2012-2013 Rosalind Franklin University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I got into my top choice, but it be nice to get some love from a school that is suppose to have a "contract" with my undergrad university. I've talked to a few RF students, they didn't get interviews until April/May!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was recently accepted and have started looking into the housing situation here. Are there any current students that can say a little bit about the more common options? I kind of wanted to live on the north side of Chicago and take the metra (for more of a social life) but I'm not sure how reasonable this is/if anyone actually does it...I've also heard that north Chicago is a tad bit sketchy and from the minimal looking I've done a lot of those surrounding areas are a little more expensive than loan money can afford. Any input would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

First of all, congrats to all of the new members of the class of 2017!

Most students live in the dorms or the woodlands (the apartments that are attached to the school). There are a number of apartment complexes along Waukegan Rd (a.k.a. 43), such as Forest Pointe and Deer Valley. I live in Forest Pointe and like it. They are about the same price as living in the woodlands, and only 5-10 minutes from campus. If you decide to live off campus, I suggest you hook up with an M2 and say that he/she recommended you and split the reward (this can be done via the facebook group). Some students do live closer to the city, but it definitely isn't easy your first year. You will be on campus a LOT, and it is just simpler if you can walk or drive over to campus real quick.

Just to clarify, They call their waitlist an alternate list (I know this because I am close with the adcom). They don't do a ranking or anything either. They simply re-review you each month when the admissions committee meets.

Just to clarify, They call their waitlist an alternate list (I know this because I am close with the adcom). They don't do a ranking or anything either. They simply re-review you each month when the admissions committee meets.

Thanks for the info! Do you know when the committee meets each month? I'm interviewing on Monday. When do you guess I may hear back at the earliest?

Thanks for the info! Do you know when the committee meets each month? I'm interviewing on Monday. When do you guess I may hear back at the earliest?

They meet the third Monday of every month. You'd likely hear sometime during the week of march 18th

So if I had gotten an email from Audrey saying congratulations and welcome to the class, can I assume they received my deposit/form? The money hasn't been taken out of my account yet so I'm a little worried...

So if I had gotten an email from Audrey saying congratulations and welcome to the class, can I assume they received my deposit/form? The money hasn't been taken out of my account yet so I'm a little worried...

Yea I think so. I sent mine in 2 weeks ago, got that email, and just today it was posted on my bank statement. You could always call to make sure though...

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea I think so. I sent mine in 2 weeks ago, got that email, and just today it was posted on my bank statement. You could always call to make sure though...

Okay so they never said directly in the email that they received your deposit? I tried calling/emailing and haven't gotten a response back... I really hope that email was confirmation because its due tomorrow! I'm freaking out a little...

Okay so they never said directly in the email that they received your deposit? I tried calling/emailing and haven't gotten a response back... I really hope that email was confirmation because its due tomorrow! I'm freaking out a little...

I got a separate email confirming that they received the admissions deposit. I feel like if you sent it in by the due date, you're probably covered :)

I got a separate email confirming that they received the admissions deposit. I feel like if you sent it in by the due date, you're probably covered :)

uh oh... what if it got lost? What if they don't get it by tomorrow? I haven't received an email about admissions deposit... officially entering panic mode...

I sent it over a week ago...

uh oh... what if it got lost? What if they don't get it by tomorrow? I haven't received an email about admissions deposit... officially entering panic mode...

Call tomorrow at 8 AM as soon as the office opens and ask them about it. You're probably just fine!

I just checked again and I got an email with the heading "acceptance deposit received." Definitely call

3.9/36 interviewing at RFU?? Argh. This is why it is so hard to get into med school. There is 0% chance you end up matriculating here.

Soo I guess you were right to yell at me, I just got into my top choice and I withdrew today from CMS, but I can say that I did really love my visit here, and hearty congrats to those who are matriculating and good luck to those who are waiting!! :D

Never put my deposit down here don't think I can do Chicago. Withdrew from here today. Good luck everyone!

Thanks! Really hoping for some great post-interview news! I loved the CMS after I toured on my interview day

I got an II today. My earliest date was 4/1, and thats what I'm going to take for now.

Its pretty late, I prolly going to get waitlisted even if I get in. Thoughts?

I got an II today. My earliest date was 4/1, and thats what I'm going to take for now.

