2015-2016 Georgetown University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know if there's a FB group or something for accepted students?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
So.... the final decision wait is making me so anxious that I signed up with SDN.

I had an interview in early Jan. Has anyone who interviewed in Mid Dec. or Jan. hear back yet?

Last edited:
Hello guys,
I am just curious about how MD/PhD admission works for Georgetown. As the admission is not rolling- based, they started reviewing/screening all MD/PhD applications in December, when mine was submitted in early July. I actually had my interview early Feb. But my question is are there already seats reserved for MD/PhD students in the regular MD class? They told us that all our apps with interview evaluations will be screened by the MD committee first before being sent to the MD/PhD committee...so I don't understand how the admission works for us... MD/PhD is not rolling but MD is...but we have to be accepted from the MD first....but mine was completed in July 3rd.....lol it seems like we are at a disadvantage as there are clearly fewer seats available for MD at the moment...

interviewed Jan 5th. Waitlisted Today. Time to write my Letter of Intent!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you waitlisted, did you get information about or are you able to fill out financial aid forms?

For those of you waitlisted, did you get information about or are you able to fill out financial aid forms?

I think you can, it is on their financial aid website.

Just found this:
Do I need an acceptance letter to be able to apply for Federal or Institutional financial assistance?
No, you do not need an acceptance letter to apply for financial assistance. We encourage all applicants to the School of Medicine to apply for financial assistance regardless of acceptance status; this should ensure that you do not miss the institutional scholarship application deadline of April 15, in the event you receive an acceptance after that date.

There is a tab on your portal that addresses financial aid. They told us at our interview to fill out the forms regardless, just in case.

There is a tab on your portal that addresses financial aid. They told us at our interview to fill out the forms regardless, just in case.

Have you already heard back? I also interviewed on the 6th.

I think you can, it is on their financial aid website.

Just found this:
Do I need an acceptance letter to be able to apply for Federal or Institutional financial assistance?
No, you do not need an acceptance letter to apply for financial assistance. We encourage all applicants to the School of Medicine to apply for financial assistance regardless of acceptance status; this should ensure that you do not miss the institutional scholarship application deadline of April 15, in the event you receive an acceptance after that date.

@HIFU @Voler thanks and good luck!

I got accepted a while ago, 34 mcat 3.6 gpa, 3 years post back (2 years MPH). Trying to decide between Umass (my state school) and georgetown. Any insight? My S.O. will probably be in DC, and I got a better feeling at the school / have heard better things about their graduates and residents, but umass and living in worcester would be cheaper

Accepted!! Interviewed 01/06. I am both very excited and now VERY conflicted! Where is my crystal ball??? :-D

Reactions: 4 users
^ congrats!! Interviewed on same day but nothing on portal!

Waitlist peeps,

Are you writing additional updates every month? I am basically still doing what I told them I'd be doing, so I'm not even sure what to say at this point that would constitute an update.

Waitlist peeps,

Are you writing additional updates every month? I am basically still doing what I told them I'd be doing, so I'm not even sure what to say at this point that would constitute an update.
Yes, sending any updates I have and showing a continued interest.

Reactions: 1 users
Waitlist peeps,

I have submitted a couple so far. I write them in effort to highlight a specific interest I have in the school and why I want to go there. The first was general interest, but my second was more specific (regarding Jesuits and Catholic faith).

Reactions: 2 users
Any idea when there will be waitlist movement? I know April/May/June has the most, but last year's thread led to me to believe there was some movement before that.

Any idea when there will be waitlist movement? I know April/May/June has the most, but last year's thread led to me to believe there was some movement before that.
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. The last few threads have shown some people getting off in mid-Feb. I spoke with a current M4 a few days ago and he said they just finished interviewing last week. So it seems they may finish up decisions for the interviews before they go to the waitlist.

