2011-2012 Rejections

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Must be a new record here...got my second "we know we rejected you...but" email today.

I would love to go to this one, but I can't schedule because the dates I am free (Dec 14, Jan 18) are booked. Hoping someone cancels soon....

No word from Boston, NY, Baltimore.....

Nice man! I have to admit I'm a little jealous. No post-rejection love for Elixir. Just curious, but did you or your advisor contact UPenn after the rejection? I'm thinking of asking my Int Med PD to maybe put in a word for me for UPenn, but I don't really know how much that would help. Congrats again!

As far as I know no one from my program contacted Penn. I know that for the other program my adviser did call a friend at that program, and the friend contacted their PD requesting that I get an interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some of this is random and some is probably a regional bias. This week... UCSF rejection... BWH invite... yet to hear from UW and OHSU, but not expecting invites.

I know that UWash is bogged down in apps and are hoping to have all there apps reviewed by Thanksgiving.

Must be a new record here...got my second "we know we rejected you...but" email today.

See my post up there about why I think this is going to happen a lot this year if it's really as competitive as people are saying it is. Top programs are going to adjust their interview criteria up to get the numbers they need to fill. The mid-tier (and mid-major) programs will do so as well, but only after realizing they may have already rejected a bunch of people (either for being too good, or not good enough) that they're going to have to interview if they want to fill with the best possible candidates.

See my post up there about why I think this is going to happen a lot this year if it's really as competitive as people are saying it is. Top programs are going to adjust their interview criteria up to get the numbers they need to fill. The mid-tier (and mid-major) programs will do so as well, but only after realizing they may have already rejected a bunch of people (either for being too good, or not good enough) that they're going to have to interview if they want to fill with the best possible candidates.

Exactly.

No one wants to be this season's duke or emory! :smuggrin:

Exactly.

No one wants to be this season's duke or emory! :smuggrin:

I really hope that this is the trend this year. Just on SDN we are seeing a lot of programs already rescind rejections. I hear Rush got ~1800 applications which is up from last year. I think programs in big cities that were once not so competitive are going to spike. I wonder how this will translate to the competitiveness of fellowships for our class.

I really hope that this is the trend this year. Just on SDN we are seeing a lot of programs already rescind rejections. I hear Rush got ~1800 applications which is up from last year. I think programs in big cities that were once not so competitive are going to spike. I wonder how this will translate to the competitiveness of fellowships for our class.

For the already competitive fellowships (cards, GI, heme/onc) it will get worse to brutal, but for the rest where half to most of the slots are filled by FMGs, it won't change much for AMGs the next few years as programs begins to stop dealing with visa issues and only take citizens and green-card holders.

Anyone have any idea why the sudden spike in IM applications?

Aside from more people getting interested in categorical IM, I have an alternate theory: more applicants to competitive specialties (derm, rads, etc) are applying to medicine as backup due to the match getting more competitive, hence the appearance of an influx more qualified applicants.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have any idea why the sudden spike in IM applications?

Aside from more people getting interested in categorical IM, I have an alternate theory: more applicants to competitive specialties (derm, rads, etc) are applying to medicine as backup due to the match getting more competitive, hence the appearance of an influx more qualified applicants.

I honestly don't think too many people are double applying. If I had to guess, it's the hospital medicine factor, which looks great on paper. Back before hospital medicine became widespread, IM meant either specializing or doing outpatient primary care. Now, hospital medicine provides a good alternative.

For those of us that are new around here, Duke/Emory had this problem last year, or historically?

They were both a few years ago (and in different years) but I don't remember exactly when.

IIRC, Duke was two years ago and Emory three . . .

Both programs didn't recruit strong enough and had multiple spots to scramble in people, something huge like 10. I'm sure they found it embarrassing and instructive :smuggrin:

IIRC, Duke was two years ago and Emory three . . .

Both programs didn't recruit strong enough and had multiple spots to scramble in people, something huge like 10. I'm sure they found it embarrassing and instructive :smuggrin:

Thanks. I know Duke Cardiology had a similar problem last year (they matched 13 into Cards, but no-one stayed home, and they were caught unprepared) but I hadn't heard about the residency mistake... they must have forgotten to mention it during the interview day :rolleyes:

Thanks. I know Duke Cardiology had a similar problem last year (they matched 13 into Cards, but no-one stayed home, and they were caught unprepared) but I hadn't heard about the residency mistake... they must have forgotten to mention it during the interview day :rolleyes:

To be fair, they (and Emory) have gotten their shiz together since so it's reasonable to not bring it up.

