Official 2015-2016 Rejections Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

buonassezia

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
UCSD (10/14)

California
UCSD - buonassezia (10/14)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just got the email too haha.

Me toooo! Oh well San Diego was too nice for me anyways...;)

Members don't see this ad :)
UNC (10/15)

Surprised at the number of rejections and silent rejections so far, I suppose, though I thought I was a decent applicant for many of these places (…[details removed, whininess nonsense]). Huh. IM is getting to be pretty tough out there! Do you think taking Step 2 CK later, geography, and/or great classmate cohort could have amounted to the shut-out?

Last edited:
So you don't have your Step 2 CK? Yeah I think a combination of those things might contribute. I'm somewhat in the same boat. I took mine at the end of September. Hopefully they come back in the next week or so? I'm not too disappointed so far since I set my expectations somewhat low.

UNC (10/15)

Surprised at the number of rejections and silent rejections so far, I suppose, though I thought I was a decent applicant for many of these places (Top 20/250s/2nd quartile/smattering of H by stringent grading sys including Medicine/2 papers, 2 in press, several posters/good ECs, MSPE without problem comments, and letter writers all volunteered to write; deans said PS was great and without problems). Huh. IM is getting to be pretty tough out there! Do you think taking Step 2 CK later, geography, and/or great classmate cohort could have amounted to the shut-out?

I'm in the same boat with the same rejections listed here so far. I'm guessing it's the step 2 also. It's been a frustrating cycle so far.

UNC (10/15)

Surprised at the number of rejections and silent rejections so far, I suppose, though I thought I was a decent applicant for many of these places (Top 20/250s/2nd quartile/smattering of H by stringent grading sys including Medicine/2 papers, 2 in press, several posters/good ECs, MSPE without problem comments, and letter writers all volunteered to write; deans said PS was great and without problems). Huh. IM is getting to be pretty tough out there! Do you think taking Step 2 CK later, geography, and/or great classmate cohort could have amounted to the shut-out?

Another thing is coastal areas make schools disproportionately competitive. If you moved mid to upper tier schools like UNC or UCSD midwest, I bet stats like yours would have got an interview. I wouldn't worry too much about it. I also have unconfirmed suspicions that some schools (potentially Duke and/or UNC) may want step 2 CK scores. I didn't get my Step 2 CK score until yesterday, and I haven't heard any IV (or rejections) yet.

Edit: I just now literally got an IV from UNC, but did release a CK score yesterday

Another thing is coastal areas make schools disproportionately competitive. If you moved mid to upper tier schools like UNC or UCSD midwest, I bet stats like yours would have got an interview. I wouldn't worry too much about it. I also have unconfirmed suspicions that some schools (potentially Duke and/or UNC) may want step 2 CK scores. I didn't get my Step 2 CK score until yesterday, and I haven't heard any IV (or rejections) yet.

Edit: I just now literally got an IV from UNC, but did release a CK score yesterday

When did you take it? Maybe I can guesstimate when mine will be released (and is hopefully fine).
Did anyone even hear for UNC prior to today? I have a feeling AndreasVesalius that you would have gotten the interview anyways. Seems like they had their minds made but who knowsssss.

When did you take it? Maybe I can guesstimate when mine will be released (and is hopefully fine).
Did anyone even hear for UNC prior to today? I have a feeling AndreasVesalius that you would have gotten the interview anyways. Seems like they had their minds made but who knowsssss.
CK scores come out on Wednesday at 11am.
It's the third Wednesday if you took the exam on a Wednesday/Thursday/Friday, but the fourth wednesday if you took it any other day (Sat-Tues).
I took mine 9/25 (Friday) and got it yesterday (3rd Wednesday) at 11am.

I'm not sure not releasing CK had anything to do with it. A friend of mine got UNC today, top 20 school 250+ same stats as you took CK a week ago.

Did get a prelim rejection from them today.

FYI I've had my CK score released since mid-September and just got UNC invite tonight. Agreed that releasing CK probably isn't related.

Wishing best of luck to all of you! I've also been surprised by some silent rejections by places with interview slots basically full - would almost prefer to get the rejection officially so I can stop thinking about it.

Reactions: 1 users
CK scores come out on Wednesday at 11am.
It's the third Wednesday if you took the exam on a Wednesday/Thursday/Friday, but the fourth wednesday if you took it any other day (Sat-Tues).
I took mine 9/25 (Friday) and got it yesterday (3rd Wednesday) at 11am.

