2011-2012 Drexel Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
GOT MY ACCEPTANCE LETTER TODAY! I interviewed Feb 8th for anyone who is wondering.

Hi, do you mind telling me when you got the status that says a decision/final decision has been made, and did yours say "final" or just "a decision"

Please and thanks.

Anyone else, do you think it helps to call them? I interviewed during the end of february, still waiting to hear from them =/ :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, do you mind telling me when you got the status that says a decision/final decision has been made, and did yours say "final" or just "a decision"

Please and thanks.

Anyone else, do you think it helps to call them? I interviewed during the end of february, still waiting to hear from them =/ :scared:

Took me almost exactly 9 weeks from the date of my interview to have a decision in my hands (I was told by the admissions office that this was a normal time frame), so you should probably sit tight a little longer if you're still under the 9 week mark and have already had a status change. If not, read my previous posts about calling them -- it helped me. If you are still at "Your interview has been scheduled...", then I would probably give them a call. Good luck!

Took me almost exactly 9 weeks from the date of my interview to have a decision in my hands (I was told by the admissions office that this was a normal time frame), so you should probably sit tight a little longer if you're still under the 9 week mark and have already had a status change. If not, read my previous posts about calling them -- it helped me. If you are still at "Your interview has been scheduled...", then I would probably give them a call. Good luck!
I think this is my 8th week and this is my status so far
Your file is currently under review by the admissions committee. No decision has yet been made regarding your admission status to Drexel of University.

I guess it wouldn't hurt to call to check in case.

Thanks for the info! : )

Members don't see this ad :)
Your file is currently under review by the admissions committee. No decision has yet been made regarding your admission status to Drexel of University.

I have been waiting for 12 weeks now and if I remember correctly (from earlier posts) someone from this current cycle had to wait for 16 weeks. I don't really understand how the adcom reviews the files that are sent to the committee because it doesn't seem like it's in chronological order. I can only assume that they pull the stronger candidates out of the pile faster.

It has been exactly 11 weeks as of tomorrow since my interview. My status continues to read that I will be sent to committee shortly, although I called and they said I was currently in committee last week. Any thoughts on chances of acceptance at this point, so late in the game?

It has been exactly 11 weeks as of tomorrow since my interview. My status continues to read that I will be sent to committee shortly, although I called and they said I was currently in committee last week. Any thoughts on chances of acceptance at this point, so late in the game?

I'm in a similar situation, except that I'm entering my 13th week of waiting. I got the same answer when I called but my status hasn't changed. I guess they just keep pushing us to the back, but I'm trying not to lose heart. No news isn't the same as rejection.

Honestly, IFM-1 sucks. There's no nice way to put it. The exam schedule was hectic I felt there were a TON of things that could have been improved.

If I had to do it all over, though, I would still go with IFM. I can't imagine being forced to sit down with a group of med students 3x per week to discuss cases. I prefer to learn on my own. With IFM you really do learn on your own and you use the lectures as a supplement. The order (or even if you watch them at all) of the lectures is completely up to you. I loved having 90% control over my schedule during the first two years (because I watched everything online).

In the end it doesn't matter which one you end up going with, though. Both tracks get dumped together during MS3/4, and those rotations are what's important for residency. Your step 1 score is mostly determined by your study habits during the ~5-6 weeks before the exam.

Thank you for your honesty. I am trying to choose between NYMC and Drexel. I loved Drexel when I visited, but the format of IFM-1 seems dreadful. This is going to be hard decision...

I have been waiting for 12 weeks now and if I remember correctly (from earlier posts) someone from this current cycle had to wait for 16 weeks. I don't really understand how the adcom reviews the files that are sent to the committee because it doesn't seem like it's in chronological order. I can only assume that they pull the stronger candidates out of the pile faster.

wow. 12 weeks? I don't think I can wait any longer... it's driving me insane.

Good Luck to all of you, I know its nerve racking. I was in your boat. I am a male M1 at Temple Med. I have a nice large 2 BR apt in Dupont Towers off of Henry Ave. close car drive to school. My roommate is moving out, so I need to find someone else. Rent $650 ( all utilities included) except internet $58/2. Smart card Washer & dryer on each floor no waiting. Reserved parking spot, nice Manayunk neighborhood. Last year I did a lot of apt/house hunting around the Med school and close proximity, this was nicest for the best deal. Non-smoker preferred. Lease could start as early as July 1 must start by Aug 1, 2012 for 1 year.

PM me if you are interested,
thanks Michael

Hey, for what it's worth, I have the same status, and as of today it has been exactly 8 weeks since I interviewed (2/28). Let's hope that we may have good news this Friday after the AdCom meets!! :xf::luck:

Hey all, I was wondering if someone could help me out.

If I understand correctly, getting "a decision has been reached" means you've most likely been waitlisted, and " a final decision has been reached" means you've either been accepted or rejected?

Has anyone received "a decision has been reached", and then subsequently been accepted or rejected?

Thanks again.

Hey all, I was wondering if someone could help me out.

If I understand correctly, getting "a decision has been reached" means you've most likely been waitlisted, and " a final decision has been reached" means you've either been accepted or rejected?

Has anyone received "a decision has been reached", and then subsequently been accepted or rejected?

Thanks again.

