2011-2012 Rejections

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you explain where? I don't see it in any of the 6 tabs you get after a program search. Am I in the right spot?

BWH:

FREIDA Online program information

Basic information
General Information
Program Faculty
Work schedule
Educational Environment
Employment Policies and Benefits

Brigham and Women's Hospital Program
Identifier: 140-24-21-172
Specialty: Internal Medicine
Print/View
Back to results

General Information
Comments:

Total program size
Year Positions
1 70
2 54
3 48

Primary teaching site Brigham and Women's Hospital

Primary teaching site uses electronic medical records Yes
Program best described as University-based
Requires previous GME No
Offers preliminary positions Yes
Applicants must have passed USMLE Step 2-CS before starting a first-year position in 2012 Yes
Participates in National Resident Matching Program (NRMP) in 2012 for 2012 positions Yes Code(s): 1265140P0, 1265140C0, 1265140M1, 1265140M0, 1265140P1,
Participates in National Resident Matching Program (NRMP) in 2012 for 2013 positions (Advanced/Fellowship match) No Code(s):
Participant in San Francisco match No
Participant in another matching program No
Interviews conducted last year for first year positions 250
Required letters of recommendation 3
Latest date for applications for 2012-2013 10/15/2011
Interview period 12/01/2011-- 01/31/2012
Earliest date for applications for 2013-2014 08/15/2012
Latest date for applications for 2013-2014 11/01/2012
Interview period 12/01/2012-- 01/31/2013

Expectations for IMG applicants include, among other qualifications, the following. Contact the program for additional information.
Current ECFMG certification Yes
US citizenship Yes
US permanent resident Yes
J-1 visa Yes
H1-B visa Yes
F-1 visa Yes
Unrestricted state medical license for this state No

Members don't see this ad.

MGH

FREIDA Online program information

Basic information
General Information
Program Faculty
Work schedule
Educational Environment
Employment Policies and Benefits

Massachusetts General Hospital Program
Identifier: 140-24-11-169
Specialty: Internal Medicine
Print/View
Back to results

General Information
Comments: Tools of Human Investigation (THI): residents are back in the classroom for a 2-week rotation introducing research methodologies. Health policy elective available for senior residents. Global health curriculum and away rotation opportunities.

Total program size
Year Positions
1 64
2 54
3 45

Primary teaching site Massachusetts General Hospital

Primary teaching site uses electronic medical records Yes
Program best described as University-based
Requires previous GME No
Offers preliminary positions Yes
Applicants must have passed USMLE Step 2-CS before starting a first-year position in 2012 Yes
Participates in National Resident Matching Program (NRMP) in 2012 for 2012 positions Yes Code(s): 1261140M0, 1261140P0, 1261140C0, 1261140P1,
Participates in National Resident Matching Program (NRMP) in 2012 for 2013 positions (Advanced/Fellowship match) No Code(s):
Participant in San Francisco match No
Participant in another matching program No
Interviews conducted last year for first year positions 499
Required letters of recommendation 3
Latest date for applications for 2012-2013 11/01/2011
Interview period 11/28/2011-- 01/20/2012
Earliest date for applications for 2013-2014 09/01/2012
Latest date for applications for 2013-2014 11/01/2012
Interview period 11/26/2012-- 01/18/2013

Expectations for IMG applicants include, among other qualifications, the following. Contact the program for additional information.
Current ECFMG certification Yes
US citizenship Yes
US permanent resident Yes
J-1 visa Yes
H1-B visa Yes
F-1 visa No Answer
Unrestricted state medical license for this state No Answer

Members don't see this ad :)
You have interviews from my top 20 :laugh:

I hope you get one from the Harvard programs :)

Thanks and good luck to you :luck:!

I know a lot of people applied to Gen Surg this year. Did they try to get the 88 hour extension as well?

darn. The first one stings a little. Things have been a little quiet for me, perhaps TOO quiet, even after MSPE. We shall see...

I was expecting this one.

