2011-2012 Rejections

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
mother ****** U Washington :(

I'm not going to hate on that place, but no program fell further in my pre-interview rank list --> Actual, Certified Rank List than UWash (1 --> 11 if you're curious). Yes, it sucks to not feel loved but...perhaps for the best.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm not going to hate on that place, but no program fell further in my pre-interview rank list --> Actual, Certified Rank List than UWash (1 --> 11 if you're curious). Yes, it sucks to not feel loved but...perhaps for the best.

That does definitely make me feel better. I am just getting worried now that I have 2 big rejections. My best interview by far is Mayo right now. I really am hoping for UChicago or Northwestern.

.......My best interview by far is Mayo right now........

No more love for Wisconsin? ...Mayo Schmayo

DVN quote:

Why not, I'm bored :)

17. Cornell
18. UChicago
19. NYU
20. MSSM
21. UCSD
22. UAB
23. Wisconsin
24. UNC
25. Virginia
26. Mayo
27. Emory
28. Boston U
29. OHSU
30. Colorodo
31. Baylor

Members don't see this ad :)
No more love for UW? ...Mayo Schmayo

DVN quote:

Why not, I'm bored :)

17. Cornell
18. UChicago
19. NYU
20. MSSM
21. UCSD
22. UAB
23. Wisconsin
24. UNC
25. Virginia
26. Mayo
27. Emory
28. Boston U
29. OHSU
30. Colorodo
31. Baylor

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Those are the ramblin' ratings of a dumb***** third year med student (me)! I think for what I want in a program, Mayo and Wisconsin are looking great for me. Family type cities, strong H/O programs, and solid IM training.

But you definitely got me!

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Those are the ramblin' ratings of a dumb***** third year med student (me)! I think for what I want in a program, Mayo and Wisconsin are looking great for me. Family type cities, strong H/O programs, and solid IM training.

But you definitely got me!

DVN you also have UVA!

I think you are in a good position.

I have felt some significant regional bias in my interviews. I have heard from mayo, CC, washu, michigan, and NU but have no love from solid east coast places.

DVN you also have UVA!

I think you are in a good position.

I have felt some significant regional bias in my interviews. I have heard from mayo, CC, washu, michigan, and NU but have no love from solid east coast places.

I was laughing about this with a friend yesterday. Thinking how ridiculous we sound when we (meaning me)) complain about not having such and such interview. When in fact I am very fortunate to have solid interviews. It's all perspective.

But like you I am sure, it would be nice to tack on a few more interviews that make us all giddy on the inside!

I am hoping that by mid November, a lot of cancellations start to hit and we get some more interviews in.

I agree, ranked UWash 7 out of 8.

Hmm so No stanford invite and they are notorious for letting people hang. I counting this one as a rejection.

Univ. of Washington, JHU-Bayview, Oschner Clinic

Hmm so No stanford invite and they are notorious for letting people hang. I counting this one as a rejection.

Honestly, homie . . . don't hold your breath on Stanford. More than probably any other program they go with guys interested in hard research and staying in academic medicine as physician scientists.

Members don't see this ad :)
True dat. Learning the MD/PhD hasn't turned out to be the 'golden ticket' to IM residency my MSTP sold it as 8 years ago. Le sigh.

you and me both, brother (or sister)!

stanford's research-pathway program is still reviewing applications and in the process of giving out interviews so i assume that means the categorical program is, as well! i'm told it's still early in the interview giving process for the big name programs...

Is released Step2 CK score required for UCSF to get an interview?

Is released Step2 CK score required for UCSF to get an interview?

Presumably no:

USMLE SCORES
There are no minimum USMLE score requirements for application to the residency program. Candidates must have passed the USMLE Step 1 and Step 2 on their first attempt. Please note, UCSF now requires applicants to have passed both the clinical knowledge and clinical skills sections of Step 2 by February 15th in order to be ranked by our program.

http://medicine.ucsf.edu/education/residency/application/uscanada.html

when the rejections eventually begin to outnumber the invites, i will be sad

The hype of post-MSPE seems to be bust for a bunch of us lol

Northwestern rejection...really wanted an invite too.

this one actually hurt....i'm getting a chain of rejections from schools who all invited me to interview for medschool. spooky trend? so many rejections, so few invites :(

this one actually hurt....i'm getting a chain of rejections from schools who all invited me to interview for medschool. spooky trend? so many rejections, so few invites :(

:(:(

Man, this was my number one choice and I'm from Chicago. I was born in Seattle, so U Dub hurt, but this one really stings.

