2012-2013 University of California - Los Angeles (Geffen) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got secondary invite but can't access the supplement section on my applicant portal yet??

Members don't see this ad.

Also, are you able to access it? When I sign in to the portal, everything is still blank...

Members don't see this ad :)
Woohoo! UCLA secondary invite! :) Wonder if it's worth filling out though since my stats are low (3.4 GPA/31 MCAT).

Secondary invite! But can't access the application. When I try to check my status, everything still says it's blank.

Would you mind posting the prompts? Thanks!!!!!

All sections have 800 character limits (including spaces):

Describe involvement in the ONE most important non-academic activity that has been important in your life?

What has been the ONE most unique leadership, entrepreneurial or creative activity in which you participated?

What has been the ONE most important volunteer work you have done and why was it meaningful?

Has there been a gap greater than one year between achieving your baccalaureate degree, and/or
consecutive degrees before applying to medical school? (yes or no). If yes, please explain.

What is the ONE most important honor you have received? Why do you view this as important?

What has been your most scholarly project (thesis, research or field of study in basic or clinical science or in the humanities)? Describe one and give number of hours, dates and advisor.

Describe a problem in your life. Include how you dealt with it and how it influenced your growth.

List major paid work experience during (or since) college. Give dates, description, approximate hours worked (list the most recent first).

If there is any hardship to which you would like the committee to give special attention in evaluating your application, then check the box labeled 'Hardship' and briefly explain why you are indicating a hardship. Include any geographic, language, economic, academic, physical, or mental factors.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years? What experiences have led you to this goal?

I just tried pasting one of my essays and the character count is under 800 characters, but when I try to save, I get a message saying I've exceeded the character limit. Anyone else having this problem?

Well then...

This secondary may take a while. I think the low character count is deceiving. Some of these answers will probably be real dense.

Does anyone have a general idea of UCLA's -Applicants/-LOR/-II breakdown?

EDIT: Im dumb, should've looked online on their site. Here's the information if anyone else was curious:

"Last year 6,771 applications were received. The Admissions Committee requested supplemental information from approximately 3,000 applicants and interviewed close to 700 students."

http://www.medstudent.ucla.edu/offices/admiss/admreq.cfm

Last edited:
And I thought I would have a secondary free weekend ><

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank god for the 800 character limits. Imagine if all of these questions asked for 300+ words?
And I don't know about everyone else but I've just about answered all of these questions already :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Anyone get the secondary invite from OOS?

Just got the secondary invite! I got the 'AMCAS received' email 7/23.

Woohoo! All the UC's officially like me enough to at least allow me to send them money. I am so honored :p

Me too! I just hope they like me enough to accept me haha

Sent via mobile

Anyone know how strict the secondary screen is?

Wow that's a lot for a uc isn't it?

Sent via mobile

Applied: July 25th

Secondary Received: July 27th

Feeling: Jimmies unrustled

For those who received secondary, when did you get primary verified?

Thought it was gonna come out early August.

I wonder if schools actually care about part-time employment. From my POV it's impressive to work and to do well in school, but I just wonder if schools see it the same way. It's great that UCLA give the opp to mention it in secondaries, but does it actually weigh into the decision ?

For the question: "If there is any hardship to which you would like the committee to give special attention in evaluating your application, then check the box labeled 'Hardship' and briefly explain why you are indicating a hardship. Include any geographic, language, economic, academic, physical, or mental factors."

Is that equivalent to the disadvantaged student question? Because if so, I answer no. Or can I answer it in the form of having faced a challenge question as well that was technically a hardship?

All sections have 800 character limits (including spaces):

Describe involvement in the ONE most important non-academic activity that has been important in your life?

What has been the ONE most unique leadership, entrepreneurial or creative activity in which you participated?

What has been the ONE most important volunteer work you have done and why was it meaningful?

Has there been a gap greater than one year between achieving your baccalaureate degree, and/or
consecutive degrees before applying to medical school? (yes or no). If yes, please explain.

What is the ONE most important honor you have received? Why do you view this as important?

What has been your most scholarly project (thesis, research or field of study in basic or clinical science or in the humanities)? Describe one and give number of hours, dates and advisor.

