2015-2016 Albert Einstein College of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do people usually find roommates on Facebook or something? Or do most people leave it to fate/the housing office?
The people in the facebook group say that most people do random (semi-random?) roommates from the housing office, but you can select your roommate(s) if you want.

Members don't see this ad.

Just received a "are you still interested?!" email from Einstein telling me to reply by Friday
Hopefully getting off the HPWL soon?????????

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
This is the time of day they usually send emails, isn't it? Around 2:45?

Oh my god......... I just want them to give me my initial decision already. Please notice me, Einstein!

Members don't see this ad :)
Got an "are you still interested email" yesterday and replied. I was hoping that it meant an acceptance soon, but instead got a "thank you for your enthusiastic email, hopefully we'll have good news for you." Womp womp.

Reactions: 1 user
Got an "are you still interested email" yesterday and replied. I was hoping that it meant an acceptance soon, but instead got a "thank you for your enthusiastic email, hopefully we'll have good news for you." Womp womp.
ME TOO! what does it mean
i hate this waiting so much

Got the "are you interested email" just now. Withdrawing my spot on the HPWL. Best of luck to everyone still waiting!! :luck:

Reactions: 3 users
I would be so excited just to be told if I'm on the HPWL or not.

Can any current students comment on how useful having a car would be?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hi there,

Current MS1. So I don't have a car, and I find getting around fine. I'll break things down into categories.

Social events
-Don't really need a car, since a lot of social events happen at Einstein (courtyard events, dinners). If you want to get to the city to bar hop you can take the BxM10 express bus which takes you right into Manhattan. Really convenient (literally stops outside housing).

Clinical Sites
Einstein is amazing in that they will get you to where you need to go for clinical sites. This becomes more important during 3rd year and 4th year when you are at the hospital a lot. Basically shuttles run to almost all of the major hospitals that partner with Einstein. Also, Jacobi and Weiler (two hospitals) are literally a 5-10 min walk. Just to be clear, the shuttles are open to 1st and 2nd years as well. If you need to meet a doctor at Montefiore, or just wanna go to the hospital to see it, the shuttles will take you there. They run for the most part every hour. One last thing, in first year you have a course called ICM, which stands for Intro to Clinical Medicine. Basically you interview patients (some people are paired with OB/GYN's, internists, geriatricians, emergency docs, etc) under the supervision of a preceptor. If your clinical site is far away, Einstein will help you get there (whether that be via a Vital car (private car basically) or shuttle, or public transit (they give you the metrocard)).

General Living
So in general a car would be useful if you like to go home over the breaks or weekends (assuming you live close by). Also, it will be helpful to get groceries (if you don't have a car then you have to carry the groceries or buy a "granny cart").

Last point
Many of the people at the school (maybe ~20-30%) have a car and will be more than willing to help you out if you need it. In fact, some people in my year offer to take people with them to Fairway (nicer grocery market). Also, public transit will get you there.

Basically it comes down to whether you want that extra convenience. For me, a car isn't worth it. The extra time I spend waiting for the shuttle I use to study. Hope it helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey another question - how do you like the pharm course? Will they give you a list of drugs and "just say know"?

So for me I like the pharm course because they do try to challenge us in terms of being able to apply concepts about drug metabolism and kinetics (1st half of pharm). However, we do go over classes of medicines, which means we have to learn their names, and what they do and how they do it. I think in class they try to go over a class of medicines, present the different kinds and tell us why you would use one over the other. One has a longer half life etc. There is a drugs to know list to make our studying easier. Unfortunately I don't think there is a better way to teach drugs, just gotta remember them.

Hope it helps

Has there been any HPWL movement since traffic day?? Seems surprising if not...

Just got a wait list email that doesn't mention "high priority". I'm guessing this is the regular wait list. Anyone have any idea of whether I have a realistic shot at an acceptance still?

You guys are getting your initial responses after interviews? :eek: Is today the day they finally email me about something????

Rejected just now after interviewing in late March. Total nightmare. Einstein was my dream. I just wish they hadn't strung me along like this.

