2014-2015 Drexel University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
So happy Drexel doesn't have any essays, don't think I could handle another one...

Reactions: 1 users
So happy Drexel doesn't have any essays, don't think I could handle another one...
Don't jinx it!! I said the same thing about MCW and what do ya know, BAM! I had to write multiple new essays.

Reactions: 10 users
Ok, Drexel, I'm ready for your secondary now.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone want to chance an OOS, 3.5 30 (11/9/10) lots of service and clinical observation (and great EC's)?

Anyone want to chance an OOS, 3.5 30 (11/9/10) lots of service and clinical observation (and great EC's)?

Hey I've seen you around on the threads and I think you have a shot!

How long does it usually take for secondaries to go out? My transcript was verified like 4 days ago

How long does it usually take for secondaries to go out? My transcript was verified like 4 days ago

Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think anyone has received a secondary yet. Even those of us verified in early June

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Guys don't be gullible. ;) The secondary isn't even out yet and he couldn't possibly be applying ed because he's applied to other schools.

i was kidding. wanted to see reactions lol

D0es Drexel have an optional essay or is there no room for an essay at all?

Alright, guess I'll file this one down to another secondary I have to receive. Applying to 40 schools so I have plenty of others to write...

Well, 39. SUNY Downstate refused to take my MCAT. Oh well.

This thread is cracking me up--love everybody's positive attitude about secondaries. I know how you feel--I'm so on the end of my rope but soon we will all be done and it will be so worth it!

I haven't received a secondary either. Guessing it will come early to mid-August.

So somebody said last year's thread was "Please give details about any interruption or time away from your education, which includes the time since graduation. Detail your activities for each year away from school." Was there a character limit for this? Those of us who have taken a few years off since graduation could paraphrase several entries in our AMCAS activities section, but... not really sure how much detail they want.

And by "last year's thread" I mean "last year's secondary prompt." Good God I am tired.

Browsing these threads I see that many people are applying to more than 20 schools. Is this the norm now? Did I miss a hint? The above post about 39 schools is making me rethink my number.

Browsing these threads I see that many people are applying to more than 20 schools. Is this the norm now? Did I miss a hint? The above post about 39 schools is making me rethink my number.
It depends on how strong of an applicant you are and how much funds you have available.

Last edited:
I only applied to 13 if that makes you feel any better!

Alright, guess I'll file this one down to another secondary I have to receive. Applying to 40 schools so I have plenty of others to write...

I had the same issue with SUNY Downstate :( I guess they were one of the few that cared *when* in 2012 you took the exam. Sucks that I got cut off by just a few months.

Why am I still checking SDN school specific threads?!? I promised I wouldn't let myself do this again, but here I am. It's only August and I'm already freaking out that I didn't get any IIs yet / secondaries from X and Y schools (including Drexel, which is why I'm here, but theirs isn't even out!) / etc. Thanks a lot, SDN!

Why am I still checking SDN school specific threads?!? I promised I wouldn't let myself do this again, but here I am.
You and me both. My plan is to stay off once all my secondaries are in, but we'll see how that goes...:rolleyes:

I have a friend who graduated from medical school a few years ago. He was a fairly strong applicant, respected undergrad, 3.7+ GPA, >30MCAT, a number of very good ECs. I believe he applied to 20 or 21 schools and got 1 acceptance

I have a friend who graduated from medical school a few years ago. He was a fairly strong applicant, respected undergrad, 3.7+ GPA, >30MCAT, a number of very good ECs. I believe he applied to 20 or 21 schools and got 1 acceptance
Yep, one of my best friends had a 34/>3.9 last cycle with a ton of research and a fair amount of shadowing and volunteer work... received 19 rejections and was accepted off of one waitlist (his state school). Terrifying.

It depends on how strong of an applicant you are and how much funds you have available.

To apply to both the above posts. I'm on FAP, so I only pay for secondaries with time away from work/life/fun. My panel letter doesn't go out till next thursday. I have yet to submit a single secondary, but I wouldn't be complete anyway. I've done 28 and should be done with the rest by the end of the week when I'll start to submit everything.

Yep, one of my best friends had a 34/>3.9 last cycle with a ton of research and a fair amount of shadowing and volunteer work... received 19 rejections and was accepted off of one waitlist (his state school). Terrifying.

I had a 34/3.5 and a ton of research and clinical work (graduated in 2010 and have worked at an academic center since with a gap for health issues). I honestly don't care where I go, but I'd rather not apply again so I'm casting a really freaking wide net. I might add in a few more schools if I finish all of these in time.

I certainly think that 20-25 is a reasonable number if you're smart about where you apply.

To apply to both the above posts. I'm on FAP, so I only pay for secondaries with time away from work/life/fun. My panel letter doesn't go out till next thursday. I have yet to submit a single secondary, but I wouldn't be complete anyway. I've done 28 and should be done with the rest by the end of the week when I'll start to submit everything.

I had a 34/3.5 and a ton of research and clinical work (graduated in 2010 and have worked at an academic center since with a gap for health issues). I honestly don't care where I go, but I'd rather not apply again so I'm casting a really freaking wide net. I might add in a few more schools if I finish all of these in time.

I certainly think that 20-25 is a reasonable number if you're smart about where you apply.
If you have FAP secondaries are paid for

If you have FAP secondaries are paid for

Yes, which is why I'm applying to 40 schools and my only 'payment' is time. I might add a few more schools depending on how stuff works out money-wise. I think it's a stupid idea, but whatever. I've done dumber things in life.

SUNY Downstate MCAT reject! Right on! :p I am on the same boat ... lol

@othatpremedlife, I only applied to 11. People freak out when I tell them, esp. since my stats are good but not great: 30 MCAT (09/10/11) and 3.66 GPA. But I felt pretty confident about my state school and would be perfectly happy going there so I stopped at 11. That was actually my pre-med advisor's advice. I am putting a lot of trust in her and my state school hahah

Reactions: 4 users
@othatpremedlife, I only applied to 11. People freak out when I tell them, esp. since my stats are good but not great: 30 MCAT (09/10/11) and 3.66 GPA. But I felt pretty confident about my state school and would be perfectly happy going there so I stopped at 11. That was actually my pre-med advisor's advice. I am putting a lot of trust in her and my state school hahah

im applying to 15 MD programs but luckily I have 6 state programs so im hoping for some love!

im applying to 15 MD programs but luckily I have 6 state programs so im hoping for some love!
I'm in the same boat...I applied to 16, but UNC prefers instate and I don't meet the GPA/MCAT, so that might not work, and now I'm probably going to cut another school that is out of state because of expenses. Luckily I'm a TX res, so I'm putting trust in my state and in the application process in general. Hopefully I get in somewhere!

Alright, come on, Drexel. I have 24 out of 25 secondaries done. I want to say I'm completely done with secondaries. Chop chop!

Reactions: 14 users
Dude I know! I was thinking the exact same thing. At least they don't really have an essay, or at least they didn't last year... *knock knock*

Although Drexel is late, it seems from last years thread that they quickly give out II :hardy:, so hopefully they will have a quick turn around :bow:

Just received and submitted. Once you hit finalize and submit on the secondary and send in all other documents, that's it right? There's no magic button to finalize everything again? I didn't receive an email or anything after I sent everything in so I just wanted to confirm.

Just received and submitted. Once you hit finalize and submit on the secondary and send in all other documents, that's it right? There's no magic button to finalize everything again? I didn't receive an email or anything after I sent everything in so I just wanted to confirm.
Received?? Drexel's secondary has been sent out?

did the secondary still have no essay?