2012-2013 Drexel University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ACCEPTED!!!!!!! I really can't believe this. Final Decision status last Wednesday.

Stats:
28Q
3.65 cGPA 3.60 sGPA
IS

Congrats!

Ugh this drives me crazy though since I got my wait list letter today and I also had a 28 MCAT with a very similar GPA (IS).
Praying for a spot off the wait list :(

Just got the letter for the hotels. It's just a recommendation of places to stay very similar to what you saw for interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ugh..interviewed on 1/7 and I've been with the committee for over a month and still nothing. what was the record time in terms of hearing back? 18weeks?

I will be withdrawing my acceptance at Drexel; hope someone here gets it. :)

Does anyone know how to go about getting the refund for the deposit?

Haven't heard back yet. I interviewed 2/25. Won't be attending anyway because I have an acceptance somewhere else. Good luck to everyone :)

Accepted!!

So happy about this. Can't wait to be a Drexel med student.

Can anyone elaborate upon the pros and cons of choosing the clinical option of completing the 3rd and 4th years at just one site (Mommouth Medical Center or Saint Peter's University Hospital) and what the differences between these two locations might be? I was just accepted and would like to know more if possible before sending in a request.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey y'all! does anyone know when orientation and the first day of classes is this year? The website's academic calendar is of last year...

Can anyone elaborate upon the pros and cons of choosing the clinical option of completing the 3rd and 4th years at just one site (Mommouth Medical Center or Saint Peter's University Hospital) and what the differences between these two locations might be? I was just accepted and would like to know more if possible before sending in a request.

I am very interested in this as well. I would also like to know what it is like in general rotating during the 3rd and 4th year. Many of the clinical rotation sites are outside of philly. Does this mean that as a student you have to move residences for certain rotations, similar to many Osteopathic schools?? If this is true, this would be a huge difference from many of the other MD schools. I've tried emailing the administration, but got no response. And during my interview, my interviewer had no clue about this question

I am very interested in this as well. I would also like to know what it is like in general rotating during the 3rd and 4th year. Many of the clinical rotation sites are outside of philly. Does this mean that as a student you have to move residences for certain rotations, similar to many Osteopathic schools?? If this is true, this would be a huge difference from many of the other MD schools. I've tried emailing the administration, but got no response. And during my interview, my interviewer had no clue about this question

If you do have a rotation outside of Philadelphia, the school provides you with housing typically on hosital premises. A fair number of students opt for this because the housing is free and so they get rid of their apartments for 3rd and 4th year thus saving money on rent for 2 yeas. This is actually quite common especially with the Pennsylvania schools. I've done clinical rotations at hospitals with Temple, Jeffeson, Penn State, UPenn, and UMDNJ students throughout 3rd and 4th year.

Received an interview invite a few days ago after being put on hold back in January. I will not be attending the interview, but I did want to let future applicants (and maybe current ones on hold?) know that the hold status is not necessarily a kiss of death.

Is it possible to opt for rotations only that are within philly instead of the ones around the state. This would be more up my ally for personal reasons.

Is the lottery system for the specific region that you rotate in for the year or for every individual rotation.

Same here, accepted and matriculating. Such a relief after all these months of waiting. Interviewed 1/7, got the acceptance 3/28. Stats: 31, 3.8 OOS

ACCEPTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!
4 years of college, 3 MCAT exams, 2 gap years..all for this 1 envelope!
It took almost 4 months post-interview but it's all good!
I saw the large envelope and I just started freaking out and crying. :D:D:D

Same here, accepted and matriculating. Such a relief after all these months of waiting. Interviewed 1/7, got the acceptance 3/28. Stats: 31, 3.8 OOS

Congrats!!! Will you be at the accepted students day?

Congratulations sbuxaddict - I've been hoping for good news for you - wonderful!

Pro:
You might be able to live with family, or maybe there's a particular reason that you'd want to be near one of those sites all year.
You can really get to know the hospital, the attendings, the computer system, etc.
You don't have to move every 6 or 12 weeks.
You could spend the year in Sacramento. Quite a draw for west-coasters.

Con:
You don't get to see a variety of facilities and patient demographics.
You don't get free (or any) housing.
You still have to do your 6wks of Family Med somewhere else (it has its own lottery).
You don't have a choice about rotation order (I think, anyway... I wasn't paying attention because I never planned to do a 1-year site).

