2015-2016 Medical College of Georgia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just received the secondary today, but I'm not even verified. I submitted on July 27th, so do they expect me to have the secondary submitted within 2 weeks and then wait until they receive my primary? Do they screen applicants before sending secondaries?

Members don't see this ad.

People weren't kidding about the residency forms.....

Reactions: 1 user
What do I put for LOR if I didn't have a chairman or committee letter? I just have three individual letters. Or is that a requirement? and how do I fill out the form about GA residency if I know I can't claim it in any way?

thanks for the info. ohhhh my gosh now I have to delete them just to change the grade :arghh:

be advised to fill out this app carefully!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
So the Georgia Residency Affidavit form is not required for submission right?

What do I put for LOR if I didn't have a chairman or committee letter? I just have three individual letters. Or is that a requirement? and how do I fill out the form about GA residency if I know I can't claim it in any way?

Did you find out? Or does anybody know what we put for:
"1. Please list the name of your pre-medical advisor or the Chairman of your pre-medical advisory committee.
Pre-Medical Advisor / Chairman OR Person representing a Letter Packet"
It says not to fill in with N/A... But I have three separate personal recommendations and my school doesn't have a committee or chairman :/

Also, if I went on a few medical trips to another country and the doctor who started it wrote me a letter but was never actually on a trip with me, do you think it would be wise to check the box for "a physician who has observed you in a clinical setting?" He kind of employs the doctors who I worked under and such... What do you all think?

do we need to submit the front and back of our/our parents drivers license for residency?

So the Georgia Residency Affidavit form is not required for submission right?

I don't think so. I am somewhat confused but what I took from it was that it may have to be filled out upon request and that some of these documents are due before matriculation unless you are applying EDP in which case, they are due now. But, that is only my guess and I could very well be wrong.

on one part it says 2015 tax forms, on another it says 2013. Which year tax forms do we use?

on one part it says 2015 tax forms, on another it says 2013. Which year tax forms do we use?

The ones from 2014. Not 2013. 2015s haven't even been filed yet so that would be difficult. Haha.

The amount of information they ask for is ridiculous.

I didn't think a secondary could make me so frustrated. =/

Reactions: 1 users
I was going to say, it's a lot of repeating information from the AMCAS application, yeah, but I'm not complaining because there's no fee.

Members don't see this ad :)
What grade would you put in if a prerequisite is to be taken in upcoming semesters? They won't let me leave it blank and the office is closed. Does anyone already have an answer to this question?

What grade would you put in if a prerequisite is to be taken in upcoming semesters? They won't let me leave it blank and the office is closed. Does anyone already have an answer to this question?
I put N/A

The ones from 2014. Not 2013. 2015s haven't even been filed yet so that would be difficult. Haha.

I am a dependent of my parents and they usually apply for tax extensions, so our 2014 is still in progress and I only had the choice of submitting 2013 forms. Hopefully that's ok? Can't imagine we're the only family that does that... I believe you have until October to get it all done

I am a dependent of my parents and they usually apply for tax extensions, so our 2014 is still in progress and I only had the choice of submitting 2013 forms. Hopefully that's ok? Can't imagine we're the only family that does that... I believe you have until October to get it all done

I'm sure they deal with all kinds of issues regarding this. I would assume 2013s would be okay, but I'd contact MCG first. I submitted the wrong tax documents by mistake and received an email from them pointing me in the direction I needed to go.

They're not out to get you by these seemingly tedious details. They accept primarily instate applicants and so want to verify that the ones they actively pursue actually reside in the state.

So they say they want the front and back of the Permanent Residence Card...does that also include the front and back of your drivers license?

So they say they want the front and back of the Permanent Residence Card...does that also include the front and back of your drivers license?
I do not think so.

If you took Orgo 1 and an Orgo lab, that counts as the requirement. Then either Biochem, Orgo 2, or another chemistry course can count for the advanced requirement.

Secondary submitted! Just waiting for them to upload my LORs from AMCAS.

The amount of information they ask for is ridiculous.

I didn't think a secondary could make me so frustrated. =/
Agreed. Why in the world do they need to know the date my legal guardian was appointed by the court?

Can anyone explain how these questions are different? I was born in Georgia, moved to another state, and then returned. Would I answer the first date I entered Georgia as my birth date? Or would it be better to use the date I returned?

1. Exact date you first entered Georgia:

3. Date you first considered yourself to be a resident of Georgia:

Wow is it just me or is this database really challenging to navigate through? I put in all the prerecs but it won't let me submit, may call them

What do I put for the third question on the additional information section if I haven't been through any of these topics? I have been blessed in life. Would it look bad if I didn't put anything? I don't want to lie.
This is the question:
The Admissions Committee regards the diversity of an entering class as an important factor in serving the educational mission of the school. The Committee strongly encourages you to share unique, personally important, and/or challenging factors in your background, such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, region of residence with respect to its health professional needs, ties to MCG Medical College of Georgia, culture, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or life and/or work experiences. Please discuss how such factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine.

Is anyone having trouble putting their coursework in? My secondary says that my gen bio, gen chem, phys, and engl requirements aren't complete when I put 3 quarters of 5 credit courses in. I put my classes as 5 credit hours a quarter which would be considered a full year at 15 credits. The fact that I can't edit my entries and have to delete and re-add these courses one at a time is a bit frustrating.

