2011-2012 Interview Impressions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is this new EIP thing going on. some programs have 10 year accreditation cylce (Henry Ford Hospital from what I have heard)

Members don't see this ad.

yes it is rare indeed. few hospitals are enrolled in it. I didnt quite get what its all about.

Members don't see this ad :)
One of the PD's on the interview trail was very proud of his program's participation in the Educational Innovation Project (EIP) and the 10 year cycle length. The best I can tell is that it is the ACGME's version of Quality Assurance (QA).

You can find more information on EIP including a list of participants here: http://www.acgme.org/acWebsite/RRC_140/140_EIPpresent.asp

Just FYI

You can search accreditation histories and cycle lengths here: http://www.acgme.org/adspublic/

One of the PD's on the interview trail was very proud of his program's participation in the Educational Innovation Project (EIP) and the 10 year cycle length. The best I can tell is that it is the ACGME's version of Quality Assurance (QA).

You can find more information on EIP including a list of participants here: http://www.acgme.org/acWebsite/RRC_140/140_EIPpresent.asp

Just FYI

You can search accreditation histories and cycle lengths here: http://www.acgme.org/adspublic/

I think I know which program you speak of :idea:. It was cold...

Thank you for the links nateshizzle!

Very helpful... thanks! :thumbup: I'm interviewing at UCSD in Jan, and I'm pretty excited about this one. :xf:

Two quick questions:

1. After talking with several residents about what factors to take into account when ranking programs, I felt like there was a general consensus on the importance of each program's ACGME cycle length (the longer, the better). So I hit up the ACGME website and looked up some of the accreditation stuff. I was really surprised to see that UCSD had an ACGME cycle length of 2 years... should this be concerning?

... which leads me to my second question.

2. On every interview that I've been to so far, the PD always talks about the ACGME cycle length (normal length seems to be 5 yrs... one PD stated that very few programs have a cycle length of 6 yrs). What is the significance of the ACGME cycle length? (ie. how should we as applicants be factoring this into our decision of ranking programs?)

Nah. I wouldn't worry about it. You could ask specifically when you are there why ACGME is coming back to soon if you can find a delicate way to do it.

Usually what happens is that a program gets a site visit, and ACGME, in an effort to maintain their relevance finds something "wrong" - maybe it's the call rooms - and says, "We'll be back in two years, fix the call rooms". No big name program is going to have any serious violations or issues. All the two years means is that the last time ACGME was there to visit they wanted something changed and will be back to see how it got changed. Programs make appropriate changes.

Unless the residency is subsidizing your parking this figure is not accurate. It is $81/month and the caveat of no parking existing anywhere past 9 AM. Not that youd ever be getting there that late, but just a FYI.
http://blink.ucsd.edu/facilities/transportation/permits/annual.html#B:-Green

Most programs that charge for parking for residents do so at a reduced rate. Ours is about half of what they charge anybody else. And unlike non-physician staff, residents are guaranteed parking permits...there's a 2+ year wait list for everyone else.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless you have a rich spouse and/or generous parents, the $40/mo for parking will be the least of your financial worries in SoCal...

the $40/mo for parking will be the least of your financial worries in SoCal.

lool ... arent there any programs in Laguna Beach?

Unless you have a rich spouse and/or generous parents, the $40/mo for parking will be the least of your financial worries in SoCal...

All you have to do is live on the beach and eat carne asada nachos every day. Only 7 bucks a day, plus if you make friends with the beach bums, they'll share their EtOH with you =)

Anyone already visit Baylor in Houston?
Thoughts and impressions are appreciated :)

I recently interviewed at Case Western and was super impressed. The PD Dr. Armitage seems be the highlight of the program. He is very active with the residents and really does listen to the residents. The residents seemed very happy overall. I get the sense they work pretty damn hard, but really enjoy it since there is a strong camaraderie among the residents and staff. The new cancer center is AMAZING, as a person interested in H/O this was a big drawing point. Fellowship match is pretty important to me, I was impressed with where there residents ended up matching at. The main negative of the program in Cleveland. The residents and staff were really trying to sell Cleveland with the the low cost of living, the symphony and the attractions in the city.

Overall, I think that OSU, CCF, and Case all give similar training and the opportunity to match at great places.

What do you think of Columbus? I don't think I got a great feel for the city while I was there.

What do you think of Columbus? I don't think I got a great feel for the city while I was there.

IMO Columbus is the best city in Ohio. I think it is a great place for young professionals. While it is definitely a college town, there is a ton more to do. Madison>Columbus ;)

Madison is nice.

Plus, Wisconsin women fill a certain connoisseur niche for me.

