2012-2013 Drexel University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I got my acceptance packet in the mail yesterday!! I interviewed 12/6/12. Best of luck to everybody still waiting!!

Congrats! When did your status change to "With the committee" if you don't mind me asking.

Members don't see this ad.

i'm still just a pre-med but i have a question for a drexel medical student. not sure where to ask so i'll try here.

i know classes are different, but typically, how is the grading distribution? i know drexel has (H/HP/P/LP/F) system but that's really just A B C D F. if the exam average is 85, what is the standard deviation? how many in the class get As and Bs? 20% As? for example, how is the grading distribution for medical biochemistry?

is there a clear difference in effort between an A and a B or is the grading so close that a few points can arbitrarily decide an A and a B? this reminds me sort of like MCAT where one question can make the difference in a point in verbal.

thank you.

anyone else still with committee? how long have people been on that status? mine was changed to that 2 weeks ago

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone else still with committee? how long have people been on that status? mine was changed to that 2 weeks ago

yeah i think mine has been with the committee for 3 weeks now? it may just be 2 weeks i dont remember but pretty sure 2

I've been with the committe 2 and a half weeks now.

I've been with the committee for 4+ weeks now. Really hoping they get to a decision this Friday.

I've been with the committee for 4+ weeks now. Really hoping they get to a decision this Friday.

Hey guys may not be this week since its match day and a lot of the faculty are helping students that did not match. Not 100% sure though!

i'm still just a pre-med but i have a question for a drexel medical student. not sure where to ask so i'll try here.

i know classes are different, but typically, how is the grading distribution? i know drexel has (H/HP/P/LP/F) system but that's really just A B C D F. if the exam average is 85, what is the standard deviation? how many in the class get As and Bs? 20% As? for example, how is the grading distribution for medical biochemistry?

is there a clear difference in effort between an A and a B or is the grading so close that a few points can arbitrarily decide an A and a B? this reminds me sort of like MCAT where one question can make the difference in a point in verbal.

thank you.

This is not something to worry about. Really. Preclinical grades are relatively low on the list of things PDs care about when it comes to residency. You should aim to do as well as you can in classes so you're prepared when Step 1 rolls around.

Now, to get off my soapbox and answer your actual questions:

H/HP/S/M/F does not really reflect A/B/C/D/F - it's more of an A/B+/everything in between/D-/F. And grading policies vary by class. But if you earn an A, you get an A - no curving - unless not that many students make honors, then you could get a bump up - but that honestly doesn't happen. Averages are high, usually ~85, and have been higher in some classes that are taught incredibly well here. Drexel also doesn't rank students, for what that's worth. Your work shows who you are. And, if you pass all your classes, you get your MD.

I can't tell you the number of times I've made or missed a cut-off by tenths of a percent. REALLY DON'T SWEAT IT. I understand not every med student will have that attitude, but I'm encouraging you to develop it because it will significantly reduce your stress down the road, and I promise you, there will be enough other things to stress about. What matters most is that you learn the material well enough to be able to help your patients, not what grade you get on a stupid test. (Says me, who is staring down the barrel of Step 1 in less than 3 months.)

Got the second look email! :) It's scheduled for April 6th in case anyone that didn't get the email is wondering. They said agenda and hotel info is coming so maybe the hotel is included? That'd be awesome!

For those of you considering PIL or already in PIL, I'm wondering if it's better to revisit for Shadow Day (sometime in March) or second look wknd. I'll be flying in from CA, so it's not practical for me to go to both. I'm almost certain I want to do PIL, but it would be nice to get a deeper look and to get to know the school and the city better. Will I be missing out a lot if I don't go to second look?

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you considering PIL or already in PIL, I'm wondering if it's better to revisit for Shadow Day (sometime in March) or second look wknd. I'll be flying in from CA, so it's not practical for me to go to both. I'm almost certain I want to do PIL, but it would be nice to get a deeper look and to get to know the school and the city better. Will I be missing out a lot if I don't go to second look?
Either will be a chance for you to try your hand at a PIL case, so it really doesn't matter if that's your intent. Accepted Students Day is a much broader orientation, PIL shadowing days you spend an entire day with a PIL student going to small group and resource sessions (a.k.a. lectures.)