As for information about the sites themselves, 3rd years post reviews of their rotations every year. I'm not sure if you need a Drexel log-in to see those or not. You will have plenty of time to research your options, though -- we (the 2nd years) are just now in the middle of the lottery.

As somebody else already mentioned, this is pretty common for 3rd year.

Is it possible to opt for rotations only that are within philly instead of the ones around the state. This would be more up my ally for personal reasons.

Is the lottery system for the specific region that you rotate in for the year or for every individual rotation.

To start with, you decide whether you want to do an all-year site. If not, you go into the lottery with everyone else who's not doing an all-year. First you make a ranking of the different rotation orders [e.g. SURG-OB-PEDS-IM-FM-PSYCH might be #1, IM-FM-OB-SURG-PEDS-PSYCH might be #10, etc). You rank all of the available permutations, it goes into a computer, and a couple weeks later they spit out your rotation order.

Next, you rank all your location options for Surgery, Peds, OB, and Psych. You can try to prioritize specific sites for a specific rotation (e.g. maybe your first 3 choices will be the places you want to do Surgery), or you can rank all your options for a certain area the highest (like if you're trying to stay in Philadelphia), but at the end of the day it's still a lottery. I was very meticulous about adding up numbers of slots and figuring out which rotations needed to get priority in order to give myself the best chances of staying in Philadelphia, and I still ended up with Surgery in Pittsburgh (but my others were nearby, at least). If you have special medical needs, or if you're a primary caregiver to a minor child, they will take that into account before sending you to a site that is hours away.

Finally, you do a separate lotteries for FM and IM. FM seems like it could be the most random, because each site only takes 1 or 2 students, and they're allllll over the state. I'm just hoping to avoid Pittsburgh and Erie, PA, for distance reasons. For IM, unless you're in an all-year site, you have 4 weeks at Hahnemann, 4 weeks of ambulatory med somewhere else, and 4 weeks of internal med at another affiliated hospital. Still waiting to see how this lottery turns out. :xf:

Let me know if anyone has any other questions about the process.

ACCEPTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Huge congrats! You deserve it!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When do med schools know whether you have been accepted to other schools? is it in April?

Thank you DeucesHigh3. I appreciate all that great information it was extremely helpful.

ACCEPTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats!!! I know it has been a long road for you.

I interviewed almost 7 weeks ago (Feb 14). Guess I still have a month until a decision is reached?

Does anyone know if they are still interviewing? Just curious since I have been on pre-interview hold for awhile....

interview 1/14 and 11weeks post interview....are there even spots open?!!

do they know which schools you've been accepted to or just the number of schools?

do they know which schools you've been accepted to or just the number of schools?

At another school's interview day, the dean stated that before a wait listed student is offered a spot, the school where the applicant is already accepted is first contacted to give them "heads up." So schools must know specifically where else their applicants are accepted. I imagine that this is after May 15 when applicants can only hold 1 spot and waitlists begin to move. Hope I'm making sense.

You and me both... :bang: :bang:

I spoke with the guy in admissions a few days ago after I finished doing a student interview. If I can recall he said either this week or next week is the last week of interviews

Is anyone here going to Accepted Students Day? They said it's "casual dress" but I feel like that's very open to interpretation...

Last edited:
Does anyone who has been accepted know if Drexel responds with an e-mail/letter upon their receipt of your acceptance forms and deposit?

Does anyone who has been accepted know if Drexel responds with an e-mail/letter upon their receipt of your acceptance forms and deposit?

It should say deposit received on the status page somewhere, and then you'll get a snail mail eventually (weeks after).

Thanks for the reply. I was terrified it'll get lost in the mail somewhere. Glad to know that there's a confirmation system.

Hello all
So I have a question for everyone. I interviewed here on jan 15 and still haven't heard anything. I have already sent a letter of interest already and am contemplating to send a letter of update soon. Would people recommend this? I was also thinking to send a letter of recommendation but all this additional information works in our favor or not. What do u guys think?

Hello all
So I have a question for everyone. I interviewed here on jan 15 and still haven't heard anything. I have already sent a letter of interest already and am contemplating to send a letter of update soon. Would people recommend this? I was also thinking to send a letter of recommendation but all this additional information works in our favor or not. What do u guys think?

I interviewed December 12 and only heard back last Wednesday. Although sending a letter of update may not negatively effect your application (I'm not sure what they want or don't want) it may still be a couple of weeks until you hear back.

Hello all

january 7th interviewee and still no decision. it's a long process

Interviewed jan.7th and my status changed today to "final decision reached"

Status
Not open for further replies.