:eyebrow:......:thumbup:?

niche = women who like to chase their bratwurst with a pint of microbrew?

jdh what in Odin's name is this new avatar o_O

Dont get me wrong I love FALILV, but Gunslinger to HST ... Not cool Bra .. :D

haha fair enough .... Happy new year ye doctors

IMO Columbus is the best city in Ohio. I think it is a great place for young professionals. While it is definitely a college town, there is a ton more to do. Madison>Columbus ;)

oooh, comparing midwestern college towns, i'll bite:

1. Madison
2. Madison
3. Madison
4. Iowa City
5. Other
99. Ann Arbor
127. Columbus

oooh, comparing midwestern college towns, i'll bite:

1. Madison
2. Madison
3. Madison
4. Iowa City
5. Other
99. Ann Arbor
127. Columbus

I hope listing Iowa City above Ann Arbor is only because a rivalry or something. Good call on Columbus but are you sure it shouldn't be lower?

I hope listing Iowa City above Ann Arbor is only because a rivalry or something. Good call on Columbus but are you sure it shouldn't be lower?

Meh, don't really have a dog in that particular fight, so, not really. However, I've spent a considerable amount of time in all of the cities listed (some more than others).

Iowa city is smallish for sure, but a hidden gem, akin to a smaller neighborhood restaurant that doesn't have a big "name" like more well known brands, but that leaves you raving about what a spectacular place it is everytime.

Ann Arbor is much larger, to the layperson has much more "cache'...but again, is like a big "name" restaurant that always SOUNDS better than it is, and usually leaves you, well, satisfied, but a little underwhelmed for all the hoopla.

Columbus, again, not bad, but definitely not as great as people from columbus or ohio state would like you to believe.

Bloomington = "yawn"
South Bend = "ick"

IMHO.

DTL

Madison sucks, basically anything Wisconsin sucks. Columbus is alright, just a overgrown college town. Iowa City, no idea, I can't even point out Iowa on the map.

There is a reason Ann Arbor was named one of the best cities to live in for singles, families, and the elderly..

Madison sucks, basically anything Wisconsin sucks. Columbus is alright, just a overgrown college town. Iowa City, no idea, I can't even point out Iowa on the map.

There is a reason Ann Arbor was named one of the best cities to live in for singles, families, and the elderly..

AA? Hahahahahah. Oh man, that's hilarious. If you like homely women and a lack of good nightlife, then yes, AA is absolutely the place to be. And before you ask, yes, I have lived in AA (in fact, still own property there).

totally disagree with previous post....

their fellowship match is phenomenal for ALL, not just pulm/cc....

heme/onc has U Penn, UCSF, U Wash...etc
GI had vanderbilt, upmc(top 10 GI program) etc etc

cardio was also very good..cant recall off top of my head..

person who talked about pitt having not so good fellowship placement beyond pulm/cc must not have read their match list carefully..

person who talked about pitt having not so good fellowship placement beyond pulm/cc must not have read their match list carefully..

Wrong thread?...

AA? Hahahahahah. Oh man, that's hilarious. If you like homely women and a lack of good nightlife, then yes, AA is absolutely the place to be. And before you ask, yes, I have lived in AA (in fact, still own property there).

LOL whats wrong with homely women doc!

Come on dude AA has a decent nightlife, admit not to quality of Chicago but for a midwest city its pretty good. Admit I went to MSU for undergrad, and we def had the hotter women :cool:. And for all you Detroit haters out there we coming back!

I think he posted in the wrong thread, but so he can make his points about pitt's placement, I've put their last three class's fellowship match below (taken from their public website).

From Pitt's Website:
Class of 2011–2012

Ali Imran Amjad UPMC, Hematology/Oncology Fellowship
William Anderson U. of Colorado/National Jewish Medical Center, Allergy/Immunology Fellowship
Elizabeth Belloli University of Michigan, Pulmonary/Critical Care Fellowship
Maggie Benson* Chief Medical Resident 2012 - 2013
Jodie Bryk* Chief Medical Resident 2012 - 2013
Melissa Burgess UPMC, Hematology/Oncology Fellowship
William Ceyrolles Allegheny General Hospital, Cardiology Fellowship
Vivian Chidi Vanderbilt University, Gastroenterology Fellowship
Michael Grimes UPMC, Endocrinology Fellowship
Vikram Krishnasamy* Chief Medical Resident 2012 - 2013
Aju Mathew UPMC, Hematology/Oncology Fellowship
Todd Mendelson NYU, Cardiology Fellowship
Michael Nathenson Univesity of Maryland, Hematology/Oncology Fellowship
Haq Nawaz UPMC, Gastroenterology Fellowship
Lisa Podgurski UPMC, Hospice and Palliative Medicine Fellowship
Sumera Rizvi Mayo Clinic, Gastroenterology Fellowship
Gaetan Sgro* Chief Medical Resident 2012 - 2013
Amanda Sherrod Vanderbilt University, Hematology/Oncology Fellowship
Amy Soni UPMC, Hematology/Oncology Fellowship
(top of page)

Class of 2010–2011

Saddam Abisse VA Pittsburgh, Hospitalist; Brown University, Cardiology Fellowship
Andrew Beardsley University of California San Francisco, Hematology/Oncology Fellowship
Faraz Bishehsari Northwestern University, Gastroenterology Fellowship
Chirag Chauhan* UPMC, Cardiology Fellowship
John Cherian Allegheny General Hospital, Cardiology Fellowship
Nicole Dalton UPMC, Infectious Disease Fellowship
Anna Donovan* Chief Medical Resident 2011-2012
Adam Dore University of North Carolina, Rheumatology Fellowship
Andrew Fisher Solano and Kokales Internal Medicine Associates, Attending
Melissa Gluck VA Pittsburgh, Hospitalist
Jerry Jacob University of Pennsylvania, Hospitalist
Deborah Jones* Beth Isreal Deaconess Hospital, Hematology/Oncology Fellowship
Brian Henry UPMC, Cardiology Fellowship
Faris Khan UPMC, Hospitalist; Penn State University, Cardiology Fellowship
Hillary Lum University of Colorado, Geriatric and Palliative Care Fellowship
Jennifer Lyden UPMC, Attending
Mahboobeh Mahdavinia Northwestern University, Allergy/Immunology Fellowship
Nicholas Mahoney UPMC, Gastroenterology Fellowship
Rawad Mounzer UPMC, Gastroenterology Fellowship
Maanasa Muralidhar Hospitalist-Atlanta, GA
Mark O'Hara* University of Pennsylvania, Hematology/Oncology Fellowship
Anuj Patel VA Philadelphia, Hospitalist ; UPMC, Hematology/Oncology Fellowship
Anil Purohit UPMC, Hospitalist; UPMC, Cardiology Fellowship
Andrew Schwartzman Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital, Hospitalist
Craig Seaman UPMC, Hematology/Oncology Fellowship
Stuart Seigel UPMC, Endocrinology Fellowship
Roy Semaan VA Pittsburgh, Hospitalist; UPMC/NIH, Pulmonary/Critical Care Fellowship
Marmy Shah University of Chicago, Gastroenterology Fellowship
Donald Siddoway UPMC, Cardiology Fellowship
Ann Silk University of Michigan, Hematology/Oncology Fellowship
Joseph Simonetti, Jr* University of Washington, NRSA Primary Care Research Fellowship
Julia Skapik AAAS Science and Technology Policy Fellowship
Chad Talarek Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Hospitalist
Mansoor Tanwir UPMC, Endocrinology Fellowship
Gary Yawn Jr Texas Heart Institute, Cardiology Fellowship
Anna Zemke UPMC, Pulmonary/Critical Care Fellowship
(top of page)

Class of 2009–2010

Heitham Abdul-Baki, MD UPMC, Gastroenterology
Sonia Bynum, MD UPMC, Renal-Electrolyte
Mike Curren, MD* UPMC, Cardiology
Ron Codario, MD* UPMC, Endocrinology
Jennifer Corbelli, MD* UPMC, Women's Health
Lydia Davis, MD UPMC, Cardiology
Kathy Dorritie, MD UPMC, Hematology/Oncology
Abid Fakhri, MD Allegheny General Hospital, Cardiology
Tahareh Ghorbani, MD Beth Israel Hospital, Endocrinology
Miranda Gillespie, MD UPMC, Global Health/General Medicine
Amanda Gillespie-Twardy, MD UPMC, Hematology/Oncology
Nikhil Gupta, MD UPMC, Renal-Electrolyte
Kelly Hagerich, MD Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Epidemic Intelligence Service
Jana Hashash, MD UPMC, Gastroenterology
Mike Koprucki, MD UPMC, Renal-Electrolyte
Hussain Mahmud, MD UPMC, Endocrinology
Christine McBurney, MD UPMC, Rheumatology
Jessica Ngyuen, MD John Hopkins University Hospital, Allergy/Immunology
Jamie Olson, MD University of Florida, Gastroenterology
Simi Padaval, MD Beth Israel, Infectious Diseases
Mike Sabatini, MD UPMC, Cardiology
Kristen Sanfilippo, MD Washington University of St. Louis, Hematology/Oncology
Brian Staub, MD Allegheny General Hospital, Cardiology
Heather Strah, MD Washington University of St. Louis, Pulmonary Medicine
Rod Tan, MD UPMC, Renal-Electrolyte