2016-2017 Georgetown University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got pre-II reject email earlier today. Complete mid august.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Just got the WL email. So what the hell do I do about the 5 letters on interest.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Just received the acceptance call from Dean Mitchell! So excited, my first acceptance ever :')) Interviewed on 11/29! Good luck to everyone else!!

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just received the acceptance call from Dean Mitchell! So excited, my first acceptance ever :')) Interviewed on 11/29! Good luck to everyone else!!
Congrats! Has anyone else who interviewed 11/29 or around that time heard back? Just wondering since it sounds like it usually takes 8-10 weeks to hear back.

Anyone know how frequently the admissions committee meets to discuss apps?

Reactions: 1 user
Another day, another rejection. Sigh, time to sign up for the MCAT again.

Members don't see this ad :)
510, but 125 B/B and 126 CARS
I don't think you necessarily need to re-take with that score. I don't know the rest of your application or where you applied, but that does not seem like it should be an issue

510, but 125 B/B and 126 CARS
Let me preface this response with a disclaimer: I have not yet received a decision from Georgetown, and I am not claiming that I know how to get into Med school. I'm just sharing my experiences.

I interviewed here this year with a 508. I'm also a reapplicant, who applied with the same MCAT and GPA as last year. I applied to 10 schools last cycle, and was complete at each school in September/early October. I applied to Georgetown and was rejected by December. I received 1 interview invite to one of my state schools (for the last week in January), which resulted in a rejection. I reapplied this cycle to ~20 schools, did so in late June, and was complete at every school by the first week in August. I paid very close attention to the mission of each school in my essays, picked up a handful of hospital volunteer hours (only about 100 since last cycle) and applied earlier. I have received 8 II's this cycle, 3 of which are from schools that I was rejected from last cycle.

I know everyone on SDN says it's not all about numbers, and you've probably heard that a sickening amount of times, but in many ways, it's true. Statistics tell us that if you retake the MCAT, unless something drastic happened the first time while you were testing to seriously hurt your score, you will likely score the same, or only slightly higher, if you retake the exam. You also risk getting a lower score. Let's say you boost your score by 2 points - the adcom here didn't see the 2-point difference between you and I (me, at a 508, and you, at a 510) as a reason to invite you to the interview instead of me. Your score is not a limiting factor.

If you do indeed find yourself reapplying next cycle, IMHO, and from my experience, I would advise you to take a holistic look at your app, apply early and really tailor your essays to the mission of the school.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Let me preface this response with a disclaimer: I have not yet received a decision from Georgetown, and I am not claiming that I know how to get into Med school. I'm just sharing my experiences.

I interviewed here this year with a 508. I'm also a reapplicant, who applied with the same MCAT and GPA as last year. I applied to 10 schools last cycle, and was complete at each school in September/early October. I received 1 interview invite (for the last week in January), which resulted in a rejection. I reapplied this cycle to ~20 schools, did so in late June, and was complete at every school by the first week in August. I paid very close attention to the mission of each school in my essays, picked up a handful of hospital volunteer hours (only about 100 since last cycle) and applied earlier. I have received 8 II's this cycle, 3 of which are from schools that I was rejected from last cycle.

I know everyone on SDN says it's not all about numbers, and you've probably heard that a sickening amount of times, but in many ways, it's true. Statistics tell us that if you retake the MCAT, unless something drastic happened the first time while you were testing to seriously hurt your score, you will likely score the same, or only slightly higher, if you retake the exam. You also risk getting a lower score. Let's say you boost your score by 2 points - the adcom here didn't see the 2-point difference between you and I (me, at a 508, and you, at a 510) as a reason to invite you to the interview instead of me. Your score is not a limiting factor.

If you do indeed find yourself reapplying next cycle, IMHO, and from my experience, I would advise you to take a holistic look at your app, apply early and really tailor your essays to the mission of the school.

Could not agree more. This is what I was getting at. Just didn't type as much haha

I don't think you necessarily need to re-take with that score. I don't know the rest of your application or where you applied, but that does not seem like it should be an issue

It seems that most schools stats show that B/B is the highest average score of accepted applicants. I really blew it on that section. I was getting 127-129 consistently on practice exams. And I really didn't prepare too hard for the MCAT the first time around. But if I am not feeling like I am doing much better on practice exams leading up to the exam I will probably not take it again.

