2015-2016 Albert Einstein College of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone actually know how we're supposed to send in the questionnaire? Print it out and fax it? And I guess the same applies for submitting tax returns?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Does anyone actually know how we're supposed to send in the questionnaire? Print it out and fax it? And I guess the same applies for submitting tax returns?
I emailed PDF versions of both and they were accepted. You can sign with Adobe X or PDF Expert (an iApp) or other things.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I emailed PDF versions of both and they were accepted. You can sign with Adobe X or PDF Expert (an iApp) or other things.
Did they sent you an e-mail verifying that your PDF versions were accepted? I sent tax returns last week but never got an e-mail back

Where is the financial aid questionnaire?
That welcome email has a link to all the new student admissions info and if you click around in there you'll find it. Don't forget to scroll to the bottom of the page, too. Something about how it's laid out made me think there was no more pertinent information below a certain point.

Did they sent you an e-mail verifying that your PDF versions were accepted? I sent tax returns last week but never got an e-mail back
Yes, but I did ask if they were alright, and that may have been why they bothered to respond. They said they would let me know if they needed anything else.

Does anyone know if Einstein is still interviewing? Been complete since August and haven't heard anything...

Also there isn't a portal or anything I can check, right?

Does anyone know if Einstein is still interviewing? Been complete since August and haven't heard anything...
Also there isn't a portal or anything I can check, right?

They interview at least until the end of this month. No portal to check, unfortunately.

Hmm, good to know. Thanks!
I called admissions last week, and I think the woman on the phone said that they interview until 4/20, although I have no idea if all the spots are filled. I'd imagine that they are all filled at this point, but still hoping for some luck. Also been complete since August and no response.

Anyone who interviewed first week of February (or around then) hear anything back yet?

Do people on the HPWL typically send in periodic letters to reaffirm their interest in the school? Or is that overkill? I definitely am dying for an acceptance and replied with my interest immediately when I was put on the HPWL… wondering if I should send another or wait.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do people on the HPWL typically send in periodic letters to reaffirm their interest in the school? Or is that overkill? I definitely am dying for an acceptance and replied with my interest immediately when I was put on the HPWL… wondering if I should send another or wait.

It is definitely a good idea to reaffirm your interest in attending. However, it is also probably a good idea to include some sort of update with your interest letter. That way they know you are interested and you have done some things that make your application better (just to clarify, it may be a good idea to wait a little before sending in letters. For example, if you just responded to their HPWL email yesterday I wouldn't send in an update today. Update them frequently but not every day, its a bit overkill).

Hope it helps

the deadline was yesterday for Financial aid...does anyone know what happens if we turn it in late?

the deadline was yesterday for Financial aid...does anyone know what happens if we turn it in late?
Like your FAFSA? or some secondary application specific for Einstein?

If it's the latter, I don't think it would be too big of a deal, considering there'll probably be more acceptances in the coming months who haven't even seen the form.

Any wild speculation as to when more HPWL movement will occur? Mid April perhaps? I know this is not really a productive exercise but oh well.

Where did you see that? They have sent basically nothing on financial aid...and nothing is posted on their website either.

Where did you see that? They have sent basically nothing on financial aid...and nothing is posted on their website either.

They weren't very good about informing people. I had to find all the information on heir website, and when I still had questions and emailed the financial aid people they weren't very good about answering. :/

Basically you have the FAFSA, then you send them a financial aid questionnaire you can find on their website and your tax returns. I sent both as PDFs to their financial aid office email.

They wanted your and your parents' tax returns by March 14th, per the website. If you haven't been claimed on anyone's taxes for I think 3-4 years? Then you don't need to send your parents'.

They weren't very good about informing people. I had to find all the information on heir website, and when I still had questions and emailed the financial aid people they weren't very good about answering. :/

Basically you have the FAFSA, then you send them a financial aid questionnaire you can find on their website and your tax returns. I sent both as PDFs to their financial aid office email.
We need to submit the CSS profile as well, right?

Their website is not the most helpful...

