2014-2015 Drexel University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone applying MD/PhD? Very confused... already submitted MD secondary, and it says you need to submit through the graduate program as well (and need another LOR from research). However, when I go to the MD/PhD graduate application site, it says you need three LORs and that they would waive the application fee had I applied through theirs? And then there's some business about sending essays/CV via email? What's the point in applying through their application service if I'm emailing them my essay/CV? As of now, I'm assuming I need to go ahead and create a new application for the graduate program, apply through that and email the essays/cv as instructed, but this seems very odd. Anyone have any experience or advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm also a little shocked at no secondary....any news today folks?

Reactions: 1 user
Perhaps to avoid their site crashing/going super slow? That was a big problem with one of my other secondaries...

AMCAS verified on Jul 15th. No secondary yet!

AMCAS Verified 6/6....no secondary yet...

I was verified 6/4 and received the secondary today morning. So don't worry you guys! They're coming your way! ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary received in the AM submitted right now.. I was at work so could not complete it any sooner.

Last edited:
Perhaps to avoid their site crashing/going super slow? That was a big problem with one of my other secondaries...
*Cough cough, Temple, cough cough*

Reactions: 9 users
+5740

Anyone else whose status says incomplete despite submitting the secondary and fee?

Anyone else whose status says incomplete despite submitting the secondary and fee?
Did you upload a picture? I am having trouble uploading the picture (though it is the correct size and type of file), but it isn't showing up as uploaded.

Yeah, mine's like that too. It probably just takes while for everything to be processed.

Mine changed to complete (I don't know when but I checked today so I'd assume within the past few days)

Mine changed to complete (I don't know when but I checked today so I'd assume within the past few days)
Mine says complete as well. Although, I don't see any notes next to the requirement check boxes. :shrug:

Timmy.PNG

Reactions: 55 users
For those of you who have not received the secondary yet, if you are applying MD/MPH (or one of the other joint programs) there is an essay required--a personal statement on why you want to pursue the second degree. The rest of the secondary is a long list of all your coursework and ECs where you check off all the competencies that each fulfills (chem, bio, comm serv, interpersonal skills...etc).

Reactions: 2 users
Maybe they are screening heavily this year before sending out secondaries? :shrug:

Maybe they are screening heavily this year before sending out secondaries? :shrug:
wished they screened, it would make me feel better about the >$100 donation :mad:

Idk but it's taking forever.

They're teaching us how to wait like we'll have to wait this entire cycle *shakes fists* :caution:

If I was completely evil AND in control of admissions somewhere... I'd send out only a few secondaries at first.

Then wait two weeks.

Then send out the rest in a giant wave with an added "optional" (like those neurotic applicants wouldn't fill out anything even if it is optional) essay (that I wouldn't even read) asking for the applicants to describe a time where they had to exhibit patience.

Then laugh.

Reactions: 18 users
If I was completely evil AND in control of admissions somewhere... I'd send out only a few secondaries at first.

Then wait two weeks.

Then send out the rest in a giant wave with an added "optional" (like those neurotic applicants wouldn't fill out anything even if it is optional) essay (that I wouldn't even read) asking for the applicants to describe a time where they had to exhibit patience.

Then laugh.

This made my night!

Just called Drexel, and they said secondaries will be coming out today. If you don't receive it today it'll be next week!

Reactions: 4 users
Great now I'm going to neurotically check my email EVEN MORE than normal!

Reactions: 1 users
Just called Drexel, and they said secondaries will be coming out today. If you don't receive it today it'll be next week!
And if you don't receive it next week, then the week after.... It's a continuous cycle :p

So basically Drexel hates us all, kthx.

Hey guys,

For this secondary.... it says

Please use the tables below to demonstrate how your activities demonstrate that you meet some or all of these competencies. We have pre-populated all of your activities from your AMCAS application. If you feel that there are other activities that were not included on your AMCAS application that help demonstrate these competencies, you may add them as well. Please be sure to explain how the targeted competecy has been demonstrated.

and there is a box below that says

If you feel that there is additional information about how you satisfied any of these competencies please explain below:.

IS THIS ADDITIONAL INFO JUST FOR ADDITIONAL EXPERIENCES or do they want you to write something for all of your current exps as well?

thanks

Just a question for those with Drexel 2ndary, when were you verified? I'm perplexed b/c I was verified June 23. Thanks!

Don't worry about it. I was sent out in the first wave like you (so, it was impossible to get it to Drexel any sooner) and still haven't gotten one.

Sounds like a few were randomly sent out. They have thousands to deal with and likely needed to test the waters.

Just a question for those with Drexel 2ndary, when were you verified? I'm perplexed b/c I was verified June 23. Thanks!

I think they are randomly sending them out. I was verified on 6/10, and haven't received it yet.