2015-2016 Albert Einstein College of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ismet

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Just throwing in a question- not sure if its the right forum.
I read a cpl places on sdn that Albert Einstein has begun to show a preferance to non traditional students- is that true?
Is there a screening process here? Do they discriminate if you are retaking classes after applying like retaking chem 1 after taking chem 2, orgo 1 and 2? (Just to improve grade in chem 1)

Members don't see this ad :)
Really digging this school and I've gotten some input on the area/hospital system from a doc who did residency here.
Here's hoping! :D

I read somewhere you need 40 hours of humanities, social, and behavioral credits. I can't find it again, is this true?

Hey everyone,

So I am pretty much in love with AE, except that I'm feeling a little concerned about its location. Has anyone been to the campus or lived in the vicinity that has some advice on how they like the area? Is it safe/do you feel comfortable walking alone at night? I've talked to people that say its like Johns Hopkins and others that say it's not bad at all...

Hey everyone,

So I am pretty much in love with AE, except that I'm feeling a little concerned about its location. Has anyone been to the campus or lived in the vicinity that has some advice on how they like the area? Is it safe/do you feel comfortable walking alone at night? I've talked to people that say its like Johns Hopkins and others that say it's not bad at all...
Its not bad at all. Its new york, i mean its not my fav lovation but i love new york and its quirkyness in some areas

Dream school, ultimate reach, but definitely applying !

Its not bad at all. Its new york, i mean its not my fav lovation but i love new york and its quirkyness in some areas

Thanks for the reply! My parents, who will have a bit of influence on where I go, were concerned b/c of the "Bronx" name - but I feel like that's not a good way to find out about a place to live :)

taco152, can you give me some info on why you think so?
White people feel threatened becausr places like bed stu harlem and the bronx are kinda protesting gentrification. There is nothing wrong with the area. Carry pepper spray if you are tht afraid. New York City has actually some of the lowest violent crime rates.
And maybe I'm biased because I'm a new yorker but really, east flatbush is MUCH worse than the bronx, be grateful you aren't there.
Also its a jewish university, which means lots of jews, which means lots of nypd protection. I'm not being racist I'm just being honest and practical- its a fact, the safest neighborhoods are jewish ones.

Reactions: 4 users
White people feel threatened becausr places like bed stu harlem and the bronx are kinda protesting gentrification. There is nothing wrong with the area. Carry pepper spray if you are tht afraid. New York City has actually some of the lowest violent crime rates.
And maybe I'm biased because I'm a new yorker but really, east flatbush is MUCH worse than the bronx, be grateful you aren't there.
Also its a jewish university, which means lots of jews, which means lots of nypd protection. I'm not being racist I'm just being honest and practical- its a fact, the safest neighborhoods are jewish ones.
Grow up.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Also: "White people feel threatened..."
Well i live here and its something pretty noticeable. Its a fact and that is why we say a neighborhood has been "gentrified", it means white people now live there. 15 years ago Williamsburg was a dump, today its uber expensive and full of hipsters. Same with parts of Manhattan
I love living in a jewish hood, and all my friends are jewish and everyone knows that the best areas in nyc are jewish areas. I take that as a compliment being jewish not an insult.

Reactions: 2 users
We are getting a lot of complaints on this thread. Please bring the discussion back to centering on the school and application cycle. Discussing best places to live for school is fine, but be sensible about it. Thanks.

Reactions: 1 users
Are there any current students who are non-traditionals and also have kids who would be willing to speak to what it's like to be at AE, living in the Bronx, student housing, etc. If so, I would be so appreciative of some input via private message. thank you!

Reactions: 1 user
I read somewhere you need 40 hours of humanities, social, and behavioral credits. I can't find it again, is this true?
I came to this thread to ask about this. 40 hours seems astronomical for science based majors who aren't double majoring. Anyone know how stringent of a policy this is?

'Suggested Minimum Credit Hours and Experience'

I know it's "suggested" but even to get anywhere near the 40 hour mark without some other double major is basically impossible.

I wonder if they accept more non-science majors than the typical school because of that requirement

I think most of our humanity majors are like 30 credits total so even with a major it wouldn't add up to that..

I think most of our humanity majors are like 30 credits total so even with a major it wouldn't add up to that..
Haha that's exactly my point. I don't get how anyone would meet that suggestion, and how most people would get anywhere near it.

I had called. They said as long as you feel you have reach competency in that area they are only suggestions.

Former student here (about to start residency) - the area around Einstein is very safe. In first year, an NYPD officer gave a presentation and noted that the precinct is one of the safest in all of NYC. The neighborhood, Morris Park, is not Jewish (and just to clarify - Einstein is a secular (non-religious) medical school operated by a Jewish university, but even this will change, as in 3 years Einstein will grant its own degrees a la Mount Sinai and will no longer be the medical school of Yeshiva University).

The neighborhood is actually very Italian, and the fire hydrants are painted red/white/green, lots of pizza places/pastry shops etc.. The neighborhood adjacent to the school to the northwest/next to Jacobi is a solidly middle class neighborhood. If you walk 10 minutes south, I wouldn't feel safe walking alone at night, but the area around campus and going north, east, and west is very safe.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/30/realestate/30livi.html

http://maps.nyc.gov/crime/ (Einstein is in the light yellow Morris Park section of the 49th Precinct in the Bronx) - literally one of the lowest crime areas in all of NYC - even compared to the ritzy Manhattan neighborhoods

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Somewhat of an underdawg applying here (low GPA) but I'm hoping they'll look at my app holistically. I have great research, LoR and PS are strong and EC are probably average. MCAT is average for this school.

