2015-2016 Jefferson Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I submitted mine, but the "display status" tab says I haven't submitted it or paid my fee. Is anyone else having this issue?
Yep, same thing for me.

Members don't see this ad.

We didn't have the internet when I took the SAT! (ok I'm exaggerating, but I think we still had AOL dial up) Is this required? I'm gonna have to dig deep to see if I even have this anywhere. My scores are from the old (1600 max score) format so I don't even know what they would do with it.

I didn't submit my SAT score either...hoping it's not a big deal!

Hey Guys!
I read on their website that they prefer letters from one biology, one chemistry and one physics and one humanities professor. Do you guys know how strict this is? I don't have a letter from a humanities professor..

Members don't see this ad :)
Still haven't received my secondary...

Hey, folks! I didn't realize the threads for the new application cycle had popped up. I'm a current MS3 at Jefferson, so if you guys have any questions feel free to ask here. Also feel free to PM me. Replies might take awhile, especially if your question is more involved, but I'll try to make room in my schedule to field any inquiries. Also feel free to pop on over to my "Ask Me Anything" thread for off-topic and fun questions!

Hi Doctor Strange, Re Jefferson Early Acceptance Program. Application has to be submitted before August 1st. It also said 'all credential' need to be submitted before August 1st. May I know what is included in 'credential'? Does credential mean writing supplemental applications, or reference letters, etc. Please advise. Thanks.

Received secondary yesterday at 1AM, never gotten one that late before lol

Found the secondary in my inbox this am. Whoot! Good luck everyone.

Reactions: 1 user
Update: my secondary portal now says they've received my secondary and my payment, and for Interview Status it now says "Decision Pending"

Hi Doctor Strange, Re Jefferson Early Acceptance Program. Application has to be submitted before August 1st. It also said 'all credential' need to be submitted before August 1st. May I know what is included in 'credential'? Does credential mean writing supplemental applications, or reference letters, etc. Please advise. Thanks.
I am not familiar with the early acceptance program, but I assume that "credentials" refers to all required documents including applications, transcripts, and letters of recommendations.

Members don't see this ad :)
For all those wondering about the SAT/ACT scores, I believe they only ask for them so they have some sort of benchmark when they consider students for 4-4 programs (assuming they have one, which I think they do?), because those students will only have SAT/ACT scores to look at. I doubt they're going to judge you hardcore on your high school standardized test scores.

SAT/ACT scores DO NOT affect your admissions decision. Jefferson asks for them in order to track the correlations between SAT/ACT, MCAT, and USMLE scores. In other words, it's a research interest. Just be honest about your scores.

Update: my secondary portal now says they've received my secondary and my payment, and for Interview Status it now says "Decision Pending"
Same here! My optimistic brain want to think this means that they're about to start reviewing applications, but my rational brain knows it will probably be at least a few weeks.

Got my secondary yesterday 7/10. I'd say submit SAT scores that were good - don't submit if you did badly

Meh, kind bummed that they're looking for one bio LOR AND one physics LOR AND one chemistry LOR. I have a biology letter, an anatomy letter, and a humanities letter. Is there anyone else in the same boat? There is literally no other school I can think of (please correct me if I'm wrong) that wants 3 science letters, and from different departments at that :(

Reactions: 3 users
I also submitted without writing anything for the additional information section and is regretting it now...How screwed am I now
Hey, folks! I didn't realize the threads for the new application cycle had popped up. I'm a current MS3 at Jefferson, so if you guys have any questions feel free to ask here. Also feel free to PM me. Replies might take awhile, especially if your question is more involved, but I'll try to make room in my schedule to field any inquiries. Also feel free to pop on over to my "Ask Me Anything" thread for off-topic and fun questions!

Hey Doctor Strange! Thanks for answering all these questions! I just submitted my secondaries but I didn't write anything for the additional information section and am regretting it now.. Does it look bad if you don't especially since I'm doing a gap year? I'm nervous that I just ruined my chance with this amazing school :/

Anyone else having formatting problems for additional comments? I retyped my entire essay in the box but when I preview the submit page it does not preserve any line breaks or indents in paragraphs.

Anyone else having formatting problems for additional comments? I retyped my entire essay in the box but when I preview the submit page it does not preserve any line breaks or indents in paragraphs.
I think it said that what you see in the preview may not be in the original formatting, so I just ignored it. If I'm wrong....well then my essay has some flow problems.

You have to use a text editor for plain text formatting. And no indentations. Just break line for new paragraph.