P.S. Thanks for the PM response JDH, bad timing huh....

Man, this was my number one choice and I'm from Chicago. I was born in Seattle, so U Dub hurt, but this one really stings.

Well, IM is getting more competitive at the higher ends programs. NWern is known for being a nice (read: cush) place to do residency with a great name behind it. Honestly, I've never been very impressed with them, FWIW. I think they get a better rep than they deserve.

I am from the Chicago suburbs and Northwestern was my number one choice too. Maybe University of Chicago will come through for us?

Well, IM is getting more competitive at the higher ends programs. NWern is known for being a nice (read: cush) place to do residency with a great name behind it. Honestly, I've never been very impressed with them, FWIW. I think they get a better rep than they deserve.

I've heard this from others. I think its the hope of staying home that bites :oops:

I am from the Chicago suburbs and Northwestern was my number one choice too. Maybe University of Chicago will come through for us?

Me to (western burbs). Chairman from my school explicitly told me, I think you should be competitive for all the midwest programs EXCEPT University of Chicago and WashU...I just told my wife that it looks like we are moving again!

the bolus of rejections for the day continues.....wtf programs?!

With Stanford and Northwestern today, it is nearly a fact that MGH, BWH, JHU, Columbia, etc will all be rejections. Today has definitely been brutal. Still another hour or so for a rejection or invite to come in.

UCLA via snail mail

With Stanford and Northwestern today, it is nearly a fact that MGH, BWH, JHU, Columbia, etc will all be rejections. Today has definitely been brutal. Still another hour or so for a rejection or invite to come in.

They got me too.

My excitement for checking my email is now dunzo!

Yeah I thought we kept reading about the flood of invites to come post-MSPE lol on the bright side I guess it's good for the field that medicine's finally getting competitive again!

Is it ever appropriate to email a program at this point expressing your interest and your hope to receive an invite?

I know others in my class who are applying to different programs (not medicine) have had some success with this.

Thanks guys, and stay strong

I am pretty surprised with the rejections to you guys though. You guys are MD/PhD, etc. Makes me wonder who is applying this year??

I am pretty surprised with the rejections to you guys though. You guys are MD/PhD, etc. Makes me wonder who is applying this year??

apparently everyone who had the capacity to do derm, rad onc, ophtho, rads etc has decided to apply into IM this yr...definitely the case at my home institution. this blows.

My excitement for checking my email is now dunzo!

Yeah I thought we kept reading about the flood of invites to come post-MSPE lol on the bright side I guess it's good for the field that medicine's finally getting competitive again!

The lies! :confused:

apparently everyone who had the capacity to do derm, rad onc, ophtho, rads etc has decided to apply into IM this yr...definitely the case at my home institution. this blows.

Fortunately for me, just about every AOA person in my class is applying for Ortho or Urology. But, I feel like I am meeting more and more sleepers. This makes me worry about 3 years from now when we apply to fellowships. Never-ending story in medicine.

The lies! :confused:

Fortunately for me, just about every AOA person in my class is applying for Ortho or Urology. But, I feel like I am meeting more and more sleepers. This makes me worry about 3 years from now when we apply to fellowships. Never-ending story in medicine.

I know our place doubled the number of folks going into IM from last year. FML

Good thing that my significant other wasn't real excited about this one. He hates California and talked me out of applying to UCLA and San Diego.

I am not getting any emails from the coastal schools (MGH, BWH, MSSM, UWash, Duke, UPenn, JHH), though I know others are. No rejections (yet), but not interviews either. Looks like I will be staying in the Midwest.

Looks like the rest of application season is going to be a humbling experience!

Status
Not open for further replies.