It's definitely worth it. Unless your stats are killer you'll likely get put on the alternate list. But if you like it and show your interest come may 15th you might be able to get in what with all the acceptances committing to other schools

Are you accepted anywhere yet? If you were, would u go to RFU over the other school?

Same here. I got an II and I am more likely not going. It is too late and probably this interview is for a waitlist. I'm thinking why go and interview for a wait list if I have been already accepted to some others schools.

Same here. I got an II and I am more likely not going. It is too late and probably this interview is for a waitlist. I'm thinking why go and interview for a wait list if I have been already accepted to some others schools.

Because you might get accepted and like it better than where you got accepted. You really don't know how it will play out. Plus it seems that a pretty good amount of people on the waitlist end up accepted in the end

Because you might get accepted and like it better than where you got accepted. You really don't know how it will play out. Plus it seems that a pretty good amount of people on the waitlist end up accepted in the end

keep in mind that it costs $$$ to fly around as well as time/energy; usually people need to request days off work, etc.

If they aren't feeling it and have acceptances elsewhere, why force oneself to go?

It's not necessarily for a waitlist. I interviewed on the last possible interview day in April and got accepted a few days later. PM me if you have any other questions about RFUMS.

It's definitely worth it. Unless your stats are killer you'll likely get put on the alternate list. But if you like it and show your interest come may 15th you might be able to get in what with all the acceptances committing to other schools

I really hope so. It doesn't cost too much for me b/c I live in the Chicago area. I'm going to see if i can schedule an earlier interview date, bump my chances slightly.

Are you accepted anywhere yet? If you were, would u go to RFU over the other school?

I have gotten into other places, but I might place RFUMS higher on my priority list, given the location.

Does anyone know how many acceptances were offered last year. I know tha 10,141 people applied and 646 were interviewed and 191 enrolled, but I am trying to figure out how many formal acceptances were extended, to get an idea of what my chances are like. (I will be interviewing here April 1st and it is my only interview --- i had completely given up hope and the thought of not having to go through re-application has me SUPER EXCITED) any feedback would be much appreciated.

also, i searched the tread and it seems that one person said the alternate list was the same thing as the wait list and another person mentioned that they went from one list to the other. can someone please clarify?

Does anyone know how many acceptances were offered last year. I know tha 10,141 people applied and 646 were interviewed and 191 enrolled, but I am trying to figure out how many formal acceptances were extended, to get an idea of what my chances are like. (I will be interviewing here April 1st and it is my only interview --- i had completely given up hope and the thought of not having to go through re-application has me SUPER EXCITED) any feedback would be much appreciated.

I've heard that about two 2/3 of those interviewed get accepted, but I'm not sure how accurate that is.

also, i searched the tread and it seems that one person said the alternate list was the same thing as the wait list and another person mentioned that they went from one list to the other. can someone please clarify?

You technically don't get waitlisted until about June. If you're not accepted or rejected, then you get an email saying that they will rereview you next month. So they review all of the applicants at each committee meeting

Hard to get an idea of their acceptance statistics because they take a lot of their own SMP students. Their BMS program has like a 65% and up acceptance rate. So anywhere from 70+ of the 191 enrolled are from BMS. There aren't as many spots open for regular applicants as people believe. However, it seems like they get a lot of waitlist movement as there have already been people from SDN withdrawing their acceptance here.

I was looking for clarification too and didn't really get it. It's only my guess, but I think people who interviewed early in the cycle went from waitlist to alternate list, whereas people like myself who interviewed later got an alternate list placement.

I've heard that about two 2/3 of those interviewed get accepted, but I'm not sure how accurate that is.

You technically don't get waitlisted until about June. If you're not accepted or rejected, then you get an email saying that they will rereview you next month. So they review all of the applicants at each committee meeting

I got an email formally saying I was placed on the alternate list. It then went on to say I would be re-reviewed. People who interview either get accepted, rejected, or placed on the alternate/waitlist.

Interview invite today. There is still hope for those of you waiting to hear! I had three possible interview dates listed in April in the email, and was able to get the first one that they gave me.

Interview invite today. There is still hope for those of you waiting to hear! I had three possible interview dates listed in April in the email, and was able to get the first one that they gave me.
When were you small pooled?