Anyone receiving an error message when trying to submit their secondary? I'm receiving the following error message:

"Failed to execute target procedure ORA-01461: can bind a LONG value only for insert into a LONG column
ORA-06512: at "BANINST1.JMCSAPP", line 6057
ORA-06512: at line 33"

Anyone receiving an error message when trying to submit their secondary? I'm receiving the following error message:

"Failed to execute target procedure ORA-01461: can bind a LONG value only for insert into a LONG column
Try typing the essay in? If that's not what's causing it you might have to contact someone.

Try typing the essay in? If that's not what's causing it you might have to contact someone.

I tried typing it in as well but to no avail. I've contacted their admissions office so hopefully they will be able to resolve it ...

Meh, kind bummed that they're looking for one bio LOR AND one physics LOR AND one chemistry LOR. I have a biology letter, an anatomy letter, and a humanities letter. Is there anyone else in the same boat? There is literally no other school I can think of (please correct me if I'm wrong) that wants 3 science letters, and from different departments at that :(
Yep, I don't have any of those except bio, so I called them and asked about it. They told me it's just a preference/suggestion and not at all required, so you're totally fine!

You have to use a text editor for plain text formatting. And no indentations. Just break line for new paragraph.

I can copy and paste from a plain text editor, but I figured typing it directly in the box would be the best option, which didn't preserve line breaks. The only thing I could think of to delineate paragraphs was to place a line of hyphens in between
--------------------------------------------------------
Like such. I emailed so we will see what they say!

Yep, I don't have any of those except bio, so I called them and asked about it. They told me it's just a preference/suggestion and not at all required, so you're totally fine!

Sweet, thanks so much! That's really reassuring :happy:

Reactions: 1 users
On the status page it shows "secondary application received: no" and the same for payment received. Is it like this because it's the weekend or am I the only one?

Mine was that way for a day or two before it changed to "Yes." You're fine!

Yeahh my text in the additional info section is a disgusting block of text. I emailed them about it because, speaking from my own experience reading cover letters etc, I can't imagine anyone would want to read a multi-paragraph essay condensed into one block.

Can anyone post the prompts from the secondary?

So apparently I cant apply here. I need any chance I can get with my borderline MD stats, but they average MCAT scores here apparently which totally kills my chances at any MD school let alone this one.

So apparently I cant apply here. I need any chance I can get with my borderline MD stats, but they average MCAT scores here apparently which totally kills my chances at any MD school let alone this one.
do you have an old test and new test score?

No, 2 old test scores. First one was horrid.
Oh I see, I have an old test score and a new test score. I feel like that would be pretty bad of them to average an old and new test score. Since they cannot be compared as such.

Oh I see, I have an old test score and a new test score. I feel like that would be pretty bad of them to average an old and new test score. Since they cannot be compared as such.

No they still will according to what they told me on the phone. In the case when an applicant has a new and old score "we average the percentiles".

No they still will according to what they told me on the phone. In the case when an applicant has a new and old score "we average the percentiles".
Did you call the admissions department?

Of course.
Well then I feel like thats complete BS on their part, I jumped from the 37th percentile on the old test to the 87th so if they're gonna just throw my app in the trash because someone decided to baselessly average two percentiles together (a 3.5 hour test to a 7 hour test plus extra section) then that is utter BS.

Well then I feel like thats complete BS on their part, I jumped from the 37th percentile on the old test to the 87th so if they're gonna just throw my app in the trash because someone decided to baselessly average two percentiles together (a 3.5 hour test to a 7 hour test plus extra section) then that is utter BS.

I made a giant jump on my tests too.. so I know how you feel.

I made a giant jump on my tests too.. so I know how you feel.
I'm still holding out hope that someone over there will consider my application more thoroughly based on the differences in the test and the significant increase in my score. I already submitted the secondary.

I'm still holding out hope that someone over there will consider my application more thoroughly based on the differences in the test and the significant increase in my score. I already submitted the secondary.

Let me know how it goes!

For those of you facing formatting issues in the 'additional information' section, go ahead and submit. I called admissions and the person I spoke with said that paragraph breaks will appear on their end. @Eb123

Reactions: 1 users
Admissions replied to my email saying "your application will reflect to us as you typed it...this is not a problem", so it looks like the formatting thing is just an issue when I preview it. Good luck everyone!

If anyone else receives the error message I got, their administrative coordinator provided me with the following response:
"The error is due to the character count in the additional information"

I'm impressed by their rapid response! I was expecting to have to wait for several business days before a response was provided, but that's great customer service on their part!
The thing I'm still puzzled by is that Microsoft Word says that my essay has less than 4k characters (including spaces) ...