Describe a problem in your life. Include how you dealt with it and how it influenced your growth.

List major paid work experience during (or since) college. Give dates, description, approximate hours worked (list the most recent first).

If there is any hardship to which you would like the committee to give special attention in evaluating your application, then check the box labeled 'Hardship' and briefly explain why you are indicating a hardship. Include any geographic, language, economic, academic, physical, or mental factors.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years? What experiences have led you to this goal?

Thank you! Are these questions optional, as they were last year? (last year the prompt said "It is not necessary or required to supply information in all sections.")

Thank you! Are these questions optional, as they were last year? (last year the prompt said "It is not necessary or required to supply information in all sections.")

That still seems to be the case:
The committee would like to know about your interests, experiences, and personal characteristics which are relevant to a career in medicine. Please only provide information you believe is important. It is not necessary or required to supply information in all sections. Each response is limited to 800 characters. A character counter for each response has been included to assist you with this limitation. You can save your information by clicking either the 'Save' or 'Update' buttons at the bottom of this form. The information entered on this form will not be available to the Admissions Office until you electronically file the information by clicking the 'Submit' button and pay the document fee.

Verified 7/12. Secondary invite 7/27. OOS. On the back burner. I don't speak Spanish.

I don't speak Spanish.
You're an Architecture major from Alaska, though...kinda far out. Should give you an interview for that (plus your out-of-this-world MCAT) :p

For the most important honor question...they mean like an actual award right? Not like meeting Queen Elizabeth? jk

I dont think I have anything to put in that box...I hope they don't look down on that. I already feel like this is an uphill battle as an OOS

where is their info on the number of LORs u should send? i didn't find anything specific on the website or the supplemental application...

For the most important honor question...they mean like an actual award right? Not like meeting Queen Elizabeth? jk

I dont think I have anything to put in that box...I hope they don't look down on that. I already feel like this is an uphill battle as an OOS

I have the same question about this one. I don't have any awards like research or anything like that. Is that what they're asking for?

Is research considered academic or non-academic?

Is research considered academic or non-academic?

I think research is considered academic...that's why physicians in academic medicine are usually involved in research (along with teaching).

Anyone else notice they only charged 70$ on the payment site when everything else says the fee is 80$?

Wonder if theyre gonna write back demanding the extra 10$

are you guys just filling out the secondary by copy/pasting from your work/activities section?

Also, I have submitted my supplemental application, but the 'Letters of Recommendation' tab still has "requested" as the status. When I click on it, this is what it says:

"We are pleased to inform you that your application to the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA has been selected for further review. If you wish to remain under consideration, please submit in addition to the Supplemental Information, a minimum of three letters of recommendation (maximum of five) including two letters from your instructors.

If your undergraduate school has a premedical committee or its equivalent, a COMMITTEE LETTER IS REQUIRED. Beginning June 2009, David Geffen School of Medicine will only be accepting letters of recommendation via AMCAS.

You will be notified by mail when the Admissions Committee has reviewed and taken action on your application. We do not answer status requests by phone or e-mail.

The Admissions Committee will be evaluating completed applications during the months of October through February. Interviews will be conducted between October and April.

Thank you for your interest in the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA."

Does this mean that I don't have to do anything else because AMCAS automatically sends them the letters right?

I think so! At least thats what I take it as.

Also, is the Geffen and Drew application completely separate? I applied to them individually on AMCAS, so I'm assuming that they're separate institutions?

Also, is the Geffen and Drew application completely separate? I applied to them individually on AMCAS, so I'm assuming that they're separate institutions?

I'm not entirely sure about this, but I would definitely like to know as I applied to both as well.

Yea, they're completely separate interviews.

On the LA website there's different tabs for drew and PRIME, but only my UCLA application was available. I think we fill out different applications for the different programs? Not exactly sure haha.

Did anyone that submitted the secondary notice that the fee says $80, but the payment only takes $70?

Is there anyone who was verified in early July that still hasn't gotten a secondary yet? I received secondaries from all of the UCs almost immediately except for UCLA...

Status
Not open for further replies.