I interviewed here this year with a 508. I'm also a reapplicant, who applied with the same MCAT and GPA as last year. I applied to 10 schools last cycle, and was complete at each school in September/early October. I applied to Georgetown and was rejected by December. I received 1 interview invite to one of my state schools (for the last week in January), which resulted in a rejection. I reapplied this cycle to ~20 schools, did so in late June, and was complete at every school by the first week in August. I paid very close attention to the mission of each school in my essays, picked up a handful of hospital volunteer hours (only about 100 since last cycle) and applied earlier. I have received 8 II's this cycle, 3 of which are from schools that I was rejected from last cycle.

My essays were really tailored, but definitely I will try to make them better and apply early regardless. The problem for me was applying late. How was your B/B score though?

It seems that most schools stats show that B/B is the highest average score of accepted applicants. I really blew it on that section. I was getting 127-129 consistently on practice exams. And I really didn't prepare too hard for the MCAT the first time around. But if I am not feeling like I am doing much better on practice exams leading up to the exam I will probably not take it again.

What did you use to practice? PM me if you want a suggestion. I did well on that section. One prep company I used I was scoring much higher than with a different prep company until I practiced with the second.

My essays were really tailored, but definitely I will try to make them better and apply early regardless. The problem for me was applying late. How was your B/B score though?

Here's my take on it, and I'll differ from others here slightly.

I think the most important things for my success this cycle were:
1) High MCAT score
2) Applying early (all my secondaries were complete from mid-July to early-August)
3) Getting meaningful clinical experiences and research opportunities to talk about on applications and interviews

While numbers aren't everything, I think my higher MCAT score this cycle got my application looked at more and my other experiences/research got me the interviews. However, my BB score was my lowest (127). I took the Altius MCAT prep course and can't say enough how great it was for me.

That being said, my GPA isn't great (3.6ish) and I didn't go to a top tier undergrad.

I also can't stress enough how important applying early is. I also tailored all my essays as well.

Reactions: 1 users
Could not agree more. This is what I was getting at. Just didn't type as much haha
125. I know that the biggest difference for me, year over year, was the timing. I applied roughly 2 months earlier this cycle without making any other significant changes (other than applying to MORE schools) and received 8x the IIs. I don't know what your application looks like as a whole, but your instincts to apply early next cycle are absolutely correct. I underestimated the power of early submission my first time applying, and it bit me. Whatever it is that you decide to address/augment/improve, whether it be retaking the MCAT or gaining additional clinical exposure or whatever, it must be paired with early submission.

Hello all!

I interviewed at Georgetown this month. I was super (!!) excited going into the day because I thought it would be a great fit for me due to their mission and Jesuit philosophy. I have interviewed at around 10 schools and I am comparing energy as well as what each school and their students chose to highlight for us interviewees. I was surprised that student mental health was not addressed at Georgetown. I asked my tour guides and was told basically that there is a counselor with an office somewhere and that there isn't a stigma attached to seeing them. That's good! But I am wondering if there is more...

So two questions, which are kind of actually the same question:
Can anyone speak to the mental health of the students and the social support offered by the school? How does the school help the students prevent and combat stress, anxiety, and depression?

Additionally, the culture was described as "compassionately competitive". What does this look like in practice? Is Georgetown more competitive than collaborative, but with compassionate people? :wideyed:

Thank you so, so much!

I would appreciate responses from alumni, current students, or people willing to share their impressions from interview day. Thanks again!

Hello all!

I interviewed at Georgetown this month. I was super (!!) excited going into the day because I thought it would be a great fit for me due to their mission and Jesuit philosophy. I have interviewed at around 10 schools and I am comparing energy as well as what each school and their students chose to highlight for us interviewees. I was surprised that student mental health was not addressed at Georgetown. I asked my tour guides and was told basically that there is a counselor with an office somewhere and that there isn't a stigma attached to seeing them. That's good! But I am wondering if there is more...

So two questions, which are kind of actually the same question:
Can anyone speak to the mental health of the students and the social support offered by the school? How does the school help the students prevent and combat stress, anxiety, and depression?

Additionally, the culture was described as "compassionately competitive". What does this look like in practice? Is Georgetown more competitive than collaborative, but with compassionate people? :wideyed:

Thank you so, so much!

I would appreciate responses from alumni, current students, or people willing to share their impressions from interview day. Thanks again!

I also interviewed earlier this month, so I can speak to what I gathered about the culture from my interview day.