:love: PIL!

Either will be a chance for you to try your hand at a PIL case, so it really doesn't matter if that's your intent. Accepted Students Day is a much broader orientation, PIL shadowing days you spend an entire day with a PIL student going to small group and resource sessions (a.k.a. lectures.)

:love: PIL!

Thanks for your input! I was initially leaning towards shadow day, but I think I'll end up going to accepted students day.. plane tickets are so expensive during spring break season :eek:

Thanks for your input! I was initially leaning towards shadow day, but I think I'll end up going to accepted students day.. plane tickets are so expensive during spring break season :eek:
You're welcome.

Also, totally reasonable. If you are still weighing multiple schools, the Accepted Students Way would definitely be the way to go, too. Shadow days are fun, but in the middle of the week can be tough if you're traveling a long distance and still in school.

interviewed first week of november and still haven't heard back... this is so aggravating :(

Interviewed 12/3, finally under review by an adcom member.
I had the interview scheduled status for about 13 weeks :oops:

My status just changed to "under review" as well. I Interview 12/11.

I had a status change today: "A final decision has been reached and a letter will be mailed to your preferred address."

Interviewed January.

I had a status change today: "A final decision has been reached and a letter will be mailed to your preferred address."

Interviewed January.

Do you mind telling me the exact date you interviewed? Cause I interviewed on 1/7 and I am still under review by committee.

Thanks

It was actually first week of February, but I'm already part of the Drexel system, so applications tend to move faster, I believe.

Interviewed 12/10 and still waiting for a decision. I know I shouldn't complain since some people have had waaaay longer waits, but it's still really frustrating!

Still no change for me. This is my 3rd week with the committee. The wait is really hard.

Hello everyone,

I will be attending Drexel this fall, and I'm excited about that. I just have one question (hope i came to the right place!)

Is there any way to get in touch with a current Drexel Med student to talk about living situations, classes, life in philly, etc.? I ask because I live in California and so I would love to get input on where to live and just other random questions that would help an out of state student a lot since I won't be able to go back to Philly until I move.

Hello everyone,

I will be attending Drexel this fall, and I'm excited about that. I just have one question (hope i came to the right place!)

Is there any way to get in touch with a current Drexel Med student to talk about living situations, classes, life in philly, etc.? I ask because I live in California and so I would love to get input on where to live and just other random questions that would help an out of state student a lot since I won't be able to go back to Philly until I move.

There are a few Drexel students on this thread that might help you out, but you might want to try contacting the admissions department. I'm sure they would be able to set you up with a current student to talk to, possibly even a Californian who went through a similar move to the east coast.

Hello everyone,

I'm not a med student at drexel (yet) but I live in philly and know the drexel campus (and philly life) so feel free to private message me any questions you have,

Hello everyone,

Feel free to message me with whatever questions you have. Or ask away on the thread as well. I came from Seattle so I know how tough the "across the country" move can be.

Finally sent to the committee...so nervous! :scared:

Good luck! I can't imagine waiting that long to get to the committee! I'm freaking out and mine only took 6 weeks to get to the committee... Now I've been with the committee for a month

Hello everyone,

Has anyone that interviewed in January received a final decision yet? I'm really hoping to receive one soon.

Good luck! I can't imagine waiting that long to get to the committee! I'm freaking out and mine only took 6 weeks to get to the committee... Now I've been with the committee for a month

I was at interviewed scheduled for a loooooooong time and I wasn't too anxious, but now that I'm with the committee I'm freaking out :p
Hope you hear back soon!

I was at interviewed scheduled for a loooooooong time and I wasn't too anxious, but now that I'm with the committee I'm freaking out :p
Hope you hear back soon!

wow, seriously? I remember you interviewed a long, long time ago. Good luck!!

Just got status changed to 'final decision'. Interviewed mid-January.

My heart is pounding. This wait for the mail is going to be excruciating.

Final Decision! I interviewed early January. Honestly, I'd rather get either an acceptance or a rejection, these waiting lists are killing me. Anyone know how long it takes the mail to come? I live fairly close in NJ

Status
Not open for further replies.