2011-2012 Rejections

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like the rest of application season is going to be a humbling experience!

Nah.

Everyone's overbooked interviews. And many of them are sitting in the same, "Hmmmm, which do I cancel," camp, and more interviews will be forthcoming as people start to cancel.

Members don't see this ad.

Just part of the Stanford/Northwestern rejection movement.

Another proud member of the NW reject group!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not going to hate on that place, but no program fell further in my pre-interview rank list --> Actual, Certified Rank List than UWash (1 --> 11 if you're curious). Yes, it sucks to not feel loved but...perhaps for the best.

Because I am curious - what about UWash do people not like? I have not heard from them and it is getting to the point where, even if I do, I may not even want to go on the interview anyways (my piggy bank is running dry pretty quickly). Feel free to PM me if you don't want to share publicly! :cool:

Thanks!

finally got Stanford Rejection!!! oh well, it's tough in Cali even for ppl from cali....

stanford and NW here too (both yesterday)

same here, got both rejections from NW and Stanford yesterday

UNC, UTSW a while back

NW stanford yesterday as well.
Double Whammy!

First interview tomorrow-> good luck everyone!

starting to freak out that i won't match....

only have 9 IV invites and now 7 rejections

starting to freak out that i won't match....

only have 9 IV invites and now 7 rejections

Not trying to be facetious or rude, but my understanding is that for an AMG, interviewing at 9 places is more than enough to match into internal medicine...

Not trying to be facetious or rude, but my understanding is that for an AMG, interviewing at 9 places is more than enough to match into internal medicine...

Agreed, but its also disheartening to get rejected (rather early on, too) from places we expected/hoped to at least interview at if not match at...

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed, but its also disheartening to get rejected (rather early on, too) from places we expected/hoped to at least interview at if not match at...

Yeah, it's just that I was told that I would be competitive at places like UCSD, but I guess there is no way to predict the applicant pool on a yearly basis. I simply don't have the numbers or the credentials. But it also seems to me that IM is extra competitive this year, although I could be wrong. This whole process has me doubting everything. At this point, I will consider any additional IV invites to be a bonus. At least it will stop me from neurotically checking my email for no reason!

Does anyone know what the deal with UCSF's interview invites are? They seem to have given a few interviews pre-Dean's Letter, but nothing afterwards. My program director said that they started reviewing applications this week; is this true? It's definitely my #1 and I'm still really hoping for an invite.

Does anyone know what the deal with UCSF's interview invites are? They seem to have given a few interviews pre-Dean's Letter, but nothing afterwards. My program director said that they started reviewing applications this week; is this true? It's definitely my #1 and I'm still really hoping for an invite.

I recently scheduled my interview, and they still had plenty of open dates, so don't worry, I'm sure the post-letter invites will be coming out in the next 10 days or so with MGH and BWH.

Yeah, it's just that I was told that I would be competitive at places like UCSD, but I guess there is no way to predict the applicant pool on a yearly basis. I simply don't have the numbers or the credentials. But it also seems to me that IM is extra competitive this year, although I could be wrong. This whole process has me doubting everything. At this point, I will consider any additional IV invites to be a bonus. At least it will stop me from neurotically checking my email for no reason!

I know how you feel man. I know we sound like a bunch of whiners, but, going into this cycle we did feel pretty competitive and like you was told my chairman where I would be and not. For me, I really think it is my med school reputation that is holding me back.

If we can get just get ~3 of the invites we really want, we should be in good shape :luck:

UCSD rejection. Cherry on top of a not so great day

Yeah, me too - in the middle of the night.

It's still the middle of the workday out here. The PC actually works a late shift (11a-8p) a couple days a week. Also, if it's done through ERAS it probably gets queued up and sent whenever ERAS wants to send it.

But...bummer.

It's still the middle of the workday out here. The PC actually works a late shift (11a-8p) a couple days a week. Also, if it's done through ERAS it probably gets queued up and sent whenever ERAS wants to send it.

