2015-2016 Albert Einstein College of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I think I'm going to be picking Einstein over Stony, Downstate and a few other privates. I really enjoyed the community feeling of the school along with the pure P/F curriculum. In terms of clinical training and research I think you can't beat the amount of NIH funding Einstein has for research along with the incredible hard training you'll get at Monte/Jacobi which will be a huge boon come residency.

I also feel that Einstein matches incredibly well although Downstate does great too. Although Downstate might have an edge clinically I think Einstein probably gives better outcomes in residency due to the Research opportunities.

Also student housing costs can't be beat and for NYC it's a steal. The only con I have is that the Beonx is a little secluded from Manhattan but there's always opportunities to go check it out on weekends.

I just didn't get a good vibe from Downstate and Stony seemed too unessarily competitive. Overall I really loved Einstein, the opportunities, the student body and the facilities. Didn't fully love the location but I think the pros outweigh that.

Thanks! Really appreciate the input, and I agree with a lot of what you said. Einstein was the one that I really felt at home at when I visited for the interview, got a really good vibe and a good sense of community. There were some other things I had to consider with Downstate (like I got into the MD/MPH program there and Einstein doesnt have an MPH program available), but I've been mostly leaning toward Einstein. I think I'm just waiting for the finaid package before i make my final decision. but yea thanks again, the stuff you said really helped clear up a lot of my thoughts!

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone else on hpwl get an email asking to re confirm their interest?

Edit: Also worth noting, I have no other acceptances. I see in last year's thread people thought that they only sent this to people accepted to other schools. So I'm curious if they sent this to everyone on HPWL or if it means I should be accepted soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
So I have an interview coming up here on Friday. This seems really late... do I have a realistic shot? I'd love to come to this school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the HPWL follow up email! I think good news is on the wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy :) :) :)

Reactions: 3 users
I know you didn't reply to me, but I received the same email and was placed on HPWL in the second round of placements, Feb 25.
Thanks for replying to my message and congratulations on the good news. I believed it is a good sign. I was placed on the HPWL late March and sent a letter of intent in right away. Hopefully I will hear from them soon.

Thanks for replying to my message and congratulations on the good news. I believed it is a good sign. I was placed on the HPWL late March and sent a letter of intent in right away. Hopefully I will hear from them soon.
Since you sent that letter, they wont need to reconfirm your interest so you probably wont get that email. You'll just get an outright acceptance if you are pulled from the list. That's what happened to me last year.
Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
Since you sent that letter, they wont need to reconfirm your interest so you probably wont get that email. You'll just get an outright acceptance if you are pulled from the list. That's what happened to me last year.
Good luck!!

I don't think this is true. When I was placed on HPWL, I sent an email explaining my interest in the school. I got an email confirming they received it. Now 6 weeks later, I still have no acceptances and they sent me an email asking if I am still interested. And I have no other acceptances (though if I did, I would still choose Einstein).

I'm sure they do accept some people without sending this email though.

I don't think this is true. When I was placed on HPWL, I sent an email explaining my interest in the school. I got an email confirming they received it. Now 6 weeks later, I still have no acceptances and they sent me an email asking if I am still interested. And I have no other acceptances (though if I did, I would still choose Einstein).

Intent and interest are two different things, but it is just n=1 so I could definitely be wrong.
Either way, the anxiety won't go away until you see the acceptance itself haha. Good luck!

Intent and interest are two different things, but it is just n=1 so I could definitely be wrong.
Either way, the anxiety won't go away until you see the acceptance itself haha. Good luck!

I guess I was unclear when I used the word "interest." In my email I said that I would 100% attend if I was accepted, and then I went on to explain why I liked the school.

But yes, I am hoping this leads to an acceptance soon. Thanks.

When did you get an email from them asking if you are still interested? I was expecting an email like that based on previous years, but I still haven't got one.

Members don't see this ad :)
When did you get an email from them asking if you are still interested? I was expecting an email like that based on previous years, but I still haven't got one.
I got it yesterday afternoon.

So i know Einstein doesn't have an MD/MBA program. Does the school have any connections to other NYC MBA programs for students interested in doing an MBA?

Any off-campus students lurking? I'm going to have to live off campus for at least the first year. I guess it'll depend on where exactly I live, but how easy is it to access Einstein via public transport? Or, is there enough parking around to drive?

Just got accepted!