Rejected post-II this morning after interviewing in mid-February. My interview experience at Einstein was amazing, the people were all genuine, friendly, and approachable. I stayed overnight with a student and learned a lot about the school and loved everything about it. I thought my interview also went very well. I regret not sending another letter of interest after my interview, as at the time I had already previously sent an update letter and didn't want to send too much stuff to them.

I called the admissions office asking if there was any way I could get some advice or information on what went wrong or how to improve for the future, but seems like they don't have that. I'm not sure if it is appropriate to call Dean Kerrigan to ask, I genuinely want to know what I can do better for next time but don't want to bother them if it can't be done!

Also thanks to those people that I messaged asking for advice and information regarding Einstein, I really appreciate it a lot!

Einstein, your match video this year made me cry! I'm so happy for you guys. Good luck on the journeys ahead--especially the ones that took unexpected turns. Good things are ahead!

Would love to hear any reports from folks who were there. :)

Has anyone heard about scholarships yet?

Also was wondering if any current students could talk about the housing. I know our tour gave a brief overview of the apartments but I was hoping to get some current students opinions on the housing quality (for a double room/ 2 bedrooms). Thanks

Has anyone heard about scholarships yet?

Also was wondering if any current students could talk about the housing. I know our tour gave a brief overview of the apartments but I was hoping to get some current students opinions on the housing quality (for a double room/ 2 bedrooms). Thanks

Current MS1 here. So I can't speak to the scholarships but I can definitely give my two cents on housing (in general). So basically there are a couple of options for housing. They offer studio's, one bedroom, two bedrooms, and penthouse. All rent prices mentioned below include utilities (gas, water, electricity, internet). Additionally each apartment building has a laundry room in the basement (they give you a laundry card and you basically add money to it online). A general note about Housing is that it is decent. It's cheap, close to campus and the gym is literally 100 feet away. It has its negatives (ie elevator breaks down, housing staff can be frustrating).

Studios
Pretty spacious however are hard to get as the MSTP's (MD/Phd) get first dibs on them. Secondly people who are married tend to also get them. Rent Total $717.23. Note: I am not sure if you can "share" if so the rent per person is the total/2.

One Bedroom
Again pretty spacious, and usually will have a kitchen area. All kitchens have a fridge and stove. MAJOR POINT: Even though on the website and in brochures it says one bedroom these always have two bedrooms. I think a number of years ago they did renovations and basically made a one bedroom apartment a two bedroom apartment by adding in walls. Essentially one bedroom=two bedroom. Rent Total $1,003.09. AGAIN, these are two bedroom apartments so basically take Rent Total/2= Per person rent.

Two Bedroom
Again pretty spacious and usually have a kitchen area. Some kitchen areas are smaller and others are larger. Also, some apartments have a living room. In the particular apartment I live in the kitchen area is smaller and I don't have a living room. The space that would be the living room is combined with another bedroom. Essentially instead of three bedrooms, living room, and a kitchen space it is a huge bedroom, two smaller bedrooms, small kitchen area. I hope that makes sense. Again kitchen comes with a fridge and stove. Rent Total = $1,288.19. AGAIN these have three bedrooms in them so the Rent per person= Rent Total/3.

Penthouse
So basically this is something to aspire to once you get here. The only way you get the penthouse is if you know the people who are moving out and they are willing to pass it on to you. It is on the 28th floor with a really nice view. Other than that I don't know much else. Rent Total = $1,549.40. Most of the time the penthouse has a few people in it, so again the Rent per person = Rent Total/ # of people living in it.

Wow this is a long post but I hope it helps everyone. The last thing is that sometime in the new few months you should be receiving a packet from Housing detailing all of this information and with it you will get two forms. One form is basically telling them about yourself (ie, are you okay with living with someone who smokes, owns a dog, is messy, neat, etc). The other form is a waitlist form, so if you get put in the two bedroom but you want a studio you will be put on that waitlist. Once you get to the top of that waitlist you get a studio. Also, housing is pretty much mixed, meaning that you may get put in an apartment with a PhD student, MS1, MS2, MS3, and MS4. I personally think this is a great thing, cause if you get paired with an MS2, MS3, MS4 its basically free advice in your house.

This is a pretty long post but I wanted to just cover all the bases, if you have any more specific questions, feel free to shoot me a message.

Reactions: 2 users
Current MS1 here. So I can't speak to the scholarships but I can definitely give my two cents on housing (in general). So basically there are a couple of options for housing. They offer studio's, one bedroom, two bedrooms, and penthouse. All rent prices mentioned below include utilities (gas, water, electricity, internet). Additionally each apartment building has a laundry room in the basement (they give you a laundry card and you basically add money to it online). A general note about Housing is that it is decent. It's cheap, close to campus and the gym is literally 100 feet away. It has its negatives (ie elevator breaks down, housing staff can be frustrating).

Studios
Pretty spacious however are hard to get as the MSTP's (MD/Phd) get first dibs on them. Secondly people who are married tend to also get them. Rent Total $717.23. Note: I am not sure if you can "share" if so the rent per person is the total/2.

One Bedroom
Again pretty spacious, and usually will have a kitchen area. All kitchens have a fridge and stove. MAJOR POINT: Even though on the website and in brochures it says one bedroom these always have two bedrooms. I think a number of years ago they did renovations and basically made a one bedroom apartment a two bedroom apartment by adding in walls. Essentially one bedroom=two bedroom. Rent Total $1,003.09. AGAIN, these are two bedroom apartments so basically take Rent Total/2= Per person rent.

Two Bedroom
Again pretty spacious and usually have a kitchen area. Some kitchen areas are smaller and others are larger. Also, some apartments have a living room. In the particular apartment I live in the kitchen area is smaller and I don't have a living room. The space that would be the living room is combined with another bedroom. Essentially instead of three bedrooms, living room, and a kitchen space it is a huge bedroom, two smaller bedrooms, small kitchen area. I hope that makes sense. Again kitchen comes with a fridge and stove. Rent Total = $1,288.19. AGAIN these have three bedrooms in them so the Rent per person= Rent Total/3.

Penthouse
So basically this is something to aspire to once you get here. The only way you get the penthouse is if you know the people who are moving out and they are willing to pass it on to you. It is on the 28th floor with a really nice view. Other than that I don't know much else. Rent Total = $1,549.40. Most of the time the penthouse has a few people in it, so again the Rent per person = Rent Total/ # of people living in it.

Wow this is a long post but I hope it helps everyone. The last thing is that sometime in the new few months you should be receiving a packet from Housing detailing all of this information and with it you will get two forms. One form is basically telling them about yourself (ie, are you okay with living with someone who smokes, owns a dog, is messy, neat, etc). The other form is a waitlist form, so if you get put in the two bedroom but you want a studio you will be put on that waitlist. Once you get to the top of that waitlist you get a studio. Also, housing is pretty much mixed, meaning that you may get put in an apartment with a PhD student, MS1, MS2, MS3, and MS4. I personally think this is a great thing, cause if you get paired with an MS2, MS3, MS4 its basically free advice in your house.

This is a pretty long post but I wanted to just cover all the bases, if you have any more specific questions, feel free to shoot me a message.

Incredibly helpful post! Thanks so much. Do you know if there is anywhere to see photos of the apartments (post renovation)? It's slightly hard to gauge how much space there is and would love to see a comparison between the one/two/penthouse. Thanks again for the post!

Has there been any HPWL movement of late? Anxiously wishing here!

Reactions: 5 users
Incredibly helpful post! Thanks so much. Do you know if there is anywhere to see photos of the apartments (post renovation)? It's slightly hard to gauge how much space there is and would love to see a comparison between the one/two/penthouse. Thanks again for the post!

So it isn't the most comprehensive set of pictures but it will give you some idea of what apartments look like (I believe these are all post renovation). I have also linked the housing floor plans which will give you some idea of the dimensions of everything.

Link to Housing Gallery
https://www.einstein.yu.edu/campus/housinggallery.html

Link to Housing Floor Plans
https://www.einstein.yu.edu/docs/administration/auxiliary-services/housing/floor-plan.pdf

So it isn't the most comprehensive set of pictures but it will give you some idea of what apartments look like (I believe these are all post renovation). I have also linked the housing floor plans which will give you some idea of the dimensions of everything.