On a side note, a very classy rejection from UCSF. :thumbup:

Can you explain where? I don't see it in any of the 6 tabs you get after a program search. Am I in the right spot?

Right there:
CrfsY.jpg

UCSF rejection. I agree, very classy. Here's the text.

Thank you for your interest in UCSF. We have reviewed your application to our
Medicine Residency Program and I am writing to inform you that we will not be
offering you an interview. This year, we have been overwhelmed by the number
and quality of our applicants. The downside is that screening was even more
difficult than usual because of the realization that we can not accommodate
many talented applicants who would have received invitations in the past. I
hope that this mitigates any disappointment this message might cause.

Please accept my best wishes for the upcoming holidays and for your continued
success.

Because the people doing the hiring are going to be wary of the operative skills of those who trained under the new work hour rules since they may not have had the same amount of operative experience that those who trained previously had. A year or two of fellowship gives you a solid block of operative time without all the scut of residency.

There will always be a place for the straight General Surgeon of course, and it's not going to happen next year but it's coming.

Exactly.

Markets where they NEED surgeons (and also where most people don't want to live) it won't be an issue. But places where people do want to live, everything else being equal . . . do the math . . .

Members don't see this ad :)
UCSF rejection. I agree, very classy. Here's the text.

Thank you for your interest in UCSF. We have reviewed your application to our
Medicine Residency Program and I am writing to inform you that we will not be
offering you an interview. This year, we have been overwhelmed by the number
and quality of our applicants. The downside is that screening was even more
difficult than usual because of the realization that we can not accommodate
many talented applicants who would have received invitations in the past. I
hope that this mitigates any disappointment this message might cause.

Please accept my best wishes for the upcoming holidays and for your continued
success.

I'm in good company.
Silver lining? My friend who's house staff there tells me lunch in the cafeteria today was box macaroni.

UCSF rejection as well. I did an away rotation there, got honors and still a rejection. Also disheartening since it was my preinterview #1. But I shouldn't be too upset since I have good interviews elsewhere. MGH tomorrow!

UCSF rejection as well. I did an away rotation there, got honors and still a rejection. Also disheartening since it was my preinterview #1. But I shouldn't be too upset since I have good interviews elsewhere. MGH tomorrow!

Sorry to hear :( With your interviews and by doing an away there that is pretty surprising. Maybe its worth having your PD or Chair make a call or email on your behalf. With your track record, hopefully you will see that MGH invite tomorrow. Good luck to you :luck:

This marks it for me. I am assuming a rejection from the rest of my programs given the competitiveness of this year. I had high hopes for BID.

This marks it for me. I am assuming a rejection from the rest of my programs given the competitiveness of this year. I had high hopes for BID.

Hey DVN:

hang in there man!!!! Don't give up hope :thumbup: I've enjoyed your posts these past months. You WILL match at a great place. Now heed your own advice "Have a nutella crepe, it will make you feel better :) "

-IMforME2

Rejections:

GWU (10/10/2011)
Loyola (12/10/2011)
Northwestern (31/10/2011)
Dartmouth (4/11/2011)
Cornell (9/11/2011)
Buffalo (9/11/2011)

Awaiting: Yale, Georgetown, Rush, University of Chicago Northshore, University of Illinois, University of Kansas, MGH, Mount Auburn, UMass, JHU, Columbia, University of Minnesota, Beth Israel, Montefiore, NYU, Case Western, OSHU, Temple, Baylor, Brown, University of Vermont

Accepted: Tufts/Baystate, Roger Williams, University of Connecticut, University of Arizona, Cook County, St. Elizabeth's Medical Center, SUNY Stonybrook, Mayo Clinic, Cleveland Clinic

Sorry to hear :(

Thanks DVN,

It looks like our rejections and
interview invites have been consistently
emailed out together. Not too surprising I guess as seeing
how our stats are very similar.

I have about 16 that I'm waiting on. Not really holding my breath
though. At this point I'll be extremely happy with even one more.

