2015-2016 Albert Einstein College of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes they are real rooms. Basically when it says one bedroom, it really is a two bedroom apartment (complete with walls and a door). I have no idea why they don't change it on their website and floor plans.

Lol, thank you. I don't get why they persist in calling two-bedroom apartments "one-bedroom apartments." That is nonsense.

Members don't see this ad.

Lol, thank you. I don't get why they persist in calling two-bedroom apartments "one-bedroom apartments." That is nonsense.

I get where the frustration is coming from, but it makes sense once you see how things work here. They are still technically 1-bedroom apartments. It's pretty common in NYC for roommates to "share" a 1 bedroom by converting the living room to another room with an additional wall. With that being said, there is still plenty of room in every apartment. In most rooms you can easily fit in a Queen, up to a King maybe, with plenty of space to spare for a desk, couch, etc. Another reason the naming persists is because many families and couples live in a non-converted 1-bedroom (they don't have wall separating the living room).

Members don't see this ad :)
Dunno if it's justified but I'm ecstatic to be on the hpwl!

Reactions: 2 users
Placed on HPWL earlier this afternoon! Interviewed early Feb.

Last edited:
I just withdrew my acceptance. I expect a few more might do the same before the April 1st deposit deadline. Best of luck!

Deal breaker: how many lanes are there in Einstein's campus pool?

Also placed on HPWL! Interviewed late Feb.

To current students: what is the chance of being accepted out of HPWL?
Are there still scholarships available at this time? I have also been accepted to state schools, and I wonder what is the differences between Einstein and Stony Brook in terms of financial aid. If I don't get any scholarship upon matriculation, do I have the chance to get one later on?

Your help is really appreciated.

^i'd really like to know this too. Haven't heard anything from financial aid yet, myself. Other than that they received all my documents.

Are there still scholarships available at this time? I have also been accepted to state schools, and I wonder what is the differences between Einstein and Stony Brook in terms of financial aid. If I don't get any scholarship upon matriculation, do I have the chance to get one later on?

So in terms of the chances of being accepted off the HPWL, they are pretty good. Not everyone gets off of the HPWL but if you show your interest and send in updates you'll help yourself out a ton.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
can anyone make some recommendations regarding how to spend my free time on interview day?

Were you notified by email? snail mail?
Also interviewed late Feb, so nervous.

Has there been any HPWL movement of late? Anxiously wishing here!
I interviewed 1/20 & I received HPWL on Thursday.
They sent an email notifying me about my status & I had to fill in an online form..
I also emailed the Dean and called the Admissions office. I'll send in a letter of interest soon. Want to hear from another school first..

Does anyone know the chances of getting in off of HPWL?

Does anyone know the chances of getting in off of HPWL?
This has been asked many times, including ~5 posts above yours.

The consensus is chances are pretty good relative to other waitlists.

Reactions: 1 users
I have an interview here coming up. My interview is scheduled in the afternoon but my "arrival time" is in the morning. I was under the impression that Albert Einstein didn't have much of a program for interview day. So is the time between the "arrival time" and my interview supposed to be used independently to see the campus? and in that case, is it a recommended arrival time or what? I just don't get why I'm expected to be there 3+ hours before my interview, if there isn't a program.

I had an interview in the morning and then lunch and a tour in the afternoon. I think there were other people with afternoon interviews and morning tours. Maybe someone else can confirm.

I have an interview here coming up. My interview is scheduled in the afternoon but my "arrival time" is in the morning. I was under the impression that Albert Einstein didn't have much of a program for interview day. So is the time between the "arrival time" and my interview supposed to be used independently to see the campus? and in that case, is it a recommended arrival time or what? I just don't get why I'm expected to be there 3+ hours before my interview, if there isn't a program.
If you have an afternoon interview, you'll have lunch with current students who will then take you on a tour of the campus before your interview. There isn't any formal program or presentation besides that but I actually really enjoyed that Einstein's interview day included a lot of free time to chat with students and ask questions.

Great thanks for the info! I didn't realize there would be a lunch and tour.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Great thanks for the info! I didn't realize there would be a lunch and tour.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Their lunch was pretty good too. Not the standard cold sandwiches and chips/cookies.

Gave up my interview. Hope it goes to one of you guys☺️☺️☺️

@current Einstein students. How well does Einstein's curriculum and exams prepare you for Step1? Did you feel that your course objectives and exams taught towards succeeding on the boards?