IIRC, all posts on here have implicated the following:

"a decision" ALWAYS means a waitlist
"a final decision" ALWAYS means an acceptance or rejection

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got it switched back to the " final decision" again.

i had the same "final decision" status last week and they changed it to "a decision" staus today. doesn't make any sense to me. guess it's a waitlist :(

Just got it switched back to the " final decision" again.

Lol. This kind of thing almost makes me believe that the adcoms are reading these boards and torturing us on purpose.

My status just updated to "a decision has been reached" so I assume I am joining the waitlisted.

I interviewed on January 18th, and today, April, 26th my status changed to a decision has been made

Last edited:
Could someone link me to the facebook group please? I am having a hard time finding it

got the "a decision has been reached" status today :( .... any suggestions? I'm thinking about sending an extra letter of recommendation, my final grades, and a letter of interest within the next couple of weeks.

got the "a decision has been reached" status today :( .... any suggestions? I'm thinking about sending an extra letter of recommendation, my final grades, and a letter of interest within the next couple of weeks.

Do you know if Drexel's waitlist is ranked? Do they accept any sort of updates after they've decided to put you on the wait list?

Has anyone gotten a confirmation from Drexel after sending in an update of any kind?

Thanks

Do you know if Drexel's waitlist is ranked? Do they accept any sort of updates after they've decided to put you on the wait list?

Has anyone gotten a confirmation from Drexel after sending in an update of any kind?

Thanks

I don't know if it's ranked, but I did give my interviewer an updated transcript at my interview. In addition, elsewhere on the thread people have sent updates, I can't recall though whether confirmations were sent. I figure it can't hurt to try.

I recently called them first to see which email I should send my update to, and in the email I asked them to please email back as confirmation that they received my update, and they did email back.

Drexel's waitlist is ranked. They won't tell you where they are.

Updates will help, but if the threads are any indication, most updates do not receive any confirmation.

Good luck to everyone on the WL, and congrats to the new acceptees!

I recently called them first to see which email I should send my update to, and in the email I asked them to please email back as confirmation that they received my update, and they did email back.

If it's any consolation, there is movement on the WL up until about early July, in last year's thread, and up to late July, in the previous year's. From what I saw, the waitlist does not move until they have made a decision on ALL interviewees ( Late May, early June in those threads), and there seems to be pretty good movement. Keep in mind, however, that not all applicants use SDN, so the numbers may or may not be greater. The only thing that's certain at this point is that we will be waiting for a month or so. So, there's hope yet for those of us, but we have tight. Good luck to all of us! :luck:

Last edited:
has anyone with the final decision/a decision status from april 12th/ april 19th recieved their mail? i've been waiting for my mail for about 2 weeks and every time I call the office, i'm being told that the mail "has just been sent"...

never mind... just found out i got accepted:love:
been a long year for me

has anyone with the final decision/a decision status from april 12th/ april 19th recieved their mail? i've been waiting for my mail for about 2 weeks and every time I call the office, i'm being told that the mail "has just been sent"...

never mind... just found out i got accepted:love:
been a long year for me

Congrats! :thumbup:

Do you mind giving sharing when you interviewed?
:xf: I'm glad to hear they are still giving out acceptances at this point in the cycle :xf:

Can someone please explain how to get research positions at other schools? Is Drexel in partnership with the others? Do you have to apply to the other schools research and are they receptive of Drexel students? Thanks. Decision Day is Coming!

just got a decision change that a letter will be mailed to a preferred address today. thought it was different that they changed my decision page today (Monday)

Can someone please explain how to get research positions at other schools? Is Drexel in partnership with the others? Do you have to apply to the other schools research and are they receptive of Drexel students? Thanks. Decision Day is Coming!

There is no official partnership. Generally, my friends have cold e-mailed physicians who shared their research interests/specialty of interest, and have gotten at least some response. Lack of response is usually due to the PI being busy rather than the PI not being interested in help from students from outside institutions. They nearly always want help and know that we need/want research experience. (Case in point, we had a summer med student from Drexel when I worked at one of the other Philly hospitals.)

My status online changed to a final decision has been made on thursday april 26th and I received an acceptance by mail on monday april 30th.

Just withdrew my acceptance. CA resident. gl everyone. D-Day cometh. :thumbup:

I also withdrew my acceptance today. Good luck to those of you on the waitlist!

Withdrew my spot today. Drexel is a great place...I just have one that is greater!

Good luck to all of you, especially those with only wait-lists so far...that was me a few years ago. I hope you get my spot here.

Did anyone who had a decision/letter will be sent update this week get anything in the mail yet?? :scared:

getting very very anxious :(

Did anyone who had a decision/letter will be sent update this week get anything in the mail yet?? :scared:

getting very very anxious :(

I got mine today, so I'm sure yours should be arriving shortly :xf:.... let's hope we can get these newly vacant spots!!!! GL! :luck::D

finally received my pre-interview rejection letter via snail mail. boy that took a while lol

I got mine today, so I'm sure yours should be arriving shortly :xf:.... let's hope we can get these newly vacant spots!!!! GL! :luck::D

Ah, okay thanks for the info..... ahh how i wish the mailmen worked on sundays. :(
:luck: good luck to you! :luck:

Trying to decide between Drexel and NYMC. Anybody in a similar situation? Which one would you choose?

Withdrew my spot today. Drexel is a great place...I just have one that is greater!

Good luck to all of you, especially those with only wait-lists so far...that was me a few years ago. I hope you get my spot here.

Did Drexel send you an email confirming your withdrawal?

Thx

Status
Not open for further replies.