2011-2012 Rejections

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
lol DrVN...we seem to be getting all the same rejections on the same days. sigh i could definitely use a nutella crepe or three. i would prefer a fri night rejection over sat morning...blissfully unaware >>>> hungover and angry

Thought my hangover couldn't get any worse till I got this rejection... at least i'm in good company :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
oh man, my nutella jar is gonna get pretty empty if i eat some every time i get rejected!

Have you tried the Goobers with Chocolate and PB? You seem like the type of guy who may enjoy that!

Thought my hangover couldn't get any worse till I got this rejection... at least i'm in good company :confused:

I'm still waiting on 19 programs. I feel like the Noreply fun is over!

UPenn. I was hoping to get an interview, but oh well. Still waiting to hear back from some big name schools (MGH, BID, B&W, Hopkins). I have a feeling those are all going to be rejections, too. I just hope they let me know soon so I can start making travel arrangements to my other places.

UPenn. I was hoping to get an interview, but oh well. Still waiting to hear back from some big name schools (MGH, BID, B&W, Hopkins). I have a feeling those are all going to be rejections, too. I just hope they let me know soon so I can start making travel arrangements to my other places.

Sorry to hear man. First one definitely sucks. Hopefully it will be your only one:luck:

So what is everyone's current status? I'm waiting on 18 schools and am hoping that 2 of them are interviews.

Sorry to hear man. First one definitely sucks. Hopefully it will be your only one:luck:

So what is everyone's current status? I'm waiting on 18 schools and am hoping that 2 of them are interviews.

Waiting on 8 and hoping that 2 of them are interviews...slim odds.

Thanks man! I'm waiting for 6 (MGH, BID, B&W, Hopkins, NYU, Columbia). I'm going to guess they will all be rejections, but if I'm optimistic, I'm hoping for at least 2 invites from that group. I was going through the invite thread and saw a lot of people got B&W invites today, so I'm going to assume that's a reject for me.

Have you tried the Goobers with Chocolate and PB? You seem like the type of guy who may enjoy that!

DVN, I'm in your boat too! I'm still waiting on 15...not sure if/when to call and IF i do call...what to even ask? There's a number of programs i'd love to go to in that list, too...

UPENN - I didn't want to come to your hospital anyways

Members don't see this ad :)
Hate to say it but if Penn said no, don't hold your breath on the rest. Mass Gen has a big intern class so mayne wait on that one but the rest of the top programs will be a no.

Hate to say it but if Penn said no, don't hold your breath on the rest. Mass Gen has a big intern class so mayne wait on that one but the rest of the top programs will be a no.

Probably true in general, but I got penn's rejection the same time I got BWH's interview this AM. I'm from cali though so I think that's one strike against me from the start.

Probably true in general, but I got penn's rejection the same time I got BWH's interview this AM. I'm from cali though so I think that's one strike against me from the start.

I'm in the reverse boat. Interview at Penn, radio silence from BWH

Brigham has a slightly larger intern class than Mass Gen. (70 to 64). The big difference is that MGH interviews twice as many as BWH. (500 to 250).

UCSD(couple weeks ago). UPENN, and UW today..

So most of my rejections have said something along the lines of "due to the high volume of competitive candidates this year we are unfortunately able to interview view everyone." Something they say every year? or is IM just getting more and more competitive every year?

Another question

So if we haven't received a rejection yet to places that traditionally send out rejections,
is it safe to assume we've been wait listed for spots that may open up from cancellations?

Do places like Emory, Wash U, Columbia and Cornell send out rejections?

So most of my rejections have said something along the lines of "due to the high volume of competitive candidates this year we are unfortunately able to interview view everyone." Something they say every year? or is IM just getting more and more competitive every year?

I know that my med school had a near tripling in the number of students going into IM this year from last. I thought this was isolated, but folks I've met on the interview trail from other places have also said they've seen increases (granted, not of the same magnitude) at their programs. At least anecdotal evidence of more applicants and thus more competition.

Yes, they say that every year. Perhaps it's true that this year had a higher volume than in the recent past, but every single rejection letter I got (6 years ago) said the same damn thing.

EDIT: To be fair to the program, it's better than saying the alternative, "Who were you kidding thinking you were competitive enough for this program loser?"

Here is what I am waiting on:

Assuming a rejection: MGH, BWH, JHU, UCSF Columbia

Slight hope due to location: Duke, WashU, Michigan

Medium hope: Pitt, UTSW, BIDMC, Cornell, UChicago, MSSM

Hoping that I have a shot: NYU, BostonU, OHSU, Colorado

Chairman at my school thought I was insane in applying to 40+ programs. I am definitely glad I did!