Link to Housing Gallery

https://www.einstein.yu.edu/docs/administration/auxiliary-services/housing/floor-plan.pdf

Perfect. So I'm guessing from the pictures of the 1 bedroom, that the living room area has been converted to a second bedroom like you said and according to the floor plans. Also do M1s ever get the penthouse? Or is it purely just luck/knowing someone moving out as an M2/M3?

Perfect. So I'm guessing from the pictures of the 1 bedroom, that the living room area has been converted to a second bedroom like you said and according to the floor plans. Also do M1s ever get the penthouse? Or is it purely just luck/knowing someone moving out as an M2/M3?

As far as I know it really is about whether you know someone currently living in the penthouse who is moving out. I guess if you were an incoming MS1 who knew an MS4, MS3, or MS2 who was moving out you could get it. I don't know anyone who got the Penthouse as an MS1 however it could've happened just not in my year.

Did anyone else who interviewed here recently just not enjoy the vibe? I found it a bit isolated and depressing and the students didn't appear very happy. Several of them mentioned how they don't get off campus much and the atmosphere didn't seem particularly communal. I'm just curious because on paper I really love the school so I was surprised that I came away with a negative impression.

Reactions: 3 users
Did anyone else who interviewed here recently just not enjoy the vibe? I found it a bit isolated and depressing and the students didn't appear very happy. Several of them mentioned how they don't get off campus much and the atmosphere didn't seem particularly communal. I'm just curious because on paper I really love the school so I was surprised that I came away with a negative impression.
I actually felt similarly. It came as a surprise to me because I'd heard other nice things and liked what I saw on paper. One other person in my interview group kind of alluded to feeling the disconnect, too. I'm honestly a little relieved to hear someone else say this!

I actually felt similarly. It came as a surprise to me because I'd heard other nice things and liked what I saw on paper. One other person in my interview group kind of alluded to feeling the disconnect, too. I'm honestly a little relieved to hear someone else say this!

I can see where you two are coming from. Were there tests coming up or something? I ask because I found that my experience talking to students went differently. They loved it there and enjoyed how comfortable the curriculum was (pass/fail). They didn't feel that extra bit of stress to land honors and felt they had the time to work in the free-clinic, maintain their hobbies, etc. I even talked to a couple who said they generally have a group that heads in to the city on the weekends. That being said, I think Einstein could do a better job selling the school on interview day, but I suppose they're trying to keep it low key and unstructured for a reason... fit is an important concept after all. Einstein seems like a place where you really choose and shape how your experience will be (a lot of resources for those who take advantage of it). This undoubtedly takes some more effort on your part but I imagine its worth it

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

That being said, I think Einstein could do a better job selling the school on interview day
The students I talked to were really enthusiastic about the school (albeit somewhat less enthusiastic about the Bronx). But I definitely agree that the school could have put a lot more effort into "selling" itself to applicants. I really wish that there had been some type of more formal presentation about their programs or a chance to meet the deans or something. I felt sort of like I'd been left to wander on my own. :unsure:

Reactions: 1 users
I can see where you two are coming from. Were there tests coming up or something? I ask because I found that my experience talking to students went differently. They loved it there and enjoyed how comfortable the curriculum was (pass/fail). They didn't feel that extra bit of stress to land honors and felt they had the time to work in the free-clinic, maintain their hobbies, etc. I even talked to a couple who said they generally have a group that heads in to the city on the weekends. That being said, I think Einstein could do a better job selling the school on interview day, but I suppose they're trying to keep it low key and unstructured for a reason... fit is an important concept after all. Einstein seems like a place where you really choose and shape how your experience will be (a lot of resources for those who take advantage of it). This undoubtedly takes some more effort on your part but I imagine its worth it

Thanks for the info regarding your experience. I definitely was a fan of the P/F preclinical grading system as well and there did seem to be a wealth of opportunities available to students in terms of research, etc.

