for an apt or 5 mins for a home
My host stated the same thing – a very high percentage of M1/M2 students lives on campus. Because rotations during M3 and M4 could be at distant sites, many choose to move off campus if their rotations are farther away. Admissions also stated that it is probably more expensive to live off campus, as Westchester isn't cheap.

My host stated the same thing – a very high percentage of M1/M2 students lives on campus. Because rotations during M3 and M4 could be at distant sites, many choose to move off campus if their rotations are farther away. Admissions also stated that it is probably more expensive to live off campus, as Westchester isn't cheap.

Neither are dorms though, they quoted 800-860 to live in a little apt/suite with 2+ others.... The suite we saw was kinda dated and a bit run down, my college dorms were nicer tbh. I was very turned off by the living spaces. And you can't move the furniture out of the furnished ones so you're stuck on a twin just like freshman year of college....

Loved the school, hated the dorms but n=1 I guess. At the end of the day this is just a minor complaint about a very impressive school overall

Last edited:
Neither are dorms though, they quoted 800-860 to live in an honestly pretty sh***y little apt/suite with 2+ others.... I was very turned off by the living spaces. And you can't move the furniture out of the furnished ones so you're stuck on a twin just like freshman year of college....

Loved the school, hated the dorms but n=1 I guess.
You can probably find a house for less than $900/person in the area. You'll just need to deal with upkeep, commuting, and utilities

You can probably find a house for less than $900/person in the area. You'll just need to deal with upkeep, commuting, and utilities

Yeah it doesn't worry me, I just wish the dorms were newer/nicer/cheaper because the whole community aspect of living so close to everyone and on campus is a pretty cool thing and a big positive in my opinion

So looking at the financial aid email from this week, there is no need-based aid available?