I know that my med school had a near tripling in the number of students going into IM this year from last. I thought this was isolated, but folks I've met on the interview trail from other places have also said they've seen increases (granted, not of the same magnitude) at their programs. At least anecdotal evidence of more applicants and thus more competition.

My school almost doubled the number going into IM (30 vs 52) this year compared with last year. I don't know what's up with the sudden interest in IM... maybe more kids are being attracted to hospital medicine? And it makes sense, since shift work is the new hotness, and I much rather have 7 on 7 off than random hours in the ED.

My school almost doubled the number going into IM (30 vs 52) this year compared with last year. I don't know what's up with the sudden interest in IM... maybe more kids are being attracted to hospital medicine? And it makes sense, since shift work is the new hotness, and I much rather have 7 on 7 off than random hours in the ED.

We ~doubled according to the Chairman at my school.

We ~doubled according to the Chairman at my school.

Jeez, so basically out of the three anecdotes we have here, we got tripled, doubled, and doubled. This isn't looking good for us applicants...

The key is if they don't say "invitation to interview" in the first line

-rejected from UPenn today, Stanford over the weekend
-waiting on UWash, MassGen, BWH, Duke, Mount Sinai, John Hopkins. No holding my breath on these. Would be happy to go 1/6 with these (8/10 so far).

UPenn today as well. Expecting similar results from what's pending for me (BID, BW, MGH, UW, UCSF).

Here is what I am waiting on:

Assuming a rejection: MGH, BWH, JHU, UCSF Columbia

Slight hope due to location: Duke, WashU, Michigan

Medium hope: Pitt, UTSW, BIDMC, Cornell, UChicago, MSSM

Hoping that I have a shot: NYU, BostonU, OHSU, Colorado

Chairman at my school thought I was insane in applying to 40+ programs. I am definitely glad I did!

Very similar situation:
Probably rejected from: MGH, BWH, JHU, Columbia
Medium hope: Pitt, BIDMC, Cornell, UChicago, MSSM

Hopefully we have a lucky Tuesday coming tomorrow!

I got a rejection from West Virginia Univ. - Charleston division, this morning, and then got a redaction email that said that the previous message was sent by mistake and that if there was already an interview scheduled, that it was still scheduled. Didn't have an interview scheduled... does this mean that I should still consider myself rejected?

Still waiting to hear from Duke, Emory, Columbia, MSSM, and NYU here..def pretty certain the first few are rejections but would love another shot at a NY program!

also waiting on BID, BWH, JHU, and MGH. Not holding my breath on the first three since a bunch of invites have been sent out... and probably the fourth too!

EDIT: To be fair to the program, it's better than saying the alternative, "Who were you kidding thinking you were competitive enough for this program loser?"

:laugh:

In the last 7 days: Hopkin's bayview, cornell, UMDNJ-RWJ, U at Buffalo, Caritas St Elizabeth!

Invite from Mayo Clinic made my day!!! :D

I'm wondering, did I need to write a different personal statement for uni affiliated community programs?

Another question

So if we haven't received a rejection yet to places that traditionally send out rejections,
is it safe to assume we've been wait listed for spots that may open up from cancellations?

Do places like Emory, Wash U, Columbia and Cornell send out rejections?

According to last years thread, Columbia and Cornell do send out official rejections but not sure about the other two...

Jeez, so basically out of the three anecdotes we have here, we got tripled, doubled, and doubled. This isn't looking good for us applicants...

10 last year.. Mid 20s this year

we have about the same number of IM applicants this year as most...but our residency program has received over twice as many applications :/

Yea, from guys like us. It's all a zero sum game though. I wonder what other specialties are seeing less applicants due to this strange outburst of medicine applicants this year. EM? Radiology? Anesthesia? Gen surgery, perhaps?

Yea, from guys like us. It's all a zero sum game though. I wonder what other specialties are seeing less applicants due to this strange outburst of medicine applicants this year. EM? Radiology? Anesthesia? Gen surgery, perhaps?

I don't know about the others but definitely not Gen Surg. The program at my institution got ~1000 apps for 12 spots this year. They generally interview about 150 people. Their first pass ERAS filter was Step 1>250 and AOA...they got almost 200 apps out of that. They didn't even bother to hand curate after that...they just invited those people and are going from there.

