2015-2016 Albany Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can I ask what number you used? I am using (518) 262-5521, then choice 4 for admissions.
That's the number I used...weird. I don't recall having to connect via another number. But either way, that's the number I used and it worked! This is the email address they used when responding to me: [email protected]
Sorry I can't be of more help!

Members don't see this ad.

For the 'Describe yourself' I talked about my personality (I got some ideas from my Meyers-Briggs personality description lol) and qualities that I feel would make me a good fit for med school without outright saying how those qualities would make me suitable. For example, I mentioned having a natural tendency to put others' needs before my own (which is true btw; I'm not just pulling what I think would sound good) but I didn't explicitly say that it would help me when treating patients. My take on this is to just be yourself and be genuine about it. Describe yourself as how your friend would describe you. That was my take on it :)

As for the AdCom question, I'm approaching it as a diversity question and will mention one thing that I think would make me well suited for med school.

:O Oooo this is a huge help. Thank you! and yay meyers-briggs! Those things are creepily accurate....i'm isfj!

:O Oooo this is a huge help. Thank you! and yay meyers-briggs! Those things are creepily accurate....i'm isfj!
OMG NO WAY I'm ISFJ too! :O I wish the adcoms would know meyers briggs because I feel like that would greatly help them understand the applicant's personality, especially since ISFJ's are likely to make good nurses/physicians lol

Members don't see this ad :)
OMG NO WAY I'm ISFJ too! :O I wish the adcoms would know meyers briggs because I feel like that would greatly help them understand the applicant's personality, especially since ISFJ's are likely to make good nurses/physicians lol
I'm ISFJ as well!

Reactions: 1 user
Hahaha no wonder we get along~~ gobears :bear:

I'm ISFJ as well!

ISFJ's unite! :X3:

Reactions: 1 users
Still can't figure out what to say for the describe yourself essay. Might end up going crazy over it.

How long after submitting the secondary did it take for you all to get a "yes" next to "Application complete and ready for review by our Admissions Committee" ?

I know most school's secondaries include spaces in the character count, but I just wanted to double check that this is the case for Albany as well. Have you guys been including spaces in the 1000 character count?

I know most school's secondaries include spaces in the character count, but I just wanted to double check that this is the case for Albany as well. Have you guys been including spaces in the 1000 character count?

As far as I remember from submitting my secondary, Albany's does include spaces.

Hey guys, need some quick advice. For this question:
  • Please explain any inconsistencies in your university, graduate, or professional school academic performance and/or MCAT scores. (1,000 character limit)
If I had to drop a class and then retake it later, would this be where I explain that? I usually interpret these questions to mean if there were gaps or delays in my education, but I see that Albany has a separate question regarding if my education has been interrupted for any reason.

If you had to 'drop' a class and retake it later that's not an issue at all. If you had to 'withdraw' however then you should explain why in this essay.

The education interrupted essay is more for if you take a gap year before applying or if you had to leave school for a while (e.g. To take care of a sick family member or something).

So how is "work and activity" question different from the most meaningful essay we put on AAMC?

For this essay question:

Tell us one thing about yourself that would help the Admissions Committee determine if you should be admitted to our program.

I am planning on using a diversity essay. Would it be OK to use a blatant diversity essay here? My essay almost literally ends with "and this is how I would add diversity to AMC."

For this essay question:

Tell us one thing about yourself that would help the Admissions Committee determine if you should be admitted to our program.

I am planning on using a diversity essay. Would it be OK to use a blatant diversity essay here? My essay almost literally ends with "and this is how I would add diversity to AMC."

I wrote a modified diversity essay where I just focused on one characteristic that I could bring to the school. That way it fits the prompt better.

Members don't see this ad :)
my most meaningful essay answers exactly the same question their asking too

my most meaningful essay answers exactly the same question their asking too

so what are you writing for the "work and activity" question. same response as your most meaningful?

I picked an experience that was not my most meaningful on AMCAS.