Let's make a deal.
Whoever gets more interviews from the list
they have remaining buys the other a meal some day.
Seeing how are lists are similar and both wanting to go
into Heme/Onc there could be a good chance our paths may cross
someday. Heck, I'll throw in a couple of Nutella Crepes. haha

Still waiting on: UCLA, UCSF, Colorado, Yale, Emory, University of Chicago, B&W, MGH, JHU, UMICH, WashU, Duke, MSSM, Columbia, Cornell, Baylor,

Thanks DVN,

It looks like our rejections and
interview invites have been consistently
emailed out together. Not too surprising I guess as seeing
how our stats are very similar.

I have about 16 that I'm waiting on. Not really holding my breath
though. At this point I'll be extremely happy with even one more.

Let's make a deal.
Whoever gets more interviews from the list
they have remaining buys the other a meal some day.
Seeing how are lists are similar and both wanting to go
into Heme/Onc there could be a good chance our paths may cross
someday. Heck, I'll throw in a couple of Nutella Crepes. haha

Still waiting on: UCLA, UCSF, Colorado, Yale, Emory, University of Chicago, B&W, MGH, JHU, UMICH, WashU, Duke, MSSM, Columbia, Cornell, Baylor,

:laugh:

You are on! I'll take you out for some ethnic food if you like. Indian?

I am waiting on 16 places: MGH, BWH, Boston U, JHU, NYU, Columbia, Cornell, MSSM, PItt, Duke, Michigan, UChicago, Washu, UTSW, OHSU, and Colorado. Out of that list, I am really hoping for UChicago or OHSU. But like you, if I get one I will be excited.

:laugh:

You are on! I'll take you out for some ethnic food if you like. Indian?

I am waiting on 16 places: MGH, BWH, Boston U, JHU, NYU, Columbia, Cornell, MSSM, PItt, Duke, Michigan, UChicago, Washu, UTSW, OHSU, and Colorado. Out of that list, I am really hoping for UChicago or OHSU. But like you, if I get one I will be excited.

Hahaha, Looks like I'm pulling into the lead.
Lead for rejections that is.

Ethnic foods it is.
I'm adding Korean Barbecue, Thai and Vietnamese to the list.
I guess that really depends on where we end up though.
We might just have to settle for panda express.

Colorado....$@&"

Sorry man, I know you were really looking forward to that one. But, you are going to Virginia Mason right? Place is awesome. I love them even though they rejected me. Don't worry about UC. Let's go to Wisconsin :)

Hahaha, Looks like I'm pulling into the lead.
Lead for rejections that is.

Ethnic foods it is.
I'm adding Korean Barbecue, Thai and Vietnamese to the list.
I guess that really depends on where we end up though.
We might just have to settle for panda express.

We can always find a dinky thai place. Panda express has stepped up there game lately.

Sorry man, I know you were really looking forward to that one. But, you are going to Virginia Mason right? Place is awesome. I love them even though they rejected me. Don't worry about UC. Let's go to Wisconsin :)

We can always find a dinky thai place. Panda express has stepped up there game lately.

Wow. Now, I KNOW this whole process is a crapshoot. A kid from my class who failed step 1 got an interview at Virginia Mason. He's not nothing else on his app that really stands out, either.

I was surprised by VM. I already got interviews from decent community places (Scripps and UC-Northshore). I was also born in Seattle lol. Oh well, it was not meant to be...

UCSF and BIDMC...didn't count them as potential interview invites anyway.

I was surprised by VM. I already got interviews from decent community places (Scripps and UC-Northshore). I was also born in Seattle lol. Oh well, it was not meant to be...

I mean, judging by the interviews you got, it's pretty obvious that you did at least fairly well on the steps. This guy FAILED... as in NOT PASS step 1. I know nothing about VM, but to give a less-than-qualified person an invitation and reject a solid applicant is just asinine. It basically shows how much of a crapshoot this whole process is.

I mean, judging by the interviews you got, it's pretty obvious that you did at least fairly well on the steps. This guy FAILED... as in NOT PASS step 1. I know nothing about VM, but to give a less-than-qualified person an invitation and reject a solid applicant is just asinine. It basically shows how much of a crapshoot this whole process is.