But...bummer.

Eff OHSU!!

Clearly someone doesn't think I'll do well at altitude.

UCSD, Northwestern

Buffalo, downstate, cpmc and Cornell. Wow this is some kinda record.

On the other hand interviewed at my number one today and I loved it so not too dejected.

Clearly someone doesn't think I'll do well at altitude.

Man oh man. You are a super competitive applicant, you would think they would at least hold on to your application. Don't worry about it though, you are going to match a sexy place ;)

Buffalo, downstate, cpmc and Cornell. Wow this is some kinda record.

On the other hand interviewed at my number one today and I loved it so not too dejected.

Don't worry about it, you already lined up some good interviews. Hopefully today went well!

You'll also find some places will say "no" probably because they think you're out of their league. Interviewing take up precious time and money for a program too. Why invite someone to your shop if you're sure you won't get a high rank?

Just got an invite from UNC two weeks after my rejection......I am sure this is a rare occurrence, but if you really feel strongly about a program, contact them. I did not contact UNC, but I think a well-meaning adviser did for me.
Either way, I can't look a gift horse in the mouth!

Just got an invite from UNC two weeks after my rejection......I am sure this is a rare occurrence, but if you really feel strongly about a program, contact them. I did not contact UNC, but I think a well-meaning adviser did for me.
Either way, I can't look a gift horse in the mouth!

Congrats!

Well...at least you have Virginia Mason :)

rejections have now officially surpassed the interview invites...pretty sure my contributions to SDN will strictly be on this thread now. wondering if there is some unknown red flag on my application? i mean i understand the rejections from schools like ucla, but i didn't necessarily feel that tufts was that great of a program. application process is over.

also, i'm getting tired of people posting their interview trail all over fbook...i'm probably just bitter. also i don't like it when my classmates specifically ask me "oh did you hear back from this program?" i think that is rude and callous, but again it's probably just my bitter attitude affecting my outlook. oh well. kinda wish i could magically avoid all my classmates until match day!

rejections have now officially surpassed the interview invites...pretty sure my contributions to SDN will strictly be on this thread now. wondering if there is some unknown red flag on my application? i mean i understand the rejections from schools like ucla, but i didn't necessarily feel that tufts was that great of a program. application process is over.

also, i'm getting tired of people posting their interview trail all over fbook...i'm probably just bitter. also i don't like it when my classmates specifically ask me "oh did you hear back from this program?" i think that is rude and callous, but again it's probably just my bitter attitude affecting my outlook. oh well. kinda wish i could magically avoid all my classmates until match day!

Hang in there buddy, its a long road and match day isn't the finish line.

Does anyone know at what point we can expect the interview invites to stop going out? Ever since 4 weeks ago, the invites have stopped coming in. I thought the dean's letter would change things but it's been a little over a week in November and still nothing. Anyone?

thanks man-it's just been a particularly grueling week on the rejection front...

I know how you feel man. MSPE release has been a bust thus far lol. I think you are waiting for the same programs as me. Let's just hope for 3 to 5.

Also, its only november 11, we still have a couple good weeks left!

Vandy and a bagel

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Imma jus' gunna leave this 'ere for ya'll . . .

haters-gonna-hate-pink-stormtrooper.jpg

+1

Saturday morning rejection! I can't even enjoy a damn crepe over breakfast on a Saturday these days!

lol DrVN...we seem to be getting all the same rejections on the same days. sigh i could definitely use a nutella crepe or three. i would prefer a fri night rejection over sat morning...blissfully unaware >>>> hungover and angry

lol DrVN...we seem to be getting all the same rejections on the same days. sigh i could definitely use a nutella crepe or three. i would prefer a fri night rejection over sat morning...blissfully unaware >>>> hungover and angry

Finally got the UCLA rejection!

Dude, I had a nutella crepe today. Sooo good! That eased the pain of Vandy.

UCLA, via snail mail. Do people still say snail mail? It sounds so late-90's now.

Status
Not open for further replies.