2015-2016 Georgetown University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those attended second look, what did you think? Anything you liked or disliked? Also did they talk about switching to P/F?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hey, didn't attend second look but talked to a first year there who went to my undergrad and he did some digging and confirmed that they will be switching to P/F next year for the class of 2020. Showed me an email from the Dean confirming that they are planning to switch to P/F and thanking the current students for pushing for it and making it happen.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, didn't attend second look but talked to a first year there who went to my undergrad and he did some digging and confirmed that they will be switching to P/F next year for the class of 2020. Showed me an email from the Dean confirming that they are planning to switch to P/F and thanking the current students for pushing for it and making it happen.

I can confirm this - associate dean told me at my interview.

Reactions: 1 users
Funny, my interviewer who said she sits on the committee was adamant they were not going to implement it until class of 2021.

Funny, my interviewer who said she sits on the committee was adamant they were not going to implement it until class of 2021.
The Dean of the medical school said it starts for the class of 2020 at 2nd look day. I think I'll believe him. There will be ranking during 3rd year, according to the q&a.

Reactions: 1 user
The Dean of the medical school said it starts for the class of 2020 at 2nd look day. I think I'll believe him. There will be ranking during 3rd year, according to the q&a.

Of course. It was just funny since I specifically asked and was told otherwise. I also remember Sullivan being unimpressed with P/F in her speech.

FWIW, I am pretty much sure I'll be withdrawing from the WL. My interview experience wasn't pleasant but the curriculum and location was awesome. Good luck to everyone.

Was there a panel specifically to address curriculum/grading changes, or was that just something that came up?

Was there a panel specifically to address curriculum/grading changes, or was that just something that came up?
This topic was addressed in the welcome session with the dean explaining how a student movement assembled evidence and made their case across the school's governing powers, and it passed with flying colors after all the presentations. Sullivan was not in the lecture hall at the time...

What were your thoughts on 2nd look day (if you don't mind me asking)? I didn't want to miss classes or pay for another flight across the country so I didn't make it. Were you as enamored with the school as you were on interview day? Any red flags or changed feelings?

Has anyone gotten info about their financial aid package yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Have they been pulling people off the WL lately? Or we are looking at the beginning of May?

My financial aid package is available via MyAccess so I imagine the same is true for everyone else waiting. Let the decision making begin!

My financial aid package is available via MyAccess so I imagine the same is true for everyone else waiting. Let the decision making begin!

If you don't mind me asking, is Gtown's package comparable to other schools? Thanks!

I turned in my FA application a week before the deadline, so I haven't received any FA info yet. Did they email you with the "MyAccess" info? Or could you explain how GU provides the FA info? Thanks :)

Can someone with a current MSAR account post a picture of the waitlist stats for Georgetown? I had an account last year, but it recently expired.

If you don't mind me asking, is Gtown's package comparable to other schools? Thanks!

You can see the COA the financial aid office will fund for each student here: https://georgetown.app.box.com/s/hbdpvin1ewimsvze14s5

After FAFSA, if you want to be eligible for institutional funding, you complete an additional application shown here by the deadline: https://som.georgetown.edu/prospectivestudents/financialaid/apply. I think those accepted later than the original deadline have 2 weeks to get this additional paperwork completed.

I believe your award package is then a combination of federal and institution funding up to the COA. I've never seen any information about need/merit grants or scholarships. The school has a huge endowment, so I'm sure free $$s are handed out, not just loans. Another school's financial aid package was handled in a similar way, but didn't require the extra form. There is information in the portal about setting up your access to the school's student login to be able to see your award information once it is posted there.

I turned in my FA application a week before the deadline, so I haven't received any FA info yet. Did they email you with the "MyAccess" info? Or could you explain how GU provides the FA info? Thanks :)
Instructions for MyAccess are in your pre-matriculation info. You have to set up your email first and then you can access it.

It was for me. Pretty lame unfortunately so most likely I will be withdrawing. Across four years, it would add $104,000 of extra debt and that doesn't include the increase in cost of living for moving my family to DC. Luckily, I would have been happy with either choice in the end. Maybe yours will be better!

Just withdrew. So excited for where I am going but so sad to be withdrawing from Georgetown; I loved it there! Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
really? Start going through the waitlist for god's sake.

I wonder how many spots opened up :thinking:

Many SMPs were accepted on Friday.

Do SMPSs come first on the waitlist?
not sure if they have a certain number of spots for just SMPs and they work with that when they look at the SMP waitlist or if they're in together with the regular pool...I wouldn't think that they have that much priority though, wouldn't be fair for the regular pool

Does anyone know if we are going to get even a generalized ranking? Like will they split the waitlist into 3rds or anything of the sort?

Apparently the multiple acceptance deadline was moved to tonight because 4/30 was a weekend?

Got the phone call from Dean Mitchell this evening! Unreal!

Reactions: 5 users
Congrats!!! Do you mind sharing when you sent letters and/or anything else helpful for us wait listers? :)

I sent 3 letters, pretty much one per month. I also indicated I would attend if accepted

Also Accepted today! Interviewed in Dec, WL in Jan, sent 1 letter in March.

Could someone link the admitted students Facebook page?

Got the call today as well!!!!!! Sent in 3 letters and a teacher of mine sent in a letter in support of me as well.

Congrats to all those who got in today! I wasn't lucky enough to get a call, starting to feel like my chances are slim to none after today

Last edited:
Congrats to all those who got in today! I wasn't lucky enough to get a call, starting to feel like my chances are slim to none after today

I know right? But it's "only" May 3rd. Don't give up hope yet!

Only May, meaning it's not yet June.

Last edited: