Too many rejections

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted648341

I'm worried about the number of rejections i have gotten lately. I applied broadly to 50+ schools with a mix of top,mid,low and community programs.I got few interviews within few days after 9/15,mostly university affiliated community programs but dried up quickly after 10/1 and now rejections one after the other. Any hopes after this late in October?
Non trad student,age mid 30s,Allopathic school-top 25,Step 1-220s,Step 2-high 240s and HP- IM and Sub I.

Members don't see this ad.

Looks like the average Step 1 for accepted applicants was 226 in 2013, and 231 in 2014, so everybody is correct to say IM is getting more competitive. I've been looking at the invitation thread and it seems like a lot of schools are done sending out invites. However, last year I saw that many people were getting invites into November. Hopefully more interviews start coming in, especially as people start canceling their interviews.

I don't know...this seems kind of weird. Our stats are pretty similar, and I've heard from 17 out of 29 programs (having not heard from most of my "reaches"...which apparently were actual reaches). Are there any red flags on your application? 50+ programs should have set you up nicely, so this doesn't really make sense to me. Have you talked to any administrators at your school?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm worried about the number of rejections i have gotten lately. I applied broadly to 50+ schools with a mix of top,mid,low and community programs.I got few interviews within few days after 9/15,mostly university affiliated community programs but dried up quickly after 10/1 and now rejections one after the other. Any hopes after this late in October?
Non trad student,age mid 30s,Allopathic school-top 25,Step 1-220s,Step 2-high 240s and HP- IM and Sub I.
How were your LORs and ECs? Just curious.

Looks like the average Step 1 for accepted applicants was 226 in 2013, and 231 in 2014, so everybody is correct to say IM is getting more competitive. I've been looking at the invitation thread and it seems like a lot of schools are done sending out invites. However, last year I saw that many people were getting invites into November. Hopefully more interviews start coming in, especially as people start canceling their interviews.

Curious, where did you find those average step 1 scores?

I'm in the same boat with slightly lower scores. Step 1 218, Step 2 239, Honors in Sub-I, Top 50 MD program. Applied 50+ schools, only heard back from 4 mid-tier universities and a few community programs.

I don't know...this seems kind of weird. Our stats are pretty similar, and I've heard from 17 out of 29 programs (having not heard from most of my "reaches"...which apparently were actual reaches). Are there any red flags on your application? 50+ programs should have set you up nicely, so this doesn't really make sense to me. Have you talked to any administrators at your school?
Thanks for the advise but I'm not aware of any red flags.My app,however,lacks research and personal statement written with fellowship in focus.Few extracurricular activities in med school-If activities before med school count then i have plenty.

No love over here either, figured it was because I'm DO but I see good MD applicants struggling as well. 242/248 and honors on almost all core and elective rotations (including IM which I thought would be important). Lacking in ECs

It's tough out there guys. Avg to above avg candidates are all feeling the pain. I think the cream of the crop are still doing well though. The proleteriat needs to rise up!
JKJK. But yeah, feeling the pain too.

Reactions: 1 user
With more people applying it is expected that the number of invites per applicant should go down as compared to years past However this applies to everyone so your chances of matching may not be as lowered as you might expect .

It's tough out there guys. Avg to above avg candidates are all feeling the pain. I think the cream of the crop are still doing well though. The proleteriat needs to rise up!
JKJK. But yeah, feeling the pain too.

The pain = the worst. Each rejection stings a little more... ;)

IFeeling everyone's pain from past experience. I think it's worth repeating a fact of today's life - IM IS COMPETITIVE. Anyone who advises you differently gives bad advice. Matching at a great program is not easy, because today, IM is competitive, and is shameless about crushing egos and deferring dreams.

Good luck to everyone.