As you may know, GT only recently changed from graded pre-clinical years to pass/fail pre-clinical years. After perusing older boards about GT, it is clear that the graded pre-clinical years made the school more stressful than programs that were pass/fail. With P/F (+/- internal rankings, I'm unsure), it seems as though the culture has significantly changed for the better.

My tour guide told us that his class is very collaborative and shares notes with eachother. Each class also gets notes from the previous class for the first two years, which get updated as they get passed down. There is also some sort of peer mentoring program to help first years adjust (I think). All in all, I think the new curriculum will continue to foster collaboration over competition. There will always be "gunners," of course, but I don't think that mentality is pushed on anyone.

As for mental health resources, I would also be interested in hearing more. I do remember hearing about the "Mind, Body, Medicine" program that acts as a weekly de-stressor for students.

WL earlier this month, withdrew today. Good luck to everyone still in the running here :thumbup:

I interviewed mid-late November and haven't heard anything yet. I don't know whether I should call them or not as it has been about 10 weeks. Does anyone know how we are notified (portal, email, snail mail, etc.)?

I interviewed mid-late November and haven't heard anything yet. I don't know whether I should call them or not as it has been about 10 weeks. Does anyone know how we are notified (portal, email, snail mail, etc.)?

If you are accepted you will get a call, waitlist or rejection I believe is an email.

As for mental health resources, I would also be interested in hearing more. I do remember hearing about the "Mind, Body, Medicine" program that acts as a weekly de-stressor for students.

Yes!

I would definitely want to do that. It sounds great. My tour guide said she really regretted not doing it her first year, and that if you don't join your first year then you are not allowed to join your second year. That's really too bad for those who didn't realize the importance of self-care and reflection early enough to get involved. But I am confused why it is a separate elective class instead of open to everyone or integrated into the curriculum.

And yes I think switching to P/F will help make it more collaborative. I just went to an interview yesterday where there was so much focus on student wellness and teamwork. It was such a contrast to my time at Georgetown.

Looks like the most recent decisions were for the group that interviewed the week of 11/28. Those decisions were released on 1/6, which will be 3 weeks ago tomorrow. Based on previous postings, and if I correctly recall what was explained to us on interview day, the committee releases decisions every ~3 weeks, so hopefully we get some movement soon? I interviewed 12/6, the week after those who interviewed 11/28, and haven't heard anything yet.

Just in case you guys were wondering, I called Admissions since at the interview day they told us to call if we don't here anything in 10 weeks, and they said that my application is currently being reviewed by the committee and I should hear back shortly. Hopefully the next batch of decisions are released soon!

Just in case you guys were wondering, I called Admissions since at the interview day they told us to call if we don't here anything in 10 weeks, and they said that my application is currently being reviewed by the committee and I should hear back shortly. Hopefully the next batch of decisions are released soon!
Thanks for the update! What date did you interview?

Anyone who interviewed 12/10 hear anything yet??

Looks like the most recent decisions were for the group that interviewed the week of 11/28. Those decisions were released on 1/6, which will be 3 weeks ago tomorrow. Based on previous postings, and if I correctly recall what was explained to us on interview day, the committee releases decisions every ~3 weeks, so hopefully we get some movement soon? I interviewed 12/6, the week after those who interviewed 11/28, and haven't heard anything yet.

Interesting, so it sounds like they aren't necessarily going in order then

Accepted today via phone call! Interviewed 11/28 Best of luck all!

waitlisted this morning :/ interviewed 11/30

Waitlisted 1/30. Interviewed 12/6. Will be withdrawing app shortly.

any updates for anyone? Ive been WL since October and have sent 3 LOI. anxiously waiting...

Interviewed on 12/7, waitlisted 1/28. Just sent in my LOI w/5 new recommendation letters from doctors who I work for...hopefully it boosts me off the waitlist. Georgetown is my FIRST CHOICE!

Reactions: 2 users
Interviewed on 12/7, waitlisted 1/28. Just sent in my LOI w/5 new recommendation letters from doctors who I work for...hopefully it boosts me off the waitlist. Georgetown is my FIRST CHOICE!
did you send the new LOR thru amcas or email them?

Five NEW letters??? Holy sheet. I gotta step up my game.

People who interviewed...do you submit additional LORs after interviewing or only when waitlisted?

People who interviewed...do you submit additional LORs after interviewing or only when waitlisted?
I don't think it is required to send LORs if you have already submitted strong letters to brgin with . I think sending updates is recommended if you are waitlisted .

When do we see activity from the waitlist??