Could someone speak to how living in Bronx/NY is? Debating vs. Philly, I might be making a wrong comparison of NY vs. Philly instead of Bronx vs. Philly, but I'm not a big city person and I'm not a big fan of NY

HPWL'er still hanging on! I've sent 2 interest emails since being placed on the HPWL- any tips from those who were recently accepted?

HPWL'er still hanging on! I've sent 2 interest emails since being placed on the HPWL- any tips from those who were recently accepted?
I personally sent a strong letter of interest immediately after being accepted, an update letter 3 weeks later, and then another strong letter of interest to their "are you still interested" email. Since you've already sent LOI's, unfortunately there's nothing you can do now but wait.
That being said, I think most people (including myself) were on the HPWL for at least 6-8 weeks before being accepted. Also, there were multiple waves of HPWL acceptances post traffic day according to last year's thread so there is definitely PLENTY of time for good news - don't give up hope! :)

Just got off the HPWL today! Was on it for a little over a month before getting off. Good luck to everyone!

I personally sent a strong letter of interest immediately after being accepted, an update letter 3 weeks later, and then another strong letter of interest to their "are you still interested" email. Since you've already sent LOI's, unfortunately there's nothing you can do now but wait.
That being said, I think most people (including myself) were on the HPWL for at least 6-8 weeks before being accepted. Also, there were multiple waves of HPWL acceptances post traffic day according to last year's thread so there is definitely PLENTY of time for good news - don't give up hope! :)

I'd agree, though I did also submit another letter of recc via amcas, and informed them via email/phone. I'm not quite sure of how much of an impact that may have made, but hey.

Hello! Do you know when Housing info/preference surveys are usually sent out?

Rejected just now after interviewing in late March. Total nightmare. Einstein was my dream. I just wish they hadn't strung me along like this.
I'm so sorry :( I know how badly you wanted to come here. I know it's hard to see other options but you're going to end up somewhere that will be great for you and it will be like it was meant to be. I thought this was the perfect school for me too and then I got waitlisted (regular waitlisted, not even HPWL).

Everything will work itself out in the end, just give it time. Good luck, I'm rooting for you!

Hey everyone,

Just got accepted off the HPWL yesterday & I have a tiny concern. I know Einstein has their curriculum & academic calendar posted, but what about the ACTUAL class schedule?

How many hours of lecture a day? How many hours of lecture is each class? And how many students prefer not to attend the lectures. I assume this was answered on interview, but that was SOOOOOO long ago lol.

Got the housing application today!

I saw that the application asks if we're taking the biochem course before classes officially start. Is there somewhere else we can sign up for that or read more about it? I'm coming straight from undergrad but I sort of want to do it for the socializing.

I saw that the application asks if we're taking the biochem course before classes officially start. Is there somewhere else we can sign up for that or read more about it? I'm coming straight from undergrad but I sort of want to do it for the socializing.

You should be getting a biochemistry "application/form" soon. I remember getting it in June, around the time I got the housing application. Hope it helps

Worth doing it for the socializing and moving in early. HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend. See prior years threads about it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Question to those accepted: Should I be getting some kind of confirmation when I submit all three forms to accept the offer? I just want to make sure they received all three forms and my spot has been secured!

Question to those accepted: Should I be getting some kind of confirmation when I submit all three forms to accept the offer? I just want to make sure they received all three forms and my spot has been secured!
I got a confirmation email.

"Your admissions acceptance acknowledgement has been received. Thank you!"

Einstein's curriculum is incredibly intricate so the schedule changes on a daily basis.

Usually, you have 2-3 hours of class in the morning followed by an afternoon block (that can be a lab, a ward rotation, a small group session etc.). Labs and ward rotations almost always happen at the same time every week but the rest of the schedule fluctuates a lot.

Each lecture will be between 45 and 90 min, and preceptors will almost always split up longer lectures with a break in the middle. The number of students who attend depends on the class and the lecturer. You can live stream lectures and they're all recorded for you, so many students prefer to watch in bed. Some preceptors will even provide audio recordings. At the beginning of the year, attendance is close to 100%, but it decreases over the first 2 years. A good lecturer will get like 50-75% attendance. A crappy lecturer at 9 am might get 20-30 people. A well placed afternoon lecture before a small-group session can fill the house.

Hope that helps!