This is probably a reach school for me, good GPA, but a 30 MCAT. Somehow, I have >40 credits of humanities if you include my AP credits for spanish (I don't know how because I'm a double major in two sciences). Hopefully that'll help me here.

Any requirements on letters or can it be any?

Former student here (about to start residency) - the area around Einstein is very safe. In first year, an NYPD officer gave a presentation and noted that the precinct is one of the safest in all of NYC. The neighborhood, Morris Park, is not Jewish (and just to clarify - Einstein is a secular (non-religious) medical school operated by a Jewish university, but even this will change, as in 3 years Einstein will grant its own degrees a la Mount Sinai and will no longer be the medical school of Yeshiva University).

The neighborhood is actually very Italian, and the fire hydrants are painted red/white/green, lots of pizza places/pastry shops etc.. The neighborhood adjacent to the school to the northwest/next to Jacobi is a solidly middle class neighborhood. If you walk 10 minutes south, I wouldn't feel safe walking alone at night, but the area around campus and going north, east, and west is very safe.

http://maps.nyc.gov/crime/ (Einstein is in the light yellow Morris Park section of the 49th Precinct in the Bronx) - literally one of the lowest crime areas in all of NYC - even compared to the ritzy Manhattan neighborhoods

Thank you! This was the kind of info I was looking for - both the good and the late-night safety stuff :)

ALSO - thank you for the links!!!!!!!! Will be useful for all med schools in the NYC area.

As to Einstein - does anyone know how much the IIs have changed year-to-year in the previous years?

ALSO - thank you for the links!!!!!!!! Will be useful for all med schools in the NYC area.

As to Einstein - does anyone know how much the IIs have changed year-to-year in the previous years?

I can only personally speak to the 2014-2015 Application Cycle Interviews. I found most of the people that interviewed on the same day as me found that the interviews were very conversational. During interview day there is very little (in actuality, no) formal presentations. Basically you just arrive, check-in, wait for a little while, take a tour (including dorms), have lunch, and ask questions to current med students. It was really refreshing to not have to sit for 2+ hours in one room. Some of my fellow interviewee's already completed their interview by the time I arrived.

From what I have read on the forums here, most previous years have had some variation of the aforementioned. Usually the interview is very calm, and chill. Also, as an option for those students who felt they didn't connect with their interviewer you can request a second interview if it's not too late in the day. Einstein was the only medical school that offered to do that (out of the schools I interviewed at).

called admissions office about LOR from major, they said they weren't that strict on it but might ask why you don't have one. Can anyone comment on this? I think I recall reading somewhere that einstein isn't that flexible with their LOR requirements, but the person on the line seemed to say otherwise.

Secondary received.

Anyone know what the difference between

I have taken off at least a year since college graduation

and

I plan to take off this year, after just having graduated, while I apply to medical school.

?

I graduated May 2014, so yes I have taken 1 year off, but I also am taking another year off but I didn't *just* graduate? confused..

Secondary received.

Anyone know what the difference between

I have taken off at least a year since college graduation

and

I plan to take off this year, after just having graduated, while I apply to medical school.

?

I graduated May 2014, so yes I have taken 1 year off, but I also am taking another year off but I didn't *just* graduate? confused..
You'd fall in the first category!
Hoping to get a secondary soon as well, hee

does anyone know if "I have been subject to a disciplinary action and/or an administrative action, expunged or not, while in school" this refers to actions by the legal system or actions by the school?

Can you post the prompts please?

same as last year

If you check "Yes" for any of the following, you will be provided a text box so that you may provide a short response.
I have taken time off between high school and college No Yes
I have taken time off during my undergraduate years No Yes
I have taken off at least a year since college graduation No Yes
I plan to take off this year, after just having graduated, while I apply to medical school. No Yes
I have taken and received credit for online courses No Yes
I have applied to medical school previously No Yes
I have submitted an AMCAS application to Einstein previously
(Please keep in mind that if you completed two prior applications, you are ineligible for reapplication.) No Yes
I am presently enrolled in the Sue Golding Graduate Division No Yes
I am presently enrolled as an undergraduate student at Yeshiva University No Yes
I had been accepted to medical school previously but chose not to matriculate No Yes
I had been enrolled previously in a medical school No Yes
I have fulfilled all of the competencies No Yes
I will have a Baccalaureate Degree by the time I matriculate in medical school No Yes
I am presently holding a deferred enrollment to a medical/professional school No Yes
I have received a grade of "F" during my college/graduate school years No Yes
I have received a grade of "D" during my college/graduate school years No Yes
I have received a grade of "W" during my college/graduate school years No Yes
I have received a grade of "I" during my college/graduate school years No Yes
I have transferred from one college to another during my undergraduate years No Yes
I have been the recipient of a warning notice for a non-academic issue that did not result in a disciplinary action No Yes
I have been subject to a disciplinary action and/or an administrative action, expunged or not, while in school No Yes
I have disciplinary charges pending No Yes
I have been convicted of a crime No Yes
I expect that there will be criminal charges brought against me which are now pending No Yes
I have been prohibited or suspended from practicing in a professional capacity due to or as a result of alleged misconduct No Yes
Is there anything at all that you would like to share with the Committee on Admissions that might not be apparent from your AMCAS application or from you Secondary Application? No Yes

For the " is there anything else you would like to share" prompts, do most people fill these and if so with what? Like why that school?

anyone have issues with what number to use when entering the confirmation of payment into that box?

Just submitted the secondary, I don't think I met their letter requirements though, since both of my letters were from faculty of the bio department. I didn't feel comfortable enough having a chem professor write me one because they didn't know me as well and the physics department? Forget about it. Oh well, I didn't have to pay the fee, so I guess we'll just see what happens!