I'm just not sure if I really connected with some of the students that I met, granted it was a very limited group. I guess I just feel like I had better conversations with students at other schools on the interview trail. I'm very hesitant to judge my experience based on not feeling awesome about a few conversations with select students but I just don't have much to go on beyond that because of the nature of the interview day. Leaves me in a tough spot in terms of my final impression.

Speaking of impressions, is the Einstein at home event the only "second look" they offer?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

This is so crazy to me because I felt the opposite of everything you described. Granted, the students had just taken the last exam of the semester, but everyone seemed extremely happy with the school. One of my favorite things about it was how close all the students seem. I hope my experience wasn't an anomaly because that's a huge part of why I want to go there! (If I get off the HPWL)

I know what you mean about the vibe--although personally I found the students and staff to be very warm. But it is definitely the most cramped and dilapidated school I visited.

That said, that's NYC! You pay more, you get less, but the people and opportunities are hard to beat. Idk if you guys are from NYC, but I think it's good to listen to your gut on this. People who fall in love with NYC tend to do so really quickly, despite the grime. If you don't have a good feeling about it, it's REALLY not worth it. Personally, it's my jam, but in a rueful and probably-masochistic way (there's a reason all New Yorkers are in therapy). Einstein is still way high on my list.

ImageUploadedBySDN1458754009.637639.jpg

Yes, exactly! I felt sort of bad thinking this but I couldn't stop comparing it to some of the shinier, newer campuses I'd visited. In the end it's not all about looks, but...
At the same time, if it was good enough for Oliver Sacks, it's good enough for meeee! :)

I guess being a New York person who has lived in the city for years, Einstein had a perfect vibe for me. It definitely felt like it fit, both in terms of atmosphere and the students. Out of all of the schools I interviewed at, it was the one I could see myself being most comfortable at for four years.

So now that I have fallen in love, do I send a letter of interest/update right away or should I wait for them to (hopefully) put me on the HPWL and then send the letter?

Link to Housing Gallery

These "one bedrooms" with two bedrooms in them are confusing to me. The floor plans have dotted lines... but they're real rooms, right? Like they are enclosed with walls and a door?

I liked the students I met at Einstein on my interview day and I got a positive impression of the school itself and what it has to offer, but I really did not find myself liking the location at all. I think it's because I'm from California, but I honestly thought the campus and student housing were in a crowded and sort of rundown area.

I liked the students I met at Einstein on my interview day and I got a positive impression of the school itself and what it has to offer, but I really did not find myself liking the location at all. I think it's because I'm from California, but I honestly thought the campus and student housing were in a crowded and sort of rundown area.

I felt the same - loved the students and school and felt really positive about the experience, but the surrounding area would be a difficult adjustment. Also a Californian here. It was also terrible weather when I was there, which probably didn't help!

I know what you mean about the vibe--although personally I found the students and staff to be very warm. But it is definitely the most cramped and dilapidated school I visited.

Yes, exactly! I felt sort of bad thinking this but I couldn't stop comparing it to some of the shinier, newer campuses I'd visited. In the end it's not all about looks, but...

I think the setting and surrounding area are part of what makes Einstein what it is-- if it weren't in the Bronx (the poorest borough in the city) there wouldn't be such a focus on providing care to urban, underserved populations. It probably wouldn't be the best fit for someone who isn't interested in this type of health care.

There isn't anything wrong with wanting a school that's shiny and new, but to each his/her own.. it just depends on your priorities and what type of environment you'll be comfortable learning in. I personally had a fantastic experience when I interviewed and it pushed Einstein to the top of my list. Now if they'll just love me back..

Reactions: 5 users
I guess being a New York person who has lived in the city for years, Einstein had a perfect vibe for me. It definitely felt like it fit, both in terms of atmosphere and the students. Out of all of the schools I interviewed at, it was the one I could see myself being most comfortable at for four years.

These "one bedrooms" with two bedrooms in them are confusing to me. The floor plans have dotted lines... but they're real rooms, right? Like they are enclosed with walls and a door?

Yes they are real rooms. Basically when it says one bedroom, it really is a two bedroom apartment (complete with walls and a door). I have no idea why they don't change it on their website and floor plans.