For anyone looking at this thread next year, here's another data point for the "are you interested" email being a good sign.

also I'm not really a cowboy.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Just got accepted!

For anyone looking at this thread next year, here's another data point for the "are you interested email" being a good sign.

Congrats! Anxiously waiting for the "are you interested email"...

Just got accepted too!!!!! Extremely happy, will be matriculating :hilarious:

Crossing my fingers for everyone else waiting!

Reactions: 5 users
I interviewed towards the end of March. Am I correct in thinking that I might be waiting to hear back after my interview until as late as June? Looking at last year's thread, I think that's when the latest dates were. :(

Accepted!!!!! I can't believe it happened so fast. I'm so freakin excited guys.

Edit- here's some more info for those curious. I was HPWL'd in late February and received the "still interested" email yesterday, to which I responded with a strong letter of interest.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Congrats to everyone getting accepted today! Were you all on the HPWL first or has anyone been accepted outright after the interview?

I know some people were outright accepted earlier in the cycle, but I was on HPWL for ~6 weeks.

Any off-campus students lurking? I'm going to have to live off campus for at least the first year. I guess it'll depend on where exactly I live, but how easy is it to access Einstein via public transport? Or, is there enough parking around to drive?
You can either take the express bus from the city which basically stops right in front of school, or you can take the 2/5/6 trains which come near Einstein, and take a bus like 10 min ride from train station.

As for parking - you can apply for a parking spot in indoor lot (helpful for winter and when rushed!) and it's 90$ a month. Other people park on the street and generally they can find nearby like on Morris Park or Eastchester

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You can either take the express bus from the city which basically stops right in front of school, or you can take the 2/5/6 trains which come near Einstein, and take a bus like 10 min ride from train station.

As for parking - you can apply for a parking spot in indoor lot (helpful for winter and when rushed!) and it's 90$ a month. Other people park on the street and generally they can find nearby like on Morris Park or Eastchester

I'm wondering about this too! Do people who live off campus end up less-engaged with the community/opportunities on campus? Or is everyone mostly studying all the time? Is living on campus distracting for studying? I am considering commuting for the first year or two and signing up for a studio in the meantime for third year. Is that possible? Advisable? I have pets and worry about them annoying my potential flatmate.

On the topic of pets -- They are technically not allowed in housing, but a lot of people have them anyway, correct?

On the topic of pets -- They are technically not allowed in housing, but a lot of people have them anyway, correct?

"Technically" pets are not allowed. However, pretty much every time you walk outside you will see someone walking their dog.

I'm wondering about this too! Do people who live off campus end up less-engaged with the community/opportunities on campus? Or is everyone mostly studying all the time? Is living on campus distracting for studying? I am considering commuting for the first year or two and signing up for a studio in the meantime for third year. Is that possible? Advisable? I have pets and worry about them annoying my potential flatmate.

Personally, I think living on campus is a huge aspect with regards to social life. You are always around and things are always going on. People are hanging around by other people's apartments, going out to dinner, etc. For those that commute to school, I feel that they miss out a bit on some of those opportunities. People are "studying all the time" and there definitely is a lot of opportunities for social interactions and great times hanging out with friends.

As for being a distraction from studying - I don't think it is. You're living surrounded by lots of other med students, and ultimately everyone has to study. So no, I don't think it's a major distraction. Plus - the library is right across the street!

Also, it's way easier in the first 2 years to live on campus - this way you can just roll out of bed and cross the street for things that you have to go to. Also, when there is something in the morning and then something later in the day - you can just go back to your apartment in between.

As for getting a studio as a 3rd year - only people on the waiting list will get that. You don't automatically get one. Therefore most people sign up for the waiting list right when they move into housing as a first year, and then often get one by end of 2nd year/start of 3rd year. (But FYI many people turn down the studio and prefer to continue living in apartments with their friends!)

I was told the Service and Research scholarship application was being released on a rolling basis, but I haven't received it yet.

Does anyone know if there is a safe place to keep bikes on campus, not up in the apartments?

I was told the Service and Research scholarship application was being released on a rolling basis, but I haven't received it yet.

Does anyone know if there is a safe place to keep bikes on campus, not up in the apartments?
There are bike racks in the garage, I believe

Do any current students have children? If you'd be willing to chat about local school/childcare resources/life in NYC with a young child, please PM me!