I passed the primary screening one week ago. I was complete in early December and it took them about 12 weeks to do the screening.

Congrats! I've been in primary screening since Nov and whenever I call them, they say that I'm STILL in primary screening. I'm starting to think they forgot about me :scared:

rea253's stats:
Science GPA 3.9, cumulative 3.85. MCAT 31R.

+1 on that wait although I've been small pooled for quite some time now.

Thanks! and sorry if the stats were already posted-i didn't see them. Do you remember when you entered primary screening and small pool?

Thanks! and sorry if the stats were already posted-i didn't see them. Do you remember when you entered primary screening and small pool?
No worries! I entered screening mid November and I was pooled toward the end of January. Crickets since then...

Congrats! I've been in primary screening since Nov and whenever I call them, they say that I'm STILL in primary screening. I'm starting to think they forgot about me :scared:
Thank you! Yeah I definitely thought that my interview season was over so this was a nice surprise. I know a couple of really talented, hard-working students who go there, and am looking forward to learning more about the school from them too. I hope that the rest of the cycle has gone well for you!

I spoke to an MS recently and they said Rosalind Franklin does not have any hospital affiliates except a VA hospital, making it difficult to do clinicals. Is this true? I want to apply to RF and would like further information.

I spoke to an MS recently and they said Rosalind Franklin does not have any hospital affiliates except a VA hospital, making it difficult to do clinicals. Is this true? I want to apply to RF and would like further information.

No they have an affiliation with the Advocate hospitals in the Chicago land area. The M3 rotations are usually done in Chicago. The big name hospitals that CMS works with in the area are Stroger, Cook county, Mt Sinai and advocate Lutheran general, to name a few. A nice diverse patient base, if you ask me.

Just withdrew my acceptance to here. Hope it goes to one of you!

Was the MS that you spoke to from RFUMS? Whoever it was, obviously had no idea what they were talking about. We do rotations at many hospitals (including the ones mentioned above). We go all over the Chicagoland area, but most people decide to stay mainly in the city (easier to travel if they live in the city already). However, if you want you can stay in the northern suburbs if you want, or only go down to the city for a couple of rotations, or whatever you want. I would post a link to the website's list of affiliated hospitals, but the site is currently under maintenance

Finally, a straight answer! Thank you so much. I think this person was deliberately trying to mislead me. This person gave me a bunch of information, but about 75% of it was false. It's too bad that people are like that...

I have PM-ed a few people but wanted to put this up on the main board. Can anyone who interviewed late in previous cycles at RFUMS (April 1st ish) with mediocre stats talk about how their timeline went. I REALLY want to go here but I also want to be realistic and prepare to re-take the MCAT and apply again....just trying to figure out my chances... I do not have the crazy high stats that a lot of SDNers do ...so I'm wondering if I'll get thrown on a waitlist and then be in limbo for a while.

Last edited:
I have PM-ed a few people but wanted to put this up on the main board. Can anyone who interviewed late in previous cycles at RFUMS (April 1st ish) with mediocre stats talk about how their timeline went. I REALLY want to go here but I also want to be realistic and prepare to re-take the MCAT and apply again....just trying to figure out my chances... I do not have the crazy high stats that a lot of SDNers do ...so I'm wondering if I'll get thrown on a waitlist and then be in limbo for a while.

I interviewed here last year around this time (March 19) and got placed on the alternate list and then wait listed in May. At the time, my stats were GPA 3.8, MCAT 30. Every month they updated me, but I remained on the waitlist. After graduating in May, I began studying for the MCAT. Even though I was studying and began reapplying, I waited every month to hear. I heard about people coming off the waitlist, even a person who got accepted a week before the medical school year started. They finally rejected me in August.

So my advice would be to prepare the heck for your interview, because there is a chance you will be accepted (I know this because I knew a few people who interviewed after I did and were accepted). If you get put on the alternate and have no other acceptances, do what ever you can to add to your application, whether it be medical experiences or a higher MCAT score or do a graduate program.

Feel free to PM if you have any questions...just so you know, I got a 34 the second time I took the MCAT and got accepted here last month

Just received an email about passing primary screening. Im guessing its pretty late and will be tough to get an II but keeping my fingers crossed. Do they send out invites randomly or on certain days? What do you guys think my chances are for an invite?

Status
Not open for further replies.