2015-2016 Albany Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No secondary yet :( I don't think they screen though. Wonder what the hold up is.
It didn't go out until July 22nd last year.

Members don't see this ad.

If you have previously applied to medical school, but were unsuccessful, how have you spent your time since then?

Describe yourself:

Please explain any inconsistencies in your university, graduate, or professional school academic performance and/or MCAT scores.

Has your college or university, graduate or professional school attendance been interrupted for any reason? If yes, please explain. Also, please explain any gaps in your post-graduate history.

Tell us one thing about yourself that would help the Admissions Committee determine if you should be admitted to our program.

In the "Work and Activities" section on your AMCAS application, you provided the following list of experiences. Please select the experience that you feel has been the most meaningful in influencing your desire to pursue a career in medicine, explain why, and also describe what aspect of that experience best equips you to make an impact in the medical profession.

1000 char limit for each. will do this over the weekend

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you have previously applied to medical school, but were unsuccessful, how have you spent your time since then?

Describe yourself:

Please explain any inconsistencies in your university, graduate, or professional school academic performance and/or MCAT scores.

Has your college or university, graduate or professional school attendance been interrupted for any reason? If yes, please explain. Also, please explain any gaps in your post-graduate history.

Tell us one thing about yourself that would help the Admissions Committee determine if you should be admitted to our program.

In the "Work and Activities" section on your AMCAS application, you provided the following list of experiences. Please select the experience that you feel has been the most meaningful in influencing your desire to pursue a career in medicine, explain why, and also describe what aspect of that experience best equips you to make an impact in the medical profession.

Thank you so much! Same as last year!

Describe yourself:

wait so is the "describe yourself" a prompt itself? or is there just a section called "describe yourself" with 4 prompts within it?

What's with their last question though? Pick one of our activities as most meaningful? That's literally what we did on our AMCAS apps -.- I understand they added a little bit more at the end of the question but honestly, this is a repeat

Reactions: 1 users
What's with their last question though? Pick one of our activities as most meaningful? That's literally what we did on our AMCAS apps -.- I understand they added a little bit more at the end of the question but honestly, this is a repeat

Imagine if someone picked an activity that they didn't list as most meaningful by mistake.

Lol

Haven't received the secondary yet :(

Filling out this secondary and the website crashed. Lost all my essays, and I stupidly didn't copy them into word. Anybody else having this issue? I can't reconnect.

same here, but they just started giving them out today so it should be fine
I'm not worried, just trying to get this one in as soon as possible because life is going to get hectic for me starting next week.

Would it be acceptable to use the "Tell us one thing about yourself that would help the Admissions Committee...." prompt to say "Why Albany"? This is my least favorite of all possible secondary prompts!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Would it be acceptable to use the "Tell us one thing about yourself that would help the Admissions Committee...." prompt to say "Why Albany"? This is my least favorite of all possible secondary prompts!!

I like to use that kind of prompt as more of a "this is why I'm unique and deserve to be at your school" prompt and not just a generic "why X". I definitely think you can incorporate why you want to go there and why you are a good fit, but I personally think that "why X" is a prompt that you can only say so many things different from the next applicant and the point is to stand out when they're reading soo many of the same essays.

You would have to be very careful about how you did "Why Albany?" If you focused too much on the cool aspects of Albany Medical College, you'd be responding to "Tell us one thing about yourself..." with an answer that really didn't say anything about yourself.

Describe yourself:

What if I have no inconsistencies with my academic performance or MCAT score? Do I just leave it blank?

Okay, thanks. I haven''t actually got the secondary yet.
Neither have I. However, any time a secondary has a question that doesn't apply to all applicants, that question is optional.

It didn't go out until July 22nd last year.

They don't screen. I found a chart with all the schools secondary requirements in the past and AMC was one that didn't screen.

That being said, I know a girl with a 3.7 and a 29 that was just accepted two days ago to AMC.

They don't screen. I found a chart with all the schools secondary requirements in the past and AMC was one that didn't screen.

That being said, I know a girl with a 3.7 and a 29 that was just accepted two days ago to AMC.
I think you may have been trying to reply to somebody else.

Anyone using the 'tell us something about you' prompt as a sort of diversity essay?

I used that and a combination of why I love health care kind of prompt.
man how am i gonna do

What score do you think would need explaining as far as MCAT and class grades (I figured anything below a B- and any Ws, but what's the threshold for MCAT)?

What score do you think would need explaining as far as MCAT and class grades (I figured anything below a B- and any Ws, but what's the threshold for MCAT)?
I would say a C+ or a C does not to be explained, provided that you've only gotten one or two (and if you got two, they weren't in the same semester). As far as MCAT threshold, I'm not entirely sure, but I'd say maybe below 28.

Imagine if someone picked an activity that they didn't list as most meaningful by mistake.
I wrote about an activity that was the focus of my personal statement and not one of my "most meaningful". I needed more than three most meaningful :sorry: Hopefully they arent like :bored: :wtf:

Probably below a 30

I just got my secondary as well.

Got a secondary as well...for the question about interruptions/post-graduate gaps, I assume that's where we can write about gap year plans?

Just submitted! I talked about my gap years in the interruptions/post-grad gaps prompt.

Submitted! So glad to be done, this was my very last secondary :claps:

Got this secondary earlier this morning!

hows everyone approaching the describe yourself prompt? ugh so broad..

Haha, seriously.. How am I supposed to describe myself in 1,000 characters? Maybe I'll go with a haiku

yeah seriously, super short but super difficult
I ended up focusing on a 2-3 personality traits that I think describe me well but also tried to show how I have these traits rather than just say that I have them

yeah seriously, super short but super difficult
I ended up focusing on a 2-3 personality traits that I think describe me well but also tried to show how I have these traits rather than just say that I have them

Well said. very important distinction but so hard to do. should i just list adjectives? :p

Also these short prompts leaves very little room to write creatively... i feel like i'm just straight up answering the questions but im afraid the answers just sound boring now.

Well said. very important distinction but so hard to do. should i just list adjectives? :p

Also these short prompts leaves very little room to write creatively... i feel like i'm just straight up answering the questions but im afraid the answers just sound boring now.
lol yeah I would read my answer over and think "hmm, should I throw in a fancy word here or there?"
but honestly, trying to be too creative with such little room may end up making your message a bit convoluted

I think I end up sounding a little choppy but I want to say what I want to say.

that link to the brochure is hands down the best type of marketing from a medical school i have ever seen.

Filling out this secondary and the website crashed. Lost all my essays, and I stupidly didn't copy them into word. Anybody else having this issue? I can't reconnect.
UPLOAD EVERYTHING TO CLOUD. or type it on cloud (google drive, onedrive)
don't let tech glitches let you lose work in this time of stress

that link to the brochure is hands down the best type of marketing from a medical school i have ever seen.
I'm so glad they sent us that... their normal website (especially the admissions page) leaves much to be desired! This definitely helps

Need some friendly advice! I'm contemplating whether or not I should complete this secondary, I just received it yesterday. Although Albany is a fine school, I'll be honest, it would not be my preference to attend. However, you never know if you're going to get into only one school and who knows if this could be the one? Then again, I'm a resident of a state with a great public school that loves their in-state residents, so if I were only given one acceptance, chances are it would more likely be my state institution. Even if I were not accepted into my state school, Albany is still closer towards the bottom of my list in terms of preference. I've applied to 15 other schools, and I definitely did not overshoot (for the most part) based on my stats. Would rather save the $115 as well. Any advice would be appreciated :)