2015-2016 Jefferson Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Am I the only one that's received a secondary? Wut...

Members don't see this ad.

I got one earlier today, too. It seems like there's no real essay.. just a spot for you to put "additional information" (up to 4000 characters). Am I missing something?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just submitted it about 15 minutes ago. I didn't bother to write anything for the additional prompt.
Maybe I should have but oh well... I'm not too hung up on it.
The secondary app makes me look like the most average applicant! haha! I basically clicked "no" for everything. No relatives or any connections to the college etc. :p

No secondary here... Do they screen? (Concerned about the MCAT averaging, had a lower score prior to my retake)

No secondary here... Do they screen? (Concerned about the MCAT averaging, had a lower score prior to my retake)

MSAR says that they send secondaries to all applicants :)

Reactions: 1 user
@musicalscientists @fortheloveofbob

for people who submitted their secondaries, on the login page what does it say for TERM and APPLICATION PREFERENCE?

mine says "Pre-Fall 2016" and "Not Entered" and I'm a little confused if I messed something up somewhere...

also kind of regretting not writing anything for the optional essay...

I interpreted it as only extra info- like maybe a new job or something, idk, didn't want to add anything, but I'm sure it could've been a "Why Jefferson" prompt. Hope this doesn't screen me out off the bat..

I interpreted it as only extra info- like maybe a new job or something, idk, didn't want to add anything, but I'm sure it could've been a "Why Jefferson" prompt. Hope this doesn't screen me out off the bat..
I haven't gotten the secondary yet, but could it be used to explain gap year plans? Or is it better to do why Jefferson?

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't gotten the secondary yet, but could it be used to explain gap year plans? Or is it better to do why Jefferson?

Damn, gap year plans would've been something super easy to tack on...

Wonder if they're open to update letters in the fall haha

Damn, gap year plans would've been something super easy to tack on...

Wonder if they're open to update letters in the fall haha

Based on the portals I've seen, they have an "Additional Documents" section where you can upload PDFs. I guess you could write one up and post it there if their portal has one? I apologize - I don't know what Jefferson's portal looks like since I haven't gotten a secondary invite.

Based on the portals I've seen, they have an "Additional Documents" section where you can upload PDFs. I guess you could write one up and post it there if their portal has one? I apologize - I don't know what Jefferson's portal looks like since I haven't gotten a secondary invite.

I got mine a few hours ago!
But no it's actually an essay option with a text box.
I basically just said what I'm going to be doing this year (a new research job), since my primary obviously wouldn't have that in it since I just got hired lol

Ah I know what you're talking about- don't think they have one though. Just gonna move on for now...still have a bunch of others to work on!

I got mine a few hours ago!
But no it's actually an essay option with a text box.
I basically just said what I'm going to be doing this year (a new research job), since my primary obviously wouldn't have that in it since I just got hired lol

That's what I was going to write about as well. Thanks!

Ah I know what you're talking about- don't think they have one though. Just gonna move on for now...still have a bunch of others to work on!

Sounds like a plan - best of luck!

Hi everyone! I received my secondary application earlier today. I was wondering if any of you were planning on applying to the Physician Shortage Area Program? I'm currently trying to answer the questions for that part of the app. I was wondering if I already submitted a couple of letters of recs via amcas for the extra letters portion, am I required to send in even more letters? or will they just see that the letters and reference names I put up were already on my application?

thanks in advance and good luck everyone!

Hi everyone! I received my secondary application earlier today. I was wondering if any of you were planning on applying to the Physician Shortage Area Program? I'm currently trying to answer the questions for that part of the app. I was wondering if I already submitted a couple of letters of recs via amcas for the extra letters portion, am I required to send in even more letters? or will they just see that the letters and reference names I put up were already on my application?

thanks in advance and good luck everyone!

I do not believe you are required to send any additional letters. Whatever letters you marked to be sent on AMCAS will be the ones they ultimately incorporate in their system most likely.

Just submitted my secondary as well. Good luck everyone!

Wait so additional information isn't an essay?

The breakdown of my ACT score?! Who actually still has this information?!

The breakdown of my ACT score?! Who actually still has this information?!