How close were yall to the 1000 character limit? Normally I don't worry to much about that but for some reason today I am

Also, I'm slightly confused by the letters of recommendation section. If my letters are being sent through AMCAS do I still need to put down who they are coming from and what not? Or is that only if they are being sent directly

I picked an experience that was not my most meaningful on AMCAS.

wouldn't that make them wonder why you didn't pick it as most meaningful?

i interpreted it as a further detailed extension of one of your most meaningful experiences...but i could be wrong!

I understand where you are coming from, but most meaningful experiences don't have to be clinically related. My situation leading me to pursue medicine was not as transformative as my three most meaningful experiences.

i interpreted it as a further detailed extension of one of your most meaningful experiences...but i could be wrong!
The questions were slightly different. Primary asked which were most meaningful to you overall; this asks "which was most meaningful in influencing your desire to pursue medicine."

So, on the primary, I discussed the leadership role that helped me grow most as a person, the scribe job that made me realize I could pull it off and enjoy it, and the research position where I grew as a communicator.

In this secondary, I discussed the first clinical experience I ever had - a volunteer position - and how it helped me to commit to entirely changing career paths and going for med school. Thinking back, is it now one of the most meaningful experiences I've ever had? No. There are many things which were meaningful for me as a person, but not my career path. And, since that volunteer position, I've had better clinical opportunities. However, it was crucial for sending me down the path I am on now, and I felt that was more what they were asking (plus that way I wasn't redundant!)

I think they had an extra little bit in the question. Something along the lines of "most meaningful in shaping your desire to practice medicine" or something. For me that was a chance to highlight one outside my top AMCAS activities.

The questions were slightly different. Primary asked which were most meaningful to you overall; this asks "which was most meaningful in influencing your desire to pursue medicine."

So, on the primary, I discussed the leadership role that helped me grow most as a person, the scribe job that made me realize I could pull it off and enjoy it, and the research position where I grew as a communicator.

In this secondary, I discussed the first clinical experience I ever had - a volunteer position - and how it helped me to commit to entirely changing career paths and going for med school. Thinking back, is it now one of the most meaningful experiences I've ever had? No. There are many things which were meaningful for me as a person, but not my career path. And, since that volunteer position, I've had better clinical opportunities. However, it was crucial for sending me down the path I am on now, and I felt that was more what they were asking (plus that way I wasn't redundant!)
lol beat me to it

How long after you were verified did you guys receive the secondary? I was recently verified and I was just wondering if Albany usually takes a while to send out their secondaries/sends them out in batches? Thanks!

How long after you were verified did you guys receive the secondary? I was recently verified and I was just wondering if Albany usually takes a while to send out their secondaries/sends them out in batches? Thanks!

I was verified on 7/24 and received the secondary yesterday (8/3)

For this essay question:

I used a modified diversity essay for the "describe yourself" question

When did you guys submit? Congrats!! Very awesome

OOS but strong ties to upstate NY
Oh that makes sense. I got my secondary from there at the same time, but oos with no connection. Hopefully my thousands of clinical hours will help with that though! Congrats on the interview :)

II! IS, Lizzy M around mid seventies, complete 7/20.

II....probably not going to go to it

LizzyM 80, submitted 7/20

Last edited:
Guys, how the hell do you schedule your II? When I log in, the system still looks exactly the same as it did before...

I applied to AMC as a safety when I hadn't gotten my MCAT scores back yet, just the percentiles. I just don't think I'd realistically go here anymore.
That's your call, but I don't think I'd have that attitude until I had an acceptance in my hand for sure. Also, it seems a little insensitive to talk about being too good for a
"safety school" when people here are anxiously waiting for II's. But yes, it just might be better for all of us if you just gave that spot to someone who actually does want it.

Reactions: 10 users
Guys, how the hell do you schedule your II? When I log in, the system still looks exactly the same as it did before...

I sent them an email since their number goes to an answering machine. Hopefully we'll find out soon.

I am still not completed and submitted 7/27. Is anyone else having this issue?

The lizzyMs for some of these invites make me want to apply to the Caribbean

Reactions: 9 users
The lizzyMs for some of these invites make me want to apply to the Caribbean

Same! And to think Albany's 90th percentile MCAT is a 36...