Is anyone having trouble putting their coursework in? My secondary says that my gen bio, gen chem, phys, and engl requirements aren't complete when I put 3 quarters of 5 credit courses in. I put my classes as 5 credit hours a quarter which would be considered a full year at 15 credits. The fact that I can't edit my entries and have to delete and re-add these courses one at a time is a bit frustrating.
I'm having the same problem... Can't seem to figure out why it keeps saying it is incomplete even though I filled out a year's worth of work for each requirement

What do I put for the third question on the additional information section if I haven't been through any of these topics? I have been blessed in life. Would it look bad if I didn't put anything? I don't want to lie.
This is the question:
The Admissions Committee regards the diversity of an entering class as an important factor in serving the educational mission of the school. The Committee strongly encourages you to share unique, personally important, and/or challenging factors in your background, such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, region of residence with respect to its health professional needs, ties to MCG Medical College of Georgia, culture, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or life and/or work experiences. Please discuss how such factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine.
I plan on leaving it blank. I figure it would look pretty bad to try really hard to look disadvantaged. Also I think you meant this question, the one you pasted is just a diversity essay: If applicable, indicate any special experiences, unusual factors or other information you have not already addressed that you feel the Admissions Committee should consider when evaluating your application. If you have had any academic problems or unevenness in your academic performance, please address that here as well:

@maybedeadcat @preepgirl101 I'm pretty sure you were referring to the diversity essay right? Every medical school looks to add diversity in some way to their class. I would think hard about leaving that blank.

@maybedeadcat @preepgirl101 I'm pretty sure you were referring to the diversity essay right? Every medical school looks to add diversity in some way to their class. I would think hard about leaving that blank.
Oh yeah, if you actually were referring to the diversity essay, don't do that. I'm sure you're diverse somehow.

I finally figured out what I am going to write about. I didn't have a hard life/childhood so I am going to talk about the Montessori school I attended as a child and how it was multicultural and how it molded me into the person I am today.

Is that okay??

@preepgirl101 I'm sure that'll be fine. You don't have to have a hard life/childhood to be considered diverse.

I finally figured out what I am going to write about. I didn't have a hard life/childhood so I am going to talk about the Montessori school I attended as a child and how it was multicultural and how it molded me into the person I am today.

Is that okay??
If you can really tie it into your current life, I think it's good!

In the special experiences question should I put how I am graduating with my four year degree in three years or is that something they will be able to see on my application via the dates?

@preepgirl101 if you're able to stand out positively in any way, then I'd go for it. Never assume that they know something about you; you should always elaborate when you have a chance.
I'm in a similar situation, graduating in 3.5 years, but I already mentioned it in another area of my application.

When it says black on SSN's on tax forms, does that include my own as well..? Does it matter?

I'm having the same problem... Can't seem to figure out why it keeps saying it is incomplete even though I filled out a year's worth of work for each requirement

Were you able to find out what the problem was? I'm experiencing the exact same thing.

Hmmmm for pre requisites those of you on quarter system:

I had to put 4 quarters of English to get it to accept it. Also the same for inorganic, and physics

Last edited:
On the last essay prompt about preferred location of practice, do you guys think its necessary to write a whole essay? I feel like its sufficient to just tell them what they ask for but the fact that they give us 400 words concerns me, like they want a life story about why you want to practice in said area. Or at least thats the fear..

On the last essay prompt about preferred location of practice, do you guys think its necessary to write a whole essay? I feel like its sufficient to just tell them what they ask for but the fact that they give us 400 words concerns me, like they want a life story about why you want to practice in said area. Or at least thats the fear..

I used about 200. I think the general rule is to say what you need to say in as much or little as you need. Everyone has a different story or reason so they leave room for that. They aren't going to use word count and reject you for not meeting a certain word minimum. That would be insanity.

I used about 200. I think the general rule is to say what you need to say in as much or little as you need. Everyone has a different story or reason so they leave room for that. They aren't going to use word count and reject you for not meeting a certain word minimum. That would be insanity.
Yeah I kind of had that same "they leave room for those who need it" mentality. I'm probably going to just write 3-4 sentences.

Hmmmm for pre requisites those of you on quarter system:

I had to put 4 quarters of English to get it to accept it. Also the same for inorganic, and physics

What about Bio? How did your entries look? I tried playing around with it, but no dice.

For the required courses section, it says only one semester of organic is required. Most organic courses are for 2 semesters, but it says to only put the required number (in this case, for one semester) in the app. I don't want them to think that I didn't take the whole year....what's everyone else doing for that part?

I put Orgo 2/orgo 2 lab for the organic requirement and then biochem for the advanced chemistry. I figured having taken orgo 2 implies I also took orgo 1. At the end of the day it's all on AMCAS/your transcript. But honestly, I get the impression they don't even look at primaries given the amount of info we had to repeat. Which, if true, irks me because I worked so hard on my PS:sorry:

I didn't use all available space for most essays. Brevity is a SKILL and a mark of efficiency! Obviously don't be lazy but if you can convey everything necessary in half the words its definitely preferable over talking in circles or speaking generally.

To each his own. I found it to be quite easy to be concise and still use most of the allotted space.

I didn't use all available space for most essays. Brevity is a SKILL and a mark of efficiency! Obviously don't be lazy but if you can convey everything necessary in half the words its definitely preferable over talking in circles or speaking generally.
To each his own. I found it to be quite easy to be concise and still use most of the allotted space.
If you actually read the instructions page, they encourage you to "limit your answers to each question" in bold (Part IV). Just found this, but I'm assuming that its not a concern to use a certain amount of space.

My LOR packet is marked as received but still has a red exclamation mark next to it. Anyone else have this?