I've said this before. The whole process costs programs time and money too. They're not going to invite people who they think won't rank them highly.

ucsf and bidmc for me too. still waiting on jhu, bwh, and mgh. i am less inclined to check my email now...

Thanks. I actually cancelled my VM interview though. I have heard good things and was interested in checking them out (plus Seattle would be bad ass), but I live in a hole and the airfare was going to be ~$700. It probably has the other 2 community programs on my interview list beat (Providence Portland and Banner Good Sam in Phoenix) but in the end I couldn't justify the ca$h money for a program that probably wouldn't crack my top 6 ish.

Anyway, thanks for the encouragement. I hope you get a pat on the back from MGH tomorrow (and then you rank them #2 behind Wisconsin, lol)!

I've said this before. The whole process costs programs time and money too. They're not going to invite people who they think won't rank them highly.

Agreed. I also think that it's easier for top programs to adjust to an environment with more, very competitive applicants in it.

If we take UCSF @ their word that they had to shift their interview strategy this year because of how strong their applicants were (even though I got that exact same rejection email - verbatim - from them 6 years ago), you can see that it would be relatively easy for programs of that caliber to just shift their Step 1 cutoff up and only interview 260+/AOA folks and still have 10 interviewees for every available position.

Programs a little lower on the totem pole, and community programs in particular, OTOH will see the same mess of mid/low-tier applicants they always do but now with a pile of stronger applicants as well who they just assume are pikers trying to pad their interview numbers. So, for the reasons jdh suggests, these folks don't get interviews because "they'll never come here." It will only be in hindsight that these programs realize they could have gotten a stronger batch of residents because of the competitiveness of a particular year.

Last edited:
UPenn
Colorado
BID

fun couple of days... Colorado stung.

Eerily quiet this morning.. Had three rejections before this time yesterday.
Calm before the storm?

Eerily quiet this morning.. Had three rejections before this time yesterday.
Calm before the storm?

That's what I'm thinking. I'm sensing an MGH rejection today. We only have ~15ish programs that we haven't heard from. We may NEVER hear from them :laugh:

One thing that drives me crazy is knowing that some people who were rejected initially later received an interview. This only provides the slightest bit of hope to a lost cause. This is essentially how I have felt my entire life being a Cubs fan.

That's what I'm thinking. I'm sensing an MGH rejection today. We only have ~15ish programs that we haven't heard from. We may NEVER hear from them :laugh:

One thing that drives me crazy is knowing that some people who were rejected initially later received an interview. This only provides the slightest bit of hope to a lost cause. This is essentially how I have felt my entire life being a Cubs fan.

Look, you've got basically the same programs competing for essentially the same batch of candidates, many of which have already secured interview dates at other programs. However, once the big invite to the big name players goes out, people will start cancelling to make sure they can get those interviews. Programs right below the bigs know this and will wait until that big move around happens before sending out more invites.

Must be a new record here...got my second "we know we rejected you...but" email today.

I would love to go to this one, but I can't schedule because the dates I am free (Dec 14, Jan 18) are booked. Hoping someone cancels soon....

No word from Boston, NY, Baltimore.....

Look, you've got basically the same programs competing for essentially the same batch of candidates, many of which have already secured interview dates at other programs. However, once the big invite to the big name players goes out, people will start cancelling to make sure they can get those interviews. Programs right below the bigs know this and will wait until that big move around happens before sending out more invites.

See below. Those are the invites that are making a lot of us have false hope. I know of at least 2 now who got the NU invite post rejection. Northwestern and UofC are killin me!

Must be a new record here...got my second "we know we rejected you...but" email today.

I would love to go to this one, but I can't schedule because the dates I am free (Dec 14, Jan 18) are booked. Hoping someone cancels soon....

No word from Boston, NY, Baltimore.....

Grats Bandgeek! Hopefully someone can help ya out!

What big names are left? Isn't it just MGH, BWH, and JHH?

Status
Not open for further replies.