No word from northwestern... No rejection, no wait-list email, no invite. What gives?

Beth Israel today. Not surprised but I was holding out hope since I didn't hear anything from them for a while.

Last couple of days have been quiet. MGH is single handily controlling the anxiety for a couple thousand people lol. I need closure damn it :)

The last couple of weeks I have noticed that the majority of the action seems to happen Monday and Tuesday (at least for me).

No love from MGH... was hopeful after getting invites from BWH and BID. Oh well, I've been very lucky and have lots of great invites.

No love from MGH... was hopeful after getting invites from BWH and BID. Oh well, I've been very lucky and have lots of great invites.

Yep- I'm in the exact same situation. I was hoping they all would go together, but really, I never expected the BWH one so I'm pretty excited.

Yep- I'm in the exact same situation. I was hoping they all would go together, but really, I never expected the BWH one so I'm pretty excited.

Glad to hear I'm not alone, and I was shocked by the BWH invite as well! Have you heard back about your interview date? I have not gotten any confirmation.

Me neither (have not gotten confirmation from BWH). It would be nice if everyone used interview broker... confirmation so quick and easy

Yes- I just heard back from BWH a few minutes ago and got my first choice.

Yes- I just heard back from BWH a few minutes ago and got my first choice.

Same here!... I was beginning to get worried.

On another note:
I like that the MGH rejection letter said... "With thousands of outstanding applicants for a limited number of positions, decisions about interviews are inevitably somewhat
arbitrary. Undoubtedly, many applicants destined for distinguished careers in
medicine are turned away."... makes me feel better.

Same here!... I was beginning to get worried.

On another note:
I like that the MGH rejection letter said... "With thousands of outstanding applicants for a limited number of positions, decisions about interviews are inevitably somewhat
arbitrary. Undoubtedly, many applicants destined for distinguished careers in
medicine are turned away."... makes me feel better.

:laugh::laugh:

I was thinking the same thing. I rather them say, ACTUALLY you would never stand a chance with us. :smuggrin:

Posting to keep awake at the airport.

I'm waiting on 15 programs:

Almost definite rejections: BWH, JHU, Duke, Michigan, WashU, UCSF, Columbia, UChicago, Cornell, UTSW, Pitt, MSSM, OHSU

Slight hope: NYU, Boston U

MGH.
13 left

Haven't heard from : UCLA, Yale, Emory, University of Chicago, B&W, JHU, UMICH, WashU, Duke, MSSM, Columbia, Cornell, Baylor.

Looks like I'm going to have to start finalizing all my flight plans.

MGH.
13 left

Haven't heard from : UCLA, Yale, Emory, University of Chicago, B&W, JHU, UMICH, WashU, Duke, MSSM, Columbia, Cornell, Baylor.

Looks like I'm going to have to start finalizing all my flight plans.

You know, we realistically may get 0 interviews from now on out. That means we tie on our bet. So am I buying you korean bbq and you buying me some chicken tikka?

:laugh::laugh:

I was thinking the same thing. I rather them say, ACTUALLY you would never stand a chance with us. :smuggrin:

Also, love that they apparently sent the same exact email last year and forgot to change the date... and that they felt the need to send a second rejection letter to correct the error.

Damn it MGH! I get the point!

lol for a BRIEF second I thought I got the rescinded rejection you get an invite email!

I'm surprised by how you guys got BWH but NOT MGH.

Also, love that they apparently sent the same exact email last year and forgot to change the date... and that they felt the need to send a second rejection letter to correct the error.

Same for me.
Stay classy, MGH

MGH rejection...twice! :laugh:

Still waiting on my final three: B&W, Columbia, NYU.

You know, we realistically may get 0 interviews from now on out. That means we tie on our bet. So am I buying you korean bbq and you buying me some chicken tikka?

Sounds good man. I was trying to send out a personalized email to one of the programs I had left on my list. Took way longer than I had anticipated... It might be best that I just focus on the ones I already have. Overall, I can't complain though. Looking back Im really glad I applied to the number of I programs I did (>40).

MGH Rejection. Just waiting for Mt. Sinai, Columbia, Duke, and BWH.

haters.jpg

MGH Double rejection (didnt matter much)

Dartmouth rejection (Really mattered to me)

Status
Not open for further replies.