Hello guys,
I am just curious about how MD/PhD admission works for Georgetown. As the admission is not rolling- based, they started reviewing/screening all MD/PhD applications in December, when mine was submitted in early July. I actually had my interview early Feb. But my question is are there already seats reserved for MD/PhD students in the regular MD class? They told us that all our apps with interview evaluations will be screened by the MD committee first before being sent to the MD/PhD committee...so I don't understand how the admission works for us... MD/PhD is not rolling but MD is...but we have to be accepted from the MD first....but mine was completed in July 3rd.....lol it seems like we are at a disadvantage as there are clearly fewer seats available for MD at the moment...

I have this question too.

I interviewed in early February (after Winter Storm Jonas derailed my late-Jan interview plans...) and felt like no one on the administrative end could agree on what to expect. Someone from the MD program said expect to hear in 8-10 weeks, then 10 minutes later said mid-March. The MD-PhD people told me that they're having their committee meeting today, 3/3 (unless I don't remember correctly). I didn't hear anything about the cross-talk between the MD and MD/PhD committees, so who knows.

From what Dr. Waldman said (which was that he hadn't looked at my app since he decided to interview me, ostensibly in December), it seems like the two committees act fairly independently from each other since one is rolling and the other is not. I'm assuming that the MD committee trusts that the MD/PhD committee requires the same standards of qualifications as the MD committee, and trusts them not to ask to interview anyone entirely unsuitable. This is all conjecture, of course. After the interviews, I'm assuming that the MD committee either marks someone as acceptable or unacceptable and leaves the MD/PhD committee to do their own thing. I agree that it seems like 5 slots in the incoming class are set aside. My final guess is that if you're waitlisted MD/PhD (or rejected from the MD/PhD program), you can go back to the MD pool, where there may be a disadvantage due to being later in the cycle. I could be totally wrong about all of this.

I would love to hear from a current MD/PhD student (or second-hand through a friend?) about when MD/PhD students should expect to hear? Or anyone's thoughts on any of this? This is the only school I applied to that didn't have the same kind of application cycle for both MD and MD/PhD applicants.

Last edited:
medical school committee meeting tonight, Dr. Waldman gets the results tomorrow and will issue decisions sometime next week. is what he said.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. The last few threads have shown some people getting off in mid-Feb. I spoke with a current M4 a few days ago and he said they just finished interviewing last week. So it seems they may finish up decisions for the interviews before they go to the waitlist.
That's what I gleaned from last year's thread as well. But you would think they would have started pulling from waitlist already if there was movement in February last year... Interview timeline is no different this year.

Got a decision yesterday. Interviewed early Jan. WL

No late January interviews have heard anything right?

There's been talk about switching to a true P/F system and updating the curriculum, but is that change going to be implemented by August? Or is it for later years?

Last edited:
taking forever....
And the change is taking place for this coming class...us... hopefully..

After the interview I talked with Mrs.Sullivan and she said any changes would be for the class of 2021....unless that has now changed...

Does anyone know how many people are waitlisted and the percentage they normally pull from the waitlist to full their class?

Last edited:
After the interview I talked with Mrs.Sullivan and she said any changes would be for the class of 2021....unless that has now changed...

While I loved Ms. Sullivan and her very passionate speech, it seemed that she might not know. It could be the way she phrased things (Do you want a school with P/F? How will you know about AOA?) but me and the people I interviewed with were all surprised when the M2 we toured with told us that the school was switching to a pure P/F system in the fall.

While I loved Ms. Sullivan and her very passionate speech, it seemed that she might not know. It could be the way she phrased things (Do you want a school with P/F? How will you know about AOA?) but me and the people I interviewed with were all surprised when the M2 we toured with told us that the school was switching to a pure P/F system in the fall.

Hmm strange ...well I guess that could be good or bad ...oh well haha

Anxiety levels are through the roof right now :(. Has there been any WL movement since January? It's my #1 school and I'm starting to lose hope thinking that this is just one of those years where the WL movement is abysmal.

Reactions: 1 users