I was totally surprised that I still remembered my old collegeboard.org login information from over five years ago! I never wrote it down.

Hahahah I tried logging in with 5 different emails....nothing!!

I ran into this problem yesterday so I called them - after so many years of inactivity they label your account inactive and dissociate your email address from it. Give them a call, some dude/dudette on the IT line will give you a registration number after verifying your identity, you make a "new" account and plug that number in when you get to the page where you request old scores. Had it all worked out in about 5 mins.

And yeah, this school and VCU with the super random SAT/ACT score requirement..... lul wat?

Do you think the Optional essay is fine for Why Jefferson? My stats are above their 90 percentile, but I am from philly and would really like to stay in the area.

Got the secondary last night.... It was pretty interesting to see my phone light up with a Jefferson secondary email at 11:30 PM of all hours..

They want your ACT breakdown for the secondary, but don't want your science score? Just math, english, and reading? That's...strange. Either way, I'm glad this one is fairly quick and easy!

I was totally surprised that I still remembered my old collegeboard.org login information from over five years ago! I never wrote it down.
We didn't have the internet when I took the SAT! (ok I'm exaggerating, but I think we still had AOL dial up) Is this required? I'm gonna have to dig deep to see if I even have this anywhere. My scores are from the old (1600 max score) format so I don't even know what they would do with it.

edit: it let me submit without the SAT scores, and their website says: "No, the Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT) is required. SAT information provides additional information about standardized testing." Hopefully omitting the scores doesn't hurt my application.

Last edited:
We didn't have the internet when I took the SAT! (ok I'm exaggerating, but I think we still had AOL dial up) Is this required? I'm gonna have to dig deep to see if I even have this anywhere. My scores are from the old (1600 max score) format so I don't even know what they would do with it.
I actually skipped it for that reason. I can't find them, they aren't relevant, and they mainly want them for statistics so I can't see how it would harm my application.

Last edited:
I just received my secondary.

"Do not cut and paste"....

Really? I need to re-type my entire essay? Ok

For the SAT/ACT questions, I don't think you actually need your score, I left my field blank after reading the FAQs.

Are SAT scores required for admission?
"No, the Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT) is required. SAT information provides additional information about standardized testing. Please view our Admissions Brochure." <--- Their brochure has no mention of the SAT/ACT scores.

With regards to their additional information section, it can help you, but it can hurt you too if you put something filler there. If you have something to say... whether it be explaining an adverse grade, clarifying your future plans during your application year, or a simple 'Why Jefferson' than go for it.

"Do not cut and paste"....

Really? I need to re-type my entire essay? Ok

I cut and paste, no issue. You'll be fine, for peace of mind, here's their FAQs answer (I agree it's weird they have that warning there):

" You will be able to cut and paste your information into the SKMC supplemental application. The easiest way to accomplish this is by using Microsoft Word, then copy it into the application. Please be aware of our 4,000 character (including spaces) limit on additional information. "

Cheers.

For the SAT/ACT questions, I don't think you actually need your score, I left my field blank after reading the FAQs.

Are SAT scores required for admission?
"No, the Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT) is required. SAT information provides additional information about standardized testing. Please view our Admissions Brochure." <--- Their brochure has no mention of the SAT/ACT scores.

With regards to their additional information section, it can help you, but it can hurt you too if you put something filler there. If you have something to say... whether it be explaining an adverse grade, clarifying your future plans during your application year, or a simple 'Why Jefferson' than go for it.

I cut and paste, no issue. You'll be fine, for peace of mind, here's their FAQs answer (I agree it's weird they have that warning there):

" You will be able to cut and paste your information into the SKMC supplemental application. The easiest way to accomplish this is by using Microsoft Word, then copy it into the application. Please be aware of our 4,000 character (including spaces) limit on additional information. "

Cheers.
Lol. Too late, just retyped it! Submitted!

I was wondering about the cut/paste issue too. I think it becomes a problem if you're right around 4,000 characters and then the difference between Word's character's and Jefferson's portal's characters might screw it up.

I submitted the secondary. Used the optional prompt to write a diversity essay.

I submitted mine, but the "display status" tab says I haven't submitted it or paid my fee. Is anyone else having this issue?