Yes got my package on Friday. Not sure if scholarships are separate from the fin aid package?

For those who got off HPWL, did you send a letter of intent? If yes, by nail mail or email? How often?

Your answers are sincerely appreciated!

For those who got off HPWL, did you send a letter of intent? If yes, by nail mail or email? How often?

I'm one of the lucky ones who got off th HPWL last week! I never sent a 100% committal letter of intent, but I sent a strong letter of interest (by email) as a response to my placement on the HPWL and again when I received the "still interested" email.

Edit- I just scanned through your history a bit and saw that you were HPWL'd in late March. I know you're anxious to know where you'll be in August, but I think you're gonna need to give it at least a few more weeks! My guess is that a lot more movement will happen after the April 30th deadline.

I'm one of the lucky ones who got off th HPWL last week! I never sent a 100% committal letter of intent, but I sent a strong letter of interest (by email) as a response to my placement on the HPWL and again when I received the "still interested" email.

Edit- I just scanned through your history a bit and saw that you were HPWL'd in late March. I know you're anxious to know where you'll be in August, but I think you're gonna need to give it at least a few more weeks! My guess is that a lot more movement will happen after the April 30th deadline.
Thank you for your response! I am really anxious now because I will lose my deposit in another school if I get accepted after April 30th. But I need to give it some time since medical school application is a game of patience.

I did by email. Once the morning after my HPWL placement, and again when they asked if I was still interested.

Thank you for your response! I am really anxious now because I will lose my deposit in another school if I get accepted after April 30th. But I need to give it some time since medical school application is a game of patience.
The good/bad news is that a $100 deposit is a drop in the bucket compared to what we're about to pay in tuition! Good luck, I hope they get back to you soon :)

Got the reminder regarding holding multiple acceptances and the deadline to narrow it down. Hopefully that means scholarship info will start going out soon, since finances will be a major factor in my final decision.

does anyone know why the projected budget Financial Aid provides us lists rent/utilities as being $1135 per month? I was under the impression that Einstein housing rent was supposed to be much lower, like around ~$500 if you're sharing a 1 or 2 bedroom. Or is this just an over-estimation in case you live off campus?
http://www.einstein.yu.edu/uploadedFiles/education/md-program/FinancialAid/Student Finance Manual- updated 02-18-2014.pdf

So in the interest of full disclosure I am in now way affiliated with the Financial Aid office so I can't say exactly where they get the numbers from. However, if you look at the einstein rents (1bedroom, 2bedroom, studio) for one person and average them together you would get close to 900. I don't know of anyone who is living in a two bedroom apartment by themselves. Also, they may be adding in the cost of living off campus and therefore it brings the amount higher.

If you want a better picture of the cost, I have included a link to the housing payment portal which lists the rent depending on which apartment (1 bedroom, 2bedroom, studio, penthouse) you live in and how many people you share it with. Hope it helps.

https://secure.touchnet.com/C21817_ustores/web/store_main.jsp?STOREID=3&SINGLESTORE=TRUE

Reactions: 1 users
So in the interest of full disclosure I am in now way affiliated with the Financial Aid office so I can't say exactly where they get the numbers from. However, if you look at the einstein rents (1bedroom, 2bedroom, studio) for one person and average them together you would get close to 900. I don't know of anyone who is living in a two bedroom apartment by themselves. Also, they may be adding in the cost of living off campus and therefore it brings the amount higher.

If you want a better picture of the cost, I have included a link to the housing payment portal which lists the rent depending on which apartment (1 bedroom, 2bedroom, studio, penthouse) you live in and how many people you share it with. Hope it helps.

https://secure.touchnet.com/C21817_ustores/web/store_main.jsp?STOREID=3&SINGLESTORE=TRUE

Great, Thanks for the info!

does anyone know why the projected budget Financial Aid provides us lists rent/utilities as being $1135 per month? I was under the impression that Einstein housing rent was supposed to be much lower, like around ~$500 if you're sharing a 1 or 2 bedroom. Or is this just an over-estimation in case you live off campus?
http://www.einstein.yu.edu/uploadedFiles/education/md-program/FinancialAid/Student Finance Manual- updated 02-18-2014.pdf

Is this for the FA questionnaire? I just put like around $550 (rent/utilities) on the basis of sharing an apt with 2-3 people (2 people would be $500-640 and 3 is like $450).