Just interviewed here yesterday and fell in love with the place. Coming from a medium sized southern city, I knew I'd have to make some sacrifices as far as living space and cost of living are concerned, but I actually don't! I have fairly the same amount of space right now as the student apartments offer, and at the same price! Pretty psyched. The students that led our tour were really enthusiastic about the school and I fell in love with the area. Really crossing my fingers for this one.

other wait listed peeps: did you submit a research and service scholarship application anyway, or are you waiting to do so if you get accepted?

Has anyone gotten their financial aid package yet? Their website makes it seem like they would start going out this week.

Put on HPWL today, interviewed in mid March. Most likely will withdraw soon. Best of luck to everyone on the WL!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Has anyone submitted the research and service scholarship application at all? No one I talked to at the Einstein at Home had seen it either.

Placed on HPWL! Mix of excited and hopeful but also disappointed? lol
Interviewed March 11th

Other hpwl folks: when you responded back to the waitlist email from the dean, did you get any subsequent email back from them, confirming they received your message/loi? (i didn't.. :s )

Other hpwl folks: when you responded back to the waitlist email from the dean, did you get any subsequent email back from them, confirming they received your message/loi? (i didn't.. :s )

i got an auto confirmation email after submitting that "stay on the wait list" online form, and then received a personal confirmation from someone in the office 1 day after sending a LOI. best of luck!

I got an autoconfirmation after I filled out the online form. But I also responded in an email to Dean Kerrigan and haven't heard anything back.

Yes, but it was a few days later.

interviewed late Feb, and still haven't heard back, but seems like mid March people have.. what does this mean?

@current Einstein students. How well does Einstein's curriculum and exams prepare you for Step1? Did you feel that your course objectives and exams taught towards succeeding on the boards?

Einsteins classes don't specifically "teach for the boards". Medical school shouldn't just be about learning what you need to get a good score on some standardized exam. Einstein offers a very extensive education meant to prepare you for all of medicine - not just what the boards wants you to know. That being said, some professors will look at board prep materials and do their best to incorporate everything that you need to know about certain topics.

Regardless of all the above - Einstein students typically all do above the national average for the boards - our overall average is higher than the national average, and our annual match list is usually quite impressive.

Reactions: 1 users
has anyone gotten their FinAid package yet?

has anyone gotten their FinAid package yet?
Nope not yet, that's what I'm waiting on :/ Btw, I noticed that you also got accepted to both Einstein and Downstate (assuming since you posted this question in both forums). Those are the two school I'm trying to decide between right now, and I was just wondering what sort of things you were considering, and perhaps if you've even made a decision already? I would have PM'ed this question to you but i didnt see the "start a conversation" button when i clicked your name

Nope not yet, that's what I'm waiting on :/ Btw, I noticed that you also got accepted to both Einstein and Downstate (assuming since you posted this question in both forums). Those are the two school I'm trying to decide between right now, and I was just wondering what sort of things you were considering, and perhaps if you've even made a decision already? I would have PM'ed this question to you but i didnt see the "start a conversation" button when i clicked your name

So I think I'm going to be picking Einstein over Stony, Downstate and a few other privates. I really enjoyed the community feeling of the school along with the pure P/F curriculum. In terms of clinical training and research I think you can't beat the amount of NIH funding Einstein has for research along with the incredible hard training you'll get at Monte/Jacobi which will be a huge boon come residency.

I also feel that Einstein matches incredibly well although Downstate does great too. Although Downstate might have an edge clinically I think Einstein probably gives better outcomes in residency due to the Research opportunities.

Also student housing costs can't be beat and for NYC it's a steal. The only con I have is that the Beonx is a little secluded from Manhattan but there's always opportunities to go check it out on weekends.

I just didn't get a good vibe from Downstate and Stony seemed too unessarily competitive. Overall I really loved Einstein, the opportunities, the student body and the facilities. Didn't fully love the location but I think the pros outweigh that.

Reactions: 5 users
Does Einstein give out any scholarships? And does anyone know of any scholarships I can apply to?
Thank you!!

There's a Service and Research Scholarship, I think. Not sure if you apply or are just selected though.

There's a Service and Research Scholarship, I think. Not sure if you apply or are just selected though.

I think people are awarded the scholarship with and without applying, but I would air on the side of filling out the application. If nothing else, it gives you another opportunity to talk about how awesome you are.

I think people are awarded the scholarship with and without applying, but I would air on the side of filling out the application. If nothing else, it gives you another opportunity to talk about how awesome you are.
Does anybody know how to get the application?