I don't know about the others but definitely not Gen Surg. The program at my institution got ~1000 apps for 12 spots this year. They generally interview about 150 people. Their first pass ERAS filter was Step 1>250 and AOA...they got almost 200 apps out of that. They didn't even bother to hand curate after that...they just invited those people and are going from there.

That is just effing ridiculous. Residency work hours making gen surg more appealing these days?

Yeah, that's what it seems like at my institution as well. I don't know what's going on... maybe EM, radiology, and anesthesia saw big drops?? Otherwise, I can't explain this flux, cuz you know ortho, plastics, ENT, derm are gonna get theirs.

At my school, Family has seen is HUGE increase in number apparently. What was once an IMG friendly program is flooded with US apps. More IMGs and DOs are saturating a lot of the community/mid-tier programs as well with huge step 1s.

I'm not trying to be cocky or anything, but I thought I had a good chance to land in my top 20. I haven't received one interview from them lol. Oh well, I am just thankful that I have a nice set of interviews lined up.

That is just effing ridiculous. Residency work hours making gen surg more appealing these days?

Gen Surg got way more competitive in 2005 when the 30h work week went into effect. That was kind of the sweet spot for surgery. It made the training relatively humane while still allowing for a reasonable amount of OR time.

The new changes are, quite frankly, going to be bad for surgery in the long run. I think it's going to make for a lot of pseudo-pyramid programs again. Places will work hard to fill their prelim spots since they're going to need them to cover night float. But the juniors and seniors are going to need to bust hump and (probably) lie about hours in order to get the numbers they need to be decent solo surgeons. You're not going to see an increase in training length but you're going to see a much more difficult job market for non-fellowship trained surgeons.

At my school, Family has seen is HUGE increase in number apparently. What was once an IMG friendly program is flooded with US apps. More IMGs and DOs are saturating a lot of the community/mid-tier programs as well with huge step 1s.

I'm not trying to be cocky or anything, but I thought I had a good chance to land in my top 20. I haven't received one interview from them lol. Oh well, I am just thankful that I have a nice set of interviews lined up.

You have interviews from my top 20 :laugh:

I hope you get one from the Harvard programs :)

Gen Surg got way more competitive in 2005 when the 30h work week went into effect. That was kind of the sweet spot for surgery. It made the training relatively humane while still allowing for a reasonable amount of OR time.

The new changes are, quite frankly, going to be bad for surgery in the long run. I think it's going to make for a lot of pseudo-pyramid programs again. Places will work hard to fill their prelim spots since they're going to need them to cover night float. But the juniors and seniors are going to need to bust hump and (probably) lie about hours in order to get the numbers they need to be decent solo surgeons. You're not going to see an increase in training length but you're going to see a much more difficult job market for non-fellowship trained surgeons.
Why do you think there will be a more difficult job market for non-fellowship trained surgeons? The job market isn't dictated by the specifics of residency training structures. As long as there is the same influx of general surgeons yearly (given the same efflux from retirement), then the job market should be stable... unless you think that specialty surgery will continue to usurp more of the bread and butter of true general surgery. But, that's a different discussion altogether.

Brigham has a slightly larger intern class than Mass Gen. (70 to 64). The big difference is that MGH interviews twice as many as BWH. (500 to 250).

Where do you find the number of interviews given? I looked on Frieda and didn't see it.

my school actually didn't have many going into medicine this year. There were a lot less than previous years. Anesthesia was the big one at my school and also optho

Where do you find the number of interviews given? I looked on Frieda and didn't see it.
I't on Freida. I remembered from last year but I checked Freida again before I posted.

Why do you think there will be a more difficult job market for non-fellowship trained surgeons? The job market isn't dictated by the specifics of residency training structures. As long as there is the same influx of general surgeons yearly (given the same efflux from retirement), then the job market should be stable... unless you think that specialty surgery will continue to usurp more of the bread and butter of true general surgery. But, that's a different discussion altogether.

Because the people doing the hiring are going to be wary of the operative skills of those who trained under the new work hour rules since they may not have had the same amount of operative experience that those who trained previously had. A year or two of fellowship gives you a solid block of operative time without all the scut of residency.

There will always be a place for the straight General Surgeon of course, and it's not going to happen next year but it's coming.

I't on Freida. I remembered from last year but I checked Freida again before I posted.

Can you explain where? I don't see it in any of the 6 tabs you get after a program search. Am I in the right spot?

Status
Not open for further replies.