Oh my goodness I'm such a fart...I got mine and just hadn't checked the right e-mail address. Haha thank you for replying back so quickly...we took it the same date.

Oh my goodness I'm such a fart...I got mine and just hadn't checked the right e-mail address. Haha thank you for replying back so quickly...we took it the same date.
Hahah too funny. I'm glad I could help.

And I guess I was wrong about UNC. Thanks for the clarification.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the same boat with the same rejections listed here so far. I'm guessing it's the step 2 also. It's been a frustrating cycle so far.

My colleague got an interview at UNC Chapel Hill. He is taking CK in December.

I was rejected from UNC as well with 260s CK. I get that coastal programs may be more competitive but UNC's 2014 intern class profile is nothing special. I feel line there's a good mix of upper and middle tier schools and I thought my stats made me competitive. Maybe academic medicine is crazy competitive this year. I reasoned that I was in the upper 1/3rd of applicants, but maybe I was wrong. Fwiw, my match coordinator says my application has no red flags and my advisor said my Dean's letter was very competitive. I'm surprised someone like bounassezia was rejected, his/her application would be something I consider close to a superstar.

I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling this way! Also rejected from UCSD and UNC with similar stats to bounassezia's. I'm getting radio silence from places like Colorado, Emory, Brown....

Last edited:
That is surprising... I got an interview from all 3 with just step 1 upper 240's, no AOA, no research. Don't go to a top 10 med school. So idk what exactly they are looking for. I did have almost all clinical honors, great dean's comments/letters, and good leadership experience.

Last edited:
I agree nothing makes sense. I got a rejection from Maryland (10/14), but I've received invites from places I would consider "better" or at least more competitive. Maybe now that there are more applicants than ever to IM, they are looking for other qualities?

They may also be factoring in the likelihood of someone ranking their program highly. Maybe they're suspecting that all of you guys with amazing stats are going to go for Hopkins or MGH as your top choices?

Unfortunately there will always be some randomness involved with the interview process. You will interview at some great places and get rejected from others that are 1-2 "tiers" (however you may define them) below places you've interviewed. It was this way when I applied for residency 3 years ago, and also for fellowship now. The best bet is to focus on the places you saw and liked, and then come here every now and then to commiserate about the rejections anonymously online (sometimes it helps!).

I agree nothing makes sense. I got a rejection from Maryland (10/14), but I've received invites from places I would consider "better" or at least more competitive. Maybe now that there are more applicants than ever to IM, they are looking for other qualities?

They may also be factoring in the likelihood of someone ranking their program highly. Maybe they're suspecting that all of you guys with amazing stats are going to go for Hopkins or MGH as your top choices?

Haha yeah that would be nice but I only have one top tier invite from UChicago

Read the thread from last year after match. You're going to get rejections that make no sense whatsoever. Don't kill yourself over it. Onto the next one brah.

Adding Yale categorical

California

UCSD - 10/14

Connecticut
Yale categorical- 10/16

Maryland
UMaryland- 10/14

North Carolina
UNC- 10/15

Oregon
OHSU- 10/16

Adding UNC, Yale, OHSU, Baylor Dallas

California
UCSD - 10/14

Connecticut
Yale categorical- 10/16, 10/16

Maryland
UMaryland- 10/14

North Carolina
UNC- 10/15, 10/15

Oregon
OHSU- 10/16, 10/16

Texas
Baylor Dallas(10/05)

Last edited:
If I haven't heard from Vanderbilt yet, should I consider that a silent rejection? ( @pseudocyst11 or @lala9876 - saw your invites on the other thread). I've received invites from some surrounding "top" programs, so I thought I may still hear from Vandy. I have family in Nashville, so I am hoping to get a chance to take a look at their program.

If I haven't heard from Vanderbilt yet, should I consider that a silent rejection? ( @pseudocyst11 or @lala9876 - saw your invites on the other thread). I've received invites from some surrounding "top" programs, so I thought I may still hear from Vandy. I have family in Nashville, so I am hoping to get a chance to take a look at their program.

On interview broker, there are spots available on jan 29. It also says oct 26 but I'm not sure if that's bc that's the date I've selected (?).

"Program no longer offered on ERAS" = Rejection?

If so, Mass Gen/ UW.

It might be that the deadline to submit your ERAS to those programs have passed.

Ohhhh, yeah true! Sorry for any false alarms!!

I think it's that, because I had UWash say this for awhile and still go the email that over the weekend that they are still sorting through applications. Also, MGH didn't show this last time I checked a 1-2 weeks ago and IIRC, MGH deadline is 10/15, so might make sense for them to change it over the weekend.

Adding several

California

UCSD - 10/14, 10/14
UCSF - 10/7

Connecticut

Illinois
Northwestern 10/19 (per reports on other thread, can anyone confirm?)

Maryland
UMaryland- 10/14

North Carolina
UNC- 10/15, 10/15

Oregon
OHSU- 10/16, 10/16

Tennessee
Vanderbilt 10/19

Texas
Baylor Dallas(10/05)

Adding several

California

UCSD - 10/14, 10/14
UCSF - 10/7

Connecticut

Illinois

Maryland
UMaryland- 10/14

North Carolina
UNC- 10/15, 10/15

Oregon
OHSU- 10/16, 10/16

Tennessee
Vanderbilt 10/19

Texas
Baylor Dallas(10/05)

if you see people getting official rejections from a school listed, does that mean this school will officially notify all applicants if they are rejected (ie. they will not give silent rejections)?

if you see people getting official rejections from a school listed, does that mean this school will officially notify all applicants if they are rejected (ie. they will not give silent rejections)?
I think so !

I don't think so. I have heard neither yay nor nay from 3 of the schools listed above. It seems some reject in a giant batch, whereas others may do so in waves. Others (with some overlap?) just keep stringing you along and let you infer when it's over.

Last edited:
If it helps anyone, I am couples matching and was able to get a rejection reversed to an IV for my fiance.

More UCSF rejections

California
UCSD - 10/14, 10/14
UCSF - 10/7, 10/20

Connecticut

Illinois

Maryland
UMaryland- 10/14

North Carolina
UNC- 10/15, 10/15

Oregon
OHSU- 10/16, 10/16

Tennessee
Vanderbilt 10/19

Texas
Baylor Dallas(10/05)

UCSF (10/20), Stanford (10/20)

California
UCSD - 10/14, 10/14
UCSF - 10/7, 10/20, 10/20
Stanford - 10/20

Connecticut

Illinois

Maryland
UMaryland- 10/14

North Carolina
UNC- 10/15, 10/15

Oregon
OHSU- 10/16, 10/16

Tennessee
Vanderbilt 10/19

Texas
Baylor Dallas(10/05)

I love SDN flirting!

Hahah, thank for you the compliment. As well know stats are only half the package though and there are many amazing applicants this year (it seems they do like to congregate on this forum though...)

Stanford 10/20, University of Washington 10/20

California
UCSD - 10/14, 10/14
Stanford - 10/20, 10/20

Connecticut

Illinois

Maryland
UMaryland- 10/14

North Carolina
UNC- 10/15, 10/15

Oregon
OHSU- 10/16, 10/16

Tennessee
Vanderbilt 10/19

Texas
Baylor Dallas(10/05)

Washington
University of Washington - 10/20

Washington

California

UCSD - 10/14, 10/14
Stanford - 10/20

Connecticut

Illinois

Maryland
UMaryland- 10/14

North Carolina
UNC- 10/15, 10/15

Oregon
OHSU- 10/16, 10/16

Tennessee
Vanderbilt 10/19

Texas
Baylor Dallas(10/05)

Washington
UWashington - 10/20

More Washington

California
UCSD - 10/14 (x2)
UCSF - 10/7, 10/20 (x2)
Stanford - 10/20 (x2)

Connecticut
Yale Categorical- 10/16 (x2)

Illinois

Maryland
UMaryland- 10/14

North Carolina
UNC- 10/15 (x2)

Oregon
OHSU- 10/16 (x2)

Tennessee
Vanderbilt - 10/19

Texas
Baylor Dallas - 10/05

Washington
UWashington - 10/20 (x3)

Reactions: 4 users
Haha! Love the sombrero. Great clip.

This afternoon the entire west coast rejected me in a giant sequential bombardment while I rounded and then made several courses of quesadillas. Surprisingly, still a good day. Nice to have some closure, at least, and quesadillas. ;)

Keep truckin, everyone. There are still sweet places to go, even if they are cold or their signature food is cheese curds (the best).

Last edited: