2016-2017 Georgetown University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Per my interview way back when, they accept ~350 for 200 seats, reject about 200 and the rest are waitlist. Since they interview about 1000 people the WL is about 450-500 people. At this point, though, a lot have probably withdrawn their applications because of other acceptances.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
they reject only 1/5 of those interviewed?! :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

another question...those accepted off the waitlist: were you one of the listers that sent in multiple LOIs and additional LORs?

Hey guys, long-time lurker here... Current GU students or people that got off the waitlist, what did you guys include in your updates/LOIs? Any info would be great and much appreciated!! Hasta la vista.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone made any calls or heard through the grapevine about waitlist matters? I've read they don't rank their WL. Does that mean when a spot opens they just grab a random handful and accept out of there?

Reactions: 1 user
Also, holy f*cking tease with that waitlist update email

Edit: According the last years thread, we can expect another similar email on/around April 12th. They received this email 3/16 last year as well. Also, there was little to no WL movement last year until 5/2 (deadline date because 4/30 was on a weekend like this year).

Last edited:
Almost had a heart attack.

So what does this mean exactly? Are waitlisters just still in the same position that we were in before?
They made it sound more hopeless tbh. "The class of 2021 is full". Thanks dude

Reactions: 2 users
Almost had a heart attack.

So what does this mean exactly? Are waitlisters just still in the same position that we were in before?
I don't think this has any effect on the waitlist positions. They are just trying to clean out their waitlists , getting rid of people who are not interested anymore in my opinion.

Yeah only when people drop their acceptances will the waitlist move any .

Which a decent amount of people usually do drop private schools for cheaper state schools or top schools where they may have been accepted. Don't lose hope yet, people. May 1st is right around the corner

I haven't received a decision after my interview yet as it was less than 8-10 weeks ago. Does anyone know what this means for me since "The class of 2021 is full"?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think we should look at this as a positive thing... They are starting to clean out the waitlist and prepping to pull people off the waitlist after currently accepted students withdraw. It's March, I am almost certain every school has accepted their class, but that doesn't mean there won't be waitlist movement in the next couple months as people narrow down multiple acceptances to one. I'll be back, Gtown. *Arnold voice*

So on last year's thread, a few people mention a WL update email on 3/16, but it's not clear whether or not this particular email stated that the class was full. It looks like they sent a few more WL emails from mid-March until late May, and then one final email stating that the class was full in mid-June. I would assume things are pretty slow from now until traffic day, though. I guess we'll see.

Let us know if you volunteer as tribute to find out!

Haha it's looking like I'm gonna have to. Will keep you updated!

Update: I called - they said they do not use a WL ranking system like this anymore. They also told me that acceptance off the waitlist will be notified by both phone and email, if anyone was wondering.

Update: I called - they said they do not use a WL ranking system like this anymore. They also told me that acceptance off the waitlist will be notified by both phone and email, if anyone was wondering.
So it's more of a first come first serve type basis depending on LOI submitted?

So it's more of a first come first serve type basis depending on LOI submitted?

Hmm..can't confirm that but I am assuming it is a combination of that plus looking for WL applicants who are similar to the applicant that dropped.

For sending in additional letters of recommendation this late, are they still submitted via AMCAS?
Sorry for the delay, I called the office and they told me I could have the recommenders email them directly to the office.

Awfully quiet lately. Assuming no one has heard anything since we received that waitlist update email?

Hi! Are there any current students who would be willing to answer a few questions about GT? Thanks!

Also M1 currently at GT. I was a waitlist accept in early May (I want to say like May 2), so don't get discouraged.

Our class is heavy WL accepts. Straight accepts are certainly the minority around here.

Reactions: 11 users
Also M1 currently at GT. I was a waitlist accept in early May (I want to say like May 2), so don't get discouraged.

Our class is heavy WL accepts. Straight accepts are certainly the minority around here.

There is hope after all!

Do you mind sharing how many letters you sent while waiting? Since they say they look at number of letters and the dates they are sent, I'm trying to figure out how to send letters that are different enough from each other even though I'm not doing anything new haha.

Do you mind sharing how many letters you sent while waiting? Since they say they look at number of letters and the dates they are sent, I'm trying to figure out how to send letters that are different enough from each other even though I'm not doing anything new haha.

I hear you !

Holy smokes total tuition and fees for next year are $59,970. I wish I didn't love this school so much

Given that many people were accepted off WL, do you have any idea of when the majority moved off of WL? Just wondering! Thanks!

I hear you !

I was waitlisted in December and sent a total of 3 in. I sent one in January, one in late February, then one in early April. I used pretty strong language that I wanted to be a student at GT in the last one (I.e., I will come here if accepted).

Given that many people were accepted off WL, do you have any idea of when the majority moved off of WL? Just wondering! Thanks!

I wouldn't say the majority is at any time. They do it in groups it seems and I'm not totally sure about it myself. We have a few classmates that were accepted in July (like week-before-classes-began type thing).

Reactions: 3 users

4/30 is the cutoff date for deciding on schools if you have multiple acceptances. Typically heavy WL movement happens late April (if you're lucky) to the beginning to middle of May. Usually, May is the heaviest month for acceptances off the WL at virtually every school that has a WL and accepts off the WL. The further away you get from the first few weeks of May, the less WL movement you will see.

Reactions: 2 users
Fair warning: based on previous threads, we can expect another waitlist update email this week (probably Wednesday). It only means we're that much closer to May 1st!

"April is the cruellest month" - TS Eliot

Edit: I was wrong

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
All:

Just withdrew my acceptance today. I'm OOS. Best of luck, hope this helps with your movement off the waitlist!

Reactions: 5 users
Anyone else get the waitlist update email today?

They're clearing out the waitlist so they can accept us eager beavers on May 2nd!! GW... I'll be back. *Arnold voice*

Got that effing email...made me soooo mad. Ugh. I wonder if anyone is actually being accepted off the waitlist yet, since some people have posted they withdrew their acceptance...unless they accepted wayyy over their class size this year it doesn't make sense that the class is full. I just want to know!

Got that effing email...made me soooo mad. Ugh. I wonder if anyone is actually being accepted off the waitlist yet, since some people have posted they withdrew their acceptance...unless they accepted wayyy over their class size this year it doesn't make sense that the class is full. I just want to know!

They accepted ~350 for 200 seats. They're most likely going to wait until after traffic day and then have a few different days in mid May to early June to fill the lost seats. That's just my prediction though. I honestly have just as much of an idea as the rest of the crowd.

They accepted ~350 for 200 seats. They're most likely going to wait until after traffic day and then have a few different days in mid May to early June to fill the lost seats. That's just my prediction though. I honestly have just as much of an idea as the rest of the crowd.

Update. I just called and was told, there's no ranking on the waitlist and the admissions